IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 4: In Case Anyone Forgot, Carlin Is ENGAGED Y'all

HerNameIsBuffy

Come on Carlin, you can do better than Butterfly Kisses. You’re too bold and bouncy for that darn song. (And I’m sorry to say she’s kind of my pet fundie, I love her theatre major persona)

I will accept ‘Man I feel like a woman’ or ‘bohemian rhapsody’ as appropriately Carlin-y enough songs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

According to Carlin's latest Instagram post (for Gil's birthday), she's having a father daughter dance at her wedding.

When did dancing become acceptable with the Bates? 

And does this mean they're having a proper reception, with tables and seating and all those fancy things?

It became ok since it became inconvenient for them to appear so different from everyone else. Gil and Kelly are opportunistic like that - deny the kids choices like this until it becomes bad PR.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

No dancing is a another trend that has fallen out of favor along with frumpers and strict courtship. The church I got married in banned all dancing at the time but now dancing is allowed. Even Jill Rod is okay with dancing. 

And at this point I think Gil and Kelly are pretty much checked out when it comes to their kids. They keep up appearances for the show, but they spend a lot of time with IBLP trying to revamp it to make it seem less crazy. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

26 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

This will be the first Bates or Duggar wedding with actual dancing right?

I could have sworn another Bates daughter (or maybe someone peripherally connected to them?) had a first dance at her wedding. At least, I remember us talking about it and wondering if they were allowed to dance once married. 

BTW, if there's going to be a father/daughter dance, there's probably going to be a first dance. I'm betting it's going to be one of those super over-the-top mashup dances. What's the over/under on them doing the Dirty Dancing lift? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

I remember Kelly tying herself in a knot attempting to justify Trace learning to dance so he could tryout for the Dixie Stampede show.  It was ridiculous. Zach was shocked and incredulous when he heard about it!  

• Upvote 18

It would be fascinating to see the Bates rules evolve on dancing at weddings. Should only married couples be allowed to dance? What about courting or engaged?  Will Bates maidens only be allowed to dance with a dad or brother?

Do older Bates like Erin even know how to dance?

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

It would be fascinating to see the Bates rules evolve on dancing at weddings. Should only married couples be allowed to dance? What about courting or engaged?  Will Bates maidens only be allowed to dance with a dad or brother?

Do older Bates like Erin even know how to dance?

Since it seems they've abandoned the "moving to music is unseemly" principle, the only objection they have left would be modesty. And after that photo of Evan's hand basically on Carlin's butt, I don't know how they could really object to the more chaste touching involved in a traditional dance hold. 

I don't think we'll see Katie twerking in a club anytime soon, but I think they'll be like most conservative Christians and be fine with classic slow dancing between married/engaged couples and family members, and silly group dances like Cotton Eye Joe or the Cha Cha Slide.

The no dancing rule was always really weird to me. Like, you can be completely naked with your spouse and have sex with them, but can't waltz together fully clothed? How does that work?

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

No dancing is a another trend that has fallen out of favor along with frumpers and strict courtship. The church I got married in banned all dancing at the time but now dancing is allowed. Even Jill Rod is okay with dancing. 

And at this point I think Gil and Kelly are pretty much checked out when it comes to their kids. They keep up appearances for the show, but they spend a lot of time with IBLP trying to revamp it to make it seem less crazy. 

I admit, all the changes over the years in fundie land are pretty amazing if you look at all of them together. 

Think about it. If someone had said that in 10 years, frumpers would be almost completely gone, no touch courtships would be completely out of fashion, women wearing pants would be no big deal, nose rings and tattoos would be in the Duggar family,  dancing would be allowed, wouldn’t you have been pretty surprised? I think because it’s been so slow we are all pretty meh about it. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 6

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Since it seems they've abandoned the "moving to music is unseemly" principle, the only objection they have left would be modesty. And after that photo of Evan's hand basically on Carlin's butt, I don't know how they could really object to the more chaste touching involved in a traditional dance hold. 

I don't think we'll see Katie twerking in a club anytime soon, but I think they'll be like most conservative Christians and be fine with classic slow dancing between married/engaged couples and family members, and silly group dances like Cotton Eye Joe or the Cha Cha Slide.

The no dancing rule was always really weird to me. Like, you can be completely naked with your spouse and have sex with them, but can't waltz together fully clothed? How does that work?

With dancing, I think I read on here once that it wasn’t ok in public, but it was ok to dance in private. So if a married couple wanted to slow dance in their bedroom it’d be ok, but dancing at a wedding wouldn’t be. I think the reasoning was something about how it would be defrauding to other people, not to the couple themselves. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

With dancing, I think I read on here once that it wasn’t ok in public, but it was ok to dance in private. So if a married couple wanted to slow dance in their bedroom it’d be ok, but dancing at a wedding wouldn’t be. I think the reasoning was something about how it would be defrauding to other people, not to the couple themselves. 

Yes, I think I remember JB and Michelle saying it was ok for them to dance together in private. Which is dumb AF since they hump  on mini golf courses. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 24
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Like, you can be completely naked with your spouse and have sex with them, but can't waltz together fully clothed? How does that work?

well, I've done one of those things and never the other.

I won't say which...but I may be a fundy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, victoriasponge said:

Come on Carlin, you can do better than Butterfly Kisses. You’re too bold and bouncy for that darn song. (And I’m sorry to say she’s kind of my pet fundie, I love her theatre major persona)

I will accept ‘Man I feel like a woman’ or ‘bohemian rhapsody’ as appropriately Carlin-y enough songs. 

I half find her superfuckingannoying, half actually kinda love the way she is many things that a woman is not "supposed to be" in her culture. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Translation: One time Gothard got a boner during the Shall We Dance scene in The King and I. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

Does anyone else when watching her with Evan's parents (I'm thinking specifically in this last episode that aired last night) think that they don't really like her that much?  They're not really all that enthusiastic that she's there. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, BeccaGrim said:

Does anyone else when watching her with Evan's parents (I'm thinking specifically in this last episode that aired last night) think that they don't really like her that much?  They're not really all that enthusiastic that she's there. 

I don’t know if I’d go that far, however I REALLY noticed when Evan’s dad said something about getting engaged later or in the future. When they first met he was already talking about them getting married...

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

When Evan was talking to Gil, it seemed like Gil really wanted to give his blessing for engagement, but in the future. The impression I got Is that  he thinks they are right for each other but that waiting would be good. But we know that’s not happening. 

Edited by mstee
  • Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, mstee said:

When Evan was talking to Gil, it seemed like Gil really wanted to give his blessing for engagement, but in the future. The impression I got Is that  he thinks they are right for each other but that waiting would be good. But we know that’s not happening. 

Maybe the longer engagement was a way to compromise? By the time they marry they’ll have been engaged for eight months. Her siblings have all had much shorter engagements:

Zach: about three months

Michael: a little over four months

Erin: about three months

Alyssa: a little less than four months

Tori: about three months

Josie: about three and a half months

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 2

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Maybe the longer engagement was a way to compromise? By the time they marry they’ll have been engaged for eight months. Her siblings have all had much shorter engagements:

Zach: about three months

Michael: a little over four months

Erin: about three months

Alyssa: a little less than four months

Tori: about three months

Josie: about three and a half months

That’s possible. It may have come to: “you all can get engaged whenever you want, but the wedding won’t happen before May.”

• Upvote 4

I just want them married and off the show. Of course they'll be followed by the cameras in Nashville or wherever... And yes, I know I could quit watching the show... but how do you avert your eyes from a wreck? I can't help myself.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:55 AM, nausicaa said:

I could have sworn another Bates daughter (or maybe someone peripherally connected to them?) had a first dance at her wedding. At least, I remember us talking about it and wondering if they were allowed to dance once married. 

BTW, if there's going to be a father/daughter dance, there's probably going to be a first dance. I'm betting it's going to be one of those super over-the-top mashup dances. What's the over/under on them doing the Dirty Dancing lift? 

I think it was Zach and Whitney, I remember on the old Bates blog Kelly explaining that the couple danced privately on their wedding night, but not at the reception. But looking at Whits vow renewal I bet she would have loved to have done a real first dance at the reception.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Apologies if its already been posted, but their first wedding registry is up --Target--at https://registry.theknot.com/carlin-bates-evan-stewart-may-2019-tn/31154367

[Carlin had mentioned in an Insta comment last week that she was working on it.}

Don't adjust your screen. Her registry really is that monocromatic.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Apologies if its already been posted, but their first wedding registry is up --Target--at https://registry.theknot.com/carlin-bates-evan-stewart-may-2019-tn/31154367

[Carlin had mentioned in an Insta comment last week that she was working on it.}

Don't adjust your screen. Her registry really is that monocromatic.

Josie’s was pretty monochromatic too. I guess I can’t blame them. Whites, grays, and black are pretty in right now when it comes to home colors. And if they keep it fairly neutral, maybe they will keep the stuff longer. For example, if everything they register for is fire engine red and they get tired of it, they have to replace all the red stuff even if it’s still functioning well. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic