IGNORED

What's Going On in Maxhell? A Whole Lotta Nothing, Pt. 2

FundieFarmer

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

It's Melanie everyone says shouldn't have more kids, not Elissa. And, yes, she has a horrible maternal history. First daughter died after never being conscious; she's had troubled pregnancies all along and doesn't seem to conceive easily in the first place.

Oops, that's who I meant! Thank you!

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/06/2016 at 1:41 AM, molecule said:

It could mean several different things. It could mean that they didn't have to pay for it. It could also mean that the place they really wanted to stay (because of location, cost, previous experience, etc.) was available on exactly the nights they needed. Or, it might mean that they had exactly enough extra income to cover the stay. 

I've used the expression to mean all those things at different times. When you feel like you are living close to God and to God's will for you, it's hard not to see everything as provided by God.

"The Lord provided" sometimes just means that there is nothing preventing people from doing what they want to do. They just as easily could've said, "We had the money, and the place we wanted was available. Yay!"

I figure since God is the ultimate source of all good things, I might as well thank God whenever something good occurs, if I remember.  Which isn't as often as I should.

That doesn't preclude thanking any other people involved in the good thing, of course.

9 hours ago, Dandruff said:

So how do the Maxwells, from a spiritual standpoint, classify NR Anna's varicose veins during pregnancy?  Is it punishment?  A painful hint that she keeps not getting?  Have her legs somehow sinned against Him?

I highly doubt they consider NR Anna as a sinner. I suppose it's like Teri's back pain, just bad luck and no God involved. They use "God will" just for their convenience.

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I highly doubt they consider NR Anna as a sinner. I suppose it's like Teri's back pain, just bad luck and no God involved. They use "God will" just for their convenience.

Or like Michelle Duggar claiming that pregnancy sickness is good because you're growing a baby. Yes, you've got varicose veins, but you'll be adding another arrow to your quiver so it's not such a huge problem.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Or like Michelle Duggar claiming that pregnancy sickness is good because you're growing a baby. Yes, you've got varicose veins, but you'll be adding another arrow to your quiver so it's not such a huge problem.

When she had preeclamsia, she didn't  wait at home praying but she went to the hospital, had a C-section and send the baby to a NICU and then  called it God's miracle!. So God caused Josie to almost die and to suffer months in the NICU and then healed her?.  If that's God, please don't count on me to pray.

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

It's all a test.  God's just testing to see if she's really seriously committed to her ordained role as Productive Uterus.

I've gotta ask...

What is the story behind "growing up around cameras?"

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I've gotta ask...

What is the story behind "growing up around cameras?"

That quote is in reference to a reply to a reader comment on the Maxwell's 18 November 2015 blog post, in which they discuss the creation of their most recent family photo (some of the pictures were used in this past Raptureversary meme contest).  It has become quite the fodder for snark on multiple Maxwell threads! Here is a copy of the exchange, with the phrase bolded:

1. Sue says:

Everyone is looking at the camera, and smiling, even the little ones! That is quite an accomplishment! I have 4 children, and I know how difficult it is to get a really quality picture, with everyone looking happy – we don’t have too many of those! I always enjoy seeing pics of your growing family.

Maybe it helps that they’ve grown up around cameras. 

On 6/29/2016 at 7:49 AM, fundiefan said:

I'm still pissed that their god continues to make their decisions and provide for their vacations while, you know, war is happening around the world; starvation; disease; poverty; murder...need I go on?

An acquaintance posted on FB the other day that she'd arrived home from a trip to Istanbul just hours before the terrorist attack at the airport. Not the airport she flew from, but still, you know, just Such A Close Call. So she and her friends were thanking the Lord for his protection. Too bad the Lord didn't give two shits about all the people at the other airport.

14 hours ago, Elegant Mess said:

That quote is in reference to a reply to a reader comment on the Maxwell's 18 November 2015 blog post, in which they discuss the creation of their most recent family photo (some of the pictures were used in this past Raptureversary meme contest).  It has become quite the fodder for snark on multiple Maxwell threads! Here is a copy of the exchange, with the phrase bolded:

Maybe it helps that they’ve grown up around cameras. 

Because children nowadays don't grown up around cameras. Oh come on Maxwells, you are not SO SPESHUL. Most families take thousands of pictures and despite that it's difficult to take a picture of several kids looking at camera and smiling because normals kids are not robots!

About the grown up around cameras thing: I think Sarah was trying to say something like...we take posed family portraits often, so the kids are used to having to sit still and look at the camera. Instead she just isn't articulate. Is there some reason her responses to blog readers have to be so terse? It's okay to use more words and express a thought clearly. 

On June 13, 2016 at 4:13 PM, HereticHick said:

I want a fundy photographer  to do a glorious mashup of all their trends:

mummified gauze newborn, with mommy & daddy's wedding bands on its toes, lying on a railroad track.

My brother is an engineer for Union Pacific. In his nightmares, he hits people getting pics taken on the tracks. You can't stop a train is not just an expression. 

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

About the grown up around cameras thing: I think Sarah was trying to say something like...we take posed family portraits often, so the kids are used to having to sit still and look at the camera. Instead she just isn't articulate. Is there some reason her responses to blog readers have to be so terse? It's okay to use more words and express a thought clearly. 

I don't think those terse responses are Sarah's. They have the stink of Steve all over them and my guess is he reads to comments so he can filter out the naysayers, lest they expose the children to bad influences.

I'm feeling very miffed these days that my gateway fundies are so damned boring that I can barely rouse myself to check the blog. Come on, Steve. Throw us a bone. Another unintelligible "Young Presenters" video maybe? Something, anything…

On 7/1/2016 at 7:35 AM, louisa05 said:

My brother is an engineer for Union Pacific. In his nightmares, he hits people getting pics taken on the tracks. You can't stop a train is not just an expression. 

I'd like to loudly second this.  My dad is an engineer for BNSF and we grew up with train tracks just outside the backyard fence.  Walking on the tracks when you're paying attention and have good hearing is one thing.  Suicide by train, taking pictures, seeing how close you can get to the train, and stopping your car on the tacks when you've hit traffic all make you a fucking moron and you deserve your fate, but not at the expense of the mental health of the railroad employees.  

Mary apparently changed tires on their cars. Wow, how exciting.

Anna wanted to help, but was busy with work.....hmm, what work would that be? 

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Changing tires may not be exciting but I'll give props to the Maxwells for "allowing" the women to learn things like this. Other fundies would demand that they play damsel in distress and wait helplessly until a he-man came to their rescue. The Maxwells , on the other hand, while still professing their belief in strict gender tones, have always encouraged the women-folk to get involved in some decidedly "manly" tasks. Among other things, they helped with the construction of the house, Anna's done electrical and plumbing work and helped with vehicle maintenance, and now Mary's doing the same. And the men have done their share of cooking and cleaning as well. I don't think we'll ever see a stay-at-home Maxwell dad or Maxwell and Daughters Construction, but their willingness to step outside the box even a little bit in this regard is laudable. 

Did I just defend the Maxwells? Shoot me now.

7 hours ago, sparkles said:

Changing tires may not be exciting but I'll give props to the Maxwells for "allowing" the women to learn things like this. Other fundies would demand that they play damsel in distress and wait helplessly until a he-man came to their rescue. The Maxwells , on the other hand, while still professing their belief in strict gender tones, have always encouraged the women-folk to get involved in some decidedly "manly" tasks. Among other things, they helped with the construction of the house, Anna's done electrical and plumbing work and helped with vehicle maintenance, and now Mary's doing the same. And the men have done their share of cooking and cleaning as well. I don't think we'll ever see a stay-at-home Maxwell dad or Maxwell and Daughters Construction, but their willingness to step outside the box even a little bit in this regard is laudable. 

Did I just defend the Maxwells? Shoot me now.

I'll do a little more (gendered) defending: Mary's hairdo is super cute. And yes, I'm glad that at least the Maxwell girls know how to handle power tools and fix cars. It's a pretty mundane thing, but I'm glad that the Maxwells, unlike the Duggars, seem to enjoy working and teach their kids to actually work in one way or another. I know they're not going to go get real jobs and they're shamefully uneducated, but they seem entrepreneurial and diligent enough to handle themselves, which is more than I can say for the Duggar children.

I was bothered by the need to be 'an asset'. 

It's so Maxwellian. It can't be a useful skill they learn, but an asset. 

An asset to Steve, of course, but it makes me gag.

1 minute ago, fundiefan said:

I was bothered by the need to be 'an asset'. 

It's so Maxwellian. It can't be a useful skill they learn, but an asset. 

An asset to Steve, of course, but it makes me gag.

It bothered me, too.  Call it a "life skill", Steve.  There's something really offensive about calling it an asset but I can't quite describe how I feel about it.

17 hours ago, anjulibai said:

The one comment posted asked about what Anna was doing, but ut wasn't directly answered. They did say though that they'd post the girls' daily schedule. So that should be interesting. And by interesting I mean startlingly dull.

I don't disagree with you @sparkles, but I can't help but think the females are encouraged to learn these skills just to be an asset to the men in their lives, presently and in the future.

43 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I don't disagree with you @sparkles, but I can't help but think the females are encouraged to learn these skills just to be an asset to the men in their lives, presently and in the future.

That may be true, but regardless of WHY they're learning these skills, they're still learning them, something other fundies wouldn't allow. These are practical skills that will serve them well, whether they end up as maiden aunts or helpmeets or, hopefully, independent women. This is one example of why I think the female Maxwells would be just fine if they had to go out in the workforce. They're not exactly shrinking violets. 

Can you picture JRod allowing her girls to dig a trench or learn how to torque a tire?

6 hours ago, donnal said:

The one comment posted asked about what Anna was doing, but ut wasn't directly answered. They did say though that they'd post the girls' daily schedule. So that should be interesting. And by interesting I mean startlingly dull.

>>>>> I wouldn't hold your breath.

We are still waiting to find out how to cut salad with a pizza cutter....

Oh Stevie, you are a tease. 

New post. Mary cleans the wood of the beds, maybe I'm crazy but who the hell does that? Oh I know the ceiling fans cleaners. I don't like calling people weirdos but damn.. 

At least they're helping NR Anna, that woman never stops.

I work part-time as a house cleaner. If I have a job where the work is done well before my time is up I look for things to do. Like cleaning the front of kitchen cabinets, dusting wooden bed frames, wiping down skirting boards or the grooves on timber furniture. These are 'make up time' jobs so that I am giving my clients value for money, They are not noteworthy. At least, they are not to me, but obviously they are in Maxhell.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived