IGNORED

Who of our favorite fundies are calvinists?

slh12280

Sovereign Grace churches are Calvinist. Josh Harris pastors one of them, so I presume he is Calvinist even if the rest of his family isn't. I don't know about them.

ATI folks tend not to be. The Pearls aren't, either.

Do you think Calvinism is having a resurgence along with hard-core Dominionism, or is it more of a regional thing? I ask because I never heard of Calvinism/Reformed theology or met an avowed Calvinist until I was 20 (grew up in Oregon) and I have a friend who grew up in Nova Scotia who thought (when he was young) that Calvinism was a heresy that had died out centuries ago. :-) I know this is highly impressionistic, but I'm not sure how both of us, fairly theologically curious within our limitations, missed all the Presbyterians running around unless the extreme adherents just weren't as vocal at those times and places.

I have been dying to meet an avowed calvinist. Only met arminians...sigh.

can you remind me what Calvinists and predetermination entails?

In a nutshell, only those of us on God's special super short list get to go to heaven. The rest of us may as well not even try, as we're going to hell no matter what we do.

I have been dying to meet an avowed calvinist. Only met arminians...sigh.

I've considered starting an "ask a Calvinist" thread, but am not sure I'm ready to go there yet. (I'm Calvinist/Reformed Baptist, but sort of avoided the last thread on it because I figured it'd turn heated fairly quickly and it's hard to discuss it without coming across as preachy or proselytizing).

Unfortunately, the first avowed Calvinist I met wanted to court me after we'd known each other two weeks, but he had to try to convert me first. I try not to hold him against all other Calvinists out there. :-)

Thanks for your observations, Raine.

I've considered starting an "ask a Calvinist" thread, but am not sure I'm ready to go there yet. (I'm Calvinist/Reformed Baptist, but sort of avoided the last thread on it because I figured it'd turn heated fairly quickly and it's hard to discuss it without coming across as preachy or proselytizing).

Do it 8-) Although I have researched the heck out of it so I may already know enough about it.

If the growth of Calvinism, old- or new-school, does end up being a long-term trend, it wouldn't surprise me to see a split develop over it in the Southern Baptist Convention. A lot of old-school Baptists consider Calvinism a type of heresy, but many younger Baptists are embracing it and I think there's only so long this whole "agree to disagree" thing can work.

I also think this is coming; only a matter of time. I have posted this on FJ in some previous discussion about Calvinism.

I'd love to witness an online discussion in which a Calvinist doesn't come off smug and condescending. Rain seems sweet and I can't imagine her being obnoxious.

An example of debates that I've read between nonCalvinist and Calvinist.

Speaker A:How do you relate this verse with Calvinist beliefs?

SPeaker B(the Calvinist) Verse B, C and D

Speaker A: Yeah, but you didn't answer my question about verse A.

Speaker B: verse Z, Q and R

Speaker A: Trying to discuss these verses in context of the entire bible.

Speaker B: Finally finds a verse that contradicts A's beliefs and upholds his or her own

Speaker A: (Getting upset, throws in more bible verse) Yeah, well verse P, N and C!

The conversation starts running in circles and bible verse are thrown like weapons.

On the forum of Catholic Answers, I alway felt that both sides had more respect for their individual theologies than the bible itself.

The first three paragraphs and the chart found here are a pretty succinct description of Calvinism:

http://calvinistcorner.com/tulip

ETA spelling

kittypie! Thakns a million billion for the link! Now, then, ;) to my reaction to same:

:shock: (imagine that "ah-de-ya ah-de-ya ah-de-ya" sound playing as I read the following:

That God, by His sovereign grace predestines people into salvation; that Jesus died only for those predestined; that God regenerates the individual where he is then able and wants to choose God; and that it is impossible for those who are redeemed to lose their salvation.

Arminianism, on the other hand, maintains that God predestined, but not in an absolute sense. Rather, He looked into the future to see who would pick him and then He chose them.

Guacamole, how did they come up with these?

Lutheranism, OTOH, posits that God wants "all to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." that's in the Bible, I've got a cat on my left wrist as I type so may/not even get this message finished much less look it up. :D

IOW, God predestines us all for salvation. It is when we choose to reject God's love that we are doomed. But even so, the Holy Spirit (Lutherans believe) continues to work on our hearts and minds, so that we can accept The Gift any ole time.

And heck yeah, we can reject God after having accepted God. "Once saved always saved" is ... not.

I post this with all affection for everybody involved in this discussion, but I have to say, I do not see how the C's & A's get what they get out of the same Scripture that L's get what we get out of it and now the cat is rollingo nto my fingers so i most post or lose it all

Archived