IGNORED

Faux News Spews; I Need Booze

Destiny

Brian Kilmeade wants you to know that of course he didn't mean the goddamned feckin racist thing he said to be taken to indicate that he is a goddamned feckin racist 

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Drala said:

@VelociRapture Another number to call and leave harrassing messages? 

IMG_1529734112397.jpg

I read comments on an article about this. I think that line was disabled because they were getting so many calls. I could still give it a try though. :pb_lol:

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Brian Kilmeade wants you to know that of course he didn't mean the goddamned feckin racist thing he said to be taken to indicate that he is a goddamned feckin racist 

I went to his Twitter page to see what he said in part two, and his header is all: BUY MY NEW BOOK RIGHT NOW!!!

In other words, please don't let my shitty comments affect my book sales!!

When Tacky gets bumped up to being a fulltime halfwit on Faux, we can look forward to her book where we'll learn about that time she wrapped herself up in the Flag and shot something. 

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I read comments on an article about this. I think that line was disabled because they were getting so many calls. I could still give it a try though. :pb_lol:

Or you could try the Hannity Hotline (courtesy of his twitter)

Be sure to call the #HannityHotline with your comments… Nice or mean I want to hear them (877) 225-8587 #Hannity

8:00 PM - 20 Feb 2017

11 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Yeah Lincoln abolished slavery and Trump will bring it back

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm still gobsmacked that the party who used to worship Ronald Reagan has tossed him aside for an orange carnival barker. Jeffress actually said that Trump is now more consequential than Reagan! Saying that about Reagan would have been considered heresy only a couple of years ago.

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

What's Hannity got against seniors????

On 21 June 2018 at 12:14 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

All four obove folk would have rocked an SS uniform in 1930s Germany. Does Fox News provide free Lobotomys prior to employment?

Which hidden Laboratory manufactures Fox News employees? They sure as hell are not human. 

Is West World a reality not just a programme ????????????

What do they talk about with their families and friends????? Are they all taken back to storage after the programme and plugged in????

So many questions. Sad. 

On 6/24/2018 at 9:13 AM, AmazonGrace said:

I'm seriously going back and forth on this in my mind. It's a phrase I've heard on occasion most of my life, and never gave it a second thought,  heard it in the context of a racial overtone, ever, or heard anyone allude (until now) that it did, indeed, have racial overtones or origins. 

And I wanted to clarify something.  A mechanical cotton harvester was not invented until the 1930s.  A lot of cotton was picked by hand after the emancipation of slaves and the very gradual adoption of mechanical harvesting.  Men, women, young, old, all races picked cotton.   My late cousin's MiL picked cotton throughout her childhood and into her teens.  It was brutal backbreaking labor and she did not have fond memories about it. As one person noted on the discussion of this issue on the Quora website, "All races picked cotton, but not all classes." 

Here's an entry from the Online Etymology Dictionary: 

cotton-picking (adj.)

as a deprecatory term first recorded in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, but a similar noun cotton-picker meaning "contemptible person" dates to around 1919, perhaps with racist overtones that have faded over the years. Before mechanization, cotton picking was the most difficult labor on a plantation.

I drove out to a number of the farms near Denison and found many very young white children working all day in the hot sun picking and dragging sacks of cotton. In one field the labor corps consisted of one woman and six children, one of them 5 years, one 6 years, one 7 years, one 9 years, and two about 11. The father was plowing. The 5 and 6 year olds worked all day as did the rest. The 7-year-old said he picked 50 pounds a day and the 9 year old 75 pounds. (A good picker averages several hundred a day.) School begins late on account of the cotton picking, but the children nearly all prefer school to the picking. Picking hours are long, hot, and deadly monotonous. While the very young children seem to enjoy it, very soon their distaste for it grows into all-absorbing hatred for all work. ["Field Notes of Lewis W. Hine, Child-Labor Conditions in Texas," report to U.S. Congressional Commission on Industrial Relations, 1916]

Other than the entry above, I can't find any clear etymology about this phrase, but several sites note that "cotton picker" has usage as a pejorative term but not cotton pickin' (as in, "Are you out of your cotton pickin' mind?" or "Wait just a cotton pickin' minute!"). Often, it's noted that cotton pickin' was (is?) used as a substitute for the curse words god damn.   

I do not condemn the person who used this phrase as an automatic  racist or any kind of racist, but in a heightened, more sensitized climate, agree it shouldn't be used.  

Have any of you read John Grisham's novel "The Painted House"?  It's based on his own childhood in rural Arkansas, and yes, people were still harvesting cotton by hand in 1952. 

If any  of you have a better etymological source on this, please provide a link. 

@Howl

My husband (who was born in 1952) picked cotton as a child (5 - 7-ish years old). His family was poor rural white in Alabama. When it was time to pick cotton everybody went to the fields and picked. Young children, too, mostly because they couldn't be left alone without supervision and all the adults were needed.

Just for context. Not excusing the current usage.

1 hour ago, apple1 said:

@Howl

My husband (who was born in 1952) picked cotton as a child (5 - 7-ish years old). His family was poor rural white in Alabama. When it was time to pick cotton everybody went to the fields and picked. Young children, too, mostly because they couldn't be left alone without supervision and all the adults were needed.

Just for context. Not excusing the current usage.

My mom has memories of picking cotton, too, with her sharecropper grandparents. In the more recent South, it was definitely a "poor" thing not a "race" thing... excepting the fact that white people were less likely to be poor as a group. If it had been said to a white person I wouldn't have thought much of it, but it's definitely got enough racist overtones that I was surprised to see it said in that situation.

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Is it just me, or does the Liberal Sherpa gal look like Kayleigh McEnany with darker hair and brown contacts?

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

For you FJers unfamiliar with Fox News (or unwilling to stomach it), Tucker Carlson pretty much looks like that for the entirety of his show, every single night.

11 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I wish the SNL season wasn't over yet. They could do this as a 60s era sketch where Alan and Tucker are both wearing baby doll pajamas and talking to each other on pink Princess phones. After they finished gossiping about the people on Martha's Vineyard, they could tackle the bigger issues like deciding which girls in their class stuff their bras.

4 hours ago, JMarie said:

For you FJers unfamiliar with Fox News (or unwilling to stomach it), Tucker Carlson pretty much looks like that for the entirety of his show, every single night.

In other words, he looks like a man in desperate need of some industrial strength laxative.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived