IGNORED

How fundy is Utah?

FuManchu

I'm just arranging a trip to Utah in May - my friends and I will be driving around the National Parks - but it occurred to me that all I really know about the place is that (a) the Indiana Jones grew up there, and (b) it's full of Mormons.

Does anyone know how obvious this Mormonism makes itself? Is the state actually disappointingly normal because all the weird Mormons are on missionary work in Europe, knocking on doors in scarily well-fitting suits?

Strange booze laws (beer must be below a certain ABV % to be sold in certain places) but that's all I've ever really noticed regarding fundy/Mormon-ish stuff. Stunningly beautiful landscape and all of the parks are wonderful. I really loved Moab, where Arches NP is.

I was in Utah back in 1976 on vacation. I don't remember much about what the people were like. But I do remember Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and St George were beautiful areas.

I know a few people who have lived in Utah, and one of my best friends has family there (Mormon, of course). In spite of some strange laws, it seems pretty normal, other than the fact my sister's friend was one of like, 2 people in her class that weren't Mormon.

It has strange alcohol laws, but that's about it as far as the Mormon influence goes. While Salt Lake City is the official headquarters of the Mormon church, the actual city isn't as heavily Mormon as the surrounding areas. I've found that the ones who are like the fundies we snark about tend to live in Idaho more than Utah. At least, that's what I've noticed from reading Mormon mommy blogs.

I'm just arranging a trip to Utah in May - my friends and I will be driving around the National Parks - but it occurred to me that all I really know about the place is that (a) the Indiana Jones grew up there, and (b) it's full of Mormons.

Does anyone know how obvious this Mormonism makes itself? Is the state actually disappointingly normal because all the weird Mormons are on missionary work in Europe, knocking on doors in scarily well-fitting suits?

As everyone else has stated, the liquor laws are the most obvious. You can only buy 3.2% beer at the grocery store. All alcohol stores are state run. Depending on where you eat, you may or may not see the zion curtain. The zion curtain a partition that separates the patrons of a bar from the bartender and prevents drinks from being passed directly from the place where they are mixed to the customer.

They did away with it back in 2008 but just reinstated it. The law only requires that new restaurants and bars have it so most current restaurants and bars are grandfathered out of the law.

You may also notice that many local places are closed on sunday. You may see FLDS if you are out by St. George. I hope you go to Moab. Its a great town and its within biking distance of arches national park. If you go in April then you may want to make sure you dont schedule your trip for general conference weekend. Its a weekend long church service and meeting.

At least in the Salt Lake City area, NOTHING is open on Sunday (my family went to Salt Lake for vacation once and we spent most of Sunday driving around looking for something to do that was open). Other than that, from what I can tell, it's pretty normal.

At least in the Salt Lake City area, NOTHING is open on Sunday (my family went to Salt Lake for vacation once and we spent most of Sunday driving around looking for something to do that was open). Other than that, from what I can tell, it's pretty normal.

The salt lake area is mormon light. SLC itself actually has the third largest LGBT population for a small city. There are more places there open on Sunday now then there use to be. The laws in the state are heavily influenced by the mormon church. The culture in Utah leads people to be passive aggressive.

Repeat after me, "Mainstream Mormons aren't fundies." The FLDSers are the fundies, there aren't as many in Utah as you would think. Big FLDS states are Arizona, Texas, Idaho, and Montana. You can also find big populations in Canada and Mexico. FLDSers hide, especially in Utah, the Church and government are not fans!

ETA They tend to live in isolated areas and are not very friendly to strangers. Many live out in the deserts etc. I personally, wouldn't go looking or them.. I do know some in Idaho, I am distantly related and they are not very friendly.

riffles

Like everyone else said, strange liquor laws. They carded my mom at a restaurant, who is in her 60's. She laughed cause she thought it was a joke. Nope. Everyone was pretty friendly and SLC itself is a very nice, clean city.

Check out Warren Jeff's city- Hilldale UT/ Colorado City AZ- outside of St. George if you get a chance (it's kind of near Zion). That's truly fundie! I've been there many times (passing through), but I'm always still fascinated. I'm careful if I drive through the town, though, as most of the cops are FLDS. I haven't been near there in about a year, though, and I've heard a lot of them fled. But it's still interesting to see the city that has been on the news throughout the years.\

Edited cause I can't spell today.

Repeat after me, "Mainstream Mormons aren't fundies." The FLDSers are the fundies, there aren't as many in Utah as you would think. Big FLDS states are Arizona, Texas, Idaho, and Montana. You can also find big populations in Canada and Mexico. FLDSers hide, especially in Utah, the Church and government are not fans!

Utah allows the FLDS and other polygamist groups to hide. Utah is a common law marriage state. So legally, the polygamist couples are married via common law and can be prosecuted. But, Utah thinks its easier to ignore the problem. The FLDS is not the only fundie mormon group in Utah. The FLDS is just the most publicized group.

I feel like saying "my daughter and son-in-law are Mormons who live in Provo, UT, ask me anything!"

Really, PA, where I live has alcohol laws as strange as Utah's. The most Mormony place is probably the campus of BYU, and even there it's just extreme wholesomeness, nothing really weird.

Seriously, mainstream Mormons are really nice, friendly people, the natural wonders in the southern part of the state are amazing, you'll have a great time there.

Utah allows the FLDS and other polygamist groups to hide. Utah is a common law marriage state. So legally, the polygamist couples are married via common law and can be prosecuted. But, Utah thinks its easier to ignore the problem. The FLDS is not the only fundie mormon group in Utah. The FLDS is just the most publicized group.

I know my family is LDS.

ETA My point was mainstream LDS are not fundies and when people think of fundies in Utah, they are picturing the prairie dress and braid wearing FLDS, and you won't find them skipping around Temple Square. As the saying goes, there are many religions in Utah, but there is only one Church.

I know my family is LDS.

I will say that Utah Mormons are different then mormons outside of Utah. They are more conservative and some use social pressure to try to convert their neighbors. As a child I was ostracized by my classmates because I was the only non mormon in the class. I was told that I was an atheist (I was not, my family was Lutheran), I was told that I was evil and I was told that I was going to hell. I experienced similar things as an adult. I am happy that I am now out of that state.

I will say that Utah Mormons are different then mormons outside of Utah. They are more conservative and some use social pressure to try to convert their neighbors. As a child I was ostracized by my classmates because I was the only non mormon in the class. I was told that I was an atheist (I was not, my family was Lutheran), I was told that I was evil and I was told that I was going to hell. I experienced similar things as an adult. I am happy that I am now out of that state.

Oh yes, you also routinely get the once over to see if you wearing a garment. I don't miss going to church at all, a lot of the pressure to conform to the ideal is in the church culture as well. I hate hearing about living the Gospel...blah, blah, blah.

ETA I didn't mean to hit submit. I have seen how they treat each other, I can't even begin to imagine the pressure and outright hostility that a nonLDS would be subjected to on a regular basis. That is so awful. I am sorry.

Oh yes, you also routinely get the once over to see if you wearing a garment. I don't miss going to church at all, a lot of the pressure to conform to the ideal is in the church culture as well. I hate hearing about living the Gospel...blah, blah, blah.

My male friends would routinely have girls come up and touch their upper arm to see if they were wearing garments. I saw it happen multiple times during a concert at the park. I asked my friend why they were doing it. He explained it to me. I started to laugh and said that I would punch any guy that touched me without my permission.

I had fun fucking with the mormon men one time at the SLC airport. I got a beer at a restaurant in the terminal and was sitting there waiting for my flight. I was also knitting a lovely lace shawl. The beer was not visible unless you got closer to the table. I and my server watched as 5 men would start to approach me and then back away when they saw me take a sip of my beer.

My male friends would routinely have girls come up and touch their upper arm to see if they were wearing garments. I saw it happen multiple times during a concert at the park. I asked my friend why they were doing it. He explained it to me. I started to laugh and said that I would punch any guy that touched me without my permission.

I had fun fucking with the mormon men one time at the SLC airport. I got a beer at a restaurant in the terminal and was sitting there waiting for my flight. I was also knitting a lovely lace shawl. The beer was not visible unless you got closer to the table. I and my server watched as 5 men would start to approach me and then back away when they saw me take a sip of my beer.

:lol: Evil woman!

If you have a chance, go to Temple Square and hang out. You will be approached by lovely, smiling LDS women, in fundy-length skirts and impeccable grooming, who want to show you around and get to know you. They will try to organize your sightseeing in the Square for you. Some of the young women seem to be missionaries from abroad, serving in SLC for a time. Definitely go in the Tabernacle for the pin-dropping--but be prepared to have those lovely women chat to you more than you want them to. If there is a man in your group, they'll address him and not you. Or if you are seated separately from your husband or boyfriend, they will ask you to sit together so they can talk to you both at once. It's a subtle thing I picked up on as I mentally enumerated the reasons I would never be a Mormon; it seemed that the tour ladies wanted the husband, not the wife, to decide whether we would be interested in seeing this or that.

We were there on I think a Friday. If you hang around the Temple grounds you will see loads of family groups--men in suits, their wives in Sunday-School-type dress, and their plentiful children all dressed in their Sunday best. I don't know if they are there for a special service, or if these are just Mormons from "off" who respectfully dress up for this pilgrimage to their Mother Temple. Another cool thing you'll see is lots of brides, in all their bridal finery, getting their pictures made on the grounds. I don't know if they're on their way in to get married, or on their way out after the ceremony; but I do know a Temple wedding is a Big Deal for a Mormon; and these ladies are certainly all smiles about it. I bet we saw ten brides during the time we were in the Square. I imagine the Temple is quite busy for weddings and they must be booked on a fairly tight schedule.

