IGNORED

[Repost] Are the Bates trying to get the Duggars' Fame?!

defrauding

carter said:

Rut Roh... the Bates are catching up! Amazingly, they are even more backwards than the Duggars! They seem to be always trying to copy the Duggars, but this goes a bit farther. If Michelle can't get pregnant again and Ma Bates catches up, will they get the Duggars' TV spot? Yikes!

http://youtu.be/Eh_njlNFEls

Hopewell said:

I think the Bates quite simply need the money!

Hopewell said:

Just checked that clip....the Bates posted recently that 20/20 was back I believe.....

AthenaC said:

They're probably more representative of a real QF family.

What did they have, 16 kids living in a three bedroom, one bath, 1200-square foot farmhouse?

batwing said:

I worry about them. A few months ago on the blog Kelly announced she was pregnant. It was not too long after that they announced she had a miscarriage.

I mean, their daughter Erin's hair is atrocious (and I'm pretty sure they're trying to pimp her), and I find them overall fairly annoying and fame hungry, but I can't imagine going through all of that in public.

carter said:

Am I the only one who thinks that not only do the Bates have creepy accents but that Cynthia McFadden sounds pretty slow as well? lol

batwing said:

You are not alone on either account!

OnceModestTwiceShy said:

Um...yeah I just feel like I watched a weird alternate reality episode of one of the earlier Duggar specials, with different people standing in for the parts. Same default assumptions that these are the best Christians ever; same annoying focus on "everything is bigger!"; same "name your kids" countdown; same laundry room and sock sorting wackiness; same Adoring Stare from wife to husband; same big hair; same focus on number of years pregnant; same defensiveness of how fulfilling being a SAHM is; same transportation scene; same "we do everything together"; same Gothard buzzwords...ugh, it's exactly the same thing.

Although their kids do seem a lot less stuck up than the Duggar boys, esp. their oldest.

bananacat said:

The Bateses will never be as famous as the Duggars because their names don't have a cutesy little matching scheme. The only way a family could outdo the Duggars is to have some other gimmick as a selling point.

batwing said:

Their gimmick is Erin, the daughter with the cray-zay hair. If you watch their special appearances with the Duggars or check out the photos on their blog closely, she has probably twice as many photos/air time minutes as any other child in their family. There's also a lot of mention on both about her budding music career. I think they're like, "holy shit we got a pretty one! quick, pimp her!"

lilwriter85 said:

I'm also starting to think they are trying to the Duggars' fame. I do find some of the people in that family to be more likeable than the Duggars. Kelly is starting to annoy me in the same ways Michelle does. I can honestly see TLC giving them a show if Michelle ends up not having another kid in a year or two. Kelly will be the new Michelle for TLC.

FloraDoraDolly said:

There's also Jackson Bates (not to be confused with Jackson Duggar), the little boy who talks like a character from one of those old-timey Southern novels.

demgirl said:

I think that's incredibly kind of you, but they made the choice to announce the pregnancy in a public forum at a very early date in the pregnancy of a woman who is of advanced maternal age. Sad it may be, but they didn't have to go through it publicly. They made a choice to do so.

mariolatry said:

Honestly, I don't think Erin is all that pretty. I mean compared to most fundies, yeah, but not the general population. She seems pretty snooty and the Gibson Girl hair is just bizarre.

emmyfair said:

She's sweet faced and young, most girls her age have the same attractiveness, though. She does carry herself with her nose in the air though, and yes, the hair is terrible. I wish she'd get a cute layered cut and maybe some highlights.

I think the bates family is gunning for TLC, more than the Duggars. If the Duggars happen to be a casualty of their efforts ... well, boo hoo, right?

dawniecakes said:

"we all wanted to be in a big room together" Bull Fing SHITE... same as the Duggar's. The difference with the Bates is that beggars can't be choosers and Jim Boob had a big hand in the design so they went along with it.

Patsy said:

Who said that? IIRC they've got the kids divided between about four bedrooms, right?

debrand said:

I'd like to know why she chooses to wear her hair in a way that is so different than her peers. Is she trying to express herself? Maybe in a nonfundie family, she'd be the girl with purple streaks and a piercing.

bananacat said:

I know this is really cruel and harsh, but I suspect that Kelly cares far more about the attention than actually having a kid. She likes praise she gets for becoming pregnant again, and to some extent she even likes the sympathy she gets for having a miscarriage. Just like Michelle Duggar, it has to be all about her. I think that most QF moms have a weird form of Munchhausen syndrome or something like that. They love the praise and attention they get for being pregnant or having a newborn, so they keep doing it over and over because people don't dote on moms of older kids nearly as much. There's also a competitive aspect to it, especially between Kelly and Michelle. Kelly can brag that at least she's still getting preggers and God is trying to bless her, while Michelle is apparently completely out of blessings.

Yeah, I know I'm a horrible person for even saying this, but Kelly does everything she does just to get attention.

batwing said:

Oh no, I completely agree with you. I'm not at advanced maternal age, but the only people who knew about my pregnancies before I was in the second trimester were close family and friends- I wouldn't even tell my boss because I was afraid of having to deal with the office gossip mill. It was totally shortsighted and stupid to announce it in a public place. But I couldn't help but wince when I read their blog update on the miscarriage.

And yet, I have this strong feeling that within the next 6 months they'll be announcing yet another very early pregnancy... "hey y'all, I just peed on a stick and I think it's pink!... oh wait...that's just the jenky ass lighting the Duggars installed..."

bananacat- I don't think you're horrible for saying she thrives on the attention of being pregnant and having newborns. I know someone IRL (the baby mama of two of our friend's children) who embodies this: 24 years old with baby number 5 arriving any day now. Meanwhile, the oldest 2 (ages 7 and almost 6) both have developmental delays which she does nothing to help with and it seems like once her babies start talking she stops taking pictures of them or spending one on one time with them. It's like her older children are an after thought. Honestly, I don't even know what the second kid's name is, when the husband or I talk to our friend we always ask about the kids and we always call #2 "the other boy" embarassed.gif

thoughtful said:

These folks are all so interested in returning to some imaginary past. I just wish the Bates family would take up old-fashioned forms of address for their children.

Wouldn't it be sweet to hear the girls addressed as "Miss Bates" and the boys as "Master . . . . ?" smile.gif

[Repost] Are the Bates trying to get the Duggars' Fame?!

lmao... Thoughtful, I think the Bates could pull that off better than anyone else could... what with their bizarre slow Southern accents (I am from the South, so don't get the impression that I'm just a hater lol)

I do think there's some aspect of mental illness at work in QF families. I, too, have known people who seem addicted to pregnancy (or the attention they get for it). I had one friend who was pretty extreme. Every couple of years, she popped out another kid (last time I checked, she had 8 boys and no girls). She had a lot of complications, several miscarriages, and had to use fertility treatments to get pregnant. To my knowledge, she never used birth control. I ended up walking away because I was tired of the drama and the constant focus on getting or staying pregnant over and over and over again while she had so many little ones who really needed her attention.

agreed. And while I'll hate on them for decided to have all the kids, I won't hate on them for doing what they need to to support them. Although it would be nice if they worked a little harder at the tree service [Gil even says in the video that it allows them to make more $$ in less time.] Um, if you are eligible for food stamps like you've said previously maybe you should spend a little more time on yr company. JMO ;-) The magically thinking that says I can shite out as many spawn as I possible can and the big G-O-D will care for them without me sacrificing any time spent with never ceases to amaze me. ARGG.

Ms. Bates [almost changed it to Mrs. but decided Ms. would bother these ppl so I'm keeping it smile.gif] has talked before about having miscarriages and while I'm sure she doesn't like miscarrying ["now I'm going to have to do Gil again to get preggers, man..."] it clearly doesn't bother her as much as Michelle's reported miscarriage after Josh did.

One thing that does interest me about her is that she's said all her's were natural. Clearly she is a better breeding cow than Michelle.

I wonder how long you have to wait after a miscarriage to have sex since you don't usually know if it was a dirty girl or a sacred boy.

At least they can name all of their kids....

QF/P insist on "family business" so the family can work together and Dad does not have to work for a Godless boss. Like Jim-Bob, who like it or not DOES efficiently support his family, most look for ways to be working with at least their sons and to be home whenever possible to "encourage" and influence the kids. At one level that IS commendable. And how many of us really want to be away 40 hours a week or more? Most of the "normal" QF families likely DO qualify for assistance just because of # of kids. Many of them, though, DO grow huge gardens, raise beef cattle or goats for milk, etc so they can get by easier than someone stuck in a tiny city apartment. Personally, I'd rather the Bates do tv than be on welfare.

I think they want to be an orchestra, whereas the Duggars are more like the circus clowns. They are trying to out-gothard em.

HA! Good snark!

Hopewell wrote: QF/P insist on "family business" so the family can work together and Dad does not have to work for a Godless boss. Like Jim-Bob, who like it or not DOES efficiently support his family, most look for ways to be working with at least their sons and to be home whenever possible to "encourage" and influence the kids. At one level that IS commendable. And how many of us really want to be away 40 hours a week or more? Most of the "normal" QF families likely DO qualify for assistance just because of # of kids. Many of them, though, DO grow huge gardens, raise beef cattle or goats for milk, etc so they can get by easier than someone stuck in a tiny city apartment. Personally, I'd rather the Bates do tv than be on welfare.

• 9 months later...

So, I accidentally hit the last page instead of the 'next' button on quiver ful of snark, so when I saw the subject line of this oldie brought over from before the rapture, I had to read. Now I am bumping it by commenting here to give a shout out to all those FJs who 'called it" way back that Kelly bates and her family were going to bump the duggars out of their TLC slot as soon as Michelle went two years without a baby.

Archived