• WTF 1

More on Alito:

image.thumb.png.32f056cbeee82ec5a3315df819e39a4c.png
image.thumb.png.1426ce010ad5507acb4d5848c736ba80.png

image.png.f7e68bde2befca5413fe213248fa27cd.png

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

Today, the supreme court ruled that affirmative action for college admissions is unconstitutional. 

• Disgust 1
  • Thank You 6

Not happy about the decision today. That's an understatement. More like mad as hell. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

This is Thomas in a nutshell 

image.png.085a9b84426626c34abd25c015137a13.png

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

This ruling, along with affirmative action, and Dobbs makes me scream a big “fuck you” to Mitch McConnell, who blocked hearings on Garland’s nomination and rammed through Kavanaugh and the handmaiden. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 4

We know how this horrible court will rule. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.jpeg.56dae01e088aae79c45c3a3668bfd008.jpeg

People are so quick with their responses. Now let's wait for the wailing from the Right.

image.thumb.png.fac3fa0e59f238c4d12adfb59eb1bfdb.png

• Upvote 11

58 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

People are so quick with their responses. Now let's wait for the wailing from the Right.

It’s so unsettling.  I’m waiting to see how outrageously far some businesses might take this ruling.  For example, can you refuse business to women if you are patriarchal.  Can you turn women away who wear pants; men with long hair?  It’s such a hateful ruling, and I’m still trying to figure out the ramifications and how businesses can implement this.  Sigh.  

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I’m waiting to see how outrageously far some businesses might take this ruling.

IANAL, but this ruling seems to make it likely that more lawsuits seeking to overturn Obergefell will be filed in hopes that they end up at SCOTUS. If you can deny service or public accommodation to a protected class of the public, it will be easier to strip them of other rights. The SCOTUS justices who ruled in favor on this apparently fake legal case are fucking assholes.

Re: student debt. This was also a vile decision but I am seeing some interesting & possibly feasible work arounds. First, many brokers of student debt do not maintain (or never had) proper chain of title to those accounts. If you challenge them to produce the chain of title and they donʻt respond or canʻt do so, you can get a court judgement voiding the debt. I have heard of this succeeding wrt real estate loans where strings of companies kept buying up home loans but didnʻt pass on the original paperwork so I am sure there are similar situations with student debt:

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

It’s so unsettling.  I’m waiting to see how outrageously far some businesses might take this ruling.  For example, can you refuse business to women if you are patriarchal.  Can you turn women away who wear pants; men with long hair?  It’s such a hateful ruling, and I’m still trying to figure out the ramifications and how businesses can implement this.  Sigh.  

I'm guessing that the vast majority of businesses will carry on as usual.  Businesses that don't may be losing more money than just from the individuals they refuse, since word tends to get around.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

To be fair, though, Trumpers and sluts women in pants have never been a protected class so businesses have always been free to turn them away without repercussions. A sign saying you refuse to serve Christians would get you in trouble. But it would be so worth it, except for hearing the endless screams of persecution.

• Upvote 9

Mormon Stories You Tube/podcast posted an episode regarding the LDS/Mormon church’s funding of and amicus brief in the website discrimination case.  Church involvement in website case  It’s short as far as their typical podcasts go, less than an hour.  It was interesting, to me, to see a couple of the entities pushing these cases up to the Supreme Court.

For a small denomination, this church has a disproportionate impact on US politics because of its huge bank account. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

• 2 weeks later...

Corruption is so pervasive throughout the entirety of the Court.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 3

It seems that Justice I Like Beer isn't well-liked or respected by his colleagues. I'm not surprised.

image.thumb.png.1c7535ad79b5756fbc3846dcb0100c36.png

Edited by GreyhoundFan
  • Thank You 8

30 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

It seems that Justice I Like Beer isn't well-liked or respected by his colleagues. I'm not surprised.

image.thumb.png.1c7535ad79b5756fbc3846dcb0100c36.png

I don't gaf about Thomas losing patience.  They all, imo, should be losing patience with him (and his wife).  Are they essentially unconcerned about questionable "extra-curricular" activities as long as they don't affect work time?

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Supreme Court gigs should have term limits; e.g., say ten years, in rotation, so that there aren't too many newbies at once.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

His corruption is self-evident. When will he finally be impeached?

• Upvote 6
  • Angry 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I repeat, when will he finally be impeached?

When we find a low lying Island for Trump supporters to have Trump's own private Kingdom with all of his fans and his favorite Congress critters, I think we found our new Chief Justice of the Trump Supreme Court.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is huge.

Supreme Court Denies Trump Attorney Eastman, Justice Thomas Recuses

The United States Supreme Court has officially denied former Trump Attorney John Eastman's attempt to vacate the lower court rulings that led to Eastman's personal emails being shared with the January 6th Committee.

In significant news, Justice Clarence Thomas recused himself from considering the petition. This news is important, especially since Justice Thomas' wife, Ginni Thomas, has been the subject of scrutiny, both by the public and by the Justice Department, for her alleged actions leading up to and on January 6. There were no notable dissents this morning.

image.png.7b69be7e4b437d6dcd293f7c811a694a.png

Ginni Thomas exchanged emails with Eastman... :popcorn2:

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

• 4 months later...

This is a pretty long tweet-thread, but well worth the read.

Sadly, no un-rolled version is available as of yet, so I'm putting the whole thing under the spoiler.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6a903c525e717397ae6ffcb27f2b895c.png

image.thumb.png.9dda648cd1d173e6bc9de9d368be4698.png

image.thumb.png.1089a5ff42dfd991317d8ce84c456914.png

image.thumb.png.6ee82e5387ba76ad000ee70bb6eac115.png

image.thumb.png.1c217b7487d216a14418fd037b9ad5a6.png

image.thumb.png.11d5b52e0980ae585db0f7e0e17c61d8.png

• Thank You 5

22 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

This is a pretty long tweet-thread, but well worth the read.

So interesting.  I’ve often wondered how much double dealing and long-game schemes go on behind the scenes.  Probably plenty, but we’ll likely never know for sure.  I appreciate you posting the thread.  🙂 

• Upvote 4