IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, klegg said:

Jinger just posted a picture of a cappuccino - possibly to dispel the pregnancy rumors due to caffeine content? I know some caffeine is still allowed while pregnant, but maybe?

The recommendation in the states is currently no more than 200 mgs of caffeine a day while pregnant. A cappuccino likely won't have that much in it - especially because the one Jinger had looked on the smaller side. 

I don't know if she was trying to dispel rumors. If she was she would have been better off posting a photo of herself holding a gigantic coffee in one hand, a big glass of wine in the other, and eating sushi (the raw kind.) :pb_lol:

That said, the cappuccino and biscotti looks phenomenal. As a fellow non-Italian married to someone of Italian descent, that picture just gives me happy feelings. 

@nastyhobbitsesI wish I could speak another language fluently. But even if I could, I'd likely lose the ability unless it was a language someone else I know very well speaks fluently. It's easy to lose what you know if you don't have a regular and consistent chance to use it. That's part of why so many Americans can't speak a second language - we aren't taught you enough, we aren't taught in an immersive way, and we don't all face the chance to practice regularly. :( 

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/13/2017 at 6:39 AM, VixenToast said:

the crappy tiny plastic Mickey

I'm sorry, I'm Irish ... those few words are all I saw  :evil-laugh:

I've spit tea out of my nose, for the second time now

3 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I say things like that all the time. We all pick up patter wherever we go, I think, and also from books and films. It makes for more interesting descriptive phrasing than being required to speak only in the vernacular of your childhood home.

Also, am pleased he used semi-colons, though a comma would have done for the first one.

I lived in Bermuda for a few years and its a British colony. I loved the phrases and words they used and during a visit back to the US i dropped a "bloody" in one of my sentence, thinking it would make me sound more worldly. (I was young. So young.) My sis in law blasted me and made fun of me, saying you don't live somewhere for a few months and just start speaking like them. She is always snarking at me, but i probably deserved it that time. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

28 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I lived in Bermuda for a few years and its a British colony. I loved the phrases and words they used and during a visit back to the US i dropped a "bloody" in one of my sentence, thinking it would make me sound more worldly. (I was young. So young.) My sis in law blasted me and made fun of me, saying you don't live somewhere for a few months and just start speaking like them. She is always snarking at me, but i probably deserved it that time. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Yeah, a few things do require situational context, lest we sound either silly or sad. :-)

But there's nothing especially unusual about saying "wee lad" though it's not wholly typical. And if you played soccer in other places, you'd certainly hear lad often enough. Currently, I think I hear it most by Inspector Brackenreid on Murdoch Mysteries.

Incidentally, as we get near the close of this thread, I hope the next thread's title will be something like Jinger: Baring Legs and Bearing Arms. :P 

@fluffernutterMy parens are from east africa and were in school before and after their country got independence so growing up they would drop words like nappies or torch (as well as spelling certain words with a u in there) so even though I never got to learn their native language, I at least picked up on some birtish words/slang :p.

But I've actually have gotten to enjoy Jinger's instagram just cause it seems/feels pretty normal for someone her age.

16 hours ago, ThunderRolls said:

I swear to Rufus, the term, 'mama bear' is almost always a red flag. Add a 'crazy' to that and the red flags double.

Except when it's not. I don't love the term, but I am a member of two huge Facebook groups of formerly religious Christian moms of LGBTQ kids, and someone started using the term to describe how we feel about our gay and transgender kids--fiercely concerned for their lives and taking action for their health, safety, happiness, and rightful place in our world. 

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Incidentally, as we get near the close of this thread, I hope the next thread's title will be something like Jinger: Baring Legs and Bearing Arms. :P 

Jinger and Jeremy: Guns N' Roses 

19 hours ago, Beyganengvall said:

Interrupting our scheduled

Just realized I have not finished my previous rant. About illegals being criminals. Being an illegal is hard enough as it is. So many have a pressing and often heart breaking reason to be  living as an illegal. There are so many people without acceptable options, children born as illegals, those whose countries of origin will not have them back, those in danger from cartel revenge or those who can't live without certain medications and so on. 

Now this is not a political plea for leniency in legislation. A country has to draw lines somewhere and in an imperfect world perfect justice is unattainable (still we should give it our best shot).

However, in the kingdom of God, in which the author of that outrageous comment claims to believe, illegals do not exist. Passports or geographical borders are of no consequence. There is no favoritism.

Those living in the difficult limbo of not being allowed to call their home a home, yet having no home elsewhere, should be able to find true belonging and unconditional family love and care with the local believers in the land where they live. We are one family after all.

Because for a Christian it is never America first. For a Christian, loyal citizenship of any country flows from ultimate loyalty to God who alone can bring true justice. He judges the hearts. Of legals and illegals alike. And says 'whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me'  #rantover

11 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

There obviously was a card at the time the bouquet was wrapped as there's the holder, so whatever was written, he was happy for the florist to handle and risk them and other customers see.

I think you missed the point that this is a supermarket bouquet that was sitting out on a display or in the reach in fridge.  No "florist" was involved in the transaction.  It's pick it up and take it to the register yourself.  The card holders are placed in at the time of assembly.  There may or may not have been a card depending on whether Jeremy even noticed there was a cardholder provided.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I wish I could speak another language fluently. But even if I could, I'd likely lose the ability unless it was a language someone else I know very well speaks fluently. It's easy to lose what you know if you don't have a regular and consistent chance to use it. That's part of why so many Americans can't speak a second language - we aren't taught you enough, we aren't taught in an immersive way, and we don't all face the chance to practice regularly. :( 

I completely agree that exposure is necessary (it was part of my MA research) -- and that the American style of teaching foreign languages, though changing, is still very perfunctory and doesn't really give students the chance to build on their skills unless they really go out and do it themselves. And a lot of it is because we simply don't have to learn a foreign language the way Europeans have to if they want to talk to anyone four hours away, or the way pretty much everyone else in the world has to learn English to get a white-collar job -- even jobs where you don't really have to talk to English speakers much could require English; the vast majority of computer programming languages are English-based, for instance. In the US, we don't have that urgency to learn another language, which is an accident of geography in some ways, but it's also unfortunate and has fed into some incredibly ignorant attitudes about language learning.

@foreign fundie, people are not illegal. They can be undocumented immigrants, which is illegal, but, the immigrants themselves are not illegal. I don't mean to single you out, but your post was the last one that I noticed with all the use of "illegals" as people. I know what you mean when you say it because I grew up with the term. I think that society as a whole should move away from using it because when we do, we stop seeing them as people and just see them as a crime. 

11 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

There obviously was a card at the time the bouquet was wrapped as there's the holder,

I disagree - they have the holders in them already, in the fridges at the grocery store (this does appear to be a grocery store arrangement). He probably didn't even notice the holder. 

2 hours ago, DinglyDoll said:

Except when it's not. I don't love the term, but I am a member of two huge Facebook groups of formerly religious Christian moms of LGBTQ kids, and someone started using the term to describe how we feel about our gay and transgender kids--fiercely concerned for their lives and taking action for their health, safety, happiness, and rightful place in our world. 

Well I did say, "almost always." I believe most parents feel like a mama/papa bear when it comes to protecting their children. Unfortunately, it's become a bastardized term that a lot of people invoke to get attention because it's "cute."  

On the topic of the bouquet - in Jinger's IG post, she did say she also received a "sweet note" from Jeremy. I agree that types of bouquets often come with card holders, but it seems like there really was a little card/note to go with Jinger's roses. 

The whole English as the world language topic is highly interesting. IIRC, there are studies that at on point it will be Spanish as the Spanish speaking populations are growing. And then there is the whole Asia rising as a yet to be fully developed continent which sets the region up for huge economic growth that our nations just won't reach anymore. And we all know that it is going to be about the money in the end for companies and such. Interesting times we live in, indeed.

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Jinger and Jeremy: Guns N' Roses 

Yes please, just as long as the threat title after that isn't Sweet Child O Mine

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

The whole English as the world language topic is highly interesting. IIRC, there are studies that at on point it will be Spanish as the Spanish speaking populations are growing. And then there is the whole Asia rising as a yet to be fully developed continent which sets the region up for huge economic growth that our nations just won't reach anymore. And we all know that it is going to be about the money in the end for companies and such. Interesting times we live in, indeed.

A lot of it comes down to money, who needs to be talked to, and how much technology can adapt. Mandarin Chinese is the second most used language on the internet behind English, and a lot of major tech innovations/companies are now originating in China. All those new functionalities FB Messenger has now? The Chinese messenger app WeChat has had them for years. PayPal's expansion in functionality/use outside of internet payments? Inspired by Alipay. And even some of the promotions Amazon does now were started by Alibaba/Taobao. Mandarin Chinese has the advantage of sheer number of speakers, technological influence, and geopolitical influence, but it's very difficult to learn Mandarin, and when China sponsors infrastructure projects abroad and sends workers over, they don't really mingle with locals. Or hire them (Kazakhs are especially pretty peeved about this). So there hasn't really been as big of a push to learn it. But I'm sure that will soon change.

Spanish also has a growing speaker population, a GLOBAL speaker population (Mandarin Chinese is pretty much Mainland China, Taiwan, and then the pockets of diaspora populations that don't speak Cantonese or Hokkien instead), and a lot of emerging economies behind it, but unfortunately, I can't really think of a Spanish-speaking country at this particular moment that has the same geopolitical/economic pull that China has. But again, that may change. Either way, English won't be top dog forever. But it's still got a few years in it left.

Crazymammabear is probably to dumb to realise that their is a good chance she is decended from illegal immigrants or settlers. America wasn't the white man's to begin with. Spanish is widely spoken in Texas and not just by illegal immigrants, people need to learn basic History and Geography before they spout racist crap. 

4 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Crazymammabear is probably to dumb to realise that their is a good chance she is decended

Every time I hear white people complaining about the eebil immigrants, all I can think/bite my tongue so I don't say it out loud is, "ya know, a couple generations ago, someone else said the same shit about your Irish/Italian/Polish ancestors".

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I think you missed the point that this is a supermarket bouquet that was sitting out on a display or in the reach in fridge.  No "florist" was involved in the transaction.  It's pick it up and take it to the register yourself.  The card holders are placed in at the time of assembly.  There may or may not have been a card depending on whether Jeremy even noticed there was a cardholder provided.

Blimey! Your supermarket arrangements are way fancy then - to get that here you'd be looking at least 15 quid.

------------------

Those bastards at the Inquisitr are at it again:

http://www.inquisitr.com/4371109/jinger-duggar-jeremy-vuolo-attend-wedding-with-jessa-did-joseph-duggar-already-get-married/

...at least they've finally stopped the 'fans' crap. - Could we dare to hope the 'watchers' thing is some kind of tiny sliver of guilt over stalking us? (Dim hope I know, but maybe even Inquisitr 'writers' have a tiny bit of humanity in them after all? - we can hope, right?

Bloody quick too - at this point that 'article' is showing as published 18hrs ago and the post they're quoting shows as 20hrs ago.

So they're speculating that Joe and Kendra got married yesterday? That would be super fast and I would actually be pretty impressed that they managed to deke us out like that, haha. I don't think any of us predicted a July wedding. 

Seriously, though, do we know whose wedding they were attending? Jinger and Jeremy and the Seewalds were obviously there. The Pecan Thieves were travelling this weekend, too, right?

On 7/6/2017 at 2:49 PM, Destiny said:

That was the comment I was trying to make. I wear pants all the time, and me wearing shorts is a rarity. Not everyone wants to wear shorts, and we should really not be all how dare she wear pants when it’s hot about it imho. 

Related: I fucking hate air conditioning. It does not need to be 68 fucking degrees in summer. Stop public places, stahp!

Well if you live in 100F heat at night you would love AC.  Sorry I'm just now catching up on this thread.

On 7/7/2017 at 3:10 AM, lumpentheologie said:

I'm sensitive to cold (AC is the bane of my existence) but still would never wear pants when it's warmer than 75 degrees out. I don't know how people do it -- I'm so much more comfortable in a skirt (even a long one) or shorts. Legs need air! 

In New York I just pack away my jeans for the summer. This year I'm in northern Germany for the summer and it's been between the 50s and low 70s, so I'm living in the two pairs of jeans I brought, plus flannels and wool socks.  Ugh. I miss summer!

I lived in England for 3 years. I was so glad to come back to America and have a real summer! Plus I got Seasonal Affected Disorder.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:41 AM, Penny said:

What is the best anti antiperspirant?  I cannot stand the moist in my arm pits. I have tried the ones you put on at night and they do not work.  Put baby powder on after antiperspirant and that helps to some extent.

I have found wearing Capri's  are better than shorts for rubbing your thighs.  I always had the problem that she shorts would ride up at the bottom and you are always straining the when you stand up.  

The only thing that works for me is Degree antiperspirant.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived