IGNORED

How fundy is Utah?

FuManchu

Seriously, mainstream Mormons are really nice, friendly people...

If by nice you mean bigots who hate gay people, alcohol, and women's rights, then yeah, they're "nice and friendly." Sorry, but that's been my experience with the Mormons I've met here in NYC—where I would expect them to be relatively progressive.

If by nice you mean bigots who hate gay people, alcohol, and women's rights, then yeah, they're "nice and friendly." Sorry, but that's been my experience with the Mormons I've met here in NYC—where I would expect them to be relatively progressive.

Well, sorry, but that's not been my experience in PA , NYC, or Utah.

They don't hate alcohol, they just don't drink, they are for education for women - my daughter was in a PhD program at BYU. And the Mormons I know don't believe that being gay is a choice.

This * 10 equals my experience in Utah. I lived there as both a child and an adult. If you are not mormon, not related to a mormon and not considering converting then they treat you like shit.

This * 10 equals my experience in Utah. I lived there as both a child and an adult. If you are not mormon, not related to a mormon and not considering converting then they treat you like shit.

Exactly. I thought I was going to get flamed for that (probably still will), but I'm glad that I'm not alone. They are fundies in the worst sense of the word, even if they don't wear frumpers.

I think you are referring to the Kingston Clan aka the Davis County Cooperative Society aka the Latter Day Church of Christ. They own a ranch up in Plymouth Utah. Its 10 miles south of the Idaho Border. The only signs of them that you see on the freeway is a red barn with a cow painted on it. The ranch is called Washakie Ranch. There is also a biodiesl plant out there that they own. That group owns a ton of businesses. I call them Utahs organized crime.

The Mormon Mafia

It depends on what part of Utah you're in. Something you'll notice everywhere is the weird alcohol laws and the editing of radio songs (they even edit out "makin love in the green grass" from the song "Brown Eyed Girl." Because God forbid anybody hear about making love! Defrauding!).

Another thing I notice when in Utah is that everybody seems to be either Molly Mormon or screaming "I'm not mormon!" Everybody is either modest, with their garment lines showing through their clothes, or they are tattooed and pierced and cussing. At least that's how it seemed. I am fairly normal looking and everybody assumed I was Mormon when I was there. =)

All that said, Utah is a beautiful place and most of the people there seem exceedingly nice. I hope you have a great trip!

Exactly. I thought I was going to get flamed for that (probably still will), but I'm glad that I'm not alone. They are fundies in the worst sense of the word, even if they don't wear frumpers.

It would not be the first time I have been flamed. I have gotten flamed on ravelry for stating my opinion. I should probably work on more tactful but I am not going to say something false even if it is unpopular.

Archived