IGNORED

Oh Cleve dear, really??

SimplyMe

So, does Cleve live in the "apartment" which is his parents attic? I am having figuring out the living arrangments here. I though Cleve and another bro had a real apartment not connected to the family?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Young child have no place chaperoning two adults approaching 30. In fact, no one has any place chaperoning two adults approaching 30. It's not natural, and the gleeful way they talk about it makes me want to take about 10 big steps the hell back. Seriously. If they aren't mature enough to be alone together now, then they have no damn business getting married. It's disturbing, and infantile. And the handshaking picture? Yeah, no. I mean come the hell on. You people want to get married, so you shake on it? While surrounded by umpteen dozen people? Just no.

I was married very young, (much younger than Cleve and Lise) and I am here to tell you that if my husband had approached me regarding marriage, while being followed by a dozen or so of his camera carrying nearest and dearest, I would have promptly told him to give me a call when he grew the eff up.

This is meant as encouragement for stay at home daughters who are worried that they are past their shelf life. The comment actually angers me because it is meant to keep single women from questioning their lifestyle.

For some of these women, it must be very discouraging to approach or pass thirty without a potential suitor. They probably look at non Christian women in happy marriages and begin to wonder if they've been sold a bunch of hooey from their fellow fundies.

Those families can now point to this couple and say, "See, she waited and true love found her. You can to. Just be patient."

I get what you're saying, and I agree that it's just terrible, but I don't think the caption was written as an encouragement to other families. I'm pretty sure Adeline is using it as encouragement for herself. I imagine it must make her nervous that her sister, who is only one year older than her, is married with a baby already. Yes, the root problem is just the same as you described, but the way you phrased it implies that it was a calculated statement for the blog, which I don't think is the case.

So, does Cleve live in the "apartment" which is his parents attic? I am having figuring out the living arrangments here. I though Cleve and another bro had a real apartment not connected to the family?

clibby, there's some discussion about the living arrangements in the Double Wedding thread, particularly here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3430&p=79054&hilit=cleve#p79054

Can someone explain what Confederate Jasmine is? I have never heard of this.

It's another, fairly common name for star jasmine, just a flowering vine. It's not a real jasmine, actually. It used to grow in the most random places in Florida when I was young, and smells very good.

I mean, I know the Mortons have a fondness for the Confederacy, but they're not renaming plants in this case. :happy-smileyflower:

I get what you're saying, and I agree that it's just terrible, but I don't think the caption was written as an encouragement to other families. I'm pretty sure Adeline is using it as encouragement for herself. I imagine it must make her nervous that her sister, who is only one year older than her, is married with a baby already. Yes, the root problem is just the same as you described, but the way you phrased it implies that it was a calculated statement for the blog, which I don't think is the case.

clibby, there's some discussion about the living arrangements in the Double Wedding thread, particularly here: http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... eve#p79054

It's another, fairly common name for star jasmine, just a flowering vine. It's not a real jasmine, actually. It used to grow in the most random places in Florida when I was young, and smells very good.

I mean, I know the Mortons have a fondness for the Confederacy, but they're not renaming plants in this case. :happy-smileyflower:

Thanks for the living arrangements post. You know, Daddy Morton must make a lot of money as a farmer if they can afford all these nice "starter "houses/apartments, finished barn/ball room, new house for Michael, etc...

Thanks for the living arrangements post. You know, Daddy Morton must make a lot of money as a farmer if they can afford all these nice "starter "houses/apartments, finished barn/ball room, new house for Michael, etc...

The married guys have a construction business that they started before any of them were courting. I think they've mentioned paying into the family account to build the houses before they married. Something along those lines.

clibby, there's some discussion about the living arrangements in the Double Wedding thread, particularly here: http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... eve#p79054

I agree. I should have worded that so it didn't sound as if I thought she was making a calculated statement. She probably wasn't.

Wow, that's quite a crowd. Good thing she didn't say no!

I was thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pJKo2-6sdo LOL!!!

Oh yeah, and this proposal looks soooo staged. Like it was done more for putting on a show than an actual sweet surprise for Lise (which makes me mad). I like how Addie got another table, just so she could sit and take photos of the couple... who couldn't even be alone, they had to babysit? Wtf?

I am not one who thinks proposals have to be all romance and flowers. But, a hand-shake and chaperons? Not a marriage I'd be looking forward to, that's for sure.

The blog is mortonclanthree.blogspot.com and is complete with many photos of the happy couple. I think Lise is very pretty; can't imagine why she wasn't snapped up much sooner. Or why he hasn't courted anyone by now. Maybe he was not "released" by his father until recently.

Saturday afternoon, he gave her a beautiful red rose that felt like velvet, and they drove to the lovely spot (with me in the back as a delighted chaperone/photograher, and with sweet Gracia, too!). He'd picked out a roof top garden with a white pergola,

I am so glad I didn't have a chaperone along when my DH asked me to marry him. It has to be less romantic having another along on such a personal occasion, that should be private. Not that it always has to be private, like people who've gotten engaged at sports' games, etc. but no damn chaperone, photographer or not.

Not that it always has to be private, like people who've gotten engaged at sports' games, etc. but no damn chaperone, photographer or not.

LOL, I hadn't seen the youtube video yet when I wrote that.

But Lise's smile seems a bit fake as well. Compared with the body language between Darth and Noah immediately post-engagement it's night and day. I'm hoping that maybe they're just private people and flustered by the cameras and the people.

How did they get 60 or so grown adults to show up for an "impromptu" engagement party in the middle of the day like that? She says its her fellow church members. Do they not have jobs or anything else to do?

Seems odd.

Does anyone else get annoyed by the writing of that blog? It's like Sense and Sensibility without the good stuff. It's irritating. Is she like 12?

Thoughts:

Oh, Adeline. Cringe. The 'Chinese' bit is just awful. The willful ignorance, I swear.

Looks like Lise's father wears bowties just like Cleve.

The four-tables-in-a-square thing is cute, but I feel bad for the grandchildren, spread out amongst three kid's tables like that. What fun is that? On the other hand, most of these kids see each other every day and maybe they're sick of each other.

Cleve has his hand on Lise's HEAD while giving a speech? WTF?

Darth, Rachel and Kressant always look so happy. However... on one of the old videos that I can't find now, I think of Kressant's wedding, you see Darth in the background, moaning and twittering over twoo wuv in the highest, most obnoxious voice ever. I don't know if that was her natural voice, though, because Katie has such a husky voice. Anyway, occasionally I'll see a pic of Darth and wonder, if I heard her speak, if I would want to throttle her. This is probably not fair of me, as we cannot help our voices. Also it has nothing to do with their happiness, so I don't know where I'm going with this tangent.

Katie is there, and she is still quite pregnant (as of then, which was about a month ago). I wouldn't be surprised if she had the kid since then.

The way the dinner, etc, was planned makes me wonder if the engagement was just a ceremonial gesture, rather than the more traditional "surprise" we're all familiar with. The whole thing is... weird.

Thoughts:

Oh, Adeline. Cringe. The 'Chinese' bit is just awful. The willful ignorance, I swear.

I know.

It wouldn't be highly corney [sic], it's what we heathens call "racist."

Good gravy, Lise is certainly hanging onto that rose, isn't she!? I am still trying to gather what her sense of style is. That frock she wore to get engaged in (and I think I read somewhere that she knew she was getting engaged that day) seriously looks like a maternity dress. And not a cute one.

I will say her engagement ring is gorgeous. I love the simple setting and oval shape. Good job Cleve. I still sort of feel like this is definitely a match that "outside the bubble" would never in a million years happen but oh well.

**Anyone else wonder what sort of songs these people sing at all of these functions? Are they just straight up psalms and hymns or are they other types of music? I know Cleve plays the guitar a lot so I'm thinking there's gotta be a broader range of music that just church songs. Where's Knight when you need him!!

Thoughts:

Looks like Lise's father wears bowties just like Cleve.

The four-tables-in-a-square thing is cute, but I feel bad for the grandchildren, spread out amongst three kid's tables like that. What fun is that? On the other hand, most of these kids see each other every day and maybe they're sick of each other.

Cleve has his hand on Lise's HEAD while giving a speech? WTF?

Darth, Rachel and Kressant always look so happy. However... on one of the old videos that I can't find now, I think of Kressant's wedding, you see Darth in the background, moaning and twittering over twoo wuv in the highest, most obnoxious voice ever. I don't know if that was her natural voice, though, because Katie has such a husky voice. Anyway, occasionally I'll see a pic of Darth and wonder, if I heard her speak, if I would want to throttle her. This is probably not fair of me, as we cannot help our voices. Also it has nothing to do with their happiness, so I don't know where I'm going with this tangent.

Katie is there, and she is still quite pregnant (as of then, which was about a month ago). I wouldn't be surprised if she had the kid since then.

The way the dinner, etc, was planned makes me wonder if the engagement was just a ceremonial gesture, rather than the more traditional "surprise" we're all familiar with. The whole thing is... weird.

The Chinese bit and the hand on her head put me off(more than usual). Sigh,I already told her about the Confederate flag post,why doesn't she think before she posts? :naughty:

Back in the Pleistocene late sixties, when I first started dating, maintaining one's virginity was considered a life-and-death matter for nice little Italian Catholic girls like me. And yet my wild 'n' crazy parents let me go out on dates, unchaperoned, and actually trusted me to keep my pants on.

Sheesh. This engaged-via-handshake-with-scores-of-chaperones thing makes me ill.

...or I could say "Pren-Pren and Chan-Chan!!" in a high pitched, exaggerated Chinese accent to be amusing, but I will refrain, as it would be highly corney.

I wouldn't blame the Chinese for giving these people silly nicknames as if they were creatures in a zoo.

No offense to the Christians here, but

God's people are such happy people!

is so fucking condescending to those of us who are not "God's people" in their eyes. Screw 'em all.

Back in the Pleistocene late sixties, when I first started dating, maintaining one's virginity was considered a life-and-death matter for nice little Italian Catholic girls like me. And yet my wild 'n' crazy parents let me go out on dates, unchaperoned, and actually trusted me to keep my pants on.

Sheesh. This engaged-via-handshake-with-scores-of-chaperones thing makes me ill.

If there's only 99 witnesses, then who's to say they didn't bleep each other doggie style right then and there? Ya better have 100 witnesses to be ABSOLUTELY SURE.

Archived