IGNORED

Oh Cleve dear, really??

SimplyMe

I'm glad someone brought up the paint colors- I'd almost forgotten about that. Those are some of the worst, most ugly interior paint colors I've seem, especially for adult rooms. Poor Cleve, his family seems to have much better taste than his future wife. I'd love to see the finished product-I can't imagine what kind of decor will go with those colors, especially the lime green-it's really really bad.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Double-post to say part 2 of the weekend is now up and I'm going to scrutinize some more.

I just scanned through these posts. Gawd these people are enmeshed...no boundaries exist....squicky!

How did they get 60 or so grown adults to show up for an "impromptu" engagement party in the middle of the day like that? She says its her fellow church members. Do they not have jobs or anything else to do?

Seems odd.

I think the title of that post was "The weekend Cleve asked her..." or something. The post also mentions that it was a Saturday, which would explain the lack of working. And who doesn't like a good engagement scene? :)

Thoughts:

The four-tables-in-a-square thing is cute, but I feel bad for the grandchildren, spread out amongst three kid's tables like that. What fun is that? On the other hand, most of these kids see each other every day and maybe they're sick of each other.

I don't know, when I was a kid I *loved* being at the kids' table instead of the adults' table because it was so much more fun. All the people my age all together, no boring grown-up conversation, and generally the food was more age-appropriate.....because who likes green beans at that age?

Cleve has his hand on Lise's HEAD while giving a speech? WTF?

The way the dinner, etc, was planned makes me wonder if the engagement was just a ceremonial gesture, rather than the more traditional "surprise" we're all familiar with. The whole thing is... weird.

It might have been more planned...if you're seriously courting and it's going well, there might have been several serious talks already about marriage, and when, and details. *Shrug* As to the hand on the head thing, I've seen it done before as a loving gesture when one person is talking (and standing) and referencing the other person (who is sitting). I doubt he kept his hand clamped to her head the entire speech, ha!

I don't know, when I was a kid I *loved* being at the kids' table instead of the adults' table because it was so much more fun. All the people my age all together, no boring grown-up conversation, and generally the food was more age-appropriate.....because who likes green beans at that age?

You misunderstand me - that was my point exactly. If you look at the picture, the adults are all in the four-square table, but the children are spread out at THREE different tables in different corners of the room. In fact, looking at it, I'm pretty sure they're segregated by family - that looks like Rachel's boys behind Rachel, and Katie's behind Katie in another corner (you can see her daughter) and the third table is Kressant's children. Wouldn't the children want to visit with their cousins?

You misunderstand me - that was my point exactly. If you look at the picture, the adults are all in the four-square table, but the children are spread out at THREE different tables in different corners of the room. In fact, looking at it, I'm pretty sure they're segregated by family - that looks like Rachel's boys behind Rachel, and Katie's behind Katie in another corner (you can see her daughter) and the third table is Kressant's children. Wouldn't the children want to visit with their cousins?

Ahh, I see what you mean - it was that they were at three tables among the kids, instead of one kids' table together. Yeah, I would have rather eaten with my cousins, but that's because I rarely got to see them. Maybe they do get to see each other enough, though; and there was probably cousin play time outside of meal time. And from the parental perspective, three tables certainly seems to make for better kiddie crowd control than one large kids' table.

Gosh, I think Addie left out the part where Cleve and Lise snuck off to the wine celler and did improper things to each other b/c there were only 99 chaperones to make sure they weren't having sex.

I think the title of that post was "The weekend Cleve asked her..." or something. The post also mentions that it was a Saturday, which would explain the lack of working. And who doesn't like a good engagement scene? :)

It might have been more planned...if you're seriously courting and it's going well, there might have been several serious talks already about marriage, and when, and details. *Shrug* As to the hand on the head thing, I've seen it done before as a loving gesture when one person is talking (and standing) and referencing the other person (who is sitting). I doubt he kept his hand clamped to her head the entire speech, ha!

You defended them,it sounds like you know them. Do you know them? If so, you better spill insider information and not flounce before all questions are asked. ;)

One of the last pics is Cleve reading a letter or card from "Your Betrothed!". Going to gag and throw up now. I wonder if a "chaperone" has to read the letter as well or is that at least private!? I mean, clearly these people have no boundaries so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if one of Cleve's sibling or parents had to read the card to make sure Lise isn't writing anything inappropriate.

**Another interesting note... Addie mentioned under a picture of Lise's sister Prentiss (another horrible name... reminds me of praying mantis) and Chandler that there was only a few more weeks left until their wedding. I know on their registry it says 12-3-11 as the wedding date but is it possible they've moved up their wedding so Lise can get married on that date instead!!? Rats! I hope not! I was so looking forward to a double fundie wedding!!!

