IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 4: In Case Anyone Forgot, Carlin Is ENGAGED Y'all

HerNameIsBuffy

I felt genuinely bad for Carlin last night. Kelly was talking about how Carlin always wanted to dance when she got engaged, then went on about their stupid rules to explain why she never had dance lessons or learned to dance etc..

Couple that with Carlin posting about a father daughter dance at her wedding and it seems like Carlin was just a kid who wanted to dance and was told it she would go to hell.  

The Bates just squash dreams that don’t fit with their rigid beliefs.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 5

Did anyone else notice how Evan's whole purpose in location selecting for the big Engagement was that the picture of him on his knee with Carlin in a dress at that lighthouse would look good?  SMH. He's picture planning all the time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Did anyone else notice how Evan's whole purpose in location selecting for the big Engagement was that the picture of him on his knee with Carlin in a dress at that lighthouse would look good?  SMH. He's picture planning all the time. 

I noticed that too. In my life the proposal was a private matter and our engagement photos for the newspaper announcement and all that was done later with a professional photographer who worked with us on locations that might work. He proposed on top of a mountain at Christmas time with 10 minutes to go before the last ride down. I think my first answer was, "Are you freaking kidding me right now with this?" Granted, I was worried that we would miss the ride down and I'd have to walk in ballet flats down a mountain in the dark. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

This is one thing I really can't fault Evan for tbh. I'm always the photographer. Somehow I end up taking pictures of everyone but not a single person takes a picture of me or at least a flattering one. I will literally take 20 pics just so the picture will come out how the person wants it. It would be nice if someone thought about pictures of me. If I get engaged, I'd want something picturesque too. Yes they live for IG posts but those are also engagement pictures that they'll have forever. My friends are in her mother in laws basement, looking awkward as hell. I'd rather have a lighthouse.

• Upvote 13

On 1/16/2019 at 11:52 AM, catlady said:

I live east of Canada, in the US!  ?? 

East of some of Canada. I'm in Canada and I'm situated near the most Easterly point in North America. Also feels like the coldest!

• Upvote 4

On 1/18/2019 at 3:16 PM, TeaELSee said:

I felt genuinely bad for Carlin last night. Kelly was talking about how Carlin always wanted to dance when she got engaged, then went on about their stupid rules to explain why she never had dance lessons or learned to dance etc..

Couple that with Carlin posting about a father daughter dance at her wedding and it seems like Carlin was just a kid who wanted to dance and was told it she would go to hell.  

The Bates just squash dreams that don’t fit with their rigid beliefs.

And look, I get religious rules and restrictions, but dancing is such a natural, universal form of human expression. I'd hazard to guess that every single culture on earth has a dancing tradition. We use it to socialize (and not just by grinding up on people at the club), to tell stories, to celebrate, to pray, and just have fun -- yes, it can be sexual, but it's not sinful or evil. That Kelly and Gil would make these utterly ridiculous rules to the point where a 20-year-old woman is so excited about the novel experience of dancing just shows who they really are. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 3

Today I watched a little two year old who literally couldn't contain her excitement when the wiggles started playing. Bop bop wiggle wiggle with some little fist pumps... its just so lovely to watch that much natural enthusiasm! That rule is so ridiculous.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Little kids also naturally dance when they hear music. Imaging being a little Bates or Duggar and getting punished for bouncing around.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Little kids also naturally dance when they hear music. Imaging being a little Bates or Duggar and getting punished for bouncing around.

5 hours ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

Today I watched a little two year old who literally couldn't contain her excitement when the wiggles started playing. Bop bop wiggle wiggle with some little fist pumps... its just so lovely to watch that much natural enthusiasm! That rule is so ridiculous.

My daughter is 2 and dances all the time. She LOVES Billy Joel and will literally stop mid bite during a meal to run over and dance around. It’s absolutely adorable. How they could look at their kids behaving so innocently and having so much fun and call that sinful is beyond my comprehension. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

It's simple really. A zealot, nut job leader can't (as in not coordinated or physically unable) or doesn't like to makes up these stupid rules. Can't have the sheep doing things the shepherd can't or won't.

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

It totally reminds me of a Duggar episode YEARS ago (back when they were still dressing in matching outfits..haha) where they were out thrift shopping and one of the younger boys (maybe Jackson?) pressed a musical toy. He started bopping all around and one of the older girls quickly redirected him and made it a point to say he's "jumping for Jesus" or something like that. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, LillyP said:

It totally reminds me of a Duggar episode YEARS ago (back when they were still dressing in matching outfits..haha) where they were out thrift shopping and one of the younger boys (maybe Jackson?) pressed a musical toy. He started bopping all around and one of the older girls quickly redirected him and made it a point to say he's "jumping for Jesus" or something like that. 

