IGNORED

Lou Sheldon has died

47of74

George Takei mentioned this

Lou Sheldon, one of the leading homophobes of the past few decades, has died at age 85.

Sheldon died Friday in Southern California, his son-in-law James Lafferty told The Orange County Register. Lafferty said the cause of death was “a long-standing condition” but did not elaborate.

Sheldon, originally a Presbyterian minister and later an Anglican clergyman, founded the Traditional Values Coalition in 1980 “to spread a ‘moral code and behavior based upon the Old and New Testaments’ and to warn Americans of the rising ‘gay threat,’” according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, a progressive watchdog organization that designated the coalition a hate group.

“Sheldon, a protégé of Christian Right evangelist Pat Robertson, launched TVC in Anaheim, California, before moving its headquarters to Washington, D.C.,” the SPLC notes. “His anti-LGBT rhetoric — calling homosexuality a ‘deathstyle;’ claiming child molestation is the real ‘homosexual agenda;’ suggesting AIDS victims should be forced into leper-like colonies — pushed TVC to the forefront of the battle against equal rights in the 1990s.”

I hope you’ll all forgive me if I do not prostrate myself with grief over this. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

Good riddance, but it sounds as though the son followed in his father's footsteps. 

• Upvote 3