One of the last pics is Cleve reading a letter or card from "Your Betrothed!". Going to gag and throw up now. I wonder if a "chaperone" has to read the letter as well or is that at least private!? I mean, clearly these people have no boundaries so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if one of Cleve's sibling or parents had to read the card to make sure Lise isn't writing anything inappropriate.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do read the letters. Didn't Kelly Bates say that they read Zach's texts from his girl (crap, I'm drawing a blank on her name)? Of course she presents it as him wanting to share every last detail of their conversations, but I don't buy that. I'm guessing they monitor them pretty closely, they wouldn't want to risk them "sexting" one another.

Considering the Mortons seem to prefer to not have any private moments and would rather the entire town be privy to every detail of their private lives, he probably read the letter aloud to the crowd.

How do you pronounce Lise? It looks like there's a diaeresis (umlaut thing) over the E in her name. Wouldn't that be pronounced Lee-see? Or Lee-say? It's just so confusing...

How do you pronounce Lise? It looks like there's a diaeresis (umlaut thing) over the E in her name. Wouldn't that be pronounced Lee-see? Or Lee-say? It's just so confusing...

I thought it was pronounced like "lease".

I thought it was Lee sah or Lee Say. I hope it isn't with a long i because that would sound like lice. :lol:

That's how I've been pronouncing it in my head.

I really wonder how much this engagement isn't just an attempt to marry off two older unmarried children. For as much as I wonder about Kress and Michael, and even at times whether Rachel is as in love with Wes as Wes is with her, these two really don't seem to connect.

With Addie courting age, and Prentiss marrying before Lise, I wonder if there weren't some heavy handed sermons about family and quivers that these two had to listen to.

My only other theory being that they hate all the stuff their family does and are only playing along so that they can get married because they really don't look happy to be there in some of those shots.

Where is the "apartment" for Cleve and Lise? Is it on the Morton farm? I am kind of afraid that it is. Can't go too far away from the family, apparently. It looks as if they have been working on it for a while so this engagement was not a surprise to anyone.

As for the paint colors, I think the camera changed the colors. The dining room seemed to have white walls in many of the photos, but greenish or tan in some. I think the walls appear to change color because of the lighting, not because they are ugly paint colors.

Where is the "apartment" for Cleve and Lise? Is it on the Morton farm? I am kind of afraid that it is. Can't go too far away from the family, apparently. It looks as if they have been working on it for a while so this engagement was not a surprise to anyone.

As for the paint colors, I think the camera changed the colors. The dining room seemed to have white walls in many of the photos, but greenish or tan in some. I think the walls appear to change color because of the lighting, not because they are ugly paint colors.

The apartment is above the Mortons' now finished barn, next door to the main Morton home. Kressant and Michael live in one upper half, and the other was saved for Cleve, but it was finished off at least 5 or more years ago, and apparently needed a bit of redoing. It was used to house quests to the Morton farm. As for the colors, and the dishwasher, well at least they're rebelling where they can.

Engagement details are up on the M blog--- to commemorate the special occasion, he shook hands with his new fiancé. He. Shook. Her. Hand. Really? Not even a Christian-side hug? Oh puhlease. You're about to marry this woman and you can't even give her a quick embrace? And here I had hope that fine, sexy Cleve was a little more normal than the rest.

Wow. "Hi, nice to meet......errrrrr....promise to marry...you." :roll:

What I don't understand, is that I don't recall the Ks in the M's blogging lives... so just how did they 'hook up' (or should I say 'troth up')? LK seems to have come out of left field, which seems a little odd for this right leaning clan.

Could someone pronounce Lise's name? It's spelled with umlauts over the "e" which I've never seen. Anyone, anyone?

ETA: Oh, woops, should have read all the posts -- no one seems to know for sure!

Is Momma Morton pregnant? she sure looks pregnant in a few of the pics.

I wondered the same thing, but I think she is too old to be pregnant.

As for the pronunciation of Lise's name, I pronounce it "lease" in my head too, but I think it might actually be pronounced like Lisa. The reason I think this is that Adeline spelled her name "Lisa" in a post from earlier this year. mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2011/02/love-church-part-two-final-enstallment.html

For as much as I wonder about Kress and Michael, and even at times whether Rachel is as in love with Wes as Wes is with her, these two really don't seem to connect.

I get the sense that she is--she's gushed over him a few times on her own blog. Hard to know for sure, though.

I have actually met the entire Smith family. They showed up at my former church years ago when they were in town for the film festival. This was before Alan and Katie were married. I remember they were staying with our in house super fundies. The girls told us Alan was engaged ( I suppose as a warning to keep our dirty skank paws away from him) and thinking it was to the pretty gal that was hanging all over his arm. Come to find out that was Kressant. Squicky!!

I have stalked them ever since. I was beside myself happy to find a site of fellow morton/smith mockers!

So I finally had to de lurk out of curiosity. For as much as I have stalked I'm still confused as to the living arrangements. So M jr and Kressant live in the barn apartment? I know Rachel and Wes were married after M & K so why does it seem like they have the first house? And damn I'm jealous of that house, its gorgeous!

Archived