IGNORED

Virginia takes a stand against child marriage

Imrlgoddess

"As young as 12 with permission from a judge." That should be shocking.  Adults marrying children is legal rape. How many of those children are female? I'm betting almost all of them.

I'm in New York, where 14- and 15-year-olds can marry with parental and judicial consent(16-17 only requires parental consent), and I can tell you with all certainty that there would be NO WAY IN HELL I would allow a 14 or 15-year-old child of mine* to marry(and most likely not 16-17 either; I'd tell them "If you're truly in love, it'll stand the wait").  I knew someone a couple of grades behind me who married at 15 because she was pregnant, and although she did come to school fairly regularly after the baby was born, I heard that she did eventually drop out.

*hypothetical since I don't actually have any 

Where I live in Maryland and you want to marry at 16 or 17, you must have parental or guardian approval or a certificate from a physician that you are pregnant. 15 you need both, 14 or under you cannot marry. 

I think regardless of pregnancy 15 is too young for marriage. Glad to see Virginia is doing something, but I'm shocked the age limit is that low in any state! Disgusting.

Why is it no longer rape just because you are married? Does a child molester stop being a molester if it marries the victim?  Sex with a minor is  nonconsensual by law. Why does a certificate negate the illegal act? That makes no sense. Married or not, if a 30, 40, 50....year old man is having Sex with anyone under 18 he is breaking the law and needs to go to jail. End of story.

Archived