• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyhoundFan

• fraurosena

• smittykins

• thoughtful

20191221_jones1.JPG.8f9fa5128013da7a10a7df7c94a92202.JPG

Clay Jones' blog post that goes with this cartoon is good. I especially love the shade thrown at Tulsi:

Spoiler

They say Jesus loves everyone, but for Donald Trump, he may make an exception.

Christianity Today is a periodical started by Reverand Billy Graham way back in the 1950s. The Washington Post calls it “evangelicalism’s flagship magazine” and The New York Times describes it as a “mainstream evangelical magazine”.

The magazine usually refrains from commenting on politics (so they say), but in 1998 during the Clinton impeachment drama, it wrote in an editorial, “unsavory dealings and immoral acts by the President and those close to him have rendered this administration morally unable to lead.”

In 1974, it asked a question in an editorial headline, “Should Nixon Resign,” that it didn’t answer. It wrote, “the constitutional process should be followed, and followed with dispatch. Either Richard Nixon should be removed from office by the Senate or he should be acquitted. If he is acquitted, the nation will have to wait out the term of a President whose ability to function has been seriously eroded.” That reads like it was written by Tulsi Gabbard.

Now, in an editorial written by the editor Mark Galli, the magazine that refused to call for Nixon’s impeachment and conviction (remember, we’re talking about RICHARD MILHOUS FUCKING NIXON here), has called for Donald Trump’s removal from office while describing him as “profoundly immoral.” Duh. What was your first clue?

Franklin Graham issued a statement saying his father had voted for Trump and that the magazine was “representing the elitist liberal wing of evangelicalism” and finds it “unfathomable” that Christianity Today would side with Democrats in a “totally partisan” attack on Trump.

Here’s the thing: The attacks on Trump being immoral are only partisan because Republicans refuse to acknowledge it. Donald Trump is a vile, racist, sexist grifter who steals from charities and has boasted about sexually assaulting women. He’s bragged about barging into the changing rooms so he can see teenage girls in the nude. He’s made fun of the handicapped and veterans. He’s bullies women and children on a daily basis. The guy even refuses to pet dogs. Donald Trump is more a collection of bad personality traits than he is a human being.

Republicans, and even more so, religious people, feel they can tolerate Donald Trump if it gets them what they want. What they want are very conservative judges that will basically enact a Christian version of Sharia law.

It’s like this: Christians feel it’s OK to sell out their principles and ethics in order to force the rest of us to live by the principles and ethics they’ve only pretended to have.

Donald Trump raged at the magazine in a couple of tweets saying, “A far left magazine, or very “progressive,” as some would call it, which has been doing poorly and hasn’t been involved with the Billy Graham family for many years, Christianity Today, knows nothing about reading a perfect transcript of a routine phone call and would rather have a Radical Left nonbeliever, who wants to take your religion & your guns, than Donald Trump as your President. No President has done more for the Evangelical community, and it’s not even close. You’ll not get anything from those Dems on stage. I won’t be reading ET again!”

I don’t know why he’s mad at Entertainment Tonight over what CT wrote, but nonetheless, his rage was another unwittingly self-revealing moment. Plus, he’s probably only read Christian magazines about as often as he’s been to church (you know, to eat his little crackers and learn about “two” Corinthians).

Evangelicals preach about morality. They warn of false prophets. They warn of the anti-Christ and to watch for signs of him as he will be disguised. I know this because I’ve done something Trump hasn’t and that is I’ve gone to church on Sundays (though it’s been a long time. But hell, I actually went to a private evangelical school for an entire year). And yet, leave it to evangelicals to jump into bed with the vilest person ever to make empty promises to the Christian community. Maybe they expected the anti-Christ not to be so obviously corrupt, immoral, and horrible. I wouldn’t have expected the anti-Christ to be an admitted sexual assaulter who ogles teenage girls either.

Evangelicals’ main argument against Bill Clinton was his lack of morals and yet, here they are today in bed with Donald Trump. It’s like they’ve forgotten who Donald Trump really is. Christians will often say they realize Trump isn’t perfect, but their part of the deal is that they have to say Trump is perfect. If Trump is criticized by anyone over anything, the critic immediately goes on their enemy list.

For example: Name the evangelicals who have criticized Trump separating families and caging children? Is part of the bargain that evangelicals have to turn a blind eye to child abuse, or do they actually support it? For that matter, is the evangelical community actually racist? It’s for evangelicals just like it is for other Trump supporters. Racism is not a deal-breaker.

As Christianity Today’s editor noted, there is no longer any way to avoid acknowledging Trump’s moral and temperamental unfitness for the presidency. Continuing to look the other way to get more judges and so forth is no longer worth the moral and spiritual costs to Christianity itself. Mark Galli told The Atlantic, “We’ve been a movement that has said the moral character of our leaders is really important.” He argues the association of evangelicals with Trump will do “horrific” damage to their ability to share the Gospel with others.

Exactly. How do you spread the gospel after you’ve spread the corruption and depravity of Donald Trump? It’s hard to preach against sleeping with whores when you are a whore. The evangelical community has whored itself out to Donald Trump.

If Jesus Christ himself returned to Earth and called for Trump’s removal from office, would evangelicals crucify him all over again after Trump calls him a fake-messiah (which will be made easier when they see Jesus isn’t white)?

For Trump, he is the “chosen one.” For evangelicals, they’ve agreed.

• Upvote 7

This is a good short film. I love who they show as Fredo.

• Upvote 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic