IGNORED

Maxwell 17: Life After John Left

Coconut Flan

Does Sarah not babysit... or does she humbly not give herself credit? She probably doesn't enjoy it as much as her sisters and fills her schedule blocks with writing time rather than Auntie Play Time®.

It's crossing my mind that for Anna and Mary, those kids are truly the light of their lives and the apple of their eyes. Is it Anna who said life would be boring without them? They are their only source of joy and fun, even if that means potato sack races at 9 am in a frozen field. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Also, I can't imagine my family getting together to listen to one of the nieces or nephews recite memorized scripture. 

That's because you are a pants-wearing heathen who probably has a Pepsi whenever she wants.

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

New post up.  The married brothers and their wives went out on dates while the spinster sisters watched the kids.  Josh memorized Jonah, Poor Sarah had a friend visit.  Nothing of Stud John and Judgy Chelsy so I'm gonna bet they were on their honeymoon while all of this was going on

I'm reading your words but not understanding their meaning.  

All of what was going on?  :tw_grin:

46 minutes ago, Rosie said:

I'm reading your words but not understanding their meaning.  

All of what was going on?  :tw_grin:

While the newlyweds were out of town Josh had is Jonah recital, the kids had Auntie playtime, the married brothers had their dates etc.  Sorry I wasn't quite awake when I wrote that out, hadn't had my morning PEPSI yet.

Sarah, this post is missing Chelsy throwing a roll. I know the snow picture might have been just yesterday, as northeast Kansas was hit by a random snow storm. What was forecast as a trace actually resulted in a couple inches at our place. You had plenty of time to make this roll picture happen! 

Part of me sort of hopes Sarah and Nathan were discussing something unrelated to the family. Their secret love of video games, or which secular radio station they like best, maybe? 

Christina looks like a little hipster in her beanie hat and big ski jacket, and I'm sad that she'll never be allowed to listen to hipster bands, or do artsy things outside of the few "godly" crafting projects she'd be permitted to do, or wander around Brooklyn or Portland (where she'd totally fit in in that getup). 

Well, at least all of the women got to sit in big, comfy chairs on Jonah night, and not at any of the men's feet.

The picture where Mary and some of the little kids are sitting on the fireplace ledge, is that Chelsy in that picture, or is it one of their sweet fellowship friends?

And honestly, Sarah can post pictures of Ellie and Arnold all day long.  They are so cute.

In fact I hope she does a Day in the Life (Lives? Nine Lives?) of those two at some point.

I'm sure that memorizing a book in the bible was an achievement for him, especially at his age, but I become wary when adults say they've memorized it.  It's more important to understand the meaning of the verses instead of just being able to regurgitate the literal words.  

I wonder if they plan on entering him in that Bible Bee that the Bontragers like to participate in?  Good way to meet other fundie families and market their books.

4 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Also, I can't imagine my family getting together to listen to one of the nieces or nephews recite memorized scripture. 

In particular I cannot imagine it being seen as entertainment. I cannot even imagine how tedious that would be, even if it had been my own kid I would probably have either left the room or said "enough" at some point. Then again in this day and age I can't think of a reason to memorize that much. A favorite passage sure but not a whole book of the bible. 

7 minutes ago, elliha said:

In particular I cannot imagine it being seen as entertainment. I cannot even imagine how tedious that would be, even if it had been my own kid I would probably have either left the room or said "enough" at some point. Then again in this day and age I can't think of a reason to memorize that much. A favorite passage sure but not a whole book of the bible. 

In answer to the last two sentences: they have literally nothing else to do and nothing else to read. This is the Maxwells, remember? 

17 hours ago, lilith said:

I was just reading Teri’s posts bitching about John/talking about raising a difficult child, and cake across this:

”We spoke truth to this child. He would allow his mind to twist his thoughts—even Scripture at times—so that he wasn’t thinking truth. We would lovingly, gently, often with an arm around him, speak the truth to him. We regularly encouraged him on the importance of repentance in his heart over his sin”.

So it seems that even at a young age John was questioning Steve’s rigid interpretation of scripture. That gives me hope that he may move towards living a somewhat saner life.

To the bolded, this just creeps me out for some reason. I can just imagine what constitutes “lovingly and gently” in Maxhell. Dolores Umbridge comes to mind. ‘Now John, you take this quill and write ‘I must have repentance in my heart over sin’ until it sinks in.” Shudder. 

On 1/23/2018 at 12:11 PM, Anonymousguest said:

I don't know that series, but it makes me think of Elsie Dinsmore. Talk about insufferable and pious! 

I hated those books!  My mom bought one for my daughter when she was turning 12 or 13 and I started reading it, and eventually threw it across the room! It is unrealistic that a girl would behave so well.  Insufferable indeed! 

6 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Serious question... does Anna Marie have any other maternity frumpers? I feel like I’ve seen her with the same one for months!!

I figured that since she’s been pregnant many times she’d have various options.

or maybe every time she hangs out with the rest of the family she wears that one? Weird

Maybe when she’s not with the “extended family” she’s wearing maternity jeans and cute tunics.

In one of those pics, there's a BOY playing with a dollhouse and a GIRL playing with a toy car. I'm sure some fundie families would never allow this. Even some non-fundies would play the "wouldn't you rather play with a train, son?" card if they see a boy playing with "girls'" toys. At least the Maxwells don't appear to freak out about such things. Gotta give 'em credit where credit is due. By the came token, this is one of the few fundie families where the males of the species can actually fix their own sandwich. Probably not a coincidence.

I hated those books!  My mom bought one for my daughter when she was turning 12 or 13 and I started reading it, and eventually threw it across the room! It is unrealistic that a girl would behave so well.  Insufferable indeed! 

Not to mention all kinds of misogynist, racist, and abusive! What a fun family-friendly book!

15 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

In one of those pics, there's a BOY playing with a dollhouse and a GIRL playing with a toy car. I'm sure some fundie families would never allow this. Even some non-fundies would play the "wouldn't you rather play with a train, son?" card if they see a boy playing with "girls'" toys. At least the Maxwells don't appear to freak out about such things. Gotta give 'em credit where credit is due. By the came token, this is one of the few fundie families where the males of the species can actually fix their own sandwich. Probably not a coincidence.

The Maxhell males learned to make their own sandwiches cause otherwise they would starve til their father got home while their mother cried in her bedroom. I strongly suspect gender roles with toys would have been enforced if Steve or Teri were present and probably are at home too. That little boy has probably been eying off the dollhouse for many auntie playtimes, waiting for his chance to play with it.

1 hour ago, lilith said:

The Maxhell males learned to make their own sandwiches cause otherwise they would starve til their father got home while their mother cried in her bedroom. I strongly suspect gender roles with toys would have been enforced if Steve or Teri were present and probably are at home too. That little boy has probably been eying off the dollhouse for many auntie playtimes, waiting for his chance to play with it.

I don't necessarily agree with this.  We've seen that the Maxwell progeny don't stick to super-rigid gender roles when it comes to developing skills.  There are lots of pictures of the men cooking fairly labour-intensive stuff.  There are pictures of the women doing physical construction work.  The women are expected to traverse fairly difficult mountain hiking terrain no differently than their brothers (no VF Manly Sweaty Romps here).  Unlike some of the weirder families we follow, female and male relatives seem to hang out together - even one on one - and actually seem to enjoy each others' company.  And although I feel sad for how sheltered Sarah, Mary and Anna are, Sarah's been encouraged by her family to make her own money and brand using her intellect.  

I don't like Steve Maxwell, I think his parenting is messed up in so many ways, and I'm definitely not trying to be an apologist for him and Teri, but he definitely has higher expectations from his sons AND daughters than a lot of patriarchs we follow.  

(and yes, I know that's a little sad).

