IGNORED

Recount your close encounters of the fundy kind!

AnnoDomini

Tell your stories of your encounters with real fundies beyond seeing frumpers in the grocery store checkout!

I'm still not sure how fundy my family was, but we moved in a certain fundy sort of sphere. At my sister's HSLDA high school graduation, Mike Ferris gave the address. At my brother's, Ken Ham spoke. I've been with my family to multiple Family Radio conferences and seen Harold Camping speak in person (I might have met him too--it's been a long time so I'm not sure) and my family has always held in high respect. (No word on how my parents feel about him now.) The Vision Forum booth was at the homeschool convention too. Even then, I wasn't sure how I felt about some of the books. Dang, I might have seen Dougie face to face and not appreciated it!

Going to church (very very briefly) with the creators of the modesty survey (and having one of them move my coat and purse off a chair so he could sit in it :eyeroll:). Having one of their older brothers in a college class I TA'd.

Going to a Wallbuilders conference (David Barton), Kent Hovind conference (pre-tax scam), homeschool convention (Maxwell products were there, but I don't remember seeing the Maxwells)

Going to church (very very briefly) with the creators of the modesty survey (and having one of them move my coat and purse off a chair so he could sit in it :eyeroll:). Having one of their older brothers in a college class I TA'd.

Going to a Wallbuilders conference (David Barton), Kent Hovind conference (pre-tax scam), homeschool convention (Maxwell products were there, but I don't remember seeing the Maxwells)

Lucky so-and-so! If I lived in America I'd have loved to go and see Kent Hovind: he formed the centre point of my entire social group's conversation for a year or so (which may say as much about us as it does about him!). What was it like?

The only time I ever saw fundies was in Sandbridge (touristy, rich part of Virginia Beach), when I saw a woman wearing one of those hanging veils and what appeared to be a swim skirt over a one-piece. None of the girls with her covered, but they also had the skirts, and most of the guys in that group had swim shirts on. I felt... underdressed in my normal bikini.

Now that I think about it, I saw a small family of fundies when I was very young- the dad looked normal, but the mom and the rather young (but only) daughter wore long skirts and lacy headcoverings. I don't remember where this was now, or exactly when, but I do remember being very, very young.

Well, the thing I find the most chilling is when speaking with several fundies of various "severities", I've heard this statement (parpahrasing) in various ways, and it makes me want to vomit.

"Well, I wasn't sure how to order my day so I asked my husband and he made my to do lists for me, prioritizing what he would have me do." This has literally meant in one case that a woman spent her morning from 6:30 on in the way her husband wanted. I am not kidding. I can't imagine living like that. I would feel suicidal I think!

Can I please punch your husband in the face now?

I met Bill Gothard.

I served at a large charismatic christian church for a couple years. Part of my service was to wait on their royalty hand and foot.

Needless to say, I am now a humanist.

I met Bill Gothard.

I served at a large charismatic christian church for a couple years. Part of my service was to wait on their royalty hand and foot.

Needless to say, I am now a humanist.

OMG! What was he like?!

Being as how there is no separation of church and state here, had a Christian (of sorts) education but my first time meeting a full on kerrazy fundie was in my uni class. I idly had doodled a pokemon on my notebook and he told me pokemon were evil spirits. And that was just the start.

I'm in England and I think we're a little low on fundies here but I do see this woman and her daughter(s) now and again who wear long skirts and cover their hair. I'm always curious about them.

I have homeschooled fundie neighbors. I never see their kids out running. The only time I see the famikly, they are getting in their car to head to church. The girls wear frumpers and the boys wear khakis & polos.

I have homeschooled fundie neighbors. I never see their kids out running. The only time I see the famikly, they are getting in their car to head to church. The girls wear frumpers and the boys wear khakis & polos.

That's... not good.

Guest Anonymous

Here in my little town in california we have a pretty large group of German Baptists which we here call dunkards. The women wear dresses that are all the same style (different patterns), hair always in a bun covered with a bonnet that is kind of see through (can't tell you what it's made of). The men have beards and wear black pants with white button down shirts and black hats. They kinda look amish to me. We had a few of them at my high school so they do attend public school but I know they shun t.v and internet and I believe the women sit seperately from the men in church.

I once had one accost me at work. Screaming about the rapture. When I kindly suggested she go to the onsite cafe for a cup of coffee (I offered her $5 with which to purchase hopefully said decaffinated beverage) while I printed up the stuff she needed, she informed me that she'd rather "witness" to me instead.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And of course this woman came up, just before my lunch break, and I MISSED my lunch break because of her asshattery.

Here in my little town in California we have a pretty large group of German Baptists which we here call dunkards.

I've heard of dunkards, didn't know they were still in existence. What part of CA is this? I'm guessing not Southern California.

Nell

I am in far northern california and there is a darth of fundies here unless you include Bethel Church but I think that is a horse of a different color.

I once had one accost me at work. Screaming about the rapture.

I've never met anyone in real life who believes in the rapture. The only fundy types I ever see are the Hasidic Jews in my neighborhood.

Now that I think of it though there is a group in my city called Christ's Household of Faith. They bought an old convent and high school, it's a large complex. I'm not sure how many live in the household but it's more than 100. They run a handy man=plumbing-electrical business. Some members have other jobs. They pool all their money in common. They sound like the koinonia groups that I knew of in GA and Ann Arbor, MI. I don't know if families live together in the community or if groups of children are housed together in dorms with houseparents, who might ot might not be their real parents. They have their own school. I think it was their girls' volley ball team that made it to state a few years ago, or maybe basketball. I don't live in their neighborhood and while I drive by their place often I've never seen any people so don't know if they dress a certain way or not.

Nell

One and Done- we called them the black bumper people; they would buy cars then paint everything black. The net headcovering that they wear is a prayer hat or what the girls called it in high school "crush helmets", they wore them. Funny story, also true, I grew up with them in southeastern PA, we bonded because I was the only Jew, they would go to the movies on Sat night and take off their crush helmets, one Sat night the minster came through the parking lot and took all of them out of the car and made the owners come up and claim them on Sunday morning. They were great farmers excellent milk, corn and tomatoes.

I woke up next to one this morning. :shock:

Is your fundie husband in the service? If so, I have a few questions.

I have been reading that there is a strong fundie movement in the service. Can you tell us anything about that since you may have an insider's view?

Well, I hang around with me all day. And dh. :D We are conservative Christian but have no loyalties to VF or ATI or any other group. And my boys do not wear khakis and polos. :p

The most recent weirdness was a while ago when our fantastic (non-legalistic) Messianic friends invited us to a gathering, and there was another family there who were...interesting. The mom and kids wore undyed cotton clothing and handmade leather slipper/shoes. Apparently this was very important to them, but not important enough for the husband to give up normal clothes. ??? We want a big family, and they had 5, so we thought it might be interesting to chat. Exchanged email addresses (after she got her husband's permission). I emailed, never heard back. A few months later I asked my friend what happened to that family and she said "Oh, they just up and moved across the country shortly after that. The husband had some business opportunity come up or something." Probably good we didn't get too deeply involved. At the same gathering there was a bicycle evangelist with a very long orange beard. But he was actually pretty cool.

Lucky so-and-so! If I lived in America I'd have loved to go and see Kent Hovind: he formed the centre point of my entire social group's conversation for a year or so (which may say as much about us as it does about him!). What was it like?

Psychotic. :shifty: I was a minor at the time and tagging along with my parents. I do not know how they, having college degrees from state schools, could tolerate him. The amount of B.S that came out was ridiculous. Someone needs to tattoo correlation does not equal causation on his forehead.

That said, he was a very amusing speaker. He would get very worked up, but his agitated state was one of sarcastic humor and understatements. That was probably a very good thing, since he stayed that way for most of the conference.

During the Q/A time, several people asked him about his stance on taxes (we all knew what he thought, but we wanted to hear him say it). He danced all around the issue (since it was being recorded and he probably didn't want to go on record), but in his own sarcastic way, he basically said taxes are of the devil and paying them is being in collusion with the devil. :twisted:

Ironically, he was arrested for tax evasion shortly before the Wallbuilders conference (they are pro-taxes, inasmuch as 'Christians obey the government' are pro-taxes). At that conference, taxes came up again. David Barton sidestepped with a pointed jab at Hovind (no names, but how many dino men get arrested in a year?) and basically said that God said to pay taxes, but others think differently.

Archived