IGNORED

Anthony Bourdain dead by suicide

Rachel333

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some sad news out of the travel / food worlds this morning

Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

:(

I'm speechless. I watched his show and he seemed like a great super fun guy! He also defended his girlfriend Asia Argento against Harvey Weinstein fearlessly. I guess you never know what's going on behind close doors. 

RIP :(

I got up, turned on the news and saw this, and burst into tears.  

I love food, and I love world travel, and I loved Tony SO MUCH.  

:tw_bawling:

7 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

I got up, turned on the news and saw this, and burst into tears.  

I love food, and I love world travel, and I loved Tony SO MUCH.  

:tw_bawling:

He was amazing. I'm so sorry. 

I don’t know much about him or his work, but my sympathies are with those who loved him. The suicide of a loved one is never an easy thing to deal with and it’s something the loved ones left behind can never really recover from fully - there will always be questions and blame and conflicting emotions for them to face. Anthony must have been in a great deal of pain for him to do this and I very much hope he’s at peace now. 

I love his books.  He was such a talented writer and it seemed from the outside that he'd really got control of his demons. Appearances can be so deceiving.

I am really rocked by this.  

I just saw this and feel the same way.

I found out about his suicide only minutes after finding out that a friend’s 16 year old son committed suicide today. I’m feeling physically sick. 

I always wear a little something Kate Spade every day. It’s been a horrible week :( 

@adidas, I am so sorry :tw_heartbreak:

I wanted to add these thoughts too, I'm not thinking very well right now myself

He always struck me as a genuinely good man, passionate and truly caring for others.

I loved him, his show, he was unapologetic about his love of food, people other cultures and had a gave no fucks attitude what you thought of him if you didn't like him. 

RIP, dear Anthony.  I only saw ads for his show and maybe a few minutes of an episode, but I feel inexplicably sad about this.  

25 minutes ago, Howl said:

RIP, dear Anthony.  I only saw ads for his show and maybe a few minutes of an episode, but I feel inexplicably sad about this.  

Me, too. I did see one episode recently, the one he did in Appalachia, and really enjoyed it. Other than that, only bits and pieces here and there.  But I feel so sad for him. :(

It's just so sad. This one is hitting me hard. My husband is a chef and he loved Bourdain's writing and outlook on life.

This is terrible. He was such an incredible man. I'm so sad. My daughter and I used to watch his travel shows when she was young. For awhile, it was her dearest ambition to eat an ostrich omelette that had been cooked underground. I believe he had a daughter, too, with his ex-wife.  I'm so sad for the pain he must have been in and so sad for his family. What a dreadful week for mental health and suicide.

I need to call my brother. I'm pretty sure he's seen every episode of all of Bourdain's shows. We'd watch them together sometimes. Bourdain's voice is so distinctive I can hear it my head clear as day.  This is just so heartbreaking. 

@adidas I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you

This is very sad news. I’ve been really devastated by Kate Spade’s suicide and I loved Anthony Bourdain’s show. This is a good time to reach out to friends and check up on people. Suicides increased after Robin Williams’ death.

This shook the crap out of me this morning.  He was just here for Mardi Gras, so many people in town saw & met him.  Such an interesting & wonderful soul. :pb_sad:

My mom and I just happened to be binge-watching his show yesterday. I’ve always loved his show. I feel so badly for his little girl. 

My favorite episodes were the ones where he had traveled to places where I had been before.  Especially Istanbul.  Took me back to see that episode.

And when he had that episode about Iran I was hopeful that some day in the not too distant future Iran would settle and westerners would get to experience Iran like Anthony did.  (Of course with that orange fornicate we have now hell even going to Canada is bound to be dicey, let alone Iran).  

My first thought was for his poor daughter. I know he's said a lot before about it  being hard to be away from her so much (and his then wife) traveling for his show....wow. 

I used to watch his show. I haven't since we don't have tv anymore but it's still a shock.

My sister texted me Anthony Bourdain and I was really confused till I checked twitter. My dad has always had him on since I was young so it hits home literally. 

With Kate Spade and hearing how there's been an increase in suicide since 1999 (according to the CDC), we as a society have too do better. Please reach out to all your love ones, not only those that have depression but those that seem strong but might be struggling on the inside.

Fuck. I loved his show and its habit of going places and talking to people no one else does. I’m crying. 

Archived