Of course, you can't go in the Temple itself unless you are an LDS in good standing. Tour guides, men and women, were explaining why to people who didn't know. But our family already knew, so we didn't even head that way. But we did go in the Genealogy center (didn't spend much time there), in some kind of museum, and finally, for the big hit of the day, to a theater to see the movie about the life of Joseph Smith. I can't remember the name of the film but it was LDS-produced and very well-done. I don't know why we went to see it, but I'm glad we did. My kids, who were 10 and 12 at the time, really enjoyed it; and I have to say DH and I did too. Of course I already knew the story of Joseph Smith and could tell what was coming up; and we had to point out to the kids later that in our understanding of Christianity we don't believe that any of that metaphysical stuff happened. But it was an interesting movie. Natch, there was time later for you to meet with one of those tour people so they could evangelize you. But we slipped out and went on about our day.

My husband hadn't even wanted to go to the Temple, but later he admitted it had been more interesting than he'd expected. I recommend it; it's surely an important part of what SLC is all about. Just be prepared to smile and say "no, thanks" if the tour folks seem to get too interested in proselytizing you. That works fine; they are very polite and friendly.

I have lived in the Strip for almost 20 years, it will be 20 in August. Major cities and tourist areas are not very fundy, do have weird liquor laws-no Happy Hours, State Stores and water beer in the grocery stores. Little town can be very fundy however they are very welcoming to people. National Parks are beautiful great hiking. Too bad you are not going to be there in late August early Sept they have excellent peaches and watermelons, organic.

I call the Temple in SLC, Temple of OZ "Free Dorothy"

ETA They tend to live in isolated areas and are not very friendly to strangers. Many live out in the deserts etc. I personally, wouldn't go looking or them.. I do know some in Idaho, I am distantly related and they are not very friendly.

riffles

I grew up in Boise and never even heard of the FLDS until a few years ago(and I've lived in Texas for the last 13 years--how the hell did I miss all this? :think: ). I'm guessing they're mostly around the Pocatello/Idaho Falls area? I'm moving back to Idaho soon, but if they're not the friendliest folk, I suppose I'll just have to hope for a chance encounter (and also keep my fingers crossed for a Latisha sighting--squee!).

ETA: Just Googled "FLDS Idaho" and it looks like there's a pocket of them up north that came from British Columbia. Huh. Also, more on topic--has anyone been to Lagoon in SLC? How is it?

I grew up in Boise and never even heard of the FLDS until a few years ago(and I've lived in Texas for the last 13 years--how the hell did I miss all this? :think: ). I'm guessing they're mostly around the Pocatello/Idaho Falls area? I'm moving back to Idaho soon, but if they're not the friendliest folk, I suppose I'll just have to hope for a chance encounter (and also keep my fingers crossed for a Latisha sighting--squee!).

ETA: Just Googled "FLDS Idaho" and it looks like there's a pocket of them up north that came from British Columbia. Huh

Also, more on topic--has anyone been to Lagoon in SLC? How is it?

My family is not the off shoot from Bountiful, but I had heard there was a settlement up North. I will say my family live near Emmett. They look more like strict Baptists, than what you imagine FLDS to look like.

My Mormon relatives dress like everyone else, but with sleeves and knee length everything. You actually could not tell them from non-LDS unless you knew what to look for.

My family is not the off shoot from Bountiful, but I had heard there was a settlement up North. I will say my family live near Emmett. They look more like strict Baptists, than what you imagine FLDS to look like.

I think you are referring to the Kingston Clan aka the Davis County Cooperative Society aka the Latter Day Church of Christ. They own a ranch up in Plymouth Utah. Its 10 miles south of the Idaho Border. The only signs of them that you see on the freeway is a red barn with a cow painted on it. The ranch is called Washakie Ranch. There is also a biodiesl plant out there that they own. That group owns a ton of businesses. I call them Utahs organized crime.

ETA: Just Googled "FLDS Idaho" and it looks like there's a pocket of them up north that came from British Columbia. Huh. Also, more on topic--has anyone been to Lagoon in SLC? How is it?

Lagoon is ok. Its actually north of SL in Bountiful. They have a couple of fun roller coasters but its no six flags. The focus is on family entertainment so you will find a lot of mild rides and a few thrill rides. The best day to go is on a Sunday because most of the mormons are in church. You will find non mormon church groups there on Sundays but the lines are still pretty short.

Archived