3 hours ago, elliha said:

Then again in this day and age I can't think of a reason to memorize that much

Because when the liberals take over and ban the Bible you can have a copy in your head. This was a real reason taught to me as a child. Bibles were going to be burned and Christians would be locked in dark cells. If you had memorized huge chunks of the Bible you could remember the verses to comfort yourself while waiting to be executed because you refused to deny Christ. 

23 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I don't necessarily agree with this.  We've seen that the Maxwell progeny don't stick to super-rigid gender roles when it comes to developing skills.  There are lots of pictures of the men cooking fairly labour-intensive stuff.  There are pictures of the women doing physical construction work.  The women are expected to traverse fairly difficult mountain hiking terrain no differently than their brothers (no VF Manly Sweaty Romps here).  Unlike some of the weirder families we follow, female and male relatives seem to hang out together - even one on one - and actually seem to enjoy each others' company.  And although I feel sad for how sheltered Sarah, Mary and Anna are, Sarah's been encouraged by her family to make her own money and brand using her intellect.  

I don't like Steve Maxwell, I think his parenting is messed up in so many ways, and I'm definitely not trying to be an apologist for him and Teri, but he definitely has higher expectations from his sons AND daughters than a lot of patriarchs we follow.  

(and yes, I know that's a little sad).

I do agree with some of your points. But the ‘girls’ do construction and go on hikes in inappropriate-for-the-occasion skirts.  I’m just not sure I see the higher expectations for Steve’s daughters.

17 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Because when the liberals take over and ban the Bible you can have a copy in your head. This was a real reason taught to me as a child. Bibles were going to be burned and Christians would be locked in dark cells. If you had memorized huge chunks of the Bible you could remember the verses to comfort yourself while waiting to be executed because you refused to deny Christ. 

Good god, that is awful. How frightening that must be for a child to hear. Cannot fathom. 

34 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

This stuff scared the absolute hell out of me as a child. I was constantly worried about the rapture coming, and leaving me all alone. I'm not sure if the rapture scared me more, or the impending days of persecution because we loved God. If I was still religious and had kids, there's no chance I'd teach them this shit. WHY? Like, if that's really going to happen, how productive is it for children to be scared out of their minds every day until it does? Makes me rage. 

To be honest, there's still a part of me that is afraid of the rapture, and I don't even believe in it. :(

Looking at today's blog.  C'mon Maxwells, give us something.  Yes all the pics of the grandkids are nice. Everone's grandkids are nice but I don't need to see blog after blog mostly consisting of pics of one's grandchildren .  Sheesh! Enough already.  Maybe Im just dense, but I don't see how these recycled blogs are a "ministry."

Tell us how you preparing for your new conference. Who is the  friend in today's blog and why she is pictured with Sarah? Stuff that actually tells us something.   The blog could be Sooo much more interesting if they would give it some actual content.  OK. Rant over. Think I need to give blog a rest for awhile.

Memory work was a significant part of my grammar school career and IMO well worth it. I can still memorize lines for a play or ceremony with relative ease, especially in contrast to my peers who only had to memorize times tables, back before portable calculators. 

When I visited a Max Dog & Pony a few years back, Abby was the star du jour, having memorized Psalm 23 and reciting it for the entire assembly. Honestly I was more impressed that an audience of about 130 strangers didn’t faze her, than I was at the recitation. In my day, we all memorized the Nativity story in Luke 2.

Which brings me to Poor Joshua.*. The book of Jonah actually could be a bit of fun in the telling. It’s got everything Old Testament-y except for sexual immorality and stoning mouthy teens.  Allowed to embellish it with pantomime or sound effects, he’d be entertaining to watch. 

Not that Stevehovah and His Terifyer would ever allow that kind of f*n.

*”Poor Joshua” because he’s just a little bitty boy but I can’t help but grimace at him, sometimes,  knowing the spayshul place he doubtless holds in his grandfather’s heart, just by the happenstance of his birth. 

while memorizing the Bible, or parts of it is great, it doesn’t make you any more of a Christian. Children can’t fully grasp religion, most adults can’t. I do understand teaching children about your beliefs and rasing them with those beliefs. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived