IGNORED

Doug Wilson 2: Christian Nationalism, Dominionism and Excuses for Abuse

nelliebelle1197

10 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Had not realized the extent to which the Wilson women are in on the family grift. 

You might almost say that it's very egalitarian of Doug to allow his wife & daughters to cash in.

They're an integral part of the Canon Press kingdom. Rebekah recently put out the documentary Eve in Exile, which seems to be a tamer, more grown up version of The Return of the Daughters. The big difference is that in the film Rebekah acknowledges working women and single women living on their own, while still talking about how home should be a woman's central focus. It makes about as much sense as the Botkins talking about the dangers of "careerism," but also women can have their own houses and money.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Columbia said:

It makes about as much sense as the Botkins talking about the dangers of "careerism," but also women can have their own houses and money.

Right, while one of the Botkinetti is now a real estate agent and daughter in law Kara's Insta bio is: 

Real estate investing since 2017.
💙 Investing and business.
Chemical engineer.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Right, while one of the Botkinetti is now a real estate agent and daughter in law Kara's Insta bio is: 

Real estate investing since 2017.
💙 Investing and business.
Chemical engineer.

If Kara & Lucas are in on Geoffʻs 200-year plan there is nary a mention of it on their social media. Kara talks about money, real estate, sushi restaurants, running, and Lucas & her dogs in about that order. Lucas talks about guns & t-Rex Arms.

Power to them, actually, if they have defied Geoffʻs stupidities and are living their own lives. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Something, something, ReAd HIm In CoNTexT!!1!!!

I do keep wondering how long it will be until some unhinged theo-bro carries out violence in Doug's name.

Love the inimitable Katie Botkin, first cousin to the Botkinetti, free spirit, free thinker, Doug Wilson critic!  She's moved away from Moscow to Sandpoint, ID,  had a baby...

Anyway, this was posted by someone on the Examining Doug Wilson and Moscow, Idaho facebook page, in response to reprise of the history of how Doug Wilson took over the church that became his ecclesiastical empire.  Of course, there was lying, manipulation and skullduggery on DW's part. 

Katie's blog post is from around 2015, but no matter, it's timeless and in response to one of Doug Wilson's idiotic wordsmithy posts on Blah and More Blah, "On Why Christian Women Are Prettier". 

Why men who submit to authority are prettier

• Thank You 5

The Examining Doug Wilson and Moscow, Idaho facebook page has some powerful posts today.  

One person living in Moscow posted about all of the damaging effects of Doug Wilson's cult.  I hadn't realized until I read this how shockingly deep the CREC has its tentacles into this small town and how powerful they've become.  Longish, so under a spoiler. 

Spoiler

The Moscult Report  (check that page out on facebook)

Unfortunately, all of the everyday citizens here in Moscow, Idaho are victims of Doug and his cult. University of Idaho students are victims of his cult. Kirkers buy up as many houses as they can and put them on Airbnb forcing up the price of rent up for students. A small one bedroom studio apartment the size of a cheap motel in Moscow is going for $1,200 or more;

New families are victims of his cult. Cult owned real estate companies and their clients buy up large amounts of houses in Moscow, forcing up the price and they only sell them to current members of Doug's cult;

High school students in Latah county are victim of his cult. Logos students play against public schools. The problem is, they're so greedy to win, that they give their kids some of the most expensive high-end sports gear you can buy, things like carbon fiber.

They've also been busing in some of the best CREC athletes from around the country boarding them with Kirker families and then using the strategy to decimate poor public school children that don't have any money who just want to play for the love of the game. A lot of these kids dropped out of the teams because of them;

University of Idaho professors are victims of Doug's cult. If any professor speaks out about Doug's cult, as in warning, their students, Doug and his cult will do everything in their power to get this professor, terminated;

The University of Idaho is victim of Doug's cult. Doug Wilson and his cult minions stole letterhead from the University of Idaho's English department in a plot to commit fraud;

The ecology of Latah county is a victim of Doug Wilson's cult. Numerous Kirker building projects have completely ignored the ecological and environmental regulations and warnings from Latah county officials, causing a large amount of flooding and erosion;

New businesses are victims of Doug's cult. New non-cult owned businesses, have a hard time thriving here because Doug's cult members have bought up most of our downtown section. So when new businesses come into town, the rent is so high because of such little space, they have a hard time of thriving;

New churches are unable to come into town because Doug's cult buys up the local churches in the area like a monopoly game. This prevents other Christian groups from becoming part of our community in order for the cult to dominate the church scene here;

The citizens of Troy Idaho are victims of Doug's cult. Doug's cult is holding church services in a building that is not zoned for a church. The primary reason why they are doing this, is so Kirkers will move into Troy and slowly take over the population. Kirkers aren't content with just owning Moscow, they want all the small towns around her;

Our local newspapers are victims of Doug's cult. Anytime the newspaper has written, even a single sentence about Doug's cult, they filed lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit. So when his cult does something terrible in our town, a lot of people aren't aware of it because they've sued the local paper into fearing writing about them.

Our whole town is being held as hostages by Dougie Hamas

If you've noticed one theme to all of these problems, it's greed, arrogance and cruelty, quality that is not becoming of a Christian. And if you don't act like a Christian, then what are you? You're in a cult that preaches cruelty, hate and fear.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 6

3 hours ago, Howl said:

University of Idaho professors are victims of Doug's cult. If any professor speaks out about Doug's cult, as in warning, their students, Doug and his cult will do everything in their power to get this professor, terminated;

That wouldn't surprise me at all, but are there any examples of this happening?

4 hours ago, Howl said:

The Examining Doug Wilson and Moscow, Idaho facebook page has some powerful posts today.  

One person living in Moscow posted about all of the damaging effects of Doug Wilson's cult.  I hadn't realized until I read this how shockingly deep the CREC has its tentacles into this small town and how powerful they've become.  Longish, so under a spoiler. 

Hide contents

The Moscult Report  (check that page out on facebook)

Unfortunately, all of the everyday citizens here in Moscow, Idaho are victims of Doug and his cult. University of Idaho students are victims of his cult. Kirkers buy up as many houses as they can and put them on Airbnb forcing up the price of rent up for students. A small one bedroom studio apartment the size of a cheap motel in Moscow is going for $1,200 or more;

New families are victims of his cult. Cult owned real estate companies and their clients buy up large amounts of houses in Moscow, forcing up the price and they only sell them to current members of Doug's cult;

High school students in Latah county are victim of his cult. Logos students play against public schools. The problem is, they're so greedy to win, that they give their kids some of the most expensive high-end sports gear you can buy, things like carbon fiber.

They've also been busing in some of the best CREC athletes from around the country boarding them with Kirker families and then using the strategy to decimate poor public school children that don't have any money who just want to play for the love of the game. A lot of these kids dropped out of the teams because of them;

The University of Idaho is victim of Doug's cult. Doug Wilson and his cult minions stole letterhead from the University of Idaho's English department in a plot to commit fraud;

The ecology of Latah county is a victim of Doug Wilson's cult. Numerous Kirker building projects have completely ignored the ecological and environmental regulations and warnings from Latah county officials, causing a large amount of flooding and erosion;

New businesses are victims of Doug's cult. New non-cult owned businesses, have a hard time thriving here because Doug's cult members have bought up most of our downtown section. So when new businesses come into town, the rent is so high because of such little space, they have a hard time of thriving;

New churches are unable to come into town because Doug's cult buys up the local churches in the area like a monopoly game. This prevents other Christian groups from becoming part of our community in order for the cult to dominate the church scene here;

The citizens of Troy Idaho are victims of Doug's cult. Doug's cult is holding church services in a building that is not zoned for a church. The primary reason why they are doing this, is so Kirkers will move into Troy and slowly take over the population. Kirkers aren't content with just owning Moscow, they want all the small towns around her;

Our local newspapers are victims of Doug's cult. Anytime the newspaper has written, even a single sentence about Doug's cult, they filed lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit. So when his cult does something terrible in our town, a lot of people aren't aware of it because they've sued the local paper into fearing writing about them.

Our whole town is being held as hostages by Dougie Hamas

If you've noticed one theme to all of these problems, it's greed, arrogance and cruelty, quality that is not becoming of a Christian. And if you don't act like a Christian, then what are you? You're in a cult that preaches cruelty, hate and fear.

I am only barely aware of Doug Wilson and his nefarious deeds and beliefs. I think I need to go down this rabbit hole a ways. But after reading this article from the Moscult Report, I'm a little nervous. 😳

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Loveday said:

I am only barely aware of Doug Wilson and his nefarious deeds and beliefs. I think I need to go down this rabbit hole a ways. But after reading this article from the Moscult Report, I'm a little nervous. 😳

I frequently use the word "Machiavellian" to describe Doug Wilson and continue to think it's an apt descriptor. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

41 minutes ago, Howl said:

I frequently use the word "Machiavellian" to describe Doug Wilson and continue to think it's an apt descriptor. 

Yes. He seems to have memorized and internalized the manual, so to speak.😕

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I wish I was the kind of independently wealthy that could just like... go in to that town and ruin it for people like him so that regular people have a chance.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...

Katie Botkin knows Doug Wilson and the CREC culture up close and personal.  Here's her take on the current brouhaha over Doug Wilson and Nancy Wilson's ******up take on spanking, which is, If you aren't hitting your children, you're not a Christian. 

The Emotional Price of Spanking

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Heh, "Doug Wilson" is trending on Twitter and not in a good way. 

It's not spanking, it's a woman named Hilary who is now telling her story.   When she was 15, her father (a member of Doug Wilson's congregation) was spying on her in the shower and molesting her through "inappropriate" touch.   

Yes, they all had a meeting with Doug and Nancy Wilson where everything was brought out in the open, the father confessed, Nancy told Hillary not to take it public, everybody prayed and Hallelujah!, all was forgiven.   Of course, Doug and Nancy did not contact the police over this and sent everybody home.  Hilary was sent back home to live with her abuser.  Her mother went back home to live with the husband who had been molesting their daughter. 

Doug claims he did report to the police, but not until a few years later when it came out and he had to do SOMETHING. 

Doug Wilson is a sick, sick man. Of course, his leg humpers are showing up to claim he didn't do anything wrong. 

• Angry 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 6

Meanwhile, Kevin DeYoung has written an article to try to straddle the fence. (And other theobros are retweeting it because it lets them be a little bit anti-Wilson without going all the way to refutation.)

OT1H: "I'm not going to focus on historical or theological disagreements I may have with Wilson" and "many Christians are helped by the resources put out by Wilson and Canon Press" and "I often agree with what Wilson says—especially in what he critiques about our present age."

OTOH: He thinks the "Moscow mood" is full of coarse, angry talk and makes Christians look less winsome — it's "often irreverent, rebellious, and full of devil-may-care playground taunts. That doesn’t make us better Christians".

So, the extreme complementarianism, handling of abuse, and views on Southern slavery apparently aren't worth his time (believe me, if DeYoung thought there was any theological heresy he'd have written a book). He just wishes Doug wouldn't be so crude and pugnacious.

On Culture War, Doug Wilson, and the Moscow Mood

30 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

So, the extreme complementarianism, handling of abuse, and views on Southern slavery apparently aren't worth his time (believe me, if DeYoung thought there was any theological heresy he'd have written a book). He just wishes Doug wouldn't be so crude and pugnacious.

Yep. Kevin is just upset that Doug Wilson & his minions make True Christians™️ like himself look bad.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Gross. No doubt Doug will be chummy and reasonable with someone like Kevin's critique, especially since there are potential followers to poach.

21 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

That's because if he said anything about the sexual abuse cover ups he might have to answer some uncomfortable questions about why he never said anything when his buddy C.J. Mahaney was accused of similar things years ago.

There's a couple on Twitter who were members of either the Kirk, or another CREC church for several years who are talking about their experiences, and aren't backing down. They seem to have kept all the receipts. 

Spoiler

On top of that, that Examine DW page on Twitter has been going hard on a case of voyeurism and touching that Doug apparently never reported. Of all the excuses he's had for his egregious cover-ups, he's never addressed this one, suggesting that there's no way to spin this to make him look like the good guy. They also seem to have discovered yet another predatory teacher at Logos.

Spoiler

It's a good thing November is ending, because nobody has been taking any quarter with DW and all his questionable actions this month. It's almost like someone set fire to the pirate ship he was using. Oh wait. That would be himself.

image.thumb.png.da3e75488d58ed0df889e22cbeeeaad9.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

6 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

The timing of all of this being discussed feels like the perfect twist in his big month to draw attention to himself. 

His poor silly stooge, Joe Rigney, is once again trying to convince everyone that Emilie Dye was somehow at fault for her own grooming and assault the moment she turned 18. 

I hope that all the people from a few years ago who talked about how shady Joe Rigney was while he was the president of John Piper's seminary feel justified watching him repeatedly blame an abuse victim whose grooming began when she was a minor for "sin."

Spoiler

• Disgust 1
  • Thank You 1

Sarah Stankorb takes a look at how well Doug Wilson's "No Quarter November" went this year. Doug's flamethrower singed his ass:

This November, Wilson’s month of antagonistic blog posts (usually printed later as anthologies sold for $6.95) did not evoke his anticipated fear and trembling. For Wilson watchers and critics, some days online it felt like Wilson’s annual firestorm might have finally reached a critical mass of outside observers—and threatened to consume him instead.

ETA: Stankorb links to Doug's own webpage that "explains" the various controversies he has created. Guess he's feeling the heat if he thinks he has to provide explanations. Good.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 3

On 11/29/2023 at 11:52 AM, Antipatriarch said:

Shorter version:  STOP MAKING US LOOK BAD!

These asshats have zero comprehension that they are themselves revealed as abusive when they say Emilie Dye was sinning and complicit in her own sexual abuse, because of course females are inherently evil and what chance does a man have against hot teen girls -- the Jezebel trope.  YUCK! 

This is one of those Wilson things that are both blatant and hidden.  On the surface it's blatantly the Wilson brand.  But the EXTENT to which he protects male sexual abusers?  It's as though these men are proxies for Wilson's own sexual deviance.  A huge red flag?  Wilson "counseling" young female victims alone and wanting extremely specific information on every intimate sexual detail is itself a form of abuse.  I wish someone would launch a civil suit against Wilson for this,  although I'm not sure what the legal basis would be. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I wish someone would launch a civil suit against Wilson for this,  although I'm not sure what the legal basis would be. 

IANAL, but I suspect Wilson gets away with this abuse because he's technically a pastor even though he essentially invented his own credentials. He certainly has no training in counseling, working with the wounded or traumatized, or even pastoral counseling. 

He should be sued up the wazoo but I completely understand why many of his victims choose not do so, especially if they or their families are still enmeshed in the Wilson cult.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

16 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

IANAL, but I suspect Wilson gets away with this abuse because he's technically a pastor even though he essentially invented his own credentials.

I've been wondering how this relates to his status as a mandated reporter relative to Idaho law. 

Wilson has built a high-control cult that deliberately denigrates women.

I've said in the past that the entire CREC "counseling" scam is a way to get dirt on CREC congregants and know what's coming so Wilson can strategize on damage control and manipulate his parishioners to do what's best for Wilson.  As noted above, as a side benefit, Wilson has a prurient interest in the intimate details.  

Edited by Howl
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I've been wondering how this relates to his status as a mandated reporter relative to Idaho law. 

Wilson has built a high-control cult that deliberately denigrates women.

I've said in the past that the entire CREC "counseling" scam is a way to get dirt on CREC congregants and know what's coming so Wilson can strategize on damage control and manipulate his parishioners to do what's best for Wilson.  As noted above, as a side benefit, Wilson has a prurient interest in the intimate details.  

Hadn't thought of the role as mandatory reporter but you're right -- he has clearly ignored that requirement.

The CREC "counseling" scam is like the small group scam in a number of high control churches, like SGM. The end point is to control the participants by acquiring private information shared in those settings to be used to punish or silence people. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3