IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

Ummmm don't they just mean the baby's legs were closed so you couldn't see the genitals . . . so they couldn't tell the gender . . . 

I think you've all gone too far with this one

10 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

yeah cause even a baby girl fetus has to keep its legs closed. People are stupid

My husband must have been meant to be a girl then. He was a very modest fetus who constantly had his legs crossed during ultrasounds. One of my nephews was the same way - the ultrasound tech almost wasn’t able to see if the right parts were actually there or growing properly. My other nephew was a free show for all from the second the anatomy scan started, just like my daughter was. ?

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Leg crossing aside, how is finding out about your baby's sex beforehand less exciting than waiting until birth?  Aren't you surprised either way?  

I don't know, I'd be pretty disappointed if the majority of my followers were all fucking idiots.  Doesn't seem to bother the Duggars or any other fundies, tho... 

We found out during the anatomy scan with our daughter. We both thought she might be a girl, but we were still surprised to find out for sure. We intend to find out again with our second child this summer (unless we somehow find out via genetic testing bloodwork I might have done this week) - I figure I’m sharing my body with a complete stranger and I’d like to know a bit more about whoever they might be as early as I can*. I have a feeling this next one might be a boy and I’m not really sure why. I guessed right for both my nephews and my daughter, so it’ll be fun to see if my streak continues. We’ll be happy with whatever the result is as long as the baby is healthy and has all their parts though. :) 

*They could always end up being Transgender or gender non-conforming or intersex and we’d be 100% fine with that. I just find it nice to have a basic idea of who this little person might be. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

Ummmm don't they just mean the baby's legs were closed so you couldn't see the genitals . . . so they couldn't tell the gender . . . 

I think you've all gone too far with this one

Nah I don't think so. It seemed that missus was saying that the fetus had to be a girl because she kept her legs closed. Girls are super modest. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

messy little boys LOL 

is this Jessa's version of Kelly Bates's postings of her sons after they've been mud running?

• Haha 10

Love the pictures of the boys having fun in the mud, love that they are allowed to get muddy as some parents these days don't like their children getting dirty.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Love the pictures of the boys having fun in the mud, love that they are allowed to get muddy as some parents these days don't like their children getting dirty.

As a kid, I was never allowed to get muddy or dirty. My mom wanted me to be clean and pristine all the time. I mean she still does lol even now she’ll mention if my white sneakers get dirty. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

messy little boys LOL 

I have said this before but holy crap it makes me do a double take every time she posts a picture of Henry because one of my small humans and Henry look very very similar. Said small human also loves being covered in dirt ?

On 5/7/2019 at 10:38 PM, Hisey said:

I told her it had to be a girl since she kept her legs closed.

The ultrasound tech told us the same thing at my mid pregnancy scan with the small human that looks so similar to Henry... A follow up scan had to be done to check some cardiac issues and at that one baby was in a different position where it was very obvious she was incorrect. ? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My husband is like that. He lets them do it but then complains the whole time about the mess. Hes a bit OCD so once they are done being muddy it is a production to get them cleaned up. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

My husband is like that. He lets them do it but then complains the whole time about the mess. Hes a bit OCD so once they are done being muddy it is a production to get them cleaned up. 

This is how I am. I have two toddlers, and I try my best to let them get dirty outside... but man, it stresses me out SO much. The clean up afterward is just horrible for me. I still let them do it... but I don't like it. ?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

My boys spent one of the best summers ever playing in a mud puddle just like that.  We'd just hose them off before they came in.  I suspect there are still dinosaurs and army men buried out there somewhere.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10
  • Love 8

10 minutes ago, twoandthrough said:

This is how I am. I have two toddlers, and I try my best to let them get dirty outside... but man, it stresses me out SO much. The clean up afterward is just horrible for me. I still let them do it... but I don't like it. ?

When my kids were small, if they got dirty, muddy, whatever, they got an "outside shower". We had a big yard with a privacy fence. My boys LOVED the "outside shower". It was just using the hose with the gentle "rain" setting on the nozzle. But damn, they LOVED it...trying to get them to take an inside shower/bath was like arguing with a pissed off lion, but outside, all giggles all the time. The girls wouldn't get as dirty and would rather go inside. But my boys were and are a couple of weirdos anyway. 

I didn't have to "let" them get dirty, they were pros at it. Still are...I have yet to figure out how changing a tire or doing an oil change results in the full body filth they end up with...I swear they roll around in whatever and enjoy it. They're 32 and 28 now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

On 5/2/2019 at 3:19 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Totally.  I know some people who just sold an apartment in Brooklyn for 1.25 million, no dishwasher, no garbage disposal, no A/C, communal laundry in basement.  

Coming out of lurkdom just to comment on dishwashers, lol

I live in a high priced area in Brooklyn, we all have dishwashers, as a matter of fact, everyone I know has a dishwasher and with very few exceptions, I have had a dishwasher in every apartment I have ever lived in.

Garbage disposals, no, never seen one. I actually thought they weren't allowed in NYC, could be wrong about that, but, yeah, have never seen one.

Almost everyone I know who owns their apartment and a few who rent, have washer/driers in their apartment. We are an older small building with old plumbing so we don't allow washer/driers in apartments, but, we have machines in the basement for apartment owners to use. We are a small building, so, not many flights to climb and the machines are free and you can keep all your laundry needs down there.

Back to lurking, lol

• Upvote 9

When our second was born we decided to sell our home to move closer to our jobs. Anyhow, the house we bought was a single story home and the main kids’ bathroom had a door that opened directly into the backyard. It was the perfect house for us at that time.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

Does he *actually* have OCD or do you mean he’s a bit pedantic about cleanliness/a neat freak? Not picking on you, but I hate when medical diagnoses are used as slang like that, and then I second-guessed my irritation because maybe you DID mean he has a mental illness and this is one way it affects your life.

My kids don’t get muddy often because I hate the cleanup, but they do go climbing over tree stumps in the bush, poking in the stream, and putting on gum boots to jump in puddles. I try to balance the “normal kid experiences” and “back to nature” stuff with my dislike of unpeeling muddy clothes from bodies and getting them clean and warm without having to wipe down the whole house after.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I think it's great when kids get dirty, but I hate looking at pictures of anyone covered in food/mud. I just don't know why you need a memory of that. I ended up blocking some (shitty for other reasons) cousins who alternated pictures of their "muddin'" vehicles with pictures of their kids covered in food/mud/whatever. 

• Upvote 3

Also going back to garbage disposals, did anyone read about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and her new "swanky" DC apartment with a garbage disposal? She actually said they were illegal in New York City for the longest time, and once they became legal they just never really caught on.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/ocasio-cortez-blown-away-by-first-experience-with-a-garbage-disposal/

My favorite line from the article:

“All you people telling me to reach in and grab whatever’s there are just Republicans trying to test my health insurance.”

“I’m onto you.”

:pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 22

Garbage disposals are not allowed in restaurants or any other establishments that prepare food in the city where I work. Private residents are an exception for this. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Smee said:

Does he *actually* have OCD or do you mean he’s a bit pedantic about cleanliness/a neat freak? Not picking on you, but I hate when medical diagnoses are used as slang like that

Either way the poster meant it, when a lay person (NOT a diagnosing professional) uses terms like OCD, depressed, narcissist, etc, I never take it as a diagnosis, but more of a quick way to describe some feelings/behaviors. I use the terms that way and have never thought someone might take it to mean a diagnosis. There are degrees of everything. I'll rethink my use of those terms, possibly adding an oral addendum that "this is not a legitimate Dx" or "she's OCD-like." A person can be 'fat' without having an actual diagnosis of obesity, same as with other diagnoses.

This is eye-opening to me because I truly never thought other folks would think **diagnosis**  when these terms are candidly used.

• Upvote 8
  • Bless Your Heart 2

20 minutes ago, Bobology said:

Either way the poster meant it, when a lay person (NOT a diagnosing professional) uses terms like OCD, depressed, narcissist, etc, I never take it as a diagnosis, but more of a quick way to describe some feelings/behaviors. I use the terms that way and have never thought someone might take it to mean a diagnosis. There are degrees of everything. I'll rethink my use of those terms, possibly adding an oral addendum that "this is not a legitimate Dx" or "she's OCD-like." A person can be 'fat' without having an actual diagnosis of obesity, same as with other diagnoses.

This is eye-opening to me because I truly never thought other folks would think **diagnosis**  when these terms are candidly used.

I think people on FJ are sensitive to this topic. Some members have been disciplined, myself included, for making what others have viewed as a “diagnosis.”  Although I am not sure if discipline is always done across the board. In addition, I think it’s ok if a person is referring to themself or their loved one, like in this case, versus others ( people who are discussed here, like the Duggars, as an example).

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Although I am not sure if discipline is always done across the board

In order for that to happen we’d need to read every post on every thread.

in order for that to happen we’d need a lot more people all of us working on FJ full time.

so no...it won’t always be across the board,  but it certainly has nothing to do with who is saying what.

it has everything to do with which one of us saw it and if we felt it was something that warranted a response.  It’s an imperfect system by design.

and I’ll admit it - I usually respond to internet diagnosticians as it’s a particular pet peeve of mine.

23 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In addition, I think it’s ok if a person is referring to themself or their loved one, like in this case, versus others ( people who are discussed here, like the Duggars, as an example).

Exactly.  I had no issue with this post in question because she knows her husband.  There is a world of difference between that and discussing potential diagnosis based on pics, edited videos, stupid scripted reality shows, and factoids from People magazine.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 15

@Nishi621, there are a number of communities that have (or did, in NYC's case) outlaw new installations of garbage disposals because they take a lot of water to operate.  

Btw, welcome to Free Jinger!

• Upvote 4

I object to people using 'a bit OCD' or 'a bit autistic' to describe a personality quirk in someone without a Dx, since it trivialises real, debilitating conditions, and makes it harder for sufferers to be taken seriously, or access help. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

I object to people using 'a bit OCD' or 'a bit autistic' to describe a personality quirk in someone without a Dx, since it trivialises real, debilitating conditions, and makes it harder for sufferers to be taken seriously, or access help. 

This really makes sense, thank you!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

okay this is cute and well it could all be for show I want to hope that Jessa really is the attentive mother we see in these clips

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic