IGNORED

Coronavirus 8: One Million Dead in 2022 and We're Only in August

Coconut Flan

Curious about any proposed mechanism. The apparent difference in shedding is interesting, will need to read more on that.

• Upvote 1

Comprehensive paper on Long Covid known pathology.

Also argues for better definitions of different types of Long Covid so targeted treatment can be given - and importantly so that the treatment given doesn't actually make it worse. The overlap in types is summed up by this figure, but undoubtedly breaks down further.

Spoiler

1-s2.0-S1043276023000553-gr1_lrg.thumb.jpg.e31c501bee72185a8605e497716da26d.jpg

Hoping this translates into better outcomes for people.

• Thank You 4

• 3 weeks later...

I was saddened to read this week that people dying of COVID in the ICU were more likely dying of a secondary bacterial pneumonia rather than the cytokine storm that was blamed for a year or two.  Bacterial pneumonia is something they could try to treat and that people could be strongly encouraged to get vaccinated against.  

My GP had me get an updated pneumonia vaccination in February just as COVID was starting both to boost my immune system and hopefully help fight off secondary pneumonia if I did catch it.  He's moved on or I'd thank him profusely.  

In my COVID news, I still haven't had it, saw the rheumatologist yesterday and I have an appointment later today for my SIXTH dose.  He says I do need a spring booster.  At this point even I am hitting vaccine fatigue.  

He was the first doctor I've seen in over three years who wasn't masked.  I was wearing a mask.  I've finally downgraded to surgical masks.  He opened the door, saw my mask, closed the door, and returned wearing a mask.  So he's going without a mask unless the patient is wearing one.  

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

He was the first doctor I've seen in over three years who wasn't masked.

I was very surprised to see that masks were no longer required at my medical clinic.  None of the staff I saw wore a mask, and maybe 20% of the patients (myself included) wore masks.  Since we have become accustomed to wearing masks over the past few years, you’d think medical facilities would be the one place they’d continue the practice.

It’s amazing how many people I know who either currently have or are recently recovering from Covid.  We are going in for boosters near the end of summer.  My husband had it in January, and I still haven’t caught it. 

• Upvote 2

The offices of the major medical groups here all still require masks for staff and patients.  This doctor is one of the few remaining independent practitioners and while he's affiliated with a major group, they don't own his practice.  Today I'll be at one of the groups large complexes for the vaccination so masking should be enforced.  I left an opthalmologist quite early in the pandemic partially over masking.  

• Upvote 2

The GP practice where I go is still masking. Lots of elderly and vulnerable patients - and, to be honest, the doctors want to reduce the chance of getting sick themselves. On PT it's very low, although there are still people masking and that may increase as we move into winter.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mask data point. At the end of April the large dr office I got to was masked required. Went for bloodwork last week and they are now recommended not required. 

I was almost to the point of being OK to go in the well ventilated supermarket unmasked.  The CO2 level stayed below 600 the entire time I was in the store.  Then my housekeeper called to say she wouldn't be doing my house last week and wanted to wait until Friday this week.  Her teenage daughter has COVID.  She developed pneumonia.  Fortunately her mother now has an ear for the cough and took her to the doctor while it was still just setting in.  Friday afternoon I have an appointment in the land of "I ain't wearin no mask.  I haz my freedums."  I'll definitely be wearing a mask.  

• Upvote 3

My work is back to an email per day covid case notification, which considering the low testing rates indicates we probably are in another wave. Not that you would know from govt data as they stopped providing that, sigh. Either way we're heading into winter, RSV, flu and covid case numbers are rising and now is not the effing time to make masks optional in health and aged care settings ffs.

• Upvote 2

Everyone here seems happy to behave as if Covid is fully over. Masks optional everywhere, including hospitals, and hardly anyone taking that option. My MIL will be getting a booster in June (her 6 th I think) but anyone not elderly or immunocompromised is just getting a shrug and a vague arm wave indicating sometime in the fall maybe, when asking for their next booster. 

Meanwhile, after 3 years of avoiding it, Mr PPoD and I finally got Covid. I thought for sure I'd be the one to pick it up from the kids at school, but nope. Mr PPoD got it first. He's not even sure where he got it from as he mostly works from home. Thankfully it wasn't too bad. A few days of fever, lots of coughing and congestion, and a very sore throat. 

Finally tested negative on Monday, so was back to work yesterday. Am still coughing though, which I gather lingers a while. Also feeling very run down. 

So all in all, wasn't the worst thing, but it wasn't fun either and we both still lost over a week of work to it. It also shows that it's definitely still something people should be protecting themselves against. We continue to mask and continue to limit what we do (avoiding crowds etc) but the one thing that could help the most is the next booster shot. It's pissing me off that we don't know when the next one is coming. And that they are clearly trying to move to a once yearly schedule, like with the flu shot. I get why they do that with the flu shot given that it really does fade out in the summer months, so a fall shot makes sense. But a fall shot of a Covid vaccine is only effective for a few months. I got my last booster in September. Clearly it had worn off by the time I got Covid in May. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

I read an article the other day that  talked about an updated analysis of the vaccine effectiveness. And it basically wears off just as fast as the flu vaccine. But protection for severe covid remains high much longer.

I wonder when we're going to stop testing and staying home when they have it. I think people already are but I mean generally.

I used to go to work with a "cold" all the time and nobody blinked an eye. And vice versa when somebody came to work sick. Seems like such an innocent time now.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Just a personal observation that Covid is still circulating.  Right this moment, we know about a dozen people, including our neighbors across the street, who have it or are recovering from it.  I’m really looking forward to getting a booster vaccination next month.  

• Upvote 5

New Eris subvariant circulating.  From the article symptoms of the subvariant reportedly include a runny nose, headache, fatigue, sneezing and a sore throat.

i was at a friend's house on the weekend and her daughter has tested positive, sigh. Right now we are having an early spring with lots of pollen so "runny nose" is a spectacularly useless symptom.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Several nieghbors were gathered together on the sidewalk last week catching up as we do at times.  One was absolutely shocked when I said people were still dying of COVID every day.  He was all surely not.  He was also off on how many in the US had died of COVID by a factor of over 10.  ::SMH::

• Upvote 4

This is an interesting Twitter thread and I find it very plausible. Between, non-stop COVID infections and insurance companies not taking any prisoners, I believe it:

• Thank You 3

On 8/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, CTRLZero said:

Just a personal observation that Covid is still circulating.  Right this moment, we know about a dozen people, including our neighbors across the street, who have it or are recovering from it.  I’m really looking forward to getting a booster vaccination next month.  

It is definitely still going around.  Mr. No saw his doctor a couple of weeks ago and she mentioned a local spike in infections around the 4th of July.

We have been attending family events but now with Covid numbers rising we will be going back to taking precautions again.    We have a small event to attend tomorrow, should be OK but there's a large wedding in September and I am a bit worried about going to that event.  

ETA: Mr. No got his fifth shot a couple of months ago as he's over 65 but I am not eligible.   Really hoping I can get another booster soon.

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

@nokidsmom I hope you’ll be able to get your booster soon!

Not Covid related but nonetheless interesting: There’s a special episode of This week in Virology called “Topplling the anti-vaxxer pyramid with flu shot cheerleader Desiree Townsend” 

Desiree talks about how she got sucked in the anti vaxx movement and how she got out. It’s been so interesting to hear her perspective.

We need a science thread!

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:49 PM, nokidsmom said:

ETA: Mr. No got his fifth shot a couple of months ago as he's over 65 but I am not eligible.   Really hoping I can get another booster soon.

I am seeing signs of another spike underway, not visible in most places yet but of course once we see it, we know it's been spreading for weeks or months already.  Crowded autumn events will probably get it rolling in a more visible manner.

@nokidsmom, when I went a month or so ago to request a second bivalent booster, they said only 64 and older OR immunocompromised.  But they were VERY flexible about what constitutes compromised immune system.  Although I'm not 65 and I couldn't honestly say yes to any of their qualifying medical issues, when I told them I visit my mom who lives in skilled nursing, they decided that was enough to qualify me.

Unless you live somewhere where they regularly run out of vaccine, you might consider trying again.  Especially at your county Public Health office.  The public health staff really wants folks to get/stay vaccinated and they will do what they can to accommodate within their rules (IMO).

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...

We went in for our [senior] flu and RSV vaccines today.  We inquired about when the new Covid booster would be available and were told they expect approval next week.  By the time the vaccines reach that particular pharmacy, however, it might be as late as mid-October.  Anyway, I’ll be glad when it finally arrives.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

We went in for our [senior] flu and RSV vaccines today.  We inquired about when the new Covid booster would be available and were told they expect approval next week.  By the time the vaccines reach that particular pharmacy, however, it might be as late as mid-October.  Anyway, I’ll be glad when it finally arrives.  

Did you get both flu and RSV vaccines at the same time? Did you have any reaction?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

Did you get both flu and RSV vaccines at the same time? Did you have any reaction?

Yes, both at the same time.  The injection site is a little itchy and sore, but no other reaction as of this morning.

The pharmacist who administered our vaccines did not inject us in the usual location, which is typically right in the middle of the shoulder.  Instead, he moved it back just a couple inches.  That minor change made all the difference in getting a good night’s sleep, since I could roll onto either side and my shoulder wasn’t painful.  Small change, big impact.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

We went over to my MIL’s assisted living facility yesterday.  They don’t have any “mask required” signage up, but we were met at the front door and asked if we would kindly mask up.  Of course, gladly.  😷  Apparently Covid is rampaging through the local hospitals, and the assisted living facility is trying very hard to keep it at bay.  We tend to mask up, anyway, but it was good to have the reminder and know the facility is doing its best to keep residents safe.

PS:  @FiveAcres - I did have a little reaction to my vaccinations last night, but mild aches and feeling a little feverish were over in a few hours.  I’m feeling pretty normal now.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

On 9/8/2023 at 7:20 AM, CTRLZero said:

Yes, both at the same time.  The injection site is a little itchy and sore, but no other reaction as of this morning.

The pharmacist who administered our vaccines did not inject us in the usual location, which is typically right in the middle of the shoulder.  Instead, he moved it back just a couple inches.  That minor change made all the difference in getting a good night’s sleep, since I could roll onto either side and my shoulder wasn’t painful.  Small change, big impact.  

I might ask if they could do that for me too, as the pain in the shoulder when sleeping is usually a problem for me for a night or two after a vaccination.  What a smart improvement!

On another note, I spent part of yesterday in our local ER after a friend took a fall and needed an xray -- she was afraid she broke her hip.  (fortunately it seems to only be bruised).  And as with the last time I was inside the hospital a few months ago, I was the only one masked.  Not the patients, not the doctor, not the nurses.  Grr.  Except I know they have been told they don't have to.  I just wish they would reverse that rule even though the new spike in cases hasn't reached us yet.

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

My out of the house young adult son currently has covid and it hasn’t been an easy case so far. Very severe headache the first day along with fever, chills, achy body, weak, nauseous, bad taste. He’s on day three now getting a little better every day. So less respiratory and coughing for him this time around. I’ve got my appointment for the vaccine on Friday. I’m going to hold off on the flu shot for another month.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1