IGNORED

Would Steve let his kids read the Moody books?

ncb

Guest Anonymous
If Sarah hadn't written them? I mean even if the text were exactly the same, I doubt he would have let his kids read something so "fun."

He'd let them read the books only if the kids carefully masked any enjoyment they derived from them.

Reading fiction is an ungodly waste of time.

I know he'd never print it, but I'd love to comment on the blog when the newest Moody book comes out saying how the book sounds wonderful, but dh never allows our children to waste time reading anything but the Bible, and he feels all dads will be accountable to the Lord one day for allowing their children to read time wasting fiction.

Wonder how Steve would feel about being judged as a parent, and found wanting, the same way he does to parents?

I'd guess he might, but he'd have to read them first.

Thing is though, the Maxwell kids wouldn't NEED to read those books. They're fiction, but I think they're really intended as a proselytizing tool for kids at the same time, possibly as the main goal. The Maxwell kids ideally already live the perfect lifestyle as shown in the Moody books, but other kids might not, and the books will show them how they are supposed to let scripture take over all their thoughts and never bicker with each other and all the rest of it.

I know he'd never print it, but I'd love to comment on the blog when the newest Moody book comes out saying how the book sounds wonderful, but dh never allows our children to waste time reading anything but the Bible, and he feels all dads will be accountable to the Lord one day for allowing their children to read time wasting fiction.

Wonder how Steve would feel about being judged as a parent, and found wanting, the same way he does to parents?

Someone should do just that. It would be awesome.

Someone should do just that. It would be awesome.

Someone did. Or, something very like that. One of the times we were discussing the corners and how ol' Stevie says his offspring only read the bible and manuals/non-fiction, comments were left on the blog about the Moody books to the effect that, if kids can't read fiction I guess we won't be buying any more Moody books and the ones we have will have to be thrown out.

The comments disappeared, of course. So, in Stevie's mind he wasn't judged at all. If no one sees it, it didn't happen.

Based on what they've written, the Maxwell kids are allowed to read some fiction, albeit from a very limited collection.

They stipulate that the fiction can't be "silly" or "entertaining" but must serve a purpose and teach children proper behavior. They won't let their kids read anything that presents authority figures in a bad light, or have children misbehaving without seeing the consequences of such misbehavior.

They also don't want anything "mindless" that is just fun to read and don't teach something. All this on top of the typical conservative christian requirements (no sex/violence/drugs, no unwed mothers, no celebrating nonchristian lifestyles etc).

I think that was probably a long time ago. In recent corners they've said that they cut out all reading because it was a waste of time that could've been spent doing something Godly.

Steve apparently thinks the rest of us can read while we brush our teeth. I don't know about others but I can't read and brush my teeth at the same time.

Just Around the Corner, Vol. 1 is a book of several years of the Corners. Since the arcticles are still portioned into their original length, you can read one in just a few minutes (while you brush your teeth?!).
And yes, that's his misspelling of articles.

Nell

I'd be really interested to see what (if any) fiction the Maxwells would allow their children to read.. Nothing's coming to mind, except the ever present Elsie books.

I passed by a shelf of fundie-looking Christian romances in a Border's that was going out of business recently. There were several volumes with women in old-fashioned dresses with bonnets or hats, titled things like "Waiting for Her Prince" (Made me think of Sarah Mally!) or "For His Glory". They were typically waiting wistfully in a garden or in front of a cottage or some such. I should've picked some up so I could share excerpts with y'all..

I think that was probably a long time ago. In recent corners they've said that they cut out all reading because it was a waste of time that could've been spent doing something Godly.

In their "keeping children's hearts" book, they mentioned those stipulations on fictional readings pertains to mostly young children's books. They have admitted to cutting out fictional/recreational readings for their teenagers and adult children. I know Abby gets read to in recent posts (by grandma maxwell). I think the Maxwell strict standards are meant for the younger children who are still learning to read. Even Momma Maxwell have to admit children can't learn to read without, you know, reading material LOL. The older teens have never been encouraged to read much beyond "Christian biographies" because nothing else meets their "high standards" LOL.

I wonder when they go shopping in pairs if one turns all the magazines around so the covers aren't visible when they go through the checkout lane? Wouldn't want their pure little minds poisoned by the likes of People, US, Newsweek, Time, O, and the like.

I wonder when they go shopping in pairs if one turns all the magazines around so the covers aren't visible when they go through the checkout lane? Wouldn't want their pure little minds poisoned by the likes of People, US, Newsweek, Time, O, and the like.

I had a family do that the other day, in front of me. I immediately turned them back around, while she was still flipping, and the small child watched. It amused me. Bitchy? Yes. But her self righteousness was irritating. Go wait in the family aisle if you can't stand magazines. Plus women who take their children shopping on a week day at noon drive me crazy. They hold up lines arguing over fifty cents and a cart of groceries while those us us with less than an hour and one/two items queue up. In the express lane. At the very least, just wait in the family aisle, it is marked, plus it is magazine free. I told her all of this and she said "I have KIDS" WTH ..

And on topic. Do the Maxwells understand that if there is a creator, he would have been the ones that gave people the ability to emote? Why not enJOY the one life that was given? Experience all the great things that God and People have created? They bother me a lot because they look like nice people, but are so cold and unhappy.

If Sarah hadn't written them? I mean even if the text were exactly the same, I doubt he would have let his kids read something so "fun."

I think Steve would allow the children to read the books. The reason the grand parents suggested that Sarash write the first Moody book was because there was no approved fiction literature for them to read.

Guest Anonymous

I think Steve would allow the children to read the books. The reason the grand parents suggested that Sarash write the first Moody book was because there was no approved fiction literature for them to read.

No doubt the books have to pass Steve's approval before they are published. As Sarah herself often says, she wants "every word to be exactly what the Lord Stevie Jesus would have me write".

I'm afraid the Moody books would put me to sleep, good on Sara for getting published, I find the little house books a little more enjoyable. I'm not sure if she's writing on things she did or wished she did, not to much excitment.

Guest Anonymous
I'm afraid the Moody books would put me to sleep, good on Sara for getting published, I find the little house books a little more enjoyable. I'm not sure if she's writing on things she did or wished she did, not to much excitment.

Sarah didn't 'get published' in the traditional sense. Her family self publish.

My bad thanks anniec,

In that case does anyone think Sara’s books could be published, good for her trying and all but it would be interesting to see who besides the fundies would read them.

Guest Anonymous
My bad thanks anniec,

In that case does anyone think Sara’s books could be published, good for her trying and all but it would be interesting to see who besides the fundies would read them.

Nope, they are quite terrible... :)

Have you read the sample pages on the website? As another Fjerite commented: Sarah doesn't so much write for children, in a childlike way, she writes almost as a child, in a very childish way. Srah says herself that much of the storyline in each book is based on real life.... and sadly, her real life is extraordinarily limited.

Well, on that note:

I know Sarah goes to sit in the bus for a few weeks to write the Moody books, and ... I don't get that. She's not sorting out a plot plan, she's just writing episodic 'dramas', right? And they're based on her life, so she doesn't really need to think about how to adapt it to fit her format, much. I sincerely doubt she needs to do rehauling edits to complete the book.

I'm not trying to dish youth lit against other writing, or even the sort of youth lit where everyone has innocent adventures and there's not much of an overall arc, intricate plot or any particular theme. But from what I know and have heard of these books, it seems to that they would be far more straight-forward, easy, and quick to write, and to edit and complete. If that's your main job and you live in the most boring house in the universe, what would take so long?

Perhaps I'm just wildly off in my estimates of timing: maybe short, straightforward, milquetoast writing takes a whole bunch of planning. I have a feeling I'm not though, and that any planning that does take a while would be the result of Maxwell overcomplication.

Edit to add a final thought: the imagined writing process I have, by the way, is that Sarah sits and essentially writes the book from start to finish, checks for typos, asks for a little input on how to tweak a moment here or there, and it goes off to get printed.

Guest Anonymous

From what is said on the blog the process seems to be:

1 Sarah keeps an 'ideas file', year round in which she keeps notes of real-life repentance and forgiveness dramas, neighbourhood visitation and conversion experiences, belly-laugh-inducing-mama-eating-cheese-with-the-paper-on stories, and so on and such-like.

2 She spends a week or so working on a book outline.

3 She retires to Uriah with a laptop and a large bag of mint M&Ms for a fortnight to write the book proper.

4 The family read and offer suggestions to make it so every word is written 'just as the Lord Jesus would have it written'.

5 Sarah returns to Uriah for another week and edits accordingly.

6 The whole family hunts down neighbourhood pets and Sarah chases unsuspecting kittens up trees, ready for Christopher to photograph and send to Abi-the-illustrator-in-St-Louis, who presumably is blessed with the same calibre of imagination as the Maxwell family.

7 Maxwell and Sons and Daughters Publishing Co. gets to work and knocks out a few dozen books for sale at homeschool conventions.

8 Mama Max trumps Sarah with a Ft Leavenworth Times Best Seller on Beating Depression through Submission and Sweet Prayer and Sarah's book is left on the shelf, along with Sarah herself, to gather dust until Daddy sees fit to publicise it properly.

Oh, thank you, anniec! It occurred to me after I'd posted that there may have been a mention of outlines before.

With you on the illustrator's imaginative capabilities! I can't dig them up, but I think they have posted other photos on the blog that were to be used as illustration references, and the fact that they were required is not very impressive.

I DARE one of us to buy one or more of the books and put it up for sale on amazon.com, so we can post reviews. (Because I'm mean like that.)

Archived