IGNORED

William and Catherine 4

Coconut Flan

36 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I think we'd just have to see as the years go on because if George was unavailable there would be a pretty steep learning curve for whoever came next.

Not to mention I would imagine William and Catherine have seen up close and personal what happens in a 'spare' situation and have already been making an effort to avoid all that with Charlotte and Louis. At least, I HOPE they have!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Charlotte may be fine.  She seems more like Anne and Elizabeth.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Love 1

Plus there are 2 spares, so they in theory will have someone who they can vent to and help navigate the bizarre life. Playing equal second fiddle. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

There is no being equal. It’s a Hierarchy with its  order of precedents they still take seriously. George will get the throne and fortunes that come with it and the others will live off trust funds and other money left to them unless they marry great money as one does in that world. What if’s and maybes aside Charlotte’s possible future children will be most likely be privileged commoners  unless their father happens to be titled. 

This could well change completely but William does not that inclined to revolutionize that far. 

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

There is no being equal. It’s a Hierarchy with its  order of precedents they still take seriously. George will get the throne and fortunes that come with it and the others will live off trust funds and other money left to them unless they marry great money as one does in that world. What if’s and maybes aside Charlotte’s possible future children will be most likely be privileged commoners  unless their father happens to be titled. 

This could well change completely but William does not that inclined to revolutionize that far. 

I meant that Charlotte and Louis will be equal. Even the monarchy has deemed females just as eligible as males, so - outside of patriarchal dickheads - she and her younger brother will be on equal footing until (as you rightly point out) marriage. 
Obviously everyone is second fiddle to the future monarch. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Not exactly. As things stand now She won’t be be given a title to pass down as Louis will receive the Dukedom of York when it’s available again. It’s only ceremonial but still. 

Until George has a child, Charlotte is his heir.

Once Charlotte turns 21, she will be a Councellor of State for her Grandfather/Father/Brother whoever is on the throne at the time.

If she outlives George, depending on the number of children/grandchildren he has, she might even be a Councellor of State for her niece or nephew.

I've wondered if a sort  of hybrid role could be created where Charlotte and Louis had actual jobs within the Royal household and did Royal duties a few days a month or as needed.    Like becoming a Vet and looking after the animals or doing something with the art collection.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Honestly, living of some generous trust fund (and generous in royal terms, not working people terms) will leave them very cushy and not in need to find work. And that's the same for their kids or grandkids, that familial connections alone leave them with a lot of possibillities to earn money from it or to get a cushy job. Spiffy titles doesn't hold the importance today that they hold in the past anymore and they get more unimportant as time goes by. By the time Charlotte and Louis are adults, they will even matter less than today. And we can't predict what the status of the royal family will be in 20 or more years, maybe there will not even be a monarchy anymore. The wealth and connections they will get and/ or inherit will be more of an asset to them than any kind of duke or duchess of whatever title will be.

• Upvote 5

They ought to train in some profession. But education doesn't seem to be a windsor strong point. At least the boys have a fair chance at a military career. 

• Upvote 1

I think it has been reported that W&K want / expect both Charlotte and Louis to train in a profession. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I think it has been reported that W&K want / expect both Charlotte and Louis to train in a profession. 

Even if they are formally expected to train in a profession, they will always know they don’t actually NEED to excel or even work in that profession ever at all. I wonder what it’s like living like that. Would I have become the lawyer I am today if I inherited enough money to never have to work in my life? Would I be happier or less content?

• Upvote 6

Many Royals have hobby jobs  because it looks good to the public and to give them something to do. Modeling or something to do with art is a popular one. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

Even if they are formally expected to train in a profession, they will always know they don’t actually NEED to excel or even work in that profession ever at all. I wonder what it’s like living like that. Would I have become the lawyer I am today if I inherited enough money to never have to work in my life? Would I be happier or less content?

One can be very passionate about a field without needing to make money but there is no way to tell now if Charlotte or Louis will be that lucky.

• Upvote 3

Will and Kate met at University

Charles and Edward graduated from Cambridge.

William worked as an Air Ambulance pilot after working Search and Rescue.

Thankfully for Charlotte and Louis, gone are the days where they would be been shipped off to foreign countries in Dynastic marriages with other royal families.

• Upvote 6

I am pretty sure Charlotte and Louis will get a university degree and cushy jobs. A bachelors degree is really not hard to get, especially if you can afford all the tutoring and extra help, and don’t have to work a side job to finance your expenses and university fees and what not. Their connections will get them nice internships and a job that will allow them a lot of free time. And if they are smart their personal wealth will work for them so the salary they work for is really not that crucial. If they really find a passion in their profession or even work a „regular“ job with normal hours that’s great. Time will tell. But if they just live the life of privileged people having a hobby job that’s fine as well.
That might sound cynical or petty but I actually don’t mind. There will always be people better off from the get go. No point in getting railed up about it. I’d rather see them going this route than a blown up RF just to keep the high engagement numbers rolling in. 
I think there life will be pretty similar to Wiliam’s cousins. Holding down a job, turning up to family engagements and sometimes in combo with a working royal. Probably involved with at least one charity. But they won’t be working royals. It’s just hard to distinguish if Princess Charlotte turns up to a charity event, that this isn’t necessarily in representation of the crown. It will be interesting if Louis will be more visible like the women or if he will be more like Peter. I regularly forget about him and only remember him when he has put his foot in it again.

My only wish would be to give BOTH a nice dukedom for their 18th birthday or marriage, but no titles for their children, a tiara on the head of the bride and a somewhat public wedding- because I am a sucker for that. Charlotte would be a fabulous Duke of Windsor. I think retiring the York Dukedom for a century might be a good idea. But Windsor could be re-created. Uncle Edward has been gone a long time.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 5

15 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Charlotte would be a fabulous Duke of Windsor. I think retiring the York Dukedom for a century might be a good idea. But Windsor could be re-created. Uncle Edward has been gone a long time.

Charlotte will be Princess Royal after Anne and Charles die. Duke of Windsor wouldn’t be an honor. Personally, I would be highly amused if William issued letters patent when he comes to the throne to make Harry the Duke of Windsor and Sussex. It can be the traditional title for princes who run away with divorced American ladies.

• Haha 5

We have no idea what the Wales children will or won't do as adults other than that George will be Prince of Wales then King someday. 

A couple of years ago, you all were confidently explaining that George was starting boarding school asap because all three would go at 8 years old. 

None of them are in boarding school yet and he's 10 and Charlotte is 8. So here we are. 

• Upvote 3

I just hope they all do something with their lives that benefit humanity. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I just hope they all do something with their lives that benefit humanity. 

That would be nice. But I don’t think they have a bigger responsibility than anyone else just by the circumstances they are born in. And benefiting humanity is pretty vague and subjective. And what if they don’t care about humanity at all but become viscous fighters for the environment or wildlife, which easily can clash with what we think is benefiting humanity (example: putting all humans in skyscrapers to reduce the amount of land we cover….)? 

I mean, I have some great ideas about what good hey could do in their position but realistically all I expect from them, is not to be assholes or similar. Basically what you can expect from anyone. 

I know you wrote hope and not expect. But to me it sounded interchangeably in the comment- which could have been a misinterpretation on my side.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, louisa05 said:

We have no idea

A summary of this entire section, tbh. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

This year‘s Earthshot ceremony will be held in Capetown. I have been there once and I think it‘s impossible not to fall in love with the Western Cape. ❤️

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Charlotte will be Princess Royal after Anne and Charles die. Duke of Windsor wouldn’t be an honor. Personally, I would be highly amused if William issued letters patent when he comes to the throne to make Harry the Duke of Windsor and Sussex. It can be the traditional title for princes who run away with divorced American ladies.

Honestly I think that's an excellent idea! An honor, with just enough sass and history behind it to make it appropriate, but not so pointed that Harry couldn't be like "heck yeah I'm going to live my own life on my own terms with the wife I chose just like the previous Duke of Windsor" and choose to own it if he wanted. 

My understanding right now is that the line is William, George, Charlotte, Louis, then Harry. 

But. If William was to pass away before Charles (meaning Kate is never queen consort) and then Charles passes away before George is 18, Harry would become regent for George. Except he's disqualified by living outside the UK. All hypothetical and highly unlikely to ever happen, but I kind of wonder how that would shake out. Would Harry immediately move back as soon as the possibility raised itself, to be another "spare" who ended up in power? Who knows, but it's an interesting thing to ponder. Especially considering if Harry turned down regency the next adult in line is Andrew. Who hopefully would be pressured to decline so next up - Beatrice. 

Frankly none of that will likely happen, of course. And I think if chaos happened and it seemed likely, I'd bet Charles and parliament would be quickly setting up legislation to hand power over to Anne or Edward as regent, just like they managed to legislate Harry and Andrew out currently as counsellors of state by changing the rules to say only "working royals" qualified. 

Anybody else watch History Calling's video on all that? LOL clearly I did. But it's an interesting thought exercise, IMO. 

But like said above, no one knows what's going to happen. Charles gets good treatment, he could live to be as old as his father still. Or not. Anything can happen. This family of royals do seem to tend to live long long lives, unless they manage to drink or smoke themselves to death. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, viii said:

The women live long, the men not so much. 

Yep. Poor Philip dying so young at 99 years and 10 months. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11

I was curious, so I looked.

Phillip:  died at 99 years 10 months
George VI:  died at 56, after a stressful war and a life of chain-smoking
Edward VIII:  died at 77, was a smoker from an early age
George V:  died at 70, was a heavy smoker and had a long term injury, also ruled through a war, was technically euthanized by his doctor 
his brother Prince Albert Victor:  died at 28, of influenza during a pandemic
Edward VII:  died at 68,  habitually smoked twenty cigarettes and twelve cigars a day, known as a partier and drinker throughout his life (nickname "dirty Bertie" apparently!)
Prince Andrew of Greece (Prince Phillip's father):  died at 62 of heart failure, so apparently Phillip didn't take after him! He did live and fight in a couple wars and was exiled and all that, so stressful life for him
George I of Greece: assassinated at 67, so no data there
Queen Victoria's sons are a mixed bag, we've got one living to 91, one dying at 55 of throat cancer, and one dying at 30 (though he had hemophilia). And of course in her time and prior to that there were many more deaths from things like diphtheria and malaria and other treatable illnesses, so the average would skew younger then. 

So I'm going to stick with my statement that they live long lives unless they smoke and drink themselves to death being generally true enough. The men don't live as long as the women, for sure, but they aren't all kicking the bucket at 50 either. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1