IGNORED

CARLIN? Seriously?

Daenerys

Where on earth did the Bates family get this name from? I actually don't think it's terrible but the only other Carlin I've ever come across is this guy, who isn't exactly ATI-approved...

MeSSwKffj9o

I noticed that too.

My mother got in trouble for playing Carlin in the student lounge in high school. A nun walked in and opened her mouth to say something right as Carlin yelled his list of naughty words. From what I hear, the look on the nun's face was worth the detention.

I actually had 2 girls named Carlin in my classes when I was in school, and I'm also from TN (not too far from where the Bates are from). I always thought it was a common name....

Hah! One of my students is named after George Carlin and Christopher Hitches and his parents are very vocal about their athiesm.

Most likely it's a family name?

I'm not sure where they got the name, but Carlin Bates really lucked out in the looks dept. I think she's the prettiest of the Bates girls.

Hello! Seems as good a place as any to introduce myself. I'm Bloo. I don't watch the Duggars since I don't do much TV, but I do read about them whenever I can.

Anyway, I also follow name trends as a hobby. Carlin likely has nothing to do with a namesake and everything to do with the fact that within the last few years, parents of little girls like to stick -lyn or -lin on to the back of every single-syllable name or name-like-sound they can. It stems from a misunderstanding of Caitlin- the actual, original pronunciation isn't quite Kate-Lynn, but it stuck. So now we have Ashlyn, Breelin, Jolynne, all sorts of things.

All said, I think it's ugly, and they would have been much better off going with Carly/Carolyn/Caroline Lynn, or something like that.

Exactly! I went through the Bates' website when the Pris/David wedding was on, that name stumped me the most (and with that collection of bad names, that's impressive!) My mind immediately went to the comedian too.

The only Carlin I've ever known was a boy, and knowing his family I really doubt he was named after George Carlin.

I think if it was spelled "Carlyn" I would think it was a girl's name, but otherwise it seems masculine to me.

I like it, I even briefly considered it for my dd a few years ago, but it would have been in honour of Mr. George Carlin (I think I have a thing for Georges - my son is named after Mr. Harrison ;) )

It's their 13(?)-year-old daughter's name. The one with the looong straight dark brown hair. Edit - Here she is! gilbatesfamily.com/2010/09/15/carlin-12/

Archived