IGNORED

What's so scary about all these fundie blogs/websites,

Justme

they're preaching to the choir. I doubt they're really converting or convincing anyone of anything...they're merely parroting what they learn at church to other people who already believe the same thing.

don't get me wrong, they're dangerous, and the internet (IMHO) has given a format and a podium to sort of organize them and create blocks of them, but i am pretty skeptical that people who aren't already drinking the kool-aid are swayed much.

ETA: in my opinion,the danger is the ones who "pass" for a run-of-the-mill "conservative" and move to positions of influence...not the ones like kendal and pastor steve and lady lydia.

I've known a fundie blogger personally. With her, she really seemed to believe that she had some unique, speshul *truth* that she just had to share with the masses. It was pretty funny, actually. She would get all ramped up about some such issue, like the Golden Compass movie or whatever, and feel like she had to "hold forth" and warn everyone (because others are not as able as she was to discern for themselves - lol). Everything was always like "eleventy!!! 111!!!!" Finally, after she nearly ruined her husband's career with her nonsense in our community, she went dark (for the time being ;) ).

She was less of a mommy-blogger, although that was part of her schtick, than she was an "issues" or "values" blogger. I do think she was a true believer, but that's not really much of a virtue to me. She was also a very petty, mean-spirited, rather vicious person IRL, which is a common theme among many of the fundie women, I've found.

I've known a fundie blogger personally. With her, she really seemed to believe that she had some unique, speshul *truth* that she just had to share with the masses. It was pretty funny, actually. She would get all ramped up about some such issue, like the Golden Compass movie or whatever, and feel like she had to "hold forth" and warn everyone (because others are not as able as she was to discern for themselves - lol). Everything was always like "eleventy!!! 111!!!!" Finally, after she nearly ruined her husband's career with her nonsense in our community, she went dark (for the time being ;) ).

She was less of a mommy-blogger, although that was part of her schtick, than she was an "issues" or "values" blogger. I do think she was a true believer, but that's not really much of a virtue to me. She was also a very petty, mean-spirited, rather vicious person IRL, which is a common theme among many of the fundie women, I've found.

I'm friends (online) with a former fundie blogger as well. I doubt you would know her because her website was in French. In fact, it wasn't really a blog, back in the late-90's early 00's it was called a "personal homepage", on the now defunct Geocities. She was talking about submission, about how housewives are superior to working moms, that any woman can afford to stay at home if they really want to, that abortion is murder, homosexuality is an abomination, along with the usual recipes and housecleaning tips we can find on today's fundie blogs. She was very judgemental online, saying her younger sister, with whom I am friends IRL, was "living in sin" because she was living in the big city, going to college and living with a boyfriend without being married. I was very envious of her because we were rougly the same age and she was married at 18 and had two little boys by age 21, while I was still 'stuck going to school'. Her pastor husband, however, turned out to be very abusive and she ran away. She's now re-married to a "regular christian" and even if she is still very conservative socially and politically, her kids go to public school, she wears pants, works outside the home, doesn't mind secular entertainment as long as it's child-appropriate, and even has gay male friends. No more presence on the Web except FB.

Archived