IGNORED

Blast from the Past ... Chelsea Pomeroy

danvillebelle

20 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

We had three or four dresses that were very similar to this that my older daughter absolutely loved.  She was too small for the store so I had to adjust patterns and make them.

image.png.ebb1eefcda8621e20bbdc51f3a59bda7.png

All weddings we attended in the late  1980’s ( including our own)! and early 1990’s included a plethora of dresses similar to this one all from Laura Ashley!!

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

I ended up with a Laura Ashley comforter during college and I loved it. It was pink and white striped on one side and had big pink roses all over the other side. It totally fit my otherwise "lazy goth" aesthetic. Mmmmhmm.

I had the same comforter when I was in my 20s! I loved it and would buy it again if it were still being manufactured, 

• Love 1

On 8/17/2021 at 12:13 PM, Hane said:

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Kate Greenaway dresses? They were inspired by her Victorian-era children’s book illustrations and we’re popular in the late ‘50s and early ‘60s. My little sister and I had matching ones with bell sleeves and a big floofy skirt and I freaking *loved* them.

Yes! I remember those dresses! Boy, does this bring back memories. I wish my mom had saved some so I could put my granddaughters in them for fun. They're too young yet to hate me for it.😀  I just loved some of those dresses. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

I remember drooling over the Gunne Sax/Jessica McClintock prom dresses in Seventeen magazine in the early/mid 80's.

My wedding dress was Jessica McClintock (1992).  I have no regrets.  I was very into Victorian/antique EVERYTHING at the time and adored my dress.

I liked reading Seventeen magazines in the mid-late 70's, but never cared about the prom editions. I loved looking at the fall back-to-school clothes and the beautiful sweaters, none of which I could afford.   I didn't attend my high school proms because even back then I hated dressing up that much.  I'm the same way many years later. I still hate fancy clothes and try very hard to avoid attending weddings in particular.  

I have a friend who still complains bitterly that her younger sister got to wear a Gunne Sax dress to her prom while my friend (the older sister)  had to wear a prom dress her mom made to the prom.  Not kidding, she's still bitter about it.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

58 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I liked reading Seventeen magazines in the mid-late 70's, but never cared about the prom editions. I loved looking at the fall back-to-school clothes and the beautiful sweaters, none of which I could afford.   I didn't attend my high school proms because even back then I hated dressing up that much.  I'm the same way many years later. I still hate fancy clothes and try very hard to avoid attending weddings in particular.  

I have a friend who still complains bitterly that her younger sister got to wear a Gunne Sax dress to her prom while my friend (the older sister)  had to wear a prom dress her mom made to the prom.  Not kidding, she's still bitter about it.

My mom made the top of my outfit for prom. The bottom was a poofy lace black skirt I found at a discount store. So she made a top to go with it. It was the year 2000 and two piece dresses with a poofy skirt were in. If you watch the movie “10 things I hate about you” Bianca wears the style to prom. It was very inexpensive. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/17/2021 at 3:42 PM, Coconut Flan said:

We had three or four dresses that were very similar to this that my older daughter absolutely loved.  She was too small for the store so I had to adjust patterns and make them.

image.png.ebb1eefcda8621e20bbdc51f3a59bda7.png

Everybody please tell me you wore white or cream hose with this type of dress…with basic dark pumps of course. That ensemble, along with a fresh perm, made me feel like I was SOMETHING ELSE Thankyouverymuch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

7 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Change the print of that dress to an ivory background with a floral in pinks and peaches with sage green foliage, and you've basically got my bridesmaid's dresses. 😅

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Everybody please tell me you wore white or cream hose with this type of dress…with basic dark pumps of course. That ensemble, along with a fresh perm, made me feel like I was SOMETHING ELSE Thankyouverymuch. 

I wore that dress with exactly the typical white hose and with black Mary Janes to my kindergarten pictures in the late 90s! My hair was naturally very curly, so no perm needed. My mom told me I looked like a “little woman” and was so proud that she got me to agree to a dress because at the time I only wanted to wear jeans and Barney T-shirts. 😂

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

@usmcmom but of course. What else would you wear? There was this type of black patent leather Mary Jane for little girls where the strap could be pushed to the back, so you were actually wearing ‘grown up’ dress shoes, and I was SO proud that I had them. Dark floral dresses would also have big white or cream colored lace collars. I remember my mom wearing something like that to work in the late 80s/early 90s, and she was a computer programmer, not a stereotypically female job where you might expect women to look a certain way. It was just what you wore culturally. I have come to realize from you all though that the Pomeroys are not wearing clothes of their culture, they are wearing clothes from their mothers really quite odd mind.

I am now realizing I can’t wear anything but orthotic shoes /shoes that will fit orthotics in them, which is kind of quite depressing. The ones I ordered last night had some enthusiastic reviews from people who said that their moms, aged 93 and 101, loved them. I’m 37. Okay then.

Edited by anachronistic
Clarifying a point
  • Haha 3
  • Love 15

On 8/16/2021 at 4:16 PM, WiseGirl said:

Well this is certainly a fashion choice...the control over the children to get them to dress this way is concerning. I feel for the older girls they seem to be at the ages where they should be allowed to pick their own clothes and find out what clothing style they like, you know taking those baby steps to independence.  Nope, not liking the control. 

Even the crazy style Chelsea forces her girls to adopt aside, her faith seems extremely strict when it comes to clothing rules for females. I only use light make-up myself and find it optional for any woman (as in, I’d not judge someone who never wants to wear it) but even though I don’t heavily rely on lipstick, mascara, etc. I find the idea to be forbidden from wearing it uncomfortable. There are days I just feel my pale cheeks need some color in order for me to feel my best, some days I want to hide under eye circles… and if I imagine special occasions without the fun of looking my very best for photos, I’d feel a bit sad. Now, if someone else wants to go completely make-up-free, all power to them. But that’s a choice every woman should make for herself and no one else has the right to interfere. 
Then, getting one’s hair cut is not only fun, it’s also healthy for the hair. During the pandemic, I didn’t go to my hairdresser for over a year and was so annoyed by my split ends (I didn’t want to cut them myself or have a fried cut the, though). When I went to get my first hair cut after around one and a half years a few months back, I felt so good and fresh somehow. I can’t imagine living in a religious community that forbids any and all hair cuts.
The skirts only rule is another topic I don’t like, though to be very honest, I’d personally would rather only wear skirts but be allowed makeup and haircuts. Still, my point is that there’s far too much control over what women wear and do with their bodies.
Are all Pentecostals churches like his, or are the Pomeroys in some sort of Pentecostal cult? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

26 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

Are all Pentecostals churches like his, or are the Pomeroys in some sort of Pentecostal cult? 

I think most or all UPC churches are like that.  There are other denominations that fall under the general umbrella of "Pentecostal" in beliefs, though, that aren't.  The Assemblies of God comes to mind.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I’m not a fan of the strict apostolic Pentecostal clothing rules. They are far worse than other fundies. Usually you have to wear a sleeve to your elbow. So you can’t even wear a short sleeved shirt. Of course it has to have a high neck. Your skirt must go past your knees. Your hair can’t be cut. No make up. No jewelry. No ear piercing. That’s why so many have their own clothing boutiques. Because it’s so hard to find clothing to adhere to all those strict rules. 

• Upvote 7

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m not a fan of the strict apostolic Pentecostal clothing rules. They are far worse than other fundies. Usually you have to wear a sleeve to your elbow. So you can’t even wear a short sleeved shirt. Of course it has to have a high neck. Your skirt must go past your knees. Your hair can’t be cut. No make up. No jewelry. No ear piercing. That’s why so many have their own clothing boutiques. Because it’s so hard to find clothing to adhere to all those strict rules. 

Not cutting my hair would be horrible. My hair is heavy and I get headaches if it gets too long. I wonder how many pentecostal women have chronic headaches. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Not cutting my hair would be horrible. My hair is heavy and I get headaches if it gets too long. I wonder how many pentecostal women have chronic headaches. 

Yes I agree. I think that would be worse than any of the clothing rules for me. I have very thick hair that grows quickly. My hair would be so long and unruly and hot in the summer. I'm so happy when I go for a haircut and my stylist really thins out my hair. It's so lovely and light after that. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Not all Pentecostal churches are like hers. I attended Assemblies of God churches when I was a child. It was acceptable to wear pants, wear makeup, and cut hair. My grandma would have been on the phone all day gossiping if JRod showed up at her church with her clown makeup and tight skirts though.

Pentecostals and Charismatics believe in speaking in tongues. The other beliefs vary depending on the denomination.

I have really thick hair. I went as long as I could without a haircut during the pandemic. It was too much hair to deal with and too heavy to wear up. The ends looked terrible. My husband eventually cut it for me and from then I went to a hair stylist in order to preserve our marriage every several months after that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Change the print of that dress to an ivory background with a floral in pinks and peaches with sage green foliage, and you've basically got my bridesmaid's dresses. 😅

Are you my baby sister, who got married in 1991?

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, anachronistic said:

@usmcmom but of course. What else would you wear? There was this type of black patent leather Mary Jane for little girls where the strap could be pushed to the back, so you were actually wearing ‘grown up’ dress shoes, and I was SO proud that I had them. Dark floral dresses would also have big white or cream colored lace collars. I remember my mom wearing something like that to work in the late 80s/early 90s, and she was a computer programmer, not a stereotypically female job where you might expect women to look a certain way. It was just what you wore culturally. I have come to realize from you all though that the Pomeroys are not wearing clothes of their culture, they are wearing clothes from their mothers really quite odd mind.

I am now realizing I can’t wear anything but orthotic shoes /shoes that will fit orthotics in them, which is kind of quite depressing. The ones I ordered last night had some enthusiastic reviews from people who said that their moms, aged 93 and 101, loved them. I’m 37. Okay then.

I’ve worn orthotics for years, and while there isn’t much in the way of a real dress shoe that I like, I make do with orthotic sandals in the summer and boots or booties in the winter with clog-like stuff for in between. Most are Naot but there are other brands that will show up in a Google search. And sneakers/running shoes often will take an orthotic. Don’t get depressed yet. You may well find shoes to please your non-elderly taste. (They will likely be pricey, however. )

• I Agree 1

On 8/14/2021 at 2:09 AM, Carrots said:

I have often wondered which would be worst; fundie protestant (Rod- independent baptist style), fundie catholic or fundie mormonism 🤔 If I had to choose between those worlds which would be at the bottom.

The Catholics usually have better music. And wine.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

She’s gone private again.

Not before blocking anyone that tried to follow her. It seems she only went public for that reason.

• Eyeroll 5

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I’ve worn orthotics for years, and while there isn’t much in the way of a real dress shoe that I like, I make do with orthotic sandals in the summer and boots or booties in the winter with clog-like stuff for in between. Most are Naot but there are other brands that will show up in a Google search. And sneakers/running shoes often will take an orthotic. Don’t get depressed yet. You may well find shoes to please your non-elderly taste. (They will likely be pricey, however. )

I've always thought Naot mary janes gave off a great indie vibe and good god are they comfortable. I need another pair. Keens are nice but definitely a step down.

@Bastet I got my new ones from OrthoFeet, because they were having a sale. I got sandals from them this summer that worked out well, although I haven’t been walking long distances. I was just disappointed to be grouped with 100 year olds, though I know that is ageist as heck.

I googled ‘Pentecostal fashion’ to see what popped up and if this site is any indication, Pentecostals are judgy as anything. https://apostolicclothing.com/blogs/news/what-not-to-wear-to-a-wedding-party-1

Then the dainty Jewels people come up, and some other similar sites. I’m learning a lot on Reddit, too. It’s fascinating to see how different cultures choose to govern their minions through dress. A lot of the stuff on these sites I find quite pretty. Florals and old fashioned stuff is a bit in style now, anyway, I think. (Based on what I saw at Old Navy and Target this spring.) I got a loose floral dress at Old Navy I like a lot, which is knee length, but some of the stuff really had Little House on the Prairie vibes, like floor length dresses.

I am now waiting for Old Navy to sell masks again. I liked their seasonal and patterned ones much better than the surgical kind I get given at every doctors appointment.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

Then the dainty Jewels people come up, and some other similar sites. I’m learning a lot on Reddit, too. It’s fascinating to see how different cultures choose to govern their minions through dress. A lot of the stuff on these sites I find quite pretty. Florals and old fashioned stuff is a bit in style now, anyway, I think. (Based on what I saw at Old Navy and Target this spring.) I got a loose floral dress at Old Navy I like a lot, which is knee length, but some of the stuff really had Little House on the Prairie vibes, like floor length dresses.

I am now waiting for Old Navy to sell masks again. I liked their seasonal and patterned ones much better than the surgical kind I get given at every doctors appointment.

Speaking of Old Navy - as of TODAY they are putting all sizes together (no more plus department) AND the same price(!) at their stores and on their website. I've liked their clothes a lot lately (their plus jeans are my go-to and go on sale fairly often) but I have always had to order online. I might go this weekend and try on a bunch of stuff and buy something just in thanks for actually having stuff I can wear in the actual freaking store finally. And not all shoved into the "fat corner" either, just mixed in with the other sizes of the same style, so it's easy to find and you don't have to remember what you were looking for and hope they might possibly have it in plus. 

I also like their masks, but the Gap ones are a little nicer, they have a thin nose wire. My favorite are the Bespoke ones from Kohls, however. Cute patterns, sturdy nose wire, adjustable ear loops! The cutest ones are online though, the store near me never has the good patterns. Looks like all they've got left are the patriotic ones though, but they are on sale for 99 cents!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 8/16/2021 at 4:16 PM, postscript said:

Don’t forget visiting the pumpkin patch (in pumpkin-themed dresses), going to a lobster restaurant (in lobster-themed dresses), and posing for pictures, er, running a lemonade stand (in lemon-themed dresses, complete with lemon-shaped purses). 

Not even gonna lie, I would have done both of these! 😄

On 8/17/2021 at 1:55 PM, mango_fandango said:

It’s interesting how two of the girls are always referred to as Mary Grace and Jane Claire, whilst the other two are Abigail and Charlotte (ie two names/one name). 
Charlotte reminds me a little of Mary Grace looks-wise. 

I think Mary and Jane are both plain, short names that go well with a middle name. Abilgail and Charlotte sound longer and more 'complete' on their own (even though Charlotte has two syllables like Mary, it doesn't flow as easily). 

On 8/19/2021 at 11:55 AM, Ali said:

Not all Pentecostal churches are like hers. I attended Assemblies of God churches when I was a child. It was acceptable to wear pants, wear makeup, and cut hair. My grandma would have been on the phone all day gossiping if JRod showed up at her church with her clown makeup and tight skirts though.

The Assembly of God church by my high school seemd to not only allow but heartily encourage makeup. Lots and lots of makeup. I thought it was way too much, and I was a teenager in the 80s! 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic