IGNORED

6 year old arrested at school for throwing a tantrum

Beermeet

I didn't see this topic, I checked around a bit. Sorry if it's being discussed elsewhere.  If it is, please point me there.

September of last year, A 6 year old baby girl was arrested at school after throwing a temper tantrum.  As children do.  Cuffed And Stuffed by a large male cop. She was calm by the time the cops were called. Why were the cops called?  Why did no one at that school stop this or even comfort her? Why did this happen without her guardian being notified prior? Why did this happen at all?  I'm in tears. Sweet baby, I'm so sorry they did this to you. It's a hard watch but important to be informed this happened. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/us/orlando-6-year-old-arrested.html

Edited by Beermeet
  • Upvote 1
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 4

55 minutes ago, CrazyMumma said:

Literally can't believe the cops didn't simply leave.  This is abuse

Agreed. I can't believe they were called to begin with, but then to turn up and arrest a 6yo, seriously?  I take it there is no minimum age of criminal responsibility there?

• Upvote 4

OMFGWTH!  She is 6 years old!  Ok, yeah, she had a tantrum and kicked an adult and should be punished.  But there are better non abusive ways of disciplining a young  child than handcuffing her and taking her to jail.  What's wrong with these people?

• I Agree 5

We do all know that the arresting officer has been fired? 

A more detailed version of the story here:  

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida/2020/02/25/body-camera-video-shows-6-year-old-orlando-girl-arrested-at-school/

Both the arresting officer and the child are PoC.  I doubt the little girl is autistic though. 

In this case the officer seemed to get a ugly kick out of arresting small children, but Florida does not have a minimum age for arrest.  That is just plain wrong.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Thank You 5

@Palimpsest TY, I forgot to mention that. I was upset and just wanted this out there.  I learned about this on Shawn King's FB page. He rightfully called out the black cop and teacher.  The whole thing is beyond disturbing.  

Shawn had also mentioned this cop has a conviction of child abuse.  Personally,  I think that should disqualify him from being a cop. 

• I Agree 5