IGNORED

Bike ride adventures

47of74

20 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

What are those people floating on?  My eyesight is a little iffy today.  

Dragon boats. Yesterday was the Dubuque Dragon Boat Races.  I forgot they were having it until I got to the park which was packed.  They had groups of people racing on dragon boats. 

• Thank You 1

Today's bike ride around Dubuque. 

Got about 8.5 miles total.  One of the new mounts I've got is connected to a Velcro strap, which I wrapped around the front tube of my bike below the handlebars.  Except for one of the cables being in the way that turned out pretty well. 

• Thank You 1

This evening’s ride around town.  

Did a bit of a figure 8 around the Bee Branch this evening. Thinking of what I wanna do tomorrow for a ride. 

• Thank You 1

For today's ride I went up to Platteville and rode on the trail up to Belmont and back. 

It was a bit windy heading up to Belmont but when I was going back to Platteville the wind was at my back which made for a much easier ride back.  Just over 20 miles total.  This will be my last summer ride in Wisconsin before the official start of Fall (ugh) on Sept. 22nd. 

• Thank You 1

After my Saturday ride I dropped my bike off for its annual checkup and picked it up this afternoon.  I went for a quick ride after doing that.

Burning up a few brain cells trying to decide what to do after work tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

We took our bikes out today.  A road near us has been under construction for quite a long time, but it’s finally open and has bike lanes!  So excited to be able to access that part of town now.  

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

We took our bikes out today.  A road near us has been under construction for quite a long time, but it’s finally open and has bike lanes!  So excited to be able to access that part of town now.  

There's an intersection in Dubuque where I joke that Hell must've frozen over since they finally finished the road work and are not working on it now.  It seemed for a while they were tearing up the intersection once a year every year for one thing or another. 

I'm hoping sooner or later the city will finish the trail they graded by the new SW Arterial (US 52).  That would be so nice if they got that done since it'd be at least a six mile trail about three miles from home - making it the closest then.  Plus it sounds like they would want to connect it to the rest of the local trail system.

• Upvote 1

And of course, today's bike ride around Dubuque to mark the (fornicating ugh) start of fall 2021. 

I'm not ready for fall yet.  Had to wear a long sleeve shirt today.  I'd rather not, of course.

• Thank You 1

Went just over the river to ride in Wisconsin since I hadn't ridden there in a while.

Fairly nice ride today.  I wore my very visible jacket but it wasn't too warm out today.  Got about 11 miles totay.

• Upvote 1

Another ride late this afternoon around Dubuque.

Of course it was nice enough today to make a pit stop at the seasonal Dairy Queen drive up for an ice cream cone.  Got about 12 miles in today so I'm happy.

• Thank You 1

And today's ride around the north end of Dubuque.

• Thank You 1

And this evening's bike ride time lapse. 

I was going to go out by the river but there was a train going through so I did something a bit different.  Got just about 10 miles on today's loop.

• Thank You 1

Got a decent ride in yesterday.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

And after work today got a bit of a ride in around the Fortress of Dubuqueitude....

• Upvote 1

Stopped to charge the vehicle in Grinnell today.  Got the bike off and rode around while my car was charging.

• Upvote 2

Went for a bike ride from Waukee up to Dallas Center and back (along with an oat soda pit stop).  A little over 16 miles total. 

It was cloudy and sprinkled out a little bit on the trip back towards Waukee, but otherwise the weather wasn't too bad. 

I don't want to jinx things but so far it looks like the weather's going to be more cooperative this time.  Back in March when I house/cat sat for my sister and brother in law it was only nice the day I went home so I didn't get much riding in.  It's nice to be able to just bike from where I'm staying and not have to contend with four lane highway traffic like I would at home.

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2021 at 11:37 PM, 47of74 said:

Of course it was nice enough today to make a pit stop at the seasonal Dairy Queen drive up for an ice cream cone.

I didn't realize that Dairy Queens had migrated up to the northern tier of the US! Does it stay open all year and just the drive up closes?

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I didn't realize that Dairy Queens had migrated up to the northern tier of the US! Does it stay open all year and just the drive up closes?

DQ has been in Iowa longer than I’ve been alive. My mom remembers them growing up.  Most DQs around here are open year round. The one in the video is only open on a seasonal basis from mid spring to early fall.  That one has no indoor seating.  It’s more a drive up/walk up place for people making use of the various recreational facilities in the area.  

They make for a nice ice cream pit stop when out bike riding during spring, summer, and early fall.

Most Dairy Queen restaurants up here now are the regular fast food place open year long. 

And here was today's lunchtime ride around Waukee, Iowa.

I went over to a condo complex to see how much of an effort it would be to ride bike to there from my sister's place.  One a DSM realtor I know told me about.  If the right job came around for the right salary I'd at least consider it.  Of course they'd have to make it worth my while for me to stay in CovidKimistan.  

• Upvote 1

It was raining out this morning and looked iffy at noon so I didn't know if I'd be able to do any riding today.  Got nice enough in the afternoon to head out for a while. 

It was and still is pretty windy out though so I just rode around Waukee.  I was planning to head towards Clive but I didn't want to be riding into the wind tunnel on the way back. 

Actually rode around some of the older parts of Waukee.  Got me thinking how built up this area is now.  Hell even 25 years ago it wasn't probably considered to be part of the DSM metro.  Now it's a suburb with all the houses, business, and so on popping up out here.  We came down on vacation in the mid 90s and there was nothing west of 80/235. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Finally remembered where I stuck the GoPro so I used it today for my ride up to town.

Not too bad out today for a ride.  Temp was up in the mid 40s and not too windy.  I layered up too so I was comfortable going in today. 

• Thank You 1

And today's rides up to and around town.  Bit windier today than it was yesterday.

• Thank You 1

It was icy out this morning but got nice later on and is currently up close to 50 degrees.  So I went out on a ride today.  Got about 14 miles in total. 

They just about got the connection for the Bee Branch done so next spring one can ride all the way from the river out to Dyersville and back. 

• Thank You 1

Sunday's ride up to and around town.

It was a bit colder and a bit windy Sunday.

• Thank You 1