IGNORED

Bike ride adventures

47of74

It stopped raining long enough that I was able to go for a ride from Waukee over to the Campbell Recreation Area in Clive yesterday.

Just over 10 miles total.

• Upvote 2

And this morning's ride around Waukee.

Stopped raining long enough for me to get a ride in though it starting coming down again very lightly during the ride.  Just over 7 miles total. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Stopped raining long enough yesterday afternoon that I was able to go up to the High Trestle Trail and go for a ride there.

I went to the Woodward end since the High Trestle Trail Bridge is just a couple miles from there.  Went all the way to Madrid and back.  Just over 11 miles total.  It started raining again towards the end of the ride.  I was so happy I was able to get that ride in and go over that bridge. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

The weather was a bit more cooperative today so I rode from Waukee down to Des Moines and back.  About 31 miles total.  I was able to get some of it on GoPro but my battery died about 1/2 way through.

• Upvote 3

On 9/11/2020 at 6:55 AM, 47of74 said:

I was so happy I was able to get that ride in and go over that bridge. 

That bridge looked awesome, especially at high speed! 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

That bridge looked awesome, especially at high speed! 

Yes it was.  If it had been nice and warm out I might have done the whole trail from Ankeny to Woodward and back.  Would have been about 50 miles total then.  Of course now that I'm heading home it's getting nice out again here in Iowa.  Fornicate.  Probably would have done over well over 100 miles this past week if it hadn't rained so much this week.  But at least I was able to get some riding in.

• Upvote 2

Today I got a good ride in from Waukee up to Dallas Center and back.  It of course figures that the day I go home it's really nice outside. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I'm biking to Trader Joe's this morning to do some shopping.  Very little is scenic, all can be done on paved trail or sidewalk, so quite safe.  

About half is on wide sidewalks by 1) an expressway access road or 2) along busy streets.  

I go early to get in during geezette hours (8 - 9 am), plus it's still warm here in Texas, so early morning is better! 

We're doing a tour in southern Utah next month.  I need to start doing some 30+ mile training rides two to three times a week.  There's a slight cooling trend starting tomorrow, so that will help. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'm biking to Trader Joe's this morning to do some shopping.  Very little is scenic, all can be done on paved trail or sidewalk, so quite safe.  

About half is on wide sidewalks by 1) an expressway access road or 2) along busy streets.  

I go early to get in during geezette hours (8 - 9 am), plus it's still warm here in Texas, so early morning is better! 

We're doing a tour in southern Utah next month.  I need to start doing some 30+ mile training rides two to three times a week.  There's a slight cooling trend starting tomorrow, so that will help. 

And of course it's nice out this week.  I've got such a bone to pick with Mother Nature.  I got about 110 miles in last week.  I probably would have gotten twice as many miles in last week if the weather had been more cooperative.

• Upvote 2

Our last bike ride a couple weeks ago was approximately a 15-miler and involved a visit to a lovely lake and some hills.  I spent a lot of time pushing my bike up the inclines. 

We've had to limit our outdoor activities because of smoky conditions, but we have mapped out a few new routes for some local bike rides once the air quality improves.  Other than that, I got nothin'...  ?

Thanks for posting your bicycle videos and reports while I live vicariously! ??

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

@CTRLZero,  Hope you have some better air soon.  Some friends are in areas experiencing horrible air quality with no relief in sight, but I don't know anyone who has had to evacuate due to fires. 

Gravel grinding (riding dirt and gravel roads) has exploded in popularity the last few years and my part of the world is no exception.  I'm on a facebook gravel grinding page showing lots of routes southwest and west of San Antonio.  That's a drive for us, but it could work as a week end away in late fall (that's November in Texas) or on a nice winter weekend.  

Meanwhile, continuing to pedal about the city doing errands in the early morning.  Rode to Trader Joe's this morning for a grocery shop.  They are restricting their Senior (geezer/geezette) hours to 8-9 on Sunday and Wednesdays only, instead of all days of the week.  That's OK, I guess.  I really like the cheerful energy of their employees.  I also like that it's not a huge store; the scale works for me to get in, shop and get the heck out instead of wandering miles of aisles at the giant grocery. However, we've been doing curbside pickup at the Big Grocery Store, so I haven't been in there for a month or so.

Still a high in the mid 90s today, but with a slight cooling trend on the way! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

Went on the Heritage Trail from Dubuque to Dyersville and back today.

Just over 53 miles total.  Pretty nice day for a ride.  It was a bit chilly at first since it was only 52 degrees when I left on my ride but it warmed up after a while.  Got about 97% of the ride on video - I only had the one battery today and it drained by the time I got to Dyersville, but I was able to charge it up for the ride home in the time I was in Dyersville. 

I think I'll be sleeping good tonight.

• Thank You 2

And I got a couple short rides around NW Illinois today, namely around the towns of Elizabeth and Galena.

In total just over 11.7 miles. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

After work this afternoon I went down to Cascade and rode around town for a while. 

Got a little over 11 miles in doing that today.  Good start to the week.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Went up in to town to ride around for a bit yesterday afternoon. 

About 16 miles total.  Sunset was at 6:59pm, it was definitely starting to cool down as the sun approached the horizon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Forgot to plug in my GoPro to recharge yesterday so I only had about 35% battery but still managed to get a decent portion of the yesterday's jaunt on video...

In total it was just over 20.5 miles. 

• Upvote 1

Did a quick ride this afternoon after work.

Almost 9.7 miles total.  Just under an hour of riding time.

I went over to Freeport this morning to check out the Jane Addams Trail.  Rode that from Freeport up to just over the Wisconsin border and back.

Almost 36 miles total.  Not quite three hours on the bike.  Windy at times but not too bad of a day out.

Got most of the ride on video but I did have to stop the GoPro for a bit to charge up the battery some.

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Got some more riding in this morning.

Just over 13 miles.  Got it in early since it's supposed to rain this afternoon.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I have to work late today so I started later than normal this morning.  I took the time to go on a sunrise bike ride to the road by the local Y to the Julien Dubuque Monument and back.

It was in the 30s this morning but it wasn't too windy.  I had layered up so I was warm enough for the ride.  I timed it so I got to the monument just as the sun was coming up. 

• Thank You 1

Last Friday they were saying the weather was going to be pretty cruddy yesterday - cold, windy, and rainy.  Turned out to be clear out even though it was still a bit on the cool side outside.  So I went for a nice ride near Galena yesterday. 

• Upvote 2

Since I'm working late again today I started late this morning, and used the time to go for a sunrise bike ride from the Bergfeld Rec Area over to Heritage Pond and back.  Almost 17.25 miles this morning. 

I decided to clip the camera to my helmet.  Didn't turn out as well as I liked since the camera wound up being pointed too low. 

Might try the side mount for my next ride.

• Upvote 1

Went for a ride up in Wisconsin this morning, going from Belmont over to Calamine and back.  I clipped my GoPro to the side of my helmet today and the video turned out a bit better.

Wisconsin has it with the Pecatonica State Trail where ATVs are allowed on the trail.  So the trail was in pretty rough shape, with it being pitted, uneven, and generally bumpy.  So I took the paved road back.  Not much traffic and a bit more of a workout due to the hills, but a much nice ride.  Weather was perfect for riding this morning.

• Upvote 1

This evening's post work ride around Dubuque.   Once again I clipped the GoPro to my helmet.

Pretty soon the sun will be going down around 5pm.  Ugh.

• Thank You 1

The Julien Dubuque Bridge Bike/Pedestrian lane finally opened the other day, about two months late.  So I went for a late afternoon ride yesterday afternoon in Dubuque and East Dubuque that went over the bridge. 

The highway traffic is a bit unnerving even though I'm in a separated lane so I don't do that too often but I wanted to get it in again this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1