IGNORED

Oh Cleve dear, really??

SimplyMe

One of the Morton men was keen to run away to Africa and become a missionary until Daddy stepped in with a proof-text ("Therefore, a man should leave his father and mother..."-cos obviously that means leaving for any other reason isn't allowed, not that they are even allowed to leave once they're married) and stopped him. I'm pretty sure it was Wes, but I might be wrong.

ETA-I think the barn apartment is for Cleve and his betrothed. I'm pretty sure M&K have their own house. W&R's house is still being being finished off.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the Morton men was keen to run away to Africa and become a missionary until Daddy stepped in with a proof-text ("Therefore, a man should leave his father and mother..."-cos obviously that means leaving for any other reason isn't allowed, not that they are even allowed to leave once they're married) and stopped him. I'm pretty sure it was Wes, but I might be wrong.

ETA-I think the barn apartment is for Cleve and his betrothed. I'm pretty sure M&K have their own house. W&R's house is still being being finished off.

Oh I guarantee they stopped that. Its a common belief among fundies ( my family included). That the only approved way to leave the family was to marry. Male or female to leave for any other reason was a shun worthy sin. Not only do they have to approve of the chosen spouse but you both have to be professing fundies.

Its the parents final parting gift of control. They especially like the girls to marry males that kiss their butts, that way they still have a say in your life.

A shy "hi" to all :shifty:

I'm a _long_ time lurker from the other side of the Pond who finally got the courage to de-lurk. English is not my first language so please excuse my grammar and choice of all the wrong words... (I did not attend TSOTDRT!)

I think it was Michael Jr. Maybe that explains why he is always looking so damn serious and almost sad.

The reason for me to de-lurk was to ask something I've been wondering for a long time. Maybe it's just a cultural thing that I'm not aware of. In almost every picture of Michael Jr, Wes, Alan, Cleve (when he is working) or any of the Sanders' boys they are wearing army clothes, mostly hats, boots and camo pants. In the past Morton "cave visiting" pictures they almost exclusively all had camo outfits and military gear and rucksacks. Is it customary in the US for civilians to wear this kind of clothing or is it a Southern thing? A farmer thing? A Southern farmer thing? A fundy Southern farmer thing? :mrgreen: Are these clothes cheap in army surplus stores and therefore more affordable for huge fundy families?

I was just wondering because it is definitely not customary in my corner of the world, maybe just for hunters during the season. I've been to US twice and did not see army clothes and gear being used that much - but I think that NYC and Seattle aren't exactly the hot spots for military oriented fundies!

This has really puzzled me for quite a while so I would be thankful for anyone who could explain this to me!

It was Michael Jr. who was denied his trip to Africa.

Wes has a house first because the two barn apartments were apparently ALWAYS intended as a starter space for Michael and Cleve (the two oldest) and their wives (vomit). But then Cleve didn't get married, and Wes jumped ahead in line, but rather than have them move into the other apartment he just started building his own house. That house looks good now, but I suspect they put in their share of rough time living in a half-finished house (it still isn't totally finished).

Now, of course, Michael and Kressant have... 4? 5? kids, and they've outgrown their apartment, so apparently now they're looking at building their own house on the land.

As for the camo/military thing - it's less out of place in the South, to be sure, and yes, military supply stores are fairly common, but also I think it's partly playing dress-up, particularly for the guys. I think it's half-and-half convenience and frivolity.

EDIT: And while it's probably perpetuated by the "manly" nonsense spewing from VF, I would actually attribute it more to Southern culture than fundie culture. Doesn't mean that all Southern guys might not gravitate to it because it's what's "cool," to some extent.

Wow. "Hi, nice to meet......errrrrr....promise to marry...you." :roll:

Yeah, I don't get why they can't at least hold hands!? Didn't Dorothy and Noah hold hands CONSTANTLY during their minute long courtship? Is it up to the brides family to decide how affectionate they should be during courting/engagement? Man these people are weird.

Also, as far as how the K's and M's got their families together, I *think* I remember someone on this site mentioning that they met up at one of the Love the Church Conferences in NC last February or something and I think the M's invited the K girls to their May "Fashion Show" thing. My guess is Cleve and Lise started their "family" courtship during these events. I know the M's went to SC to visit the K's around 4th of July. God love these open blogs!!

About the camo: It is popular in some circles, particularly more redneck ones. My 7yo son has a pair of camo pants, but then he has a Transformer costume and a Darth Vader mask as well. I consider them 'dress up' clothing, like the boy equivalent of tutus and princess gowns. He wears them to school, but my daughter has been known to go to preschool with a tutu skirt over her jeans.

Archived