Omg, I remember that!  I think they were shopping for shoes and I have no idea why I retained this information!

• Upvote 8

On 1/18/2019 at 1:17 PM, BeccaGrim said:

It was odd. And also telling how their lives are becoming totally showesque. Reality is, their pictures would be splattered all over social media and at least one official news article. He knows that and has to account for it especially if have the best picture is important to Carlin. 

Looking back, they have some of the most becautiful engagement photos, yet. However, for me the location loses its luster knowing the spot was picked for picture worthiness moreso than sentimental value. 

Also, it just touches me how much dancing is important to Carlin so Evan goes out of his way to learn. Makes up for his *this engagment site is zomg picture worthy!*

I was raised fundie moderate. We could not dance nor listen to secular music. I had extremely limited knowledge of both.

Years after I left fundieville...

At my wedding,  I was completely embarassed trying to two step on our first dance. It had not occurred to us that I needed professional practice ahead. We thought dancing would be easy for me from the looks of us trying it casually. Wrong!?

• Upvote 9

David danced.

I suppose having adult children has offered Gil and Kelly a path out of some of the more useless trappings of their insular system. It's such trivial showoffy baggage, for the most part, and I bet it sucks energy from the air. Their beliefs are skewed without the decoration, but it's always possible that if they ever just get back to basics, they'll grow a little as humans. At the least, be less annoying to those around them.

I note several people have referred to artificial plants as "dustcatchers." I have to assume you don't enjoy real plants in your home? I have about ten, currently, in various rooms. Besides needing water at varying intervals depending on type and time of year, they must be dusted, trimmed, repotted from time to time, fed on occasion, and moved to different spots in different seasons. 

So if you like the look of plants but don't want to do all that and aren't into selecting species that are good for indoor air, these new good-looking fake ones are the way to go.

• Upvote 8

On 1/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, LillyP said:

It also happened during an episode when they ate at an African restaurant in DC or NYC. A sort of ''let's put the Duggars in an unfamiliar situation and see how they react'' plot. There were African chants and dances to entertain the clients and I think it was Johanna or Jennie that started automatically dancing and bopping to the rythm. Whoever it was, from what I recall she must have been 2 or 3 years old only. It was actually so sweet and innocent. Simply a kid wanted to move to the music. Michelle immeadietly made her stop and sit straight.

What a sad scene that was.

• Sad 7

3 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

David danced.

I suppose having adult children has offered Gil and Kelly a path out of some of the more useless trappings of their insular system. It's such trivial showoffy baggage, for the most part, and I bet it sucks energy from the air. Their beliefs are skewed without the decoration, but it's always possible that if they ever just get back to basics, they'll grow a little as humans. At the least, be less annoying to those around them.

I note several people have referred to artificial plants as "dustcatchers." I have to assume you don't enjoy real plants in your home? I have about ten, currently, in various rooms. Besides needing water at varying intervals depending on type and time of year, they must be dusted, trimmed, repotted from time to time, fed on occasion, and moved to different spots in different seasons. 

So if you like the look of plants but don't want to do all that and aren't into selecting species that are good for indoor air, these new good-looking fake ones are the way to go.

I found an interview they apparently gave when they only had 18 kids that discusses dancing. Michelle actually mentions David in it:

6C5E0AFB-0B2B-4A10-808D-19AA0022B652.thumb.png.56940877ab73f2e4d6d23429c1717af1.png

https://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/celebrities/2009/10/michelle-and-jim-bob-duggar.aspx?p=9

On 1/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, LillyP said:

I remember reading about that on here. I’m pretty sure the poster mentioned it was Jana who stopped him from dancing, but I could be wrong. 

• Thank You 3

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

I found an interview they apparently gave when they only had 18 kids that discusses dancing. Michelle actually mentions David in it:

https://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/celebrities/2009/10/michelle-and-jim-bob-duggar.aspx?p=9

I remember reading about that on here. I’m pretty sure the poster mentioned it was Jana who stopped him from dancing, but I could be wrong. 

What an absurd woman. The acrobatics these two will do to cast their own self-absorbed guilt on others never ceases to amaze me, even in this soon to be short-lived political era filled with it. Think about what kind of a creepy view of yourself and others you have that if "making a joyful noise unto the Lord" in public is accompanied by a little bouncing around, everyone will be consumed with lust. It's disgusting.

I just hate the lack of balance most of all. Everything is completely one thing or the other, with no middle ground or context. There are people who go to the fundamentalist extreme because they're afraid of actually screwing up again, some other part of their life. And then there are the people who are afraid of the appearance of it. Jesus wept.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

The thing that has always pissed me off about 1st gen fundies is that they got to live their lives, have all the fun of youth yet turn around and snatch that away from their children. I understand from their perspective they're protecting their children from the evils of the world. However, if a child/teen stumbles or wants to enjoy innocent yet "wordly" activities that most youth want to enjoy, they are criticized, backlashed and guilted out of the desire. It is a disheartening aspect of growing up fundie. How dare you supress your kids, then turn around and say, "Michelle danced", "I listened to rock."

Yeah, and no one was around to stop your or make you feel terrible about it!

I am completely shocked Gill and Kelly are allowing this. But the fact that they admitted Zach kissed Whitney before marriage makes me think they really do allow their children to have some say so in their courting practices. So Carlin is at the enagagement level. They will not stop her from a dance because she will be on her own soon. Interesting, indeed.

Also, after Michaela bold stance it seems like all the courters added hugging with no problem. I will say Gilly Jo are smart in that they at least appear to learn from parenting mistakes. I wonder if the same can be said for the Duggars.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

They have shown Mama Jane on the show ribbing them about dancing. 2 instances I recall were when she got Nathan to dance with her and when they had that dress like an old person party. She came in with her high school outfit and announced she was going to dance later. Maybe she has helped them ease up. I suspect that Gil and Kelly are “forced” into changing once they realize their kids do grow up and they can’t control everything. They did not “let” Zach and Whitney kiss before marriage, they confessed it to them and the Bates forgave them. (It is SO WEIRD to type that out like it is a normal situation)

Erin posted a cute video of Carson dancing to The Bee Gees a few years ago, Trace was learning to dance for the Dixieland tryout and now Carlin. At this rate I fret Callie will become a Rockette. ?

• Upvote 17

On 1/23/2019 at 8:57 PM, backyard sylph said:

David danced.

That sounds like a lot of work. We have fourteen plants in our flat (actually got up to count them) and all I do is watering them, sometimes fertilise (about once a year when I remember it) and get them new soil and bigger pots when they have outgrown their current ones. I only dust the two plants with huge leaves. They are all absolutely fine. I definitely wouldn’t have as many plants if I would put that much work into it.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:57 PM, backyard sylph said:

David danced.

That sounds like a lot of work. We have fourteen plants in our flat (actually got up to count them) and all I do is watering them (once a week if they are lucky), sometimes fertilise (about once a year when I remember it) and get them new soil and bigger pots when they have outgrown their current ones. I only dust the two plants with huge leaves. They are all absolutely fine. I definitely wouldn’t have as many plants if I would put that much work into it.

Especially my orchids seem to flourish under serious neglect. One is constantly blooming. It’s getting rather ridiculous now. For seven years it’s always blooming or already bringing out new buds while the old flowers are just falling of.

FFBA0560-A02C-4EA7-BE16-428782B7FFAE.jpeg

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

That sounds like a lot of work. We have fourteen plants in our flat (actually got up to count them) and all I do is watering them (once a week if they are lucky), sometimes fertilise (about once a year when I remember it) and get them new soil and bigger pots when they have outgrown their current ones. I only dust the two plants with huge leaves. They are all absolutely fine. I definitely wouldn’t have as many plants if I would put that much work into it.

It's not a lot of work. It's a little weekly maintenance, or less often, depending on the plant itself, the house a person lives in, which climatological region that house is in, and so forth. I do not do the exact same things to the peace ivy that I do to the begonia or the calla lily or the aloe veras, etc. But none of them require much effort.

My point is that people who call plastic plants dustcatchers are not thinking about how they require nothing except occasional dusting, unlike live plants, which also require that on occasion, and a little bit more.

• Upvote 2

I just don't like plants. Some people don't. I have crazy allergies and smell sensitivities. Plants or even fake plants have never been part of my life. Even if low maintenance. I just don't need or want them.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2019 at 2:57 PM, backyard sylph said:

David danced.

Guess it's been a while since I've thought about Biblical David because when I read this, I was like, "Why is David Rodrigues being brought up in this thread?"

• Haha 18
  • I Agree 2

17 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I just don't like plants. Some people don't. I have crazy allergies and smell sensitivities. Plants or even fake plants have never been part of my life. Even if low maintenance. I just don't need or want them.

I think that's just fine, myself. And fake plants used to be very fake-looking unless you paid insane prices for them, so I always questioned the joy they brought anybody, but then of course, everyone is different in that respect. They're nicer now, though, for people who do want them as very low-maintenance additions to their decor.

19 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Guess it's been a while since I've thought about Biblical David because when I read this, I was like, "Why is David Rodrigues being brought up in this thread?"

I was sitting here trying to picture David Waller dancing ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic