IGNORED

Loretta Lynn Has Passed at 90

Loveday

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/loretta-lynn-coal-miners-daughter-country-music-icon-dies-90-rcna42483

I grew up as an unwilling listener to country music. My parents LOVED it. My dad was from middle Tennessee so it was all we listened to. I hated it then. I appreciate it now in my old age; it's the music of my people. Rest in peace, Miss Loretta. 😢 

• Upvote 1

Loretta Lynn has died. 

Loretta Lynn, the Kentucky coal miner’s daughter whose frank songs about life and love as a woman in Appalachia pulled her out of poverty and made her a pillar of country music, has died. She was 90.

In a statement provided to The Associated Press, Lynn's family said she died Tuesday at her home in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee.

Lynn already had four children before launching her career in the early 1960s, and her songs reflected her pride in her rural Kentucky background.

As a songwriter, she crafted a persona of a defiantly tough woman, a contrast to the stereotypical image of most female country singers. The Country Music Hall of Famer wrote fearlessly about sex and love, cheating husbands, divorce and birth control and sometimes got in trouble with radio programmers for material from which even rock performers once shied away.

• Move Along 1
  • Thank You 1

Please look for an existing thread before posting.  Thanks.

• Love 1

I don't remember a time in my life when I didn't know about and love the music of Loretta Lynn. I loved her work with Conway Twitty. She was a sassy, but sweet woman with scads of talent. Her songs could have touches of humor but always felt real. I am so heart broken. 

I'm sure her and Patsy are having a grand reunion! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1