IGNORED

The gaping flaw in the SAHD mentality

Daenerys

It must also be incredibly lonely and boring for a newlywed fundie girl. Her husband goes off to work all day and she stays home by herself. She can't even get a part time job until the first baby arrives, or even join most clubs. And having babies for company isn't really a good idea. My mom was so bored the first time she was on maternity leave because babies just sleep all day. So for at least a couple of years, all day long will be pretty boring and lonely, and then even after that they'll only have young children for company. I realize they're not known for their deep intellectual conversations, but they still need something more stimulating than talking to a toddler.

And you're not even allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio.

My marriage and life shortly prior had many similarities to many fundie girls. I was driven out of my home at age 20 by my abusive dad (who acted much like Steve Maxwell) and landed right square in the dilemma of "I just moved in with a man I just barely know and OMG, he wants to (shhhh) have SEX!" I was just as not ready for intimacy as any actual fundy girl. I went to my boyfriend's doctor, who couldn't examine me for a Pap smear and wrote out a three-month prescription for birth control pills and said to "come back when they're all done". I did, and it went better. The thing my dad DIDN'T want me to do, he drove me straight into it -- typical backward behavior. He told my neighbors when I "ran away", that I was "still a virgin" and didn't want "anything bad" to happen to me. Uh, too late, being as HE started all the worse things, etc.

As for MY onset of my periods, I had an older sister who showed me the ropes when my stepmom refused to talk to me when it started one night right before I went to bed. She groused, "Tell your father", who was still reading the evening newspaper and watching the 11 o'clock news. I literally stood in my hallway, half-way between the bathroom and living room, wondering what should I do. I finally caved in and told my sis, who asked me, "Did you tell Mom?" When I told her I tried, but she told me to tell

Dad, she just shook her head and helped me with her own essentials she had available. It wasn't until two days later (day after the 4th of July) that Mom relented and provided me with a box of Kotex pristinely placed on my bed when I came home from summer school. I started my period kind of late and was behind all of my friends -- started at age 14 and 3 months.

Archived