IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP) : Erika Shupe Pt 12

Erika’s upgraded her facebook cover photo. The whole family, including her, wearing jeans and black t-shirts. Sigh. My gateway fundie. You never forget your first snark-bait. You want them to change, but it’s less entertaining when they do. 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

There must be something in the air because I was wondering what happened to her yesterday.  She still has the same wacky smile and Bob’s political/social views have not budged one; however the dog and kids look happy & she acknowledges her son-in-law.   

• Upvote 5

I’m so glad Karen was able to leave and forge her own path in life. I don’t know if Melanie can just yet but I hold out hope for Anna. I really hope she sees what Karen did and it gives her the confidence to follow her own path in life too. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got to school early and got a bomb ass spot for pick up. Couldn’t help checking in here. I will not blog about it though a la Erica Shupe. I do miss her insanity though. 

Edited by fundiewatch
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

• 5 months later...

Any updates on Karen? She moved out a few years ago, yes? @Kilo whiskey, anything insight into your life you're comfortable sharing. (If thats you, I can't remember if Mods verified of not). Always interested in ex fundie stories and experiences.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 8:14 PM, FleeJanaFree said:

Any updates on Karen? She moved out a few years ago, yes?

Karen moved to Arizona and got married to Nathan Woolley on May 1, 2018 in a non-fundie, courthouse ceremony. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Erika’s Facebook is mostly private, although she has posted a few bits of anti-vax crap. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

It looks like Karen is living in California now. On one of her photos she mentioned something about Nathan being in the military.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, CrazyCatLady said:

Melanie's FB shows that she recently wrote a book that you can get from Amazon.

Melanie's bio on Amazon: 

Biography

Melanie is a self-started, life-long student of theology, apologetics, and Bibliology, and the author of the well-received Bible study "Futility Prosperity".

For years her obsession with learning and wisdom has led many people to urge her to start something like an advice column, a YouTube channel, or anything to share with more people the wealth of knowledge she accrues. So after years of such advice, she decided to put pen to paper and become an author.

Melanie's calling lies in helping to shed light on the fundamental problems and questions of fellow Christians, through sharing the lessons she is learning on purpose, prayer, and relationship with God, all founded in her fervent study of the Bible and her striving to apply its teachings.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

It seems that Karen keeps in touch with Bob's parents.  Edited: it appears she also has contact with her parents now.  Reading Erika's comments on Karen's Facebook makes it sound like they have a decent relationship with possibly healthy boundaries.

Edited by Queen Of Hearts
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

26 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

It seems that Karen keeps in touch with Bob's parents.  Edited: it appears she also has contact with her parents now.  Reading Erika's comments on Karen's Facebook makes it sound like they have a decent relationship with possibly healthy boundaries.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad Karen is doing well. She truly deserves it!

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, CrazyCatLady said:
On 7/19/2021 at 10:23 AM, Howl said:

Isn't Melanie like 20 years old? I'm not going to her for advice.

agreed. and the description on amazon is very click-bait-y.

i applaud her efforts in being "self-started," though, despite not sharing her worldview.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about the Shupes and checked in on Erika’s FB. She is wearing the shortest shorts in a kayak. I mean come on, that is the epitome of crotch right there. Every recent picture is skirtless, women young and old awash in denim shorts and jeans. And the best she ever got to admitting to the change is that she didn’t want the girls to be teased in public school. 
I’m surprised that Karen bolted so early and that Melanie appears to be going nowhere. I’m sure she has her own… hobbies, job, whatever, but she’s still on the camping trips and the “full fam” pictures include her but no Karen. She seems stuck there. 

• Love 2

30 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

I was thinking about the Shupes and checked in on Erika’s FB. She is wearing the shortest shorts in a kayak. I mean come on, that is the epitome of crotch right there. Every recent picture is skirtless, women young and old awash in denim shorts and jeans. And the best she ever got to admitting to the change is that she didn’t want the girls to be teased in public school. 
I’m surprised that Karen bolted so early and that Melanie appears to be going nowhere. I’m sure she has her own… hobbies, job, whatever, but she’s still on the camping trips and the “full fam” pictures include her but no Karen. She seems stuck there. 

Melanie parrots every right wing thing her father believes. They might dress mainstream, but they are your typical right wing extremists who love trump. Even before Karen was married, she didn’t believe everything her parents did. I wouldn’t be surprised if her beliefs are even more different now that she’s been away from them for years. I know Mel and Karen used to be close, but they’ve probably grown apart. She lives far away and they probably have pretty different beliefs now. Mel could have even felt abandoned by Karen. We know how homeschool fundie sisters can be way too close and can act like there’s a death when one leaves. 

• Upvote 4

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 10:33 PM, mango_fandango said:

Erika posted a really nice birthday message to Melanie on Monday. Throughout the LFOP and FLOP years, I never saw Erika do a birthday album for Melanie, when she usually posted about the other kids. The photos are cute too. 

I also kinda want to know what the V in her name stands for! There aren’t a huge number of female V names. Erika also tends to go for traditional names for her kids, or ones that are popular; she doesn’t go too unusual. 

Gosh this post is so old, but I couldn't resist chiming in again. Melanie's middle name is Virginia; taken from Bob Shupe Sr's mother, whose first name was Virginia. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:58 AM, JillyO said:

Over in the Dillard thread, @Beermeet (I believe) mentioned that Melanie now has a boyfriend. Which would be more exciting if said boyfriend didn't have an Erwin Rommel quote in the intro of his Facebook page. Lovely. Paging Dr. @nausicaa because I know you wanted to discuss this as well!

Melanie also has a selection of pro-Trump/pro-wall  and other xenophobic posts on her (public) Facebook page. As well as this WTF-ery:

Here is a link to her page if you want to see for yourself.

It really is a damn shame that while the fundie beliefs seem to have gone somewhat out the window in the Shupe household, the hatefulness and bigotry is just as strong as ever.

Melanie's boyfriend in 2018-19 was Jesse Reed, who you'll all be shocked to know was my bf first. One of the biggest conflicts my parents and I had in the end was over my secret relationship with Jesse, with whom I shared my first (sweet) kiss. Jesse and I broke up unpleasantly during my move out in early 2017, which he (his mother) didn't approve of. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Ooh, Virginia is my grandma’s name. It’s a lovely name. Thanks for dropping by and answering! Hope I wasn’t too nosy. 

On 3/31/2020 at 5:14 PM, FleeJanaFree said:

Any updates on Karen? She moved out a few years ago, yes? @Kilo whiskey, anything insight into your life you're comfortable sharing. (If thats you, I can't remember if Mods verified of not). Always interested in ex fundie stories and 

Hey @FleeJanaFree I never did get verified, take that with a grain of salt I guess. Very fun to see some activity recently here! I'm checking in, yes from California, to see how my friends here are doing. 

On 10/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, fundiewatch said:

In the summer and fall of 2019 Melanie made an attempt to break from the family and moved in with me and Nathan, along with her/our best friend Jasmine. The idea was to soften the leap and have time for rebuilding our wrecked friendship. It.. really didn't go well. At all.

So, in January of 2020 she moved home, we didnt speak for a year, and I found out I was unexpectedly 4 months pregnant which really shook up any plans we (nathan and i) had. Nathan was deployed unexpectedly (november-may) and arrived home in time for our sons birth in June! 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 8

5 minutes ago, Kilo whiskey said:

Hey @FleeJanaFree I never did get verified, take that with a grain of salt I guess. Very fun to see some activity recently here! I'm checking in, yes from California, to see how my friends here are doing. 

In the summer and fall of 2019 Melanie made an attempt to break from the family and moved in with me and Nathan, along with her/our best friend Jasmine. The idea was to soften the leap and have time for rebuilding our wrecked friendship. It.. really didn't go well. At all.

So, in January of 2020 she moved home, we didnt speak for a year, and I found out I was unexpectedly 4 months pregnant which really shook up any plans we (nathan and i) had. Nathan was deployed unexpectedly (november-may) and arrived home in time for our sons birth in June! 

I’m really sorry to hear that the relationship wasn’t able to be repaired at that time. I will say though, I can’t live with my sister or my best friends now that we are all adults. I think we would all wring each other’s necks! We get along so much better living in our own houses. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Kilo whiskey said:

Congratulations! Really nice to see you here again.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

22 hours ago, Kilo whiskey said:

I really hope you have been able to find/create a support system for yourself and your new little family. You are so strong, and I am rooting for you!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 8 months later...

I’m three weeks into occasional car line (due to play practice— FundieWatch Junior builds character on the bus) and I am first in line today. I have a La Croix and some nuts I bought at Trader Joe’s just now and I am feeling very smug. A whole new state, and I sit supreme. Anyways, hugs to all my people missing the Shupe blog. We’ve now lost the Maxwells too. 

Sending out a virtual hi to @Kilo whiskey! We snarked here for years and really, truly were pulling for all of you kids. 

*beams*

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JDuggs said:

I saw this on Erika’s public Facebook. I never really followed the family. Is this Melanie?

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.525ca26f3ec5b985e50ca82a22b817bf.png

seems to be Melanie and her beau, there's some engagement pics from August on her (public) fb page :

Spoiler

1945696161_Screenshot2022-10-24144501.png.a541e04a58bc564f47c007e9c20fbc25.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2