IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 2: Divorce? What Divorce?

VaSportsMom

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Pathologic Antagonist said:

discussing the ongoing social trends that seem to indicate how civilization is becoming an eroded and defiling place more and more. Yes, it is a beautiful world as well .. but only by getting a grip on the darkness of human nature that mundanely coopts our existence can we dare to really say what might be beauty and what might be ugly.

I tend to lean towards the doom and gloom side of things. Whenever I turn into Eeyore despair in the politics forum @fraurosena comes to be my personal Pollyanna and cheer me up. But I do want to point out that the world may seem dim at times, but civilization really isn't falling to pieces. Even in the world of fundies, Gothard has been taken down, IBLP is crumbling, Doug Phillips the Tool watched his empire collapse, even Gwen here is not able to easily hide her little secrets anymore. 

So I hope you help your Facebook group see that while life might seem bad at times, things are a hell of a lot better than they were in the past! 

The days of people like Gwen, Gothard and Phillips being able to quietly shove all the skeletons in their closets is pretty much gone. People have a platform now to speak out and to see these things. Gwen may try her bests but her lies and hypocrisy will be out there for the world to see. 

Everytime I think about this woman, the song "Delta Dawn" comes to mind.

"Delta Dawn, what's that flower you have on?
Could it be a faded rose from days gone by?
And did I hear you say he was a-meeting you here today
To take you to his mansion in the sky?"

Or, it could just be the cardboardeaux talking.

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

So I hope you help your Facebook group see that while life might seem bad at times, things are a hell of a lot better than they were in the past! 

The days of people like Gwen, Gothard and Phillips being able to quietly shove all the skeletons in their closets is pretty much gone. People have a platform now to speak out and to see these things. Gwen may try her bests but her lies and hypocrisy will be out there for the world to see. 

Thank you, @formergothardite, not only for your kind words, but also for getting me out of the Politics threads, which I really need to do more often. :wink-kitty:

You are right. The days that these cult-leaders can so easily mislead and take (monetary) advantage of god fearing people are ending. They always try to limit access to knowledge (hence limited or no education) but we are living in times that there simply is nowhere for them to hide from internet exposure. Their attempts to extoll the evils of watching television or listening to the radio used to work by telling their followers not to have tv's and radio's. But they can't tell people not to have computers and phones, to keep them from surfing the interwebs, as they themselves need this medium to sell their religious shite and -- more importantly -- grift as much as they can. So their power to completely control their following is inexorably waning and will eventually dwindle into nothingness.

5 hours ago, fraurosena said:

But they can't tell people not to have computers and phones, to keep them from surfing the interwebs,

And they can't ban their followers from reading websites in secret. Gothard lamented this fact at one time. I'm sure Gwen wishes she could ban everyone from reading these threads. If her followers read this and see the papers that show she filed for divorce and then see her standing up there lying about it, some little seeds of doubt have to be planted in their minds. Any RF folks reading this thread, think about why she is lying. That is a sin, and she is doing it. If she lies about this, she is lying about a whole lot of other stuff. 

People like Gwen really can't operate successfully if they can't control all the info. The days of being able to control info are gone. 

It is easy to think the world is headed to hell in a hand basket when we hear constant stories about rampant abuse in churches and evangelicals in general being pretty okay with whatever awful stuff happens as long as they also get to oppress groups they don't like, but all this stuff is being put out in the open now. This sort of stuff always went on, but now we are hearing about it and while it is difficult to hear these stories, the only solution is to shine a light on the darkness. 

The internet isn't always awesome, but it did help create a world where the Gwens of life can't hide their shit for long. 

i'm finding Gwen and David's divorce decree here:  https://islidedocs.net/view-doc.html?utm_source=gwen-shamblin-divorce-final-decree-of-divorce

I did not download the pdf - I'm always a little cautious about downloading pdfs from unknown sources but maybe someone more computer savvy than me and figure out if it is safe to download, or to capture it in some other way. 

20 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

Everytime I think about this woman, the song "Delta Dawn" comes to mind.

"Delta Dawn, what's that flower you have on?
Could it be a faded rose from days gone by?
And did I hear you say he was a-meeting you here today
To take you to his mansion in the sky?"

Or, it could just be the cardboardeaux talking.

Oh no - now it's stuck in my head!

Off topic and hair related: Am I missing something or is big hair making a fashion comeback? If so, as a thin-haired wispy girl, I am in trouble. I’ve spotted it on other celebrities lately.

A bit off topic, but can anyone offer some tips on how I can get just a fraction of the “bump” volume? I’ve heard teasing the hair breaks it and damage so it? I’m very genuine here. I need to get some volume, at least a little. 

So am a little disappointed to know that Lipscomb University has a theater named after Gwen Shamblin(Shamblin Theater) and rumor has it, it was an attempt for her to hide money. I've lost all respect for Lipscomb university now. Also noticed Gwen is attempting to be a Dave Ramsey and her new money venture is getting out of debt. 

http://www.weighdown.com/weighdown-tv/the-impact-of-one-changed-life/

I am all about being debt free, but seems a little hypocritical considering the types of parties and weddings and luxury lifestyles they live and how some of those people did not purchase their homes without help from her pocketbook somehow. If you can't afford a home on your own, then you don't need it. But its all smoke and mirrors I guess and the way to respect someone in that church is with the illusion of money. 

So with the prison ministry and all, would they be so careful as to not allow ex-prisoners with rap sheets that directly conflicted with them being around children to become members? 

16 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Off topic and hair related: Am I missing something or is big hair making a fashion comeback? If so, as a thin-haired wispy girl, I am in trouble. I’ve spotted it on other celebrities lately.

A bit off topic, but can anyone offer some tips on how I can get just a fraction of the “bump” volume? I’ve heard teasing the hair breaks it and damage so it? I’m very genuine here. I need to get some volume, at least a little. 

Salt Spray (I use Verb, because it's gluten-free and not tested on animals. When celiac and C-PTSD combine, things get expensive) I also use a leave-in mist after a shower (at night), and go to bed with wet hair. I use their shampoo and conditioner every other day or so. Do not use dry shampoo, since it plugs up hair follicles and causes hair to fall out. Oh, and get a short haircut. Mine looks like this: 

image.png.9b529fd018cdb2b735252c0bc175b999.png

6 hours ago, SJWaterford said:

So am a little disappointed to know that Lipscomb University has a theater named after Gwen Shamblin(Shamblin Theater) and rumor has it, it was an attempt for her to hide money. I've lost all respect for Lipscomb university now. Also noticed Gwen is attempting to be a Dave Ramsey and her new money venture is getting out of debt. 

http://www.weighdown.com/weighdown-tv/the-impact-of-one-changed-life/

I am all about being debt free, but seems a little hypocritical considering the types of parties and weddings and luxury lifestyles they live and how some of those people did not purchase their homes without help from her pocketbook somehow.

It looks like Gwen’s relationship with that school dates back at least 20 years. And I believe her children went to school there. I don’t know when the theater was built. The school gave her an award in 1998 (see spoiler)— that’s before the church was fully formed, and before the Trininity controversy and the cult accusations. But, it doesn't appear that the church/Remnant have a strong relationship at this point. It doesn’t seem like many Remnant students go there, and most who stay close to home choose MTSU?

Spoiler

From an old article online: The April 1998 issue of The Lipscomb News reveals that "Lipscomb University has chosen Gwen Shamblin...as its ‘Christian Business Leader of the Year’ for 1998." Lipscomb President, Stephen F. Flatt, referred to Shamblin as "a remarkable lady," stating that the choice of Shamblin for the honor was based on three criteria. Those criteria were stated as follows:
"First, her life exemplifies a dedicated and consistent walk with Christ. Second, her business, the Weigh Down Workshop, is more ministry than industry. Third, the phenomenal success of Weigh Down Workshop is attributable to the direct blessing of God and Gwen’s present stewardship of the abilities and talents He has given her," Flatt said.

Yes, Gwen who lives in an elegantly appointed mansion and who has a multi-million-dollar beach house, multiple cars, a boat, properties galore and millions in her various accounts, has preached on and off about the evils of overspending, greed and debt. The irony doesn’t stop there. She introduced a Greed Exposure classs last year — and those who really need to save money can pay $25 per month to watch it (for a whole year,  because people who sign up cannot cancel their All Access memberships for a year)!

Also noticed Gwen is attempting to be a Dave Ramsey and her new money venture is getting out of debt. 

Gwen does believe that he stole her ideas with regards to finance and has not given credit where it is due (her). The crazy never ends.

48 minutes ago, BeyondtheLookingGlass said:

Gwen does believe that he stole her ideas with regards to finance and has not given credit where it is due (her). The crazy never ends.

That’s rich (pardon the pun)! That must eat her up regularly then because she probably has to drive by his studio/headquarters often! It’s right there in the Brentwood area too. I recall passing it while visiting.

Gwen did have a complex about being copied. I remember her years ago speaking out about Weight Watchers once for using a green apple on their materials, claiming they stole it from her (the Weigh Down Basics materials have a green apple). As if Gwen herself  invented the apple!

Lipscomb University has a theater named after Gwen Shamblin(Shamblin Theater)

Interesting!  Lipscomb University is on one of my usual walk routes, so I'll have to check it out when I'm back there in a couple weeks.  I wonder if Lipscomb is having second thoughts about the naming of the building after 20 years and her subsequent shenanigans. 

On another topic.  When I saw this bit of info on Lipscomb, I mentioned it to my husband.  Me:  "Remember the cult I was talking about, with the high hair and diet worship?"  Husband:  "Oh, sure.  I guess that actually worked out well when her two daughters were able to escape through the car windows."  Me:  "Well...lol...that's actually another one..."*

*(We have another thread on fundie Jill Rodrigues who has poufy hair, pushes Plexus, and credits her daughters' slimness for surviving a scary car accident.)

7 hours ago, SJWaterford said:

Also noticed Gwen is attempting to be a Dave Ramsey and her new money venture is getting out of debt. 

Dave Ramsey has made a crap ton of money off of common sense. 

Don't go into debt.  If you are in debt, pay it off. 

Use cash.  "Act your wage."

This is common sense, yet he is (much) richer for broadcasting it to people who don't understand money.

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

Dave Ramsey has made a crap ton of money off of common sense. 

I used to read Dave Ramsey's column in the newspaper way back when, until he answered a letter in a way that really pissed me off. The young man was complaining that his parents let his college-aged sister live at home rent free while she was not going to school, working, or doing very much of anything. Mr. Ramsey's solution was that the parents should pack her a small bag and drop her off at the local homeless shelter with the admonition that this is where people who won't work end up.

It really angered me on many levels. I lived at my parent's house until I was 21, and I had periods where I wasn't working or going to school. Because I was clinically depressed! Unless Dave asked about the young woman's mental health, got an answer, and it wasn't included in the column, how could he know that she wasn't unable to work because of a mental illness? What Would Jesus Do? According to Dave, throw people out of the house as soon as they aren't contributing to the household budget. Plus, that's a great way to overtax a shelter that may already be stretched trying to help people who have nowhere else to turn.

I understand that some folks need boundaries set and deadlines to motivate them. But, to me, it goes:

1. Get her a physical/check up. Make sure there's no physical reason for her lethargy. 
  2. Take her to see a therapist. Have an assessment of her mental state. 
  3. Then, start making requirements for staying at home. X number of job applications filled out every week or something similar.

Sorry for the long rant. I guess this one has been bugging me for a few years. :pb_redface:

6 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I used to read Dave Ramsey's column in the newspaper way back when, until he answered a letter in a way that really pissed me off. The young man was complaining that his parents let his college-aged sister live at home rent free while she was not going to school, working, or doing very much of anything. Mr. Ramsey's solution was that the parents should pack her a small bag and drop her off at the local homeless shelter with the admonition that this is where people who won't work end up.

It really angered me on many levels. I lived at my parent's house until I was 21, and I had periods where I wasn't working or going to school. Because I was clinically depressed! Unless Dave asked about the young woman's mental health, got an answer, and it wasn't included in the column, how could he know that she wasn't unable to work because of a mental illness? What Would Jesus Do? According to Dave, throw people out of the house as soon as they aren't contributing to the household budget. Plus, that's a great way to overtax a shelter that may already be stretched trying to help people who have nowhere else to turn.

I understand that some folks need boundaries set and deadlines to motivate them. But, to me, it goes:

1. Get her a physical/check up. Make sure there's no physical reason for her lethargy. 
  2. Take her to see a therapist. Have an assessment of her mental state. 
  3. Then, start making requirements for staying at home. X number of job applications filled out every week or something similar.

Sorry for the long rant. I guess this one has been bugging me for a few years. :pb_redface:

I credit him for getting me and my husband on the same page about our finances. But I too stopped listening to him on the radio when he started getting snarky and kind of unfeeling(prob old age). 

9 hours ago, sajetime said:

It looks like Gwen’s relationship with that school dates back at least 20 years. And I believe her children went to school there. I don’t know when the theater was built. The school gave her an award in 1998 (see spoiler)— that’s before the church was fully formed, and before the Trininity controversy and the cult accusations. But, it doesn't appear that the church/Remnant have a strong relationship at this point. It doesn’t seem like many Remnant students go there, and most who stay close to home choose MTSU?

Reveal hidden contents

From an old article online: The April 1998 issue of The Lipscomb News reveals that "Lipscomb University has chosen Gwen Shamblin...as its ‘Christian Business Leader of the Year’ for 1998." Lipscomb President, Stephen F. Flatt, referred to Shamblin as "a remarkable lady," stating that the choice of Shamblin for the honor was based on three criteria. Those criteria were stated as follows:
"First, her life exemplifies a dedicated and consistent walk with Christ. Second, her business, the Weigh Down Workshop, is more ministry than industry. Third, the phenomenal success of Weigh Down Workshop is attributable to the direct blessing of God and Gwen’s present stewardship of the abilities and talents He has given her," Flatt said.

Yes, Gwen who lives in an elegantly appointed mansion and who has a multi-million-dollar beach house, multiple cars, a boat, properties galore and millions in her various accounts, has preached on and off about the evils of overspending, greed and debt. The irony doesn’t stop there. She introduced a Greed Exposure classs last year — and those who really need to save money can pay $25 per month to watch it (for a whole year,  because people who sign up cannot cancel their All Access memberships for a year)!

Well I can attest to the MTSU thing. My child emphatically did not want to go there until the horny boy in the cult got ahold of her. I know there is at least one member who is a professor there. And they have a creepy campus club. 

How could a non-profit prohibit anyone from canceling a membership? Seems like that would be a contradiction in helping people. Even the gym and Fabletics lets me cancel my membership whenever I want(they make it difficult as hell but I can). The IRS could have a heyday I think on so many levels of wrong in this whole situation. 

8 hours ago, sajetime said:

That’s rich (pardon the pun)! That must eat her up regularly then because she probably has to drive by his studio/headquarters often! It’s right there in the Brentwood area too. I recall passing it while visiting.

Gwen did have a complex about being copied. I remember her years ago speaking out about Weight Watchers once for using a green apple on their materials, claiming they stole it from her (the Weigh Down Basics materials have a green apple). As if Gwen herself  invented the apple!

If she has a complex about being copied, I saw several woman at the courthouse with her whose hair was aspiring to be like Gwen's! And I walked into a car maintenance place and the woman at the desk looked Gwen-like and so I knew they had to be buddies(I already knew they were Remnant before I walked in).  LOL   And looks like she and Joe copied the Day's in regards to the black Tesla. 

If you think any 501(c) type organization is not following the rules for their type of designation, I suggest you make a report to the IRS.  It's quite simple and they do look into allegations.   You can do it anonymously, I'm pretty sure, but I wanted a follow up letter, so gave them my name and address the time I reported a 501(c) organization for not following proper guidelines.

I know they investigated and took action because the group I reported had to change their by-laws and stop the practice they were doing that was in violation.

Lest anyone think I am just a shit stirrer, when I discovered that the group was in violation, I told them (several times) about the violation and exactly how they were violating it.  They refused to do anything and thought they were above the law, so I reported them.   I was open about the fact that if nothing changed I would report them so it was all on them for not acting. 

I regret nothing and sleep just fine.

1 hour ago, SJWaterford said:

ow could a non-profit prohibit anyone from canceling a membership? Seems like that would be a contradiction in helping people. Even the gym and Fabletics lets me cancel my membership whenever I want(they make it difficult as hell but I can). The IRS could have a heyday I think on so many levels of wrong in this whole situation. 

It says there is no cancellation policy for All Access. Then it goes on to say one can pay a $99 fee to break the annual contract. This is fairly new — it used to be a monthly contract, cancel anytime ... because “ministry.”

So is Gwen really trying to help people with their finances or just help her own?

104B0460-EA11-4413-A65F-A7C63E16D8D9.jpeg

Gwen's weight loss strategy is nothing new. Thin Within came out in the 70s (https://www.thinwithin.org/) and is basically the same as WD but without the fat-shaming, spiritual abuse, and cult lifestyle. Also google "intuitive eating" and loads of links pop up. If you want WD without the bat-shit crazy, you can find it.

Gwen's anti-Dave Ramsey campaign probably has everything to do with her being in bed with World Financial Group.  

I just recently went to a funeral. While I was there, I was reminded how the person I was mourning, I loved them for who they were. No one during the tributes talked about how skinny he was, or how great his hair was. No one talked about what a snazzy dresser he was, ect. They talked about his service during the war, the time he spent with them, what a great father he was. It just makes the whole thing that much sadder for me. His earthly body went in the ground and I can't believe these people are so very shallow as to think that what is most important is how they look. 

I think I'll go eat a cupcake now. ?

I may have gone to a thrift store today.  I may have seen a VHS set of Weigh Down for sale on the shelves.  I did not buy it, unlike what I did with the Pearl book I found once. (bought and shredded).  But I may have pushed some other vhs tapes (I Love Lucy!) in front of it.

Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I may have gone to a thrift store today.  I may have seen a VHS set of Weigh Down for sale on the shelves.  I did not buy it, unlike what I did with the Pearl book I found once. (bought and shredded).  But I may have pushed some other vhs tapes (I Love Lucy!) in front of it.

Maybe.

I admit that I would buy any fundie material I see in a thrift store. I never find it in the thrift stores though. Let’s hope most of it is in a landfill somewhere. 

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived