IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 6: Sitting in a tree...M.A.R.R.I.E.D!

samurai_sarah

Kendra's speech pattern reminded me of Joy, too! Not sure if it's just because they are a similar age from the same area and are part of the same circle.

About her giggling: I'm a 25 and I still giggle a lot :pb_confused: I probably sound a little like that around my SO sometimes. I just find a lot about life kinda funny, I guess. I won "Best Laugh" in the graduating student superlatives in my law school class so hopefully it's a good amount and doesn't annoy too many people! 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LacyMay said:

(sidebar- in my mind I always see TTH as Tontitown house, my snark game is weak.) 

Wait, what?  I wondered what TTH stood for, thought about it and decided it was the acronym for Tontitown house.  Is it something else?

1 minute ago, Howl said:

Wait, what?  I wondered what TTH stood for, thought about it and decided it was the acronym for Tontitown house.  Is it something else?

Assuming you're not on mobile, if a word or acronym on this site has double underlines you can hover over it to see what the FJ meanings are for that combination of letters. If you're on mobile, I'm not sure that works.

In this case, it's Tinker Toy House, a reference to how they bought the steel frame works and roof panels and put the house together themselves (more or less).

The depressing thing is, most girls who go through a giggly phase grow out of it...  and their boyfriends of the time.  I'm sad Kendra is married to her first BF.

(And yes, I know some of the FJers married that young, and to their first love and it went well - BUT they all had a ton more experience, and were allowed to hold their BF's hand, and see him without a chaperone.  This isn't about young marriage, it's about exceptionally sheltered girls married off to a guy they believe they couldn't be alone with before marriage, or touch his hand, because it would be a sin)

Yeah, they are kind of cute, and Joe seems - dare I say it? - relatively egalitarian considering his upbringing.

And then I remember that they are married with almost no possibility of divorce, and that it is almost certain that they are using no form of birth control. 

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

The depressing thing is, most girls who go through a giggly phase grow out of it...  and their boyfriends of the time.  I'm sad Kendra is married to her first BF.

(And yes, I know some of the FJers married that young, and to their first love and it went well - BUT they all had a ton more experience, and were allowed to hold their BF's hand, and see him without a chaperone.  This isn't about young marriage, it's about exceptionally sheltered girls married off to a guy they believe they couldn't be alone with before marriage, or touch his hand, because it would be a sin)

I agree with all of this.  Seeing her in that episode with the rollerblading just made me sad.  She seemed so young in terms of her personality.  It seems like these sheltered teens are encouraged to stay so young and sheltered until their wedding days, where they are then expected to become fully sexual adults in a committed relationship within a matter of hours.  I'd like to know more about what type of education they receive in regard to being in relationships and even understanding sex and the feelings that go along with sexual relationships.  I strongly suspect they get basically zero education on this topic, and I'm morbidly curious to know whether or not they're absolutely terrified on their wedding nights.  I suspect that they are to some degree, and my heart goes out to them. 

5 hours ago, metheglyn said:

Assuming you're not on mobile, if a word or acronym on this site has double underlines you can hover over it to see what the FJ meanings are for that combination of letters. If you're on mobile, I'm not sure that works.

In this case, it's Tinker Toy House, a reference to how they bought the steel frame works and roof panels and put the house together themselves (more or less).

Lol. I used to assume it was Tontitown House as well and then I'm pretty sure I saw someone else refer to it as Tater Tot House so I figured that was the original! Never knew it was supposed to be Tinker Toy House!

Also, on mobile I can see the double underline but it doesn't do anything if I tap it or press and hold it.

6 hours ago, Howl said:

I always say Tater Tot Hut in my head. 

14 hours ago, Buzzard said:

What kitchen is that?

10 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I didn't watch the whole thing but it looked like the "pretty kitchen" in the TTH  (sidebar- in my mind I always see TTH as Tontitown house, my snark game is weak.) 

It's the kitchen in the Duggar guest house (the one in the warehouse on the compound, not the pool house where Jill and Derick had been staying). There are pictures of it here:

http://davidlovespriscilla.com/2015/08/11/visit-with-family/

4 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I agree with all of this.  Seeing her in that episode with the rollerblading just made me sad.  She seemed so young in terms of her personality.  It seems like these sheltered teens are encouraged to stay so young and sheltered until their wedding days, where they are then expected to become fully sexual adults in a committed relationship within a matter of hours.  I'd like to know more about what type of education they receive in regard to being in relationships and even understanding sex and the feelings that go along with sexual relationships.  I strongly suspect they get basically zero education on this topic, and I'm morbidly curious to know whether or not they're absolutely terrified on their wedding nights.  I suspect that they are to some degree, and my heart goes out to them. 

This. So much this. 

Seeing her talk about their standards for courtship  and how she and her dad discussed it and her holding his arm for balance while rollerblading would be ok was so hard to hear. 

She had to ask her dad's permission to hold onto his arm so she wouldn't fall. 

But 5 months later they would be expected to start filling a quiver. 

I hope Kendra shares with the Duggar girls how she does her hair, and the products she uses. She has very long hair that she maintains very well. Her hair looked beautiful for her engagement, not straggly, etc.

11 hours ago, lomo6 said:

Yeah, they are kind of cute, and Joe seems - dare I say it? - relatively egalitarian considering his upbringing.

In marriage or in general? Because he's worn enough fundie buzzword t-shirts for to know he's got a high horse. 

Starcasm clearly needs to start reading here because they brought us This Article. We don't know where Joe and Kendra are. They may be in Japan, they don't have instagram and we have not seen hide nor hair of them post wedding. The only evidence that are indeed in Arkansas is a video that was likely shot before the wedding. 

47 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Starcasm clearly needs to start reading here because they brought us This Article. We don't know where Joe and Kendra are. They may be in Japan, they don't have instagram and we have not seen hide nor hair of them post wedding. The only evidence that are indeed in Arkansas is a video that was likely shot before the wedding. 

What a gem of an article.

Check my reading comprehension, please:  Jinger Duggar and Jeremy Vuolo “marked the occasion in New Zealand” after tying the knot in Australia.

Tying the knot in Australia? WTF is Starcasm, anyway? lol

23 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

WTF is Starcasm, anyway? lol

Trying to be relevant and really failing lol! :) 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Trying to be relevant and really failing lol! :) 

I thought that was what the Duggars are doing ;) 

(I don't think they have any concept of relevant actually) 

That "article" was poorly written at best and I personally found it disgusting. Is that kind of crap what Starcasm is generally known for or was someone just trying to be "funny" and failing spectacularly?

Have we discussed the fact that one of the twins (Jer I think) is missing from the siblingphoto from the wedding anywhere? 

I can't believe I counted and then spent enough time looking at the photo to figure out who was missing ... :pb_confused:

8 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Damn it. Now I'm hungry for oatmeal cookies. 

But....oatmeal cookies are not chocolate chip cookies...are they......

23 minutes ago, JPickleDuggar said:

they actually did look really good

I had just happened to be near Subway the other day when I watched that clip of them baking together. I normally only like chocolate chip, but guess who ended up buying two oatmeal raisin cookies? :my_biggrin:

Not trying to attack anyone here, but honestly, the whole giggly girl = annoying narrative grates me to no end. If she were to laugh like that into her 80s, I frankly would not give a damn. I guess this topic is a little too BEC for me, idk.

It's just that, as far as I'm concerned, critiquing how women and girls laugh is yet another example of how we, intentionally or not, 'train' women to hate themselves and deny their natural instincts for the sake of performing for everyone else's approval. If giggling is what helps Kendra to deal with the circumstances of her life, shit... go for it! She can laugh like a fucking hyena for all I care. It's a knee-jerk reaction. I feel gross seeing this used as an example of her infantilization. She has a distinctive laugh. It'd probably be her laugh if she grew up in a normal, less oppressive household as well.

I mean I also say this as a 23 year old who giggles A LOT and has been treated like shit for it in an extremely sexist way from teenhood on, by all genders. I literally can't help how I laugh. The fact that I even feel inclined to explain why I laugh the way I do, that I've even had to analyze it because OTHERS do all the time, is kind of indicative of just how deeply entrenched misogyny really is in our communities. Women are constantly having to monitor how they express being nervous or happy or really any genuine, authentic emotion. I'd rather not perpetuate that.

Do you know how bad you all are for the waist line? First, I had to buy a piece of banana bread to go with my caramel apple spiced cider on Monday, when I came down with a cold (felt too crummy to make my own). Now, you have me digging out my favorite oatmeal spice cookies recipe. Not long ago, you inspired me to bake biscuits! Sadly, talks about vegetables don't have the same effects.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived