IGNORED

Steve Jobs: The poster child for adoption

MerryHappy

daughterofsarah.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/steve-jobs-a-choice-well-made/

Steve Jobs was an unwanted pregnancy.

Steve Jobs’ mother chose adoption

(p.s. Steve’s life may have been saved by the fact that abortion was illegal)

Steve Jobs, unwanted pregnancy, lived 56 years and changed the world.

Steve Jobs is dead.

WANTED: Steve Jobs II

ATTN: Mothers, please refrain from killing your children until this position is filled.

K thx.

*sigh*

So I went to go look Steve Jobs up on wikipedia after reading this thread (mostly because I was curious about his personal life which I know nothing about) and wow, seven years is a really, really long time to live with pancreatic cancer. He was a really lucky man.

Also, fundies are dumb. The same argument could be made that if we wanted to fill Steve Jobs place in the world we should encourage cancer research (or any number of things), but fundies are dumb anti-choice simple minded beings, so I supposed this is what we should expect from them.

Such a contradiction from fundies.

On one hand, they are attempting to out breed the ebil Muslims.

On the other, they are applauding someone for having a child with a Muslim man (which SJ's biological father was.)

Go figure.

Maybe if abortion had been legal, Steve Jobs wouldn't exist but his mother would have gone on to be an innovator. Oh that's right, women are never valuable for anything other than producing boys who could go on to do something good.

And it's too bad Hitler's mom couldn't have an abortion. Just saying.

So I went to go look Steve Jobs up on wikipedia after reading this thread (mostly because I was curious about his personal life which I know nothing about) and wow, seven years is a really, really long time to live with pancreatic cancer. He was a really lucky man.

Also, fundies are dumb. The same argument could be made that if we wanted to fill Steve Jobs place in the world we should encourage cancer research (or any number of things), but fundies are dumb anti-choice simple minded beings, so I supposed this is what we should expect from them.

He did not have adenocarcinoma which is the really aggresive kind. The kind he had was actually, really curable with a Whipple procedure and if there were cells that metastitizeed a liver transplant.

If he had adenocarcinoma he would not have been a candidate for the liver transplant. (Which he did here in Memphis)

Maybe if abortion had been legal, Steve Jobs wouldn't exist but his mother would have gone on to be an innovator. Oh that's right, women are never valuable for anything other than producing boys who could go on to do something good.

His mother and father were quite successful and his biological sister is an author.

My understanding was that his biological mother's parents were uber-Christian who would not allow their daughter to marry an Arab Muslim.

The couple eventually did marry, though, but the biological dad abandoned his biological mother and sister after a few years. I also heard Steve Jobs refused to speak to or have contact with his biological father.

I don't think this is exactly an ode to adoption, it's just complicated family stuff.

How dopey. I am an adoptive mom, but even I can acknowledge the fallacy in this. Just find a serial killer/Wall Street robber baron/war criminal who was adopted, and reverse the argument. Please, moms, abort your children to save us from the likes of them. :roll:

Oh good Lord.

I am a proud adoptive mama, but I still believe in a woman's right to choose what she does with her body.

Phallusy.

A uber-Catholic conservative FB friend posted this stupid argument on FB. I think it is tacky to use Steve Jobs's death to push the pro-life agenda, but I'm not surprised they are doing it.

He did not have adenocarcinoma which is the really aggresive kind. The kind he had was actually, really curable with a Whipple procedure and if there were cells that metastasised a liver transplant.

If he had adenocarcinoma he would not have been a candidate for the liver transplant. (Which he did here in Memphis)

He had a neuroendocrine tumor, which can occur in the pancreas or elsewhere in the GI tract. It is a non-aggressive tumor which grows very slowly. Many patients with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas, which is aggressive, were upset when he got a liver transplant, not understanding that it isn't an option for regular pancreatic cancer. Steve Jobs was the sickest patient on the liver transplant list and there was a liver that was a match, thus he got the liver. It had nothing to do with who he was, Many people with his kind of cancer live much longer than he did.

He will be missed in the world of technology. Apple products are so superior to PCs and IBM products.

Oooooo, I want to play this game:

Ted Bundy was an unwanted pregnancy.

Ted Bundy's unwed mother chose to have her baby and let her parents raise him

(p.s. He was raised thinking his grandparents were his parents and his mother was his sister)

Ted Bundy, unwanted pregnancy, lived 42 years and took the lives of at least 30 women.

Ted Bundy is dead.

WANTED: Never to have another Ted Bundy.

ATTN: Mothers, please abort your children so we may never have another serial killer.

K thx.

Um... isn't his biological mother quite rich now, and through nothing to do with Steve Jobs?

And forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this, but did you seriously just suggest that Steve Jobs should have been aborted so his mother could have been successful? Seriously? You don't think that's kind of... oh, I don't know... well, absolutely vile?

Seriously, the pro-lifers using this man's death for their own gain are awful, but the pro-choicers are just as bad.

Um... isn't his biological mother quite rich now, and through nothing to do with Steve Jobs?

And forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this, but did you seriously just suggest that Steve Jobs should have been aborted so his mother could have been successful? Seriously? You don't think that's kind of... oh, I don't know... well, absolutely vile?

Seriously, the pro-lifers using this man's death for their own gain are awful, but the pro-choicers are just as bad.

The idea that women should always terminate pregnancies because having kids will hurt their chances at brilliance is absurd.

The idea that women should never terminate pregnancies because their offspring might grow up to be brilliant is equally nonsensical.

I think bananacat is right to make the point that the latter argument may seem more sound than the former if one accepts the unstated premise that male offspring are intrinsically more capable of doing brilliant things than are their female parents.

But s/he didn't phrase it that way- s/he said "Maybe if abortion had been legal, Steve Jobs wouldn't exist but his mother would have gone on to be an innovator." To be frank, if someone said that to me IRL, their face would probably be getting quite well acquainted with my fist. It is not OK to say an existing person should have been aborted. To say something like that is simply beyond the pale. I'm pretty hard to offend (years of lurking around the darker parts of the Internet will do that to you), but I'm literally shaking with barely suppressed rage right now.

To say that a person should have been aborted, when they went on to become a successful, productive member of society is pretty much tantamount to saying that someone should have shot them. The individual in question was not aborted, and that is what matters. Saying that they should have been is disgusting.

But s/he didn't phrase it that way- s/he said "Maybe if abortion had been legal, Steve Jobs wouldn't exist but his mother would have gone on to be an innovator." To be frank, if someone said that to me IRL, their face would probably be getting quite well acquainted with my fist. It is not OK to say an existing person should have been aborted. To say something like that is simply beyond the pale. I'm pretty hard to offend (years of lurking around the darker parts of the Internet will do that to you), but I'm literally shaking with barely suppressed rage right now.

To say that a person should have been aborted, when they went on to become a successful, productive member of society is pretty much tantamount to saying that someone should have shot them. The individual in question was not aborted, and that is what matters. Saying that they should have been is disgusting.

have fun with your rage fit while you ignore what actually meant, even after it was explained to you.

I guess I don't get how Jobs not wanting to contact his bio father is a black mark against him. Just in general, I don't know why the adopted child, even as an adult, should feel that they need to have contact with the bio parents. If they have curiosity or whatever, then fine, but I know there are some people don't.

I only contacted my bio dad last year, even though I knew how to find him for a very long time before that. The only reason I contacted him at all is because I was diagnosed with a scary illness, and I didn't have medical info from that side of the family. I have not continued the relationship. I really don't have any feelings one way or the other, beyond wishing him the best.

And as far as his views on adoption, as an adopted child, I think he has a right to them. I'm sure he had his own reasons. Because he didn't support this or that adoption initiative doesn't make him wrong. His experiences were his own and it's not for others to judge IMO. Just because some people feel a certain way doesn't mean that everyone does.

have fun with your rage fit while you ignore what actually meant, even after it was explained to you.

That was Oscar's interpretation and you know it. But maybe you just can't see it from any other perspective. I have read bananacat's post over and over again, and I cannot get any different interpretation from it, even when I try to apply Oscar's explanation to it.

And now I'm going to bow out of this thread for the night before I say something I will regret. This is a topic that hits close to home.

Give me a break! You have willfully, intentionally, misinterpreted what I said to make some kind of self-righteous point. And you love your high horse so much that you pretend to misunderstand me even after it has been explained to you.

I find it hard to believe you lurk around the dark parts of the internet and "your mother should have aborted you" insults (not that that's at all what bananacat was implying) make you shake with rage. You should be used to them, they're thrown around a lot. It's really a nonsensical insult because, well, we don't have time machines! Our mother can't go back in time to abort us.

That was Oscar's interpretation and you know it. But maybe you just can't see it from any other perspective. I have read bananacat's post over and over again, and I cannot get any different interpretation from it, even when I try to apply Oscar's explanation to it.

And now I'm going to bow out of this thread for the night before I say something I will regret. This is a topic that hits close to home.

No, I think you're just enjoying having a freak out. No one said Steve Jobs should have been killed, no one actually even said he should have been aborted, just that if women had control over their reproductive decisions at an earlier point, the outcome for the person now known as Steve and his biological mother might have been different. Selective reading for the win! *but I mean, you also think you could raise a gay foster child while hating gay people, soooo*

The ridiculous argument that women should have to carry every fertilized egg to term because the offspring might be superamazing human beings doesn't allow for the idea that a woman might be a superamazing human being, regardless of her reproductive status, and feeds into the idea that producing more babies is the only thing women are good for, not for their own individual contributions to society outside of babymaking. That's what really itches me over this whole stupid thing.

Give me a break! You have willfully, intentionally, misinterpreted what I said to make some kind of self-righteous point. And you love your high horse so much that you pretend to misunderstand me even after it has been explained to you.

So that was your point. Alright. Fair enough. I misinterpreted it, but it was certainly not intentional.

This is a topic that hits very close to home, and it's difficult for me to parse out someone intentionally being an asshole and someone making a legitimate point. I'm also very emotional tonight (for different reasons) and it's kind of hard for me to think rationally at the moment. I don't expect you to accept this, though.

I find it hard to believe you lurk around the dark parts of the internet and a "your mother should have aborted you" insults (not that that's at all what bananacat was implying) make you shake with rage. You should be used to them, they're thrown around a lot. It's really a nonsensical insult because, well, we don't have time machines! Our mother can't go back in time to abort us.

No, you're right. I'm kind of overly sensitive this evening, for reasons not even relating to this. I'm taking things the wrong way, and I'm sorry for that.

Archived