IGNORED

Brexit? Thoughts?

laPapessaGiovanna

1 minute ago, MorningMist said:

I never support us to win anyway, I go off of song. Maybe next year we can just cheer on us not getting any points instead. At least we aren't as hated as Russia.

No, winning hasn't been on the cards for a long time.

Lets be honest, (taking my mind off the real issue) we bribe our way into the final anyway. I've said for a long time that we should go thru the semis like everyone else. At least then we wouldn't go thru the humiliation of getting nul points of everyone.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

No, winning hasn't been on the cards for a long time.

Lets be honest, (taking my mind off the real issue) we bribe our way into the final anyway. I've said for a long time that we should go thru the semis like everyone else. At least then we wouldn't go thru the humiliation of getting nul points of everyone.

At least then we would have a more decent act. If we don't get through we'd still have to pay for the final and we do not want that.

On 6/24/2016 at 0:31 AM, pea3 said:

It is at this moment where I wonder why do I not know and understand more on this issue. I watch tons of CNN and I am embarrassed to say when the coverage switched over to breaking news about this subject as opposed to staying on another mind numbing hour of Trump/Clinton talk, I wondered what is this they are discussing.......I will keep following this thread to possibly understand.

You're not alone. I've only been following it through NPR, but the perspective here at FJ is more personal and relatable. I don't know the major players in the factions. Hamilton & Farage spout some dog whistle phrases like decent people, our and us. I can't fathom what it must feel like for y'all to have this divisiveness between countrymen. 

I thank y'all here for having patience with all my questions.

On a shallow note, Chuka is FAHN! :pearlclutch: 

Sad day for Eurupe, even worse day for the UK as can be seen by comparing the impacts this has on Euro and Pound. I feel for those who kept their minds open for facts instead of fear / hate and will now have to live with that other half of Britain. Just glad there won't be a referendum in Germany. The masses here probably wouldn't be any smarter with a campaign that emotional and ignorant of facts.

American here, watching the world markets go nuts.... "NOT THE SACRED NEST EGG" keeps running through my head.  Ugh.  Tomorrow's opening will be icky. (I realize there is much more at play than my retirement dollars.)

Thanks for sharing a much more "local" perspective on the topic :)

Seriously, I'd like to point out that I like Europe, I like the EU (I did a degree in European Business Management), I like immigration and I like other countries in general.

I don't want to be lumped in with what apparently is the majority of the UK.

I don't expect riots in the streets (which I suspect we would've had if the 52/48 split was the other way) mainly because the rational people lost.

(I'm getting quite bitter now - I'm saying that here because I can't put stuff like that on Facebook)

I'm from the US and heard about this on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, then talked it over with a friend who lives in the UK. I just read online that this referendum isn't legally binding, meaning they don't really have to take this Leave vote into account since Parliament is sovereign. Is David Cameron likely to invoke the Lisbon treaty? Has he given any public comments on what he'll do?

2 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

Seriously, I'd like to point out that I like Europe, I like the EU (I did a degree in European Business Management), I like immigration and I like other countries in general.

I don't want to be lumped in with what apparently is the majority of the UK.

I don't expect riots in the streets (which I suspect we would've had if the 52/48 split was the other way) mainly because the rational people lost.

(I'm getting quite bitter now - I'm saying that here because I can't put stuff like that on Facebook)

I really feel for you. Almost half of your country is with you on this. Please hang in there. 

Summary for the EU Referendum for non-brits:

Vote Remain (49%) - Voters: Liberals, University Students, EU immigrants, 3/4 of House of Commons, lots of actors/general artsy people, All major party leaders except Farage from UKIP, the Bank of England and all other leading finance ministers, scientists, historians. Main Reasons: finances, easier travel, strength in numbers, haters of racism.

Vote Leave (51%) - Voters: Elderly people who want to go back to the good old days, racists, liberal children of racists that know no better, people who have genuinely thought about both sides and think its the best decision, politicians that think they could gain from this, Leader of UKIP, the far right, Some Tory MPs such as Boris Johnson, Some Labour MPs, non-racists that seem racist because they want to reduce immigration. Main Reasons: Don't want Germany(+ the rest of the EU) to dictate our laws, to stop giving money to the EU, Turkey may join soon which means more immigrants, want to be Britain and not an 'United States of Europe' with a European army...did I mention immigration?

I tried to be unbiased - I really did.

@theinvisiblegirl Cameron has said he will invoke article 50 (which is the mechanism to leave) immediately. I believe parliament has to vote on it first, but it will go through.

It is expected to take anywhere from 2 - 10 years to leave (we have to redo 40 years worth of laws and stuff first) so that's a fun decade ahead for us ;) 

5 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I'm from the US and heard about this on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, then talked it over with a friend who lives in the UK. I just read online that this referendum isn't legally binding, meaning they don't really have to take this Leave vote into account since Parliament is sovereign. Is David Cameron likely to invoke the Lisbon treaty? Has he given any public comments on what he'll do?

I doubt it. Ignoring the vote would be political suicide and would indeed cause riots on the street. Cameron's career is over as it is but I it not like the country has nothing to lose.

Far right leaders in Europe (Netherlands and France at least) are now calling for their own referendums.

Great. What a can of worms we've opened.

It's 6:20am here...we should probably go to bed, hopefully we won't have nightmares.

Fucking hell.

German vice-chancellor Sigmar Gabriel says "Damn! Ein schlechter Tag für Europa". Bad day for Europe. Indeed. 

My area has finally announced.

70.7% leave

30.3% remain

Surrounded by idiots indeed.

1 minute ago, CoveredInBees said:

70.7% leave

30.3% remain

My hometown where I voted was 66% leave, 33% remain.

My university city was 48% leave, 51% stay. 

Think I may go back to uni for the summer.

4 minutes ago, Kak said:

But you already knew that.

Yes, but it's not nice to have it pointed out ;)

I feel sorry for those of you who voted to remain in the EU. The fallout is really bad as it is with some of the world markets, and I hate to think of what's going to happen on Wall St in the morning.

11 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

70.7% leave

30.3% remain

You could change your location: 70.7% surrounded by idiots.

2 minutes ago, Kak said:

You could change your location: 70.7% surrounded by idiots.

LOL I might just do that :pb_lol:

Archived