IGNORED

Trump 46: Chief Fuckopotamus And #BunkerBitch

GreyhoundFan

"Why Trump Is Right To Worry About That Glass of Water"

Spoiler

What to call it—“Photo-oops”? “Glass of Watergate?”

Whatever the label, when the videos appeared on Saturday of President Trump shuffling down that ramp at West Point, a general walking attentively by his side, and using two hands to guide a water glass to his lips, the response on liberal Twitter threatened to deplete America’s Strategic Schadenfreude Reserve.

The same man who ran for office by mocking the height and stamina of his rivals, who celebrates dominance as the cardinal virtue of leadership, whose 2016 campaign compiled similar slips by Hillary Clinton into a dark TV commercial accusing her of lacking the strength to serve as president, found himself looking like a longtime resident of Shady Grove Home For the Weary.

The images led to some elaborate online speculations and diagnoses, and for Trump, the attention clearly struck a nerve. Why else would the president take to Twitter to offer the excuse that the ramp was “very slippery” (a claim that a New York Times story labeled highly dubious)?

He might well be revealing his own insecurities. But he’s also right about one important thing: just how damaging such a picture of weakness can be. It may sound trivial, and it’s often unfair, but when a modern president, or even a candidate, exhibits physical weakness, it comes with a political cost.

It helped sink President Gerald Ford—perhaps the most athletic of our recent presidents; football star at the University of Michigan, skilled skier. But a couple of stumbles down the steps of Air Force One, a tumble on the ski slopes, and the relentless mockery of Chevy Chase on “Saturday Night Live” cemented a new image of Ford that stuck: A fumbling character barely able to put one foot in front of the other.

After him came President Jimmy Carter, who, in the midst of declining polls and a looming primary challenge from Ted Kennedy, sought to demonstrate his energy by entering a challenging six-mile race in the Catoctin Mountains in mid-September, 1979. Midway through the race, he all but collapsed into the arms of a Secret Service agent; pictures of the open-mouthed, utterly drained Carter became the symbol of an exhausted presidency.

Or think back to George H.W. Bush, whose appetite for recreation was on frequent display on golf courses, tennis courts and the water. But on January 8, 1992, in the middle of a state dinner in Japan, was struck by a flu bug and vomited. It became grist for the “SNL” mill, and helped underline the age difference between Bush and the much-younger Bill Clinton.

Without overstating the impact of these moments, it’s interesting to note that in each instance, the president lost his next election. And in 2016, so did challenger Hillary Clinton, whose coughing fits and use of back pillows became tropes in conservative media, fueling rumors circulated by the National Enquirer and others that she was virtually at death’s door.

We have, of course, had presidents hampered by genuine disability—none of whom suffered any kind of political damage for it. Franklin Roosevelt was struck by polio in August of 1921, leaving him unable to walk under his own power. His political career seemed doomed. But he was able to demonstrate enough mobility to maneuver himself to the rostrum of the Democratic convention in 1924 to put Al Smith’s name in nomination, and to demonstrate energy in other ways (he flew to Chicago in 1932 to accept the presidential nomination in person—a political first for a major party nominee). And while FDR’s condition was well known to the public, he was protected by a sympathetic press from any photographic evidence of his disability.

In the television age, John F. Kennedy provides a particularly illuminating case study. He was the living symbol of the “new generation” of leaders, the war hero who promised to “get America moving again,” the avatar of “vigor” who sponsored 50-mile hikes and whose family was associated with hardy outdoor pursuits like sailing, tennis and backyard football games. In reality JFK was afflicted by all manner of ills—Addison’s disease, colitis, ulcers, urinary tract infection and a back that kept him in chronic pain. But Kennedy and his enablers knew that any visible demonstration of physical weakness would undercut a major source of his appeal. (His doctors helped shield Kennedy’s condition from the press.)

Is this simply a demonstration of how the image has replaced reality in modern days? The preoccupation with physical vigor certainly isn’t new; in flogging his strength and stamina, Trump is drawing on a public fixation that has been part of our politics since, literally, the beginning. Of course George Washington would be our first president; he not only commanded the winning army, but was one of the tallest of public figures at the time. The U.S. has consistently turned to military heroes as presidential nominees, from Andrew Jackson to Zachary Taylor to Ulysses Grant to Benjamin Harrison to Theodore Roosevelt to Dwight Eisenhower to JFK. (It doesn’t always work, of course, or John Kerry, a tall military vet, pilot and impressive athlete, would have walked off with the 2004 election.)

The wish for vigor, surely, is in part a holdover from ancient times, when we wanted a leader who could fight off marauders from over the hill, but it still plays a role in the less rational part of our decision-making. Since 1900, two-thirds of presidential races have been won by the taller candidate; this may explain why, during the 2016 town hall debate, Donald Trump kept looming behind Clinton, as if to dramatize his stature.

Yes, it may seem absurd to argue that in a time of pandemic, economic catastrophe, demands for racial justice, and a president often at war with the norms of a Constitutional republic, that a couple of video images should really preoccupy either the president or his critics. But Donald Trump has a native instinct for knowing what matters—not what the pundits say, or what civics classes tell you, but what really sticks with people. And history says he’s right to be concerned about this one.

I hope the glass of water does sink him.

• I Agree 12

Just saw this from Vanity Fair. And this was before that Kluxer cop in Minnesota murdered a black man. 

As he headed into Memorial Day weekend, Donald Trumpcomplained that he was COVID-19’s biggest victim. “He was just in a fucking rage,” said a person who spoke with Trump late last week. “He was saying, ‘This is so unfair to me! Everything was going great. We were cruising to reelection!” Even as the death toll neared 100,000 and unemployment ranks swelled to over 38 million, Trump couldn’t see the pandemic as anything other than something that had happened to him. “The problem is he has no empathy,” the adviser said. Trump complained that he should have been warned about the virus sooner. “The intelligence community let me down!” he said.

Trump’s outburst reflected his growing frustration that, at this stage of the race, he is losing to Joe Biden. According to a Republican briefed on the campaign’s internal polls, Trump is trailing Biden by double digits among women over 50 in six swing states. “Trump knows the numbers are bad. It’s why he’s thrashing about,” the Republican said.

Even those closest to Trump have been privately worried the election is slipping away. According to a source, Melania Trump warned the president during their trip to India in February to take the virus response seriously. “He totally blew her off,” the source said. Melania later told people that Trump “only hears what he wants to hear and surrounds himself with yes-people and family,” the source added.

But with formerly solid-red Georgia in play, Trump has conceded to reality and is shaking up his campaign. This morning the campaign promoted former White House political director Bill Stepien to deputy campaign manager and named Stephanie Alexander,the Midwest political director, to the post of campaign chief of staff. The moves are being seen by many in Trumpworld as a demotion for Trump’s campaign manager, Brad Parscale, who has been at odds with Trump for weeks over his spending and the president’s deteriorating poll numbers. “Trump has been screaming at Brad, ‘How many fucking times do I have to tell you I don’t like this! Are you fucking stupid?’” said a Republican who’s overheard the conversations. (“Your source is wrong,” a campaign spokesperson said in an email. “The President never said that about Brad.”) “Once you get on the wrong side of the mountain with Trump, it’s hard to get back,” said a Trump friend.

Fucking stupid?  Has he looked in a goddamn mirror lately?  

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Reveal hidden contents

I hope it sinks him, too.  I am completely fine with his bigoted and superficial fan base holding something like this against him.  

But in a way I feel like a hypocrite as I don't think these things, by themselves (the water, the ramp) mean anything without an overriding issue with health.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I hope it sinks him, too.  I am completely fine with his bigoted and superficial fan base holding something like this against him.  

But in a way I feel like a hypocrite as I don't think these things, by themselves (the water, the ramp) mean anything without an overriding issue with health.

I think that individually, these don't mean much if anything. But looking at him as a whole? There's something desperately wrong. I originally thought (during the campaign) that he had dementia of some sort. If he wasn't rich and famous he'd be the old crazy paranoid guy who lives at the end of the street and that all the kids are afraid of. He's really declining, it seems. 

I wonder how long after leaving office it'll be before his kids and Melania start trying to get everything signed over to them permanently? 

If they were smart people I'd wonder if him running wasn't a bid by the sons to get control of the business. But they're not any smarter than he is, apparently.

• Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I think that individually, these don't mean much if anything. But looking at him as a whole? There's something desperately wrong. I originally thought (during the campaign) that he had dementia of some sort. If he wasn't rich and famous he'd be the old crazy paranoid guy who lives at the end of the street and that all the kids are afraid of. He's really declining, it seems. 

I wonder how long after leaving office it'll be before his kids and Melania start trying to get everything signed over to them permanently? 

If they were smart people I'd wonder if him running wasn't a bid by the sons to get control of the business. But they're not any smarter than he is, apparently.

I agree there is something very wrong with him.

What I was trying to say is that I feel like a hypocrite because I don't like the idea of physical infirmity being a reason to discount someone's ability in other areas.  There are SOOOO many reasons to discount Trump's ability to lead which he gives us by example that walking slowly down a ramp has nothing to do with it.

Again, not defending him as he deserves what he gets for taking such superficial cheap shots at others, just saying I wish people would focus on the truly evil he embodies that has nothing to do with his age or how agile he is.

Tbh when my plantar fasciitis is acting up I go pretty slowly down ramps without handrails, too, so I don't stumble.  That should be a non-issue.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Just out of curiosity - does anyone have any speculative thoughts on what his issues with his hand and water glass could be?  

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Tbh when my plantar fasciitis is acting up I go pretty slowly down ramps without handrails, too, so I don't stumble.  That should be a non-issue.

I think that right there shows one of the biggest problems there is with Trump - one that has lead to a huge, huge number of his other problems. He's unable to admit he's not perfect. 

If he'd responded to the criticism with "Oh, my knee was feeling irritated that day, old golf injury. Had to take it carefully." no one would have blinked an eye. (Well, if he'd been willing to say stuff like that from the beginning, anyway.) But instead it was "Oh, it was steep and slippery and I RAN the last 10 feet like the amazing athlete I am!"

How many of his stupid lies about small inconsequential stuff would have blown over quickly if he'd just said "Oops, I was mistaken." or "Hey, that wasn't the word I was really searching for there."? Instead he doubles down and tries to gaslight the entire planet and claims he didn't say or do things he's on tape saying and doing. 

Normal people say "Sorry, that wasn't the right thing to say, here's what I meant..."

He's a psycho, so instead he says "Lies! I didn't say exactly what I said right there!"

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

41 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Just out of curiosity - does anyone have any speculative thoughts on what his issues with his hand and water glass could be?  

Boarding the idle speculation bus here. I'm guessing either a small stroke, Parkinsons, or Lewy body dementia.

By the way, going down the ramp slowly is smart. I'm mobility challenged and if I'm walking, I do so very carefully, watching my feet and holding on to my canes and/or handrail because I can't get up from the ground if I fall. I only snicker at him because he's so nasty about everybody else's physical and mental issues, real or perceived.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

LOL:

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I only snicker at him because he's so nasty about everybody else's physical and mental issues, real or perceived.

ITA that's why it doesn't bother me with him.

Like when his dentures are clearly slipping and the late night show hosts make fun of him....in most circumstances I'd find it appalling as I remember that happening to my grandma and we'd never call attention to it to embarrass her.  But since he rips everyone for superficial things all the time (whatever one thinks of Bloomberg mocking his height was irrelevant) I feel no sympathy for him.  

• I Agree 10

Trump being physically unwell does not automatically mean that he's unfit for office. But -- and this is a big but -- the cause of his physical impairments could mean he is unfit for office.

In that sense, although this whole 'watergait' thing doesn't have to say anything about his fitness, it also potentially could say a lot. Parkinson's could be (relatively!) innocuous in that sense, as could a (mild) stroke. But dementia? Or addiction to snorting ground up Adderal? They would be cause to invoke the 25th Amendment.

I agree that his physical image should not be the overriding thing about him that forms one's opinion of his fitness for office, but his physical state is an important issue that needs to be monitored. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

It will be nice to not see his name at the end of the AC Expressway:

• Upvote 6

He is truly insane:

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 8

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

It will be nice to not see his name at the end of the AC Expressway:

Now that would make a fantastic campaign ad. 

• Upvote 8

I can’t find the clip from The Young Turks but apparently Trump says he has done more for the African Americans than him. 
If he means setting the country back a few hundred years and emboldening the kkk then yea he is right 

ETA: I so hate when he says “The Blacks” or “The African Americans” as if all people of color are one unit. 

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 7

10 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

ITA that's why it doesn't bother me with him.

Like when his dentures are clearly slipping and the late night show hosts make fun of him....in most circumstances I'd find it appalling as I remember that happening to my grandma and we'd never call attention to it to embarrass her.  But since he rips everyone for superficial things all the time (whatever one thinks of Bloomberg mocking his height was irrelevant) I feel no sympathy for him.  

:my bold above:

@HerNameIsBuffy.  But, but, Trump said he doesn't wear dentures, OR a partial, AND his doctor said so too!  Was it lie?  Oh my!

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2018/01/17/5-things-we-learned-about-trump-from-his-medical-checkup

Teeth ?

Trump has healthy teeth and gums, and doesn’t wear a partial or dentures. An episode last month when Trump slurred some words on national TV led to speculation that it could have been caused by slipping dentures.

Edited by ALM7
ETA word
  • Thank You 6

18 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

does anyone have any speculative thoughts on what his issues with his hand and water glass could be?  

Speculation bus....Parkinson's based upon the baby/shuffling steps and using two hands to hold the water glass, previously using his left hand to steady a bottle of water.  Something neurological.

Also Fuckapotomus is worried about this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/politics/trump-bolton-coronavirus/index.html

• Upvote 7

55 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Speculation bus....Parkinson's based upon the baby/shuffling steps and using two hands to hold the water glass, previously using his left hand to steady a bottle of water.  Something neurological.

I am also a passenger on this bus.  

I cared for my MIL when she was dying of Lewy Body Dementia.  In hindsight, she had the stiff gait, the weird standing position and the trouble holding things and eating/drinking more than a year before her eventual swift decline.  LBD often presents with Parkinsonian traits.  She also could not straighten her legs in bed, her knees were always bent up.

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 7

There’s a whole spectrum of dementia and dementia like disorders.  I believe from reading I’ve done at one point or another that Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  But they’re both in that spectrum.  

and as someone who came of age during the Regan administration, it became clear after he left office that he had Alzheimer’s and probably didn’t remember things (Iran Contra).  I keep thinking of that re Trump.  And like Reagan thise around him are probably taking advantage of it (namely his kids and son in law)

• Upvote 10

Another good one from the Lincoln Project:

• Thank You 8
  • Love 3

Trump's father died of Alzheimers, didn't he? I believe it runs in families (something that terrifies me - one of my grandmothers had it).

I have no doubt whatsoever that he's got something neurological going on, on top of having some major personality disorders.

• Upvote 11

This is a great video about one of twitler's favorite things -- fake victory laps:

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic