Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Carm_88

    44

  • Jana814

    31

  • singsingsing

    14

  • Mela99

    14

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking on behalf of all the TTC and infertile FJers:  Not. Fair. 

This one is nice, too. Courtesy of http://keepingupwithfundies.tumblr.com/ There's a whole album of pictures where the unspeakable J is edited out like this.

Posted Images

Sir Puddington

Before I started reading more about the Duggars and their particular brand of Jesus Juice, I almost wanted to give them some credit for continuing to associate with and support Josh even after the Ashley Madison outing and admitting to porn usage. I wonder if they would have reacted the same had it been one of the girls who admitted to messing around with someone they weren't married to?

Their whole micromanaged, tightly controlled and repressed lifestyle is so creepily invasive.  Josh may be a sleaze, but I hope he is smart enough to recognize that being prevented from exploring his sexuality in an appropriate way is what directly caused most of his psychological issues about sex in the first place. If he recognizes that, then he might rethink raising his kids the same way.

  • Upvote 22
Link to post
Share on other sites
ChunkyBarbie
16 minutes ago, Sir Puddington said:

*snip*

Josh may be a sleaze, but I hope he is smart enough to recognize that being prevented from exploring his sexuality in an appropriate way is what directly caused most of his psychological issues about sex in the first place. If he recognizes that, then he might rethink raising his kids the same way.

Sadly, I truly don't think he is smart enough. Or even motivated enough to try. 

  • Upvote 31
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
JesSky03
12 hours ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

Sadly, I truly don't think he is smart enough. Or even motivated enough to try. 

Fundie men usually don't like to take responsibility for their own actions. So while I think Anna gets most of the blame, Josh might also secretly blame his parents or culture for his actions but like you say, he's not motivated enough to actually act on that in any way. 

  • Upvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jana814

Josh will never take the blame for what he has done.  Why would he do something like that he has been put on a pedestal his entire life. 

  • Upvote 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
Carm_88
2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Josh will never take the blame for what he has done.  Why would he do something like that he has been put on a pedestal his entire life. 

And no one would expect Josh to take responsibility for what he has done. That's the sad part. 

  • Upvote 19
Link to post
Share on other sites
socalrules

Josh isn't going to take responsibility because it wasn't his fault. The devil made him do it. There have been no real consequences for his actions. He went to construction "therapy" after the molestations and "rehab" after the Ashley Madison scandal. Neither of which were truly any type of punishment. Both times he went back to his normal life. He knows he can do what he wants and his family will cover it up to protect their own interests. They invested more into his "therapy" and "rehab"  than they did into helping the victims who were the recipients of his actions. 

  • Upvote 29
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

Josh has been sent away twice for punishment/therapy. There have been consequences for his actions. We may never know if any of the "therapy" addressed Josh's responsibility or whether it was all tempted by Satan, and God forgives all.

Also, I was horrified to read in the Washington Post this morning that 27% of Eurpeans think that non consensual sex is OK if the woman is drunk or wearing provocative clothes. 

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Carm_88
15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Also, I was horrified to read in the Washington Post this morning that 27% of Eurpeans think that non consensual sex is OK if the woman is drunk or wearing provocative clothes. 

That is disgusting. No wonder rape victims think so hard about coming forward. My god. :( 

  • Upvote 24
Link to post
Share on other sites
2manyKidzzz
1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Josh has been sent away twice for punishment/therapy. There have been consequences for his actions. We may never know if any of the "therapy" addressed Josh's responsibility or whether it was all tempted by Satan, and God forgives all.

Also, I was horrified to read in the Washington Post this morning that 27% of Eurpeans think that non consensual sex is OK if the woman is drunk or wearing provocative clothes. 

I saw that. I wonder who took the survey and who they surveyed within the population. Very discouraging. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Puddington

Oh I highly doubt he'll outwardly take any responsibility. Considering how his actions have very publicly embarrassed his sisters and his wife, keeping his head down and his mouth shut is probably the best course of action. I have no idea what exactly the Jesus Jail involved, but I think it's meant to improve self control and work toward being more godly through hard work or something? As far as publicly taking responsibility, JimBob gave him an easy out and he took it. He has no reason not to.

Thing is, I don't think Josh really buys into their whole belief system. He has seen the world and experienced life outside of the compound. While I don't doubt he has done some ridiculous mental gymnastics to make everything not his fault, I think he's got enough life experience to privately question the impact of his parents' repressive attitude. Again, he has no motivation to say this out loud, but knowing he's brought children into this lifestyle might be making him rethink raising them in a way that obviously didn't work for him.

Of course this is all assuming that he actually cares about his children and their mental well-being in more than a superficial way. Unfortunately the fundie attitude toward reproduction as a duty and children as Pokemon cards means that he's probably quite emotionally disconnected and barely even sees them as people.

This just keeps getting more depressing the more deeply I think about it. :fubar:

  • Upvote 24
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Also, I was horrified to read in the Washington Post this morning that 27% of Eurpeans think that non consensual sex is OK if the woman is drunk or wearing provocative clothes. 

Not excusing this, but "European" is a huge number of people and diversity of cultures.  I'd be interested in seeing the actual questions asked, and the basic stats of this survey (overall number, response spread over the 50+ European nation, rates v numbers etc etc) because just as if I saw a survey about "Asian", "American" or "African" people, my eyebrows would be through my hairline and hovering around the ridge of my roof right now.

  • Upvote 28
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the 27% figure comes from an eastern European country that is poorer and less liberal than most European countries. For the life of me though, I can't remember which one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Galbin said:

Apparently the 27% figure comes from an eastern European country that is poorer and less liberal than most European countries. For the life of me though, I can't remember which one.

So describing it as "27% of Europeans" is wrong then? 

(There's a massive difference between eg the German population of 80.4 million people, and the Maltese population of around 400,000, per wikipedia, so even surveying, say 100 people from each of the 50+ European nations would be statistically crazy.   There are over 494.8 million people living in the European Union, and millions more living on Europe-the-continent, so I never understand the idea that we can stereotype, any more than any other continent)

 

  • Upvote 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

I can't find the article now, but Eastern European countries were higher than 27%. Countries like the UK were much lower.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember being shocked at the time, but when I saw the country listed I wasn't as shocked. Just can't find the original article...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
freedom_for_all
Josh has been sent away twice for punishment/therapy. There have been consequences for his actions. We may !never know if any of the "therapy" addressed Josh's responsibility or whether it was all tempted by Satan, and God forgives all.
Also, I was horrified to read in the Washington Post this morning that 27% of Eurpeans think that non consensual sex is OK if the woman is drunk or wearing provocative clothes. 

Barf! I dream of a world where you can pass out naked legs wide open and no one would assault you.
  • Upvote 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
HarryPotterFan
8 hours ago, Sir Puddington said:

Of course this is all assuming that he actually cares about his children and their mental well-being in more than a superficial way. Unfortunately the fundie attitude toward reproduction as a duty and children as Pokemon cards means that he's probably quite emotionally disconnected and barely even sees them as people.

This just keeps getting more depressing the more deeply I think about it. :fubar:

However I've seen people care about keeping their Pokemon cards in good condition than these people care about the well-being of their kids...

But it's a good comparison. Gotta catch 'em all.

  • Upvote 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
freedom_for_all
15 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

However I've seen people care about keeping their Pokemon cards in good condition than these people care about the well-being of their kids...

But it's a good comparison. Gotta catch 'em all.

 

STDs Gotta catch 'em all was something we would jokingly say at my high school. Just food for thought!

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the 27% of Europeans condone non consensual sex thing...

http://www.mediaite.com/online/no-washington-post-1-in-4-europeans-dont-think-rape-may-be-acceptable/

this site has some info about the questionnaire and shows the dubious wording of the question asked:

“Some people believe that having sexual intercourse without consent may be justified in certain situations. Do you think this applies to the following circumstances?”

What an awkward way to put it, and easily misunderstood.

Anyway, they didn't ask me any questions so the 27% doesn't speak for me fwiw. And some countries had over 50% of the population saying that rape is ok including Romania and Hungary.  :pulling_hair:

 

Edited by [email protected]
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
HarryPotterFan
19 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

STDs Gotta catch 'em all was something we would jokingly say at my high school. Just food for thought!

My brother and I made jokes about that as well. I remember trying to think of how you could fit slogan that into a condom ad.

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Italiangirl
14 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Re the 27% of Europeans condone non consensual sex thing...

http://www.mediaite.com/online/no-washington-post-1-in-4-europeans-dont-think-rape-may-be-acceptable/

this site has some info about the questionnaire and shows the dubious wording of the question asked:

“Some people believe that having sexual intercourse without consent may be justified in certain situations. Do you think this applies to the following circumstances?”

What an awkward way to put it, and easily misunderstood.

Anyway, they didn't ask me any questions so the 27% doesn't speak for me fwiw. And some countries had over 50% of the population saying that rape is ok including Romania and Hungary.  :pulling_hair:

 

meither they ask anything to me or anyone i know...and why ask such a strange question? you could simply ask "having sexual intercourse without conset is ok for you? yes or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
HarleyQuinn

Now I'm really curious about what the Duggars would've done if one of the daughters was caught cheating. Slut shamed to the high heavens?

  • Upvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Now I'm really curious about what the Duggars would've done if one of the daughters was caught cheating. Slut shamed to the high heavens?

Ugh, this kinda gave me chills. x_X There's potential for complete disownment, and, in the Duggars' situation, full vulnerability to the rabid media.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • samurai_sarah locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Recent Status Updates

    • Jasmar

      Jasmar

      My uncle just died from COVID. He wasn’t that much older than I am, so I kind of grew up with him. Just ten days ago my mom had been pleading with him to get vaccinated, but he wanted to wait to make sure the shots were really safe. I’m kind of devastated.
      · 4 replies
    • PumaLover

      PumaLover

      I just found out my little bonus kid is in a treatment center on a suicide watch tonight. He and I share a hobby and a couple weeks back he opened up to me that he's severely depressed and was wanting to hurt himself. I let his parents know and thankfully he had also been talking to them. I'm just heartbroken because him being in this center means that his parents had to call 911 and have him admitted and I know that was so hard for them to do. He's a young kid and has his whole life ahead of him but just wants to end it all and I don't know how to help him. 
      · 5 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      Middle aged woman with mommy issues...but missing her today.
      She got so much wrong with me, but she had the best intentions and tried so hard. 
      She got so much right, too.  I forget that sometimes.  Sometimes I remember and dismiss it out of spite.  
      “They did the best they could with the tools they had.”  I forgot where I first heard that but I’ve carried it with me like a mantra since my parents passed.   They truly did.  Whatever else was missing, whatever I needed that they couldn’t give, the love was always there.  

      Always. 
      That’s something.
      My confidence in my own abilities.  Faith in my own power.  My own strength.  They gave me that, too.
      That’s also something.  
      They’re why I’m messed up, but they’re also why I’m okay.  
       
      Shit’s complicated.
      She died before I figured out how smart she really was.  Sad thing is I don’t think ever figured that out for herself.  
      Ignore me - just crying in my car waiting to pick up my son.  

       
       
      · 1 reply
    • CuttySark

      CuttySark

      The nice thing about posting about Jewish history is how quickly it flushes out the antisemites. 😘
      · 2 replies
    • choralcrusader8613

      choralcrusader8613

      I've been feeling a shitload of this for a while now about various types of Christians tbh.

      · 0 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      It's Friday so yay!  But sweet Jesus I need it to be the end of the day already.  Crappy week and I'm so ready for it to be over.

      · 0 replies
    • nst

      nst

      I got vaccinated yesterday. In the am I got the email and I was  vaccinated 
      · 0 replies
    • PsyD2013

      PsyD2013

      Exhausted. I need a weekend off the grid.
       
      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      This will make the internetz explode. 
      · 1 reply
    • indianabones

      indianabones

      Making my fifth offer on a house tomorrow! I've gotten pretty attached to this one, too... fingers crossed!
      · 2 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.