IGNORED

30-year-old man refuses to move out of his parents home

ViolaSebastian

10 hours ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

This guy is a nightmare. 

I've lived with parents (or spent a few weeks borrowing a guest room, etc) and I always made the point to take care of not only my own laundry, but to wash dishes and tidy up common areas. Ten minutes with the dishes helps to ingratiate yourself with whoever's kind enough to host you, especially if you can't contribute much financially. I did that when I was renting an AirBnB, too -- washed dishes, tidied the kitchen, offered to take out trash and start the laundry (with the sheets/towels I'd used). But I'm actually trying to be a functional adult, despite all of the hashtag millennial problems and whatnot.

Unlike this guy, whose personality type I've encountered before.

Trailing edge Boomer here.  My parents required myself and my sisters to contribute around the house.  The basic duties were (1) do your own laundry  (2) Don't leave a mess in common areas (you had complete freedom in your own room however) and  (3) help with the dishes.    Also required to find a part time job while in high school and chip in on your post-secondary education so long as you attended.  If you quit college which 2 sisters did, then you were expected to work full time.    I lived at home while in college but after I graduated I had to chip in some money for room and board, which was a pittance compared to actually paying rent but I could swing the cost, no problem.    

Regarding this guy's personality type, I encountered a few during my dating years.  I didn't think too much of it while in high school, chalking it up to being a teenager, but by the time I got out of college, it was definitely a red flag for me as my college ex was somewhat like this.    

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Trailing edge Boomer here.  My parents required myself and my sisters to contribute around the house.  The basic duties were (1) do your own laundry  (2) Don't leave a mess in common areas (you had complete freedom in your own room however) and  (3) help with the dishes.    Also required to find a part time job while in high school and chip in on your post-secondary education so long as you attended.  If you quit college which 2 sisters did, then you were expected to work full time.    I lived at home while in college but after I graduated I had to chip in some money for room and board, which was a pittance compared to actually paying rent but I could swing the cost, no problem.    

Regarding this guy's personality type, I encountered a few during my dating years.  I didn't think too much of it while in high school, chalking it up to being a teenager, but by the time I got out of college, it was definitely a red flag for me as my college ex was somewhat like this.    

My parents had us pay a small rent, it was mostly to teach us how to manage money and be prepared for adulthood and the real world.  We did that with out daughter, but we put her rent into an account for her and then when she did move out we transferred it to her.  It came in handy when she had big dental bills.  We helped her with the dental bills to a point, but she wanted to handle as much of it as she could.  The point is that she learned a lot by paying rent to us, although at the time she did not realize it.  I'm not sure if this manchild ever really learned that he has to be responsible and an adult or if he was never really expected to?

On 5/25/2018 at 10:20 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

Update: another job offer at a pizza place, which has offered him a $1000 “signing bonus” for starting there. Also, dude is saying he can’t move out because he can’t afford moving boxes. If only there were some sort of way to obtain boxes from a company that uses many boxes but wants to get rid of them, like a hospital or grocery store! Won’t somebody please think of the thirty year old man children?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5769937/Michael-Rotondo-new-excuse-staying-parents-home-judge-orders-June-1.html

Late to the situation, but we've had to move 3000+ books: hello, here in the USA, we have liquor stores with lots of boxes---not to mention grocery stores with banana boxes that can handle 30+ pounds in one lug.  (Took us a while, but we scored everything we needed---for free.)

I lived with my parents off and on over the years (see divorce and financial issues). I'm a trailing edge boomer (born in the 60's)...and I remember me and all my friends having jobs of some sort from the time we were 13-14. We didn't DARE ask our parents for money, clothes, smokes, cars, etc. Our parents provided a place to live and food. The rest was extras. Even as an only child with parents who were doing OK, I didn't take it for granted (although daddy was right free with his credit cards). 

It got turned around years later when my mother moved in with us and we took care of her. 

My kids know that if they get REALLY hard up, they have a place to land (yes, even in this shitty apartment). But, I think all three of them are flying just fine now. #1 is graduating from college this December with a BS in Computer Science, #2 is the executive assistant and chief of security for some Bitcoin entrepreneur and #3 is working for his girlfriend's dad in the roofing business and planning to go to school this fall to start his BSEE degree. 

Here's a video of him, and yes, i want to smack him upside the head.  Something like this would NEVER be tolerated by my parents.

https://nypost.com/video/deadbeat-son-expects-to-get-400k-from-best-buy-lawsuit/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_3025762

Oh, and good luck with that lawsuit.  :irony:

Archived