IGNORED

Whiskers Turns 16

theinvisiblegirl

So I have three cats - Whiskers, Midnight, and Shadow. While I love them all very much and would take a bullet for them, Whiskers and I have a very special bond. When the owners of her mother brought her, I was the first person out the door to great her and give her some love. It was the day of my 6th birthday party, and at the end of the day no one could find her. My parents and other lingering family members thought she might have gotten out since she was a new little kitten. I was the one who found her, hiding behind a throw pillow on the couch. She's always hated people, but I think that first day really made us bond. Also, I named her the cat equivalent of what it would be like to name a human child "Leg" or "Eyelash", but I was small and my parents let me name her whatever I wanted. Honestly, the weird name fits her because she's a very weird cat.

Anyway, her 16th birthday is on the 30th. She's the only one of the three that we know when her birthday is, and since it's her "sweet 16" I want to make it special. She's my baby. We've purchased party hats because I'm under the delusion that I can somehow get my cats to wear them. Even if I can't get them, though, it'll be fun to try. We've got toys for a "present", but it's from an old Christmas set that we didn't give them all of the stuff from, so there's enough for all three cats. We have cat nip and some treats, and for "cake" I think I'm just going to give her a can of cat food on a plate and stick an unlit candle in it so she can have at it. I may or may not also give her a little ice cream (even though we know cats shouldn't have dairy, all our cats have always had a little bit of ice cream or cheese so they don't have a problem with it - we treat them like royalty).

Have any of you done anything special for a cat or dog's birthday/adoption anniversary? How did you celebrate?

(Picture 1: Whiskers sitting on top of a pan my dad for my mom for Christmas. Picture 2: Midnight

and Shadow

)

2012-12-25 13.05.49.jpg

2013-01-11 00.02.36.jpg

Purdy kitties! My feline headship, Eli, gets a new toy rat and extra treats for his birthday.

OMG! My black cat Milo looks just like your black cat that is facing directly at the camera. I also have a fat and fluffy white cat named Arie. 

Every year they get Christmas gifts, I wish we knew their birthdays so we could celebrate accordingly. Your cats are so so cute

image1.JPG

MiloEdit.jpg

My little Charlie looks like Midnight and Milo, and Whiskers the birthday girl looks like Harry.  We also have Zippy.  The only birthday we know is Zippy's, so they get a group party on Feb 2.  They get tuna and cat nip; that's all they're really interested in.

The dog gets a big plush toy, Kong stuffing, and a pizzle on June 2.

Happy 16th Whiskers!  I don't do things for my cats' birthdays, but they do get Christmas presents.  My Pixel looks like Midnight and is trying to look like Shadow by stealing my other cat's food. 

Happy Sweet Sixteen, Whiskers! 

@theinvisiblegirl, your story of Whiskers reminds me a bit of Bianca and my youngest daughter.  She got Bianca when she was in kindergarten from an employee of my husband's who was moving into an apartment that didn't allow pets.  Bianca was a dilute tortie and she was a big part of our lives all the way through my youngest daughter's grade school years.  In her freshman year at college, Bianca developed oral cancer and had to be euthanized.  We were able to wait until dd's Thanksgiving break so she could say goodbye to her kitty.  Bianca ran out of insulin after her morning dose the day that we had her put down.  Bianca's name, btw, was after the mouse Bianca in The Rescuers.  How many cats do you know that are named after a mouse? She lived for 14 years.

@BunnyBee, you don't have the know the actual birthday of your kitties to celebrate their birthday.  You can figure out a day 6 weeks or whatever from the time that they were adopted and assign them a day for their birthday.  That's what we did anyway.  Lucky, our late Labrador, had her birthday on July 31st, the same day as Harry Potter and JK Rowling.  We baked a birthday cake for Lucky's  13th birthday   as a celebration of her life.  She had stomach cancer, was throwing up constantly and had lost more than 10 pounds in a month.  We took her in for that final appointment the next day.  We've done other things for our pets' birthdays, but Lucky's I remember the best.

Good grief, cancer in our pets sucks!

What pretty kitties! I hope Whiskers has a wonderful sweet 16!

Yes, I celebrate my dog's birthdays (we don't have cats). We normally go every week to get soft serve with Sammy's three best friends. On big days (birthdays/gotcha days), I usually take along some peanut butter and whipped cream to make little sundaes. I often take inexpensive party hats, which the dogs don't like, but deal with for a few minutes. Here's a picture from last year:

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

I celebrated my cats 1st birthday. We adopted them in December at 6mos old and the papers had thier birthdate on them. They were given up because the people who originally adopted them found out they were allergic to them and only had them a week. They look a bit like your Whiskers.image.jpeg

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@GreyhoundFan, Sammy's birthday party looks like it was a blast!  I love the birthday sundae idea!

Thank you! A fun time was had by all, especially once we removed the birthday hats!

Happy (Belated) Birthday Whiskers!  Your cats are beautiful!

I celebrate the anniversary of my seal point's adoption day with special treats and new toys.  She is a typical Siamese- every day is a "worship me day" to her.  She lets all of us know when she is displeased with her perceived lack of attention....

I'm so partial to tabby cats like Whiskers.  I'm catless these days, since Fuzzy Girl crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  All these cat pics make me miss having a kitty, but we travel a bit and it's easier not having a cat.  Because of that, I'm extra lovey to any cat I see that will put up with it. 

It's been a busy few days since I first posted this thread, but let me tell you - Whiskers' birthday was completely underwhelming :laughing-jumpingpurple: I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than they did.

See, I started with the party hats, but I didn't take into account that the hats would work best on a human and better on dogs than cats. So my cats were trying to play with the string, and then I think it was too heavy for them to have on their heads... Or they were just too miserable to pick their heads up. I managed to get it on two of their heads, with pictures that I've attached.

From there, it was all down hill from there. They did enjoy the treats and the food, but they didn't play with the toys nearly as much as I thought. And catnip always starts off fun and ends with hissing at and chasing one another.

But that's life with cats, right? At least I had fun! 

2016-06-30 18.26.16.jpg

2016-06-30 18.34.15.jpg

@theinvisiblegirl That's some serious stink-eye going on! I'm sorry they weren't as enthused about the party as you were. Cats definitely have their own agenda.

There is very serious stink-eye going on there!  A belated Happy Birthday, Whiskers.

@theinvisiblegirl I named a birthday present cat Whiskers when I was 6 too.  It was after the cat food but my parents insisted on spelling it wrong. :)

1952-whiskas.jpg

Archived