IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

30 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

He was my favorite on That 70s show and then (several years ago) I found out he is CO$ and instantly disliked him and then the victims came out a few years ago and then I was sick.

After learning so much about CO$, I really can't watch actors that I know are CO$ onto their colleagues. 

The young CO$ circle - people under 35 who are both 2nd Gen and friends of 2nd Gen (like Laura Prepon, again, ew, wtf... Just finished ointb and was liking her all over again - sigh, I'd forgotten.)

I was reviewing all of them on Ortega's site. So intertwined.

Beck. I can't quit Beck. I blame Marisa Rabisi entirely....*shuffle s of forBeck update*

*?*

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/15/beck-divorce-marissa-ribisi/

Who is suppressing who?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 8:26 PM, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

They are paid so little because for the most part, they are "volunteers".  That's how they're categorized at least and they sign a contract that says as much.  The Sea Org'ers are given a place to live (barracks), and food to eat (mostly beans and rice), uniforms to wear, etc., so apparently that justifies pennies on the hour?  If there's a loophole in the law, their hoards of lawyers will find it.  :(  
I would think US labor laws would apply, but what do I know?  I've been watching this with my own eyes for far too long and it tends to give you a feeling of 

I think there are exemptions for "ministry" or "missionary" personnel with regard to labor laws. They are exempt from FSLA in general. . .

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 10:50 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

He was my favorite on That 70s show and then (several years ago) I found out he is CO$ and instantly disliked him and then the victims came out a few years ago and then I was sick.

After learning so much about CO$, I really can't watch actors that I know are CO$ onto their colleagues. 

quoting myself. So I found "The Ranch" On netflix, i started watching, found out Danny is on it, ugh but then found out {spoiler}

Spoiler

they kill his character off when all these accusations happened

so I am still watching it :)

- The reason I am posting is new news on Danny Masterson -

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/danny-mastersons-alleged-sexual-assault-165956429.html 

Here are the first parts of the article:

The four women suing Danny Masterson for alleged sexual assault have slapped the Church of Scientology’s leader David Miscavige with legal papers.

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, Masterson’s alleged victims are informing the court they have legally served Miscavige with their lawsuit. The service was done at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre International on Hollywood Boulevard.

The papers were given to an employee at the front of the center. The documents being served will allow their suit to continue on against Miscavige

• Upvote 3

I have a friend that was in the same night club as Masterson a few years ago. He was extremely drunk and aggressive at the club. With women he didn’t even know. He was very handsy and acted like a jerk. Since then, I’ve just assumed he’s a disgusting entitled ass. The lawsuit doesn’t surprise me at all.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a friend that was in the same night club as Masterson a few years ago. He was extremely drunk and aggressive at the club. With women he didn’t even know. He was very handsy and acted like a jerk. Since then, I’ve just assumed he’s a disgusting entitled ass. The lawsuit doesn’t surprise me at all.

Awhile ago I read the court reports from the accusers; it is bad, as in beyond Law & Order: SVU bad. It would be triggering for many people. 

I think many celebrities think everyone wants them but then put them in with CO$ who treats them like demigods - recipe for disaster. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

This topic didn’t have any traction on the Jinger and Jeremy thread so I thought I’d try it here. Jinger is going to make an appearance at the Rebecca Minkoff store in LA. Minkoff appears to be a Scientologist. I have to think that Jinjer don’t know this or else Jinger wouldn’t be involved in this event. But, no one here on FJ seem to care, so maybe most people don’t think it’s a big deal?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

This topic didn’t have any traction on the Jinger and Jeremy thread so I thought I’d try it here. Jinger is going to make an appearance at the Rebecca Minkoff store in LA. Minkoff appears to be a Scientologist. I have to think that Jinjer don’t know this or else Jinger wouldn’t be involved in this event. But, no one here on FJ seem to care, so maybe most people don’t think it’s a big deal?

How high up or famous is Rebecca Minkoff?

Oh and I'm sure CO$ would love to get a Duggar in their ranks!

• Upvote 2

Rebecca Minkoff is well known as a purse designer but not very visible as a Scientologist. I didn’t know she was one. Probably Jinger doesn’t know either, and it hasn’t factored into her thinking. 

But holy crap. According to Tony Ortega’s site, Rebecca Minkoff’s father is a doctor whose license was suspended for a year for his involvement in the death of Lisa McPherson:

https://tonyortega.org/2017/06/06/designer-rebecca-minkoffs-involvement-in-a-scientology-front-is-pretty-perfectly-bad-timing/

She first came to notice as a designer when Jenna Elfman wore one of her t shirts on Leno :rolleyes:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Minkoff_(company)

Edited by SusanAtTheLastBattle
Typo. Do we still say riffles?
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

18 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

How high up or famous is Rebecca Minkoff?

Oh and I'm sure CO$ would love to get a Duggar in their ranks!

That's one thing I'm sure would never happen. Instead a Duggar would be trying to convert the scientologist. Unsuccessfully I'm sure.

• Upvote 2

I have never heard of Rebecca Minkoff before yesterday. Handbag designers, for the most part, are not an interest of mine. I’m guessing the store reached out to Jinger (or Jinger’s publicist) with this opportunity and she jumped. I would think that most of Jinger and Jeremy’s “celebrity” connections in LA have come through church, but this came from somewhere else. I guess they didn’t care if this person/store/brand had good Christian values before deciding to team up, and that surprises me. I assume that Jeremy would abhor Scientology, but he probably also didn’t think that he would be confronted with it either. They’re not in (Ar)kansas anymore! 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I think that topic didn't get much traction because people did not know quite who Rebecca Minkoff was and that she is a Scientologist.  If you'd said that Jinger was hanging out with Tom Cruise or Kirstie Alley, people you;d have paid more attention. 

• I Agree 2

It's interesting. And bizarre. But... The Vuolos appear to be embracing or glomming onto every opportunity in their path.

Jeremy's standards as the headship do not appear to be interfering in his bedazzlement in D-level fame.

And it's like, Epstein had Oprah's number in his black book, and every other celebrity he encountered.

I'm not sure it means anything.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
Well, except for too many Scientologists.
  • Upvote 3

I have so many thoughts on the Jinger/Scientology topic. First, I think that Jeremy and Jinger are truly demonstrating that their ministry is coming in third place now after money and fame. They’ll do anything that appears “classy” if they’re getting paid. If they knew that Minkoff and her parents, brother and husband are Scientologists, would they still partner with this store? Is okay to partner with Rebecca Minkoff, the brand, but not Rebecca Minkoff, the person? Or does it really not matter to them because the public doesn’t care either? Do people think that only some people at the top of Scientology are abusers and the great majority of Scientologists are just brainwashed followers, including wealthy, somewhat famous fashion designers? Even though most people probably consider Scientology a cult, are most people okay with supporting their businesses because it’s really not a big deal? The Minkoffs don’t deny that they’re Scientologists, but they don’t advertise it either. Best of both worlds for them because the public accepts and supports them this way. I really though that that Jinger and Jeremy would get some fallout from this, but it seems that no one thinks it’s strange that ultra evangelicals would team up with Scientologists as long as they all benefit financially.

• Upvote 3

On 12/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

Rebecca Minkoff is well known as a purse designer but not very visible as a Scientologist. I didn’t know she was one. Probably Jinger doesn’t know either, and it hasn’t factored into her thinking. 

But holy crap. According to Tony Ortega’s site, Rebecca Minkoff’s father is a doctor whose license was suspended for a year for his involvement in the death of Lisa McPherson:

https://tonyortega.org/2017/06/06/designer-rebecca-minkoffs-involvement-in-a-scientology-front-is-pretty-perfectly-bad-timing/

She first came to notice as a designer when Jenna Elfman wore one of her t shirts on Leno :rolleyes:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Minkoff_(company)

This makes me sad. So much. I love her bags and have several. Won't be buying anymore. Her dad was the doctor behind Lisas death? That's terrible. I read a lot about Scientology. But Rebecca Minkoff is almost never mentioned in the celebrity list. They're pretty well hidden.

Edited by OyToTheVey
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

I can't remember if I read this on the Underground Bunker or not, but one woman had several Rebecca MInkoff purses that she threw in the garbage after she learned about Rebecca being a Scieno.   She no longer wanted them and didn't want anyone else to get them either.  (I'm aware that this might be as clear as mud.  She didn't want R MInkoff to benefit any more than she already had from the sale of the purses.  

I myself don't go to Tom Cruise movies.  I liked Elizabeth Moss in Mad Men, but hated that she was cast in The Handmaid's Tale.  An actor's involvement in Scientology definitely affects how I view their work.  

One thing that the Co$ has in common with fundies is their view of gays.  Screenwriter Paul Haggis left the Co$ after they refused to denounce Proposition 8.  I think that one of his daughters is a lesbian and Co$ support for an anti-gay measure was a bridge too far.

• Upvote 5

It's so hard to remember/comprehend that Scientology could even have the same sort of fundie beliefs.

The celebrities are operating in another sphere. Laura Prepon played a lesbian in Orange is the New Black ?

I highly recommend the podcast Oh No Ross and Carrie. They did an 8+ part series on Scientology. This included joining the Church - until they very actively got kicked out.

It highlights why ain't nobody joining up with those idiots on the ground floor and why they so clearly go to huge lengths to keep their big money people invested.

And, they are funny! Without being too mean.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

18 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

It's so hard to remember/comprehend that Scientology could even have the same sort of fundie beliefs.

I think (not positive) that Jeremy has also held some anti-psychiatry views (no meds, pray away the depression) which was strongly expressed by Tom Cruise, except Cruise would probably recommend lots of auditing by e-meters, or whatever they do. By the way, Tom Cruise was my biggest celebrity sighting in the wild. It was right after he and Katie separated and he brought Suri to Disney World. He really did have a “movie star” presence and he actually smiled and waved at me because I was STARING at him.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I highly recommend the podcast Oh No Ross and Carrie. They did an 8+ part series on Scientology. This included joining the Church - until they very actively got kicked out.

It highlights why ain't nobody joining up with those idiots on the ground floor and why they so clearly go to huge lengths to keep their big money people invested.

And, they are funny! Without being too mean.

I think we're supposed to be friends, @AliceInFundyland - I just read this whole thread and learned that we both:

- are morbidly fascinated by $cientology

- have a crush on Mike Rinder (he's so much more handsome now than in his $ci days!)

- used to have a crush on Danny Masterson, until we found out he's a horrible, horrible person

- both love ONRaC, esp. their $ci episodes

Now, I will admit that the book which inspired your username and avatar freak me out (and have since childhood!), but I will look past that. ?

Edited by scoutsadie
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

When I learned about CO$ and that Tom Cruise was a member, I got rid of all my movies that he starred in. They freak me out. When I was touring college campuses, one of them had a CO$ right across the street! I noped out of even thinking about going to that particular college. Truly freaked out to see it. 

Scientology scares me. 

• Upvote 1

There's been a Scientology store front directly across from the main drag at the University of Texas at Austin campus since 1979.  Now they are renovating and I found an article about it in UT Austin's student newspaper

Hey, Curious Campus: Is the Church of Scientology just under construction or is it leaving the Drag?

This is a staggeringly valuable piece of what is in reality commercial real estate, and to think that it's tax exempt as a religion just chafes my chaps. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

@AliceInFundyland,  I was looking at the Wikipedia page of ex-Scientologists that other day and Beck's name was on there.  His Wikipedia page as an interesting paragraph about his religion.  I would not be at all surprised if his disavowal of the Co$ is a bit part of the split from Marissa.

Beck -personal life 

• Thank You 2

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@AliceInFundyland,  I was looking at the Wikipedia page of ex-Scientologists that other day and Beck's name was on there.  His Wikipedia page as an interesting paragraph about his religion.  I would not be at all surprised if his disavowal of the Co$ is a bit part of the split from Marissa.

Beck -personal life 

Interesting! His music is a big part of my life. I believe he's an intelligent man. Praise Rufus.

• Rufus Bless 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:07 PM, scoutsadie said:

- used to have a crush on Danny Masterson, until we found out he's a horrible, horrible person

me too! I am still watching the Netflix series with Danny in it because he isn't in it for the entire series. After the sexual assault allegations he was, um, removed from the plot line. I haven't gotten to that episode yet. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Leah Remini's new project has just been announced - "Seeking Justice" they call it an anthology docuseries. Here is the link to the article: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/leah-remini-inks-first-look-203331756.html I decided to not put it in her Scientology thread because this is a new series and looks like it may branch out more than just CO$. the bummer is the article doesn't say when it will release. 

And the contents of the article in case you can't read the link for whatever reason:

Leah Remini Inks First-Look Deal With Critical Content, Sets ‘Seeking Justice’ Anthology Docuseries

Nellie Andreeva

Deadline January 27, 2020, 3:33 PM EST

EXCLUSIVE: Leah Remini, creator, host and producer of A+E’s Emmy-winning docuseries Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, has signed an exclusive first-look deal with independent content studio Critical Content to develop and produce unscripted programming through her No Seriously production company.

Under the pact with Critical Content, led by CEO Tom Forman and Studio President Jenny Daly, Remini will spearhead series across multiple genres that address subjects from advocacy and victims’ rights, to family and comedy.

The first project under the deal is Seeking Justice, an anthology docuseries which reunites Remini with her Aftermath partner Mike Rinder. It will investigate, infiltrate, and hold accountable other groups and organizations that have for too long gotten away with physical, mental, and sexual abuse, including victims of Scientology.

“Whether in front of the camera or behind it, Leah is a passionate storyteller, completely fearless, totally hilarious” said Forman and Daly in a joint statement. “Critical has always, proudly, been in the truth to power business, and we’re beyond excited to help Leah make shows that matter.”

Remini is coming off a first-look deal with A+E Networks, which yielded the upcoming Lifetime series From Darkness To Light, from Remini and three-time Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman. From Darkness To Light, produced by A+E Originals and Remini’s No Seriously Productions, is a documentary event in which Raisman helps victims of sexual assault find their voice in order to start healing and turn from victim to survivor.

“I’m thrilled to have a home at Critical Content and I’m grateful to have the opportunity to continue to create content and provide a platform for important stories to be told. Tom and his team have already been amazing collaborators and I look forward to a long and successful partnership,” said Remini.

Remini created, produced and hosted the Emmy-winning A+E docuseries series Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, which recently ended after three seasons. She was nominated for an Emmy earlier this year and, last month, she was honored by the International Documentary Association for her work. In 2017, the show also won a Television Critics Association Award and a Producers Guild Award. In 2019, Remini received the Impact Award at the Inaugural Critics Choice Real TV awards.

Remini, who also has extensive comedy experience and is known for her starring role on the hit CBS sitcom The King Of Queens, is working on her second memoir.  She is repped by Verve, which brokered the deal, Art 2 Perform and Hirsch Wallerstein Hayum Matlof + Fishman.

Critical Content has more than 50 projects in production for more than 30 different networks. The company’s credits include Catfish (MTV), Very Cavallari (E!), StayHere (Netflix), Get a Room with Carson & Thom (Bravo), Ozzy and Jack’s World Detour (A&E), Who Shot Biggie & Tupac? (Fox), and The Case Of: JonBenét Ramsey (CBS, Netflix).

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic