IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

On 4/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, TZmom said:

I used to have a work friend who became a grandmother at 34. A girl I went to school with made her mother a grandmother at 30. My cousin was a grandmother at 36 (as was her mother). My mother had me young, but I was 27 when I had my first, so she was 46 when she became a grandmother.

The most shocking I have come across: I used to have a regular customer at a store I worked at who was the ripe old age of 28 when she became a grandmother!

I had a client at work who was a grandmother at 29. She was 16 when she had her daughter who then had a baby at 13. The grandmother ended up with legal custody of the baby and raised her as her own. It was crazy though because I didn't have my first until I was 30 and Grandma and I were the same age so her granddaughter was a year older than my son. 

• Upvote 5

On 4/14/2019 at 11:08 PM, fluffernutter said:

When I was pregnant with my first we were at my in laws one evening and  talking girl names (we knew it was a girl). My sis in law says "Why don't you name her Louise?" And I was like ewwww no way! His mom pipes up and says that's her middle name. I was like oops... ? Happened again with my 2nd girl and my grandmother, who recommended her name, Hazel. That time I was more careful in staying neutral. 

My mom's name is Louise. She's always gone by Lucy. I've never heard anyone call her Louise in her life. She hated her name when she was younger and now it's become pretty popular again. 

On 4/15/2019 at 3:23 AM, Smee said:

True, but national data only tells you so much. My son’s first grade class last year had two boys called Malachi and two girls called Zahlie. Neither were in the top 100 the year they were born.

”Old” names are definitely making a comeback, particularly for girls. Under the age of 8, I know kids called Evelyn, Freya, Florence, Eleanor, Alice, Adelaide, Edith, Estelle, Margot, Constance, Theodore and Herbert.

I love Adelaide so much, if we ever have another daughter we want to use it (it's a family name) so I'm kind of sad it's getting so popular. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

Could someone explain the religious reference there to a heathen Catholic? I learned Jesus died for our sins so, essentially, we'd be able to go to Heaven if we were good (7yr old EmainMacha speaking there). What do they mean by 'He died the death that we deserved if we by faith trust him as our Savior, we have the privilege of living with Him in Heaven.' I can't quite make sense of it. It makes having faith sound like a negative or something?

There should be a full stop or a semi colon after deserved - it's a run-on sentence, but that's SOTDRT for you.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2

Older names are for sure making a big comeback in my area. There are a lot of Evelyn, Eleanor, Emma's I've seen around. My grandmother and her siblings had beautiful names in my opinion Katherine Adelaide, Julia Louise and Alyce (pronounced: AL-eece) Marie and they have been used a lot in our family over the years. I have cousins named Adelaide and Julia, my mom's name is Louise, my aunt is Kathleen, my niece's middle name is Julia and my daughters is Alyce.  My grandfather's name was Boyce James which I always found unique. 

On the other side my Grandmother is Mary Pauline and my Grandfather was Harry Francis. I don't think Harry or Pauline are making a hard come back but a lot of their siblings names are. I was also shocked about the overlap of a lot of the names on both sides of my family. My grandmothers siblings were Michael, Louise, Anna, Julia, Santina, Minerva, Nicholas, Anthony. My Grandfather's siblings were Donald, Earl, Phillip, Kathleen, Alice and JoAnn .

My son's name is more popular with people who are my age then his age. He's the only one I've met so far and he's almost 6. His name was 359 the year he was born and 467 as of 2017. My daughters name is more trendy now and there is a lot of spelling variations too. It was 248 when she was born and 254 now. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

and JoAnn .

My grandma's name was JoAnn! ? Sure gave junk mail companies a lot of mailing options...

My cats names are Mirah and Eleanor. I think my choices there are a pretty good indicator of what I would name my kids... though I wouldn't want anything too common, and if traditional names are becoming popular again...!

In my wandering through the family tree, I've found it's mostly the same handful of names: Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary, John, Thomas, Charles. Though I did find a greatxinfinity named Philadelphia*! And she apparently liked the name so much, she passed it on to her first daughter.

I also have a greatxsomething uncle born in 1919 who was named Victory.*

* Born in England.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

My mom's name is Louise. She's always gone by Lucy. I've never heard anyone call her Louise in her life. She hated her name when she was younger and now it's become pretty popular again. 

Dad's name is John, always went by the Gaelic version of John, Ian. His parents only named him John to keep up the family tradition. His sister is Ellen Marie but was called Lynn. Gran was told by her mother that Lynn was not a name and she better call her something else and it being the early 60's she listened.

My parents decided not to keep the John tradition going, they used my dad's middle name for my brother's first name but that was due them liking the name. My sister was given a name they got from a singer that was not common here in the 1980s and people mispronounced it, now I know lots of people with that name. My name came from a singer and it's a shortened version of a name, again they chose not to go by the full version of the name because they hated it and I hate it too, I would have probably paid to change it if they had named me the full version of my name.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

Could someone explain the religious reference there to a heathen Catholic? I learned Jesus died for our sins so, essentially, we'd be able to go to Heaven if we were good (7yr old EmainMacha speaking there). What do they mean by 'He died the death that we deserved if we by faith trust him as our Savior, we have the privilege of living with Him in Heaven.' I can't quite make sense of it. It makes having faith sound like a negative or something?

Edited to add- unless the 'if' is meant to be the start of a new sentence? That makes a bit of sense.

He died to take the punishment for us. If we trust him in life, we can be with him in heaven.

Which is great, but doesn’t actually mention the resurrection at all... seems more suited to a Good Friday post.

• Upvote 4

I mean why not just straight up quote a bible verse to get your point across? According to fundies" It is living and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword. It is able to divide soul from spirit." I don't get how careless and sloppy our fundies are in their theological/biblical references. It's "literally a matter of life and death to you." It has the power to "save your soul from hell." For Rufuses sake, act like you mean it and put a little polish on this mini-sermon of yours. I have a soft spot for Kendra. This isn't so much directed at her personally. I just have great disdain for how little fundies value academic study of the bible. 

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1

Wow, Kendra has perfected the Gaze Adoringly At Your Headship manoeuvre. 

• Upvote 7

On 4/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, DundeeUnFundie said:

Speaking from experience, best friends dating brothers is a recipe for disaster ?

My sister in laws were best friends when they started dating Mr Way’s brothers and they still are. I sometimes joke with Mr Way about which of their friends he would have gotten if he hadn’t found me. 

They are both petite, adorable, nice, christian girls and I am none of those things. I really like them. They are fun and always make sure to include me even though we’re very different. 

• Upvote 15

18 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

I had a client at work who was a grandmother at 29. She was 16 when she had her daughter who then had a baby at 13. The grandmother ended up with legal custody of the baby and raised her as her own. It was crazy though because I didn't have my first until I was 30 and Grandma and I were the same age so her granddaughter was a year older than my son. 

A guy at my work is 22 and expecting his first (unplanned) baby any day. He told me his mom is 37 and about to be a grandmother. 

My unwed, childless sister is 37 this year - this seemed crazier to him than his own mom having grandchildren at the same age! 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

My grandma's name was JoAnn! ? Sure gave junk mail companies a lot of mailing options...

My maternal line was full of some variation of Joanne until my mom so I brought it back with my daughter. 

Great great grandma was Josephina Anatolia (from Spain and moved to Mexico) 

She named her daughter the same but when they started migrating north she wanted a more American name so she changed it to JoAnn

She named her daughter (my grandma) (very old fashioned first name) Joanne.

She broke the pattern with my mom but I wanted to honor my grandma so I started it again by making my daughters middle name Joanna.

That's my long ass anecdote about the name JoAnn. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

My middle name is Jo ( my MGM was Josephine aka Feeney). Oh how I wished that my middle name was JoAnn. Although in HS I had a friend with eh middle name Jo too. Now I love the name Josie, but that is not what my GM went by. My dad did have an aunt named Josie.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

My middle name is Jo ( my MGM was Josephine aka Feeney). Oh how I wished that my middle name was JoAnn. Although in HS I had a friend with eh middle name Jo too. Now I love the name Josie, but that is not what my GM went by. My dad did have an aunt named Josie.

Okay, I have to break. One of my two daughters is Josephine, and I call her Feenie sometimes! Or Jo, Joey, Josie. Poor girl has too many nicknames! ?

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Dad's name is John, always went by the Gaelic version of John, Ian. His parents only named him John to keep up the family tradition. His sister is Ellen Marie but was called Lynn. Gran was told by her mother that Lynn was not a name and she better call her something else and it being the early 60's she listened.

My parents decided not to keep the John tradition going, they used my dad's middle name for my brother's first name but that was due them liking the name. My sister was given a name they got from a singer that was not common here in the 1980s and people mispronounced it, now I know lots of people with that name. My name came from a singer and it's a shortened version of a name, again they chose not to go by the full version of the name because they hated it and I hate it too, I would have probably paid to change it if they had named me the full version of my name.

I like that your parents went ahead and chose the version they nee they wanted. It’s big in my family to go by middle names or some random nickname and it gets confusing. My Dad, Great Aunt and Grandmother both go by their middle names. My maternal grandfather went by Chriss which was a play off his last name. My nephew goes by a nickname.

47 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

I like that your parents went ahead and chose the version they nee they wanted. It’s big in my family to go by middle names or some random nickname and it gets confusing. My Dad, Great Aunt and Grandmother both go by their middle names. My maternal grandfather went by Chriss which was a play off his last name. My nephew goes by a nickname.

My parents also just gave me the nickname they knew they would use. I’m named after my dad’s childhood best friend. She had a common/traditional English given name, but went by one of the many diminutives associated with the name. It’s a nickname that is now commonly used as a given name in its right and my parents knew they wanted to call me by the diminutive version anyway, so they just went with that.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, nst said:

my mother's sister is named Marie Antoniette

Maybe Josh and Anna will use that name next, they Already have a Marcus Anthony.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:56 AM, SassyPants said:

OMG, how cute/fun is Feeney I love the name Josephine, but never thought of that. My sisters Bff's middle name is Lynn, her moms is Jo, her 3 brothers have the middle name Joe and her 2 sisters have the middle name Jo no one is sure why she was singled out, her mother never answers when people ask why April is April Lynn (not her real 1st name) Everyone in the family has the initials AJO (even mom & dad) except, her hers are ALO she was #3 of 6 so right in the middle of them all too. 

• Upvote 4

On 4/22/2019 at 2:07 PM, Sullie06 said:

That boggles me. I didn't have my son till I was thirty. I'm actually young by my family's standards: my mom and maternal grandmother were both considered "elderly primigravida".

Seriously, my grandmother would be over 100 if she were alive. I can't imagine how many generations she'd have seen if my family had a history of first babies that young.

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

OMG, how cute/fun is Feeney I love the name Josephine, but never thought of that. My sisters Bff's middle name is Lynn, her moms is Jo, her 3 brothers have the middle name Joe and her 2 sisters have the middle name Jo no one is sure why she was singled out, her mother never answers when people ask why April is April Lynn (not her real 1st name) Everyone in the family has the initials AJO (even mom & dad) except, her hers are ALO she was #3 of 6 so right in the middle of them all too. 

I actually suggested Fee as a nickname for Josephine while talking baby names with my husband!

I love name thread drift. It's interesting seeing how trends evolve and why people pick the names they do.

• Upvote 6

I actually found FJ (and fundie snark in general) via a baby name snark board so I’m loving the thread drift haha.

I really like Josephine and it got as far as the shortlist for our youngest. We have a close family member who is called Joey a lot (female) so I was hesitant about Josie and Joey at the same family gatherings but it probably would have been fine.

The idea of someone having a baby at 13 makes me sad for so many reasons beyond a 29yr old grandmother. That’s well below the age of consent for sex, let alone motherhood. Poor kid.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

12 hours ago, Smee said:

I actually found FJ (and fundie snark in general) via a baby name snark board so I’m loving the thread drift haha.

I really like Josephine and it got as far as the shortlist for our youngest. We have a close family member who is called Joey a lot (female) so I was hesitant about Josie and Joey at the same family gatherings but it probably would have been fine.

The idea of someone having a baby at 13 makes me sad for so many reasons beyond a 29yr old grandmother. That’s well below the age of consent for sex, let alone motherhood. Poor kid.

It actually is the name we've picked for a girl. Moot point if this one's a boy, too, since it's probably our last! It'll have a cousin also named Josephine, but her nickname's Josie so we're going with a different nickname. Honestly, we have a bunch of guys with the same name in the family; you find workarounds. :)

It's depressing to think of the circumstances that may have led to some of these very young mothers a lot of the posters are mentioning.

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, nst said:

my mother's sister is named Marie Antoniette

Does she like cake?

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

Does she like cake?

she does. She is 83 and lives in Switerzland. 

we call her Googi 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

My maternal grandmother was Agrippina (she was Dominican)! My paternal grandmother Juliana (German). If I would have had a daughter I was thinking Juliana.... no way Agrippina! I ended up with a son I named Conor. Yes one n to make things difficult for the rest of his life. The paternal names were kind of dull.... John, Pedro and my ex's name is Bruno after his dad. That was one tradition that I was going to stop! 

My mother's first name is  Rosula. Has anyone ever met a Rosula? I think she is probably the only person in the world with her name. 

• Upvote 2

• Georgiana locked this topic