IGNORED

Tedious, Complicated, and Particular: Erika Shupe, Part 8

FundieFarmer

10 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Excuse me, I'm pretty sure Jesus also said, "Blessed are those who schedule, for they will be the organizers of the Kingdom of Heaven"

I KNEW I had the wrong translation of Bible! Does this one also mention the Godliness of Tatertots?

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

I KNEW I had the wrong translation of Bible! Does this one also mention the Godliness of Tatertots?

And tatertot casseroles, too  :kitty-wink:

Sounds like you're a KJB (knowledge of Jim Bob) only, kinda person?

7 hours ago, SrMaryEloquentia said:
12 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Excuse me, I'm pretty sure Jesus also said, "Blessed are those who schedule, for they will be the organizers of the Kingdom of Heaven"

Oh great, that's one thing to look forward to, once I'm dead!

I'm sorry to tell you, but once you make an FJ profile you are Officially Hellbound. #trufax

On June 15, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Coy Koi said:

I don't think you are reading too much into it, but I don't feel sorry for her, just her daughters (and all her kids). I know what it's like to be a teenager with a mother who thinks you're out-of-control and tries desperately to regain the control, when you're actually just acting like a normal teenager. It made my teen years hell and both of my sisters had the same experience. And my mom wasn't 1/1000th as bad as Erika.

I remember once when I was about 14, my best friend and I (both goody-goodies who got straight As, had never tried any substance, etc) went to her house because her older sister (about 18) was having a party. We were not welcome to join the party, nor did we even consider it an option, but we felt cool to just stay upstairs in my friend's room knowing that a party was going on in the house. My mom found out and said I could never go to my friend's house again (and she knew and liked my friend and her parents, she just didn't like her sister, who admittedly was kind of an asshole). She wasn't being hyperbolic, she was dead serious. She did eventually relent, but my entire teen years were filled with ridiculous overreactions like that.

My mom genuinely expected teenagers to not only never do anything they're not supposed to, but to not even want to. I once asked her didn't she EVER get in trouble as a teenager, and she thought about it for a while and then said she remembers getting in trouble a couple times for leaving crumbs on the counter. I am sympathetic to my mom, because she meant well, but she just couldn't relate to typical teenage rebellion AT ALL and she really just was so terrified that we were starting to go down a dangerous path of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll. Erika, though, is such a soul-sucking, fascist bitch that I can't feel bad for her. Just those poor, poor kids.

Oh god, this reminds me of my childhood best friend's fundie mother. 

My friend got married when she was 17.  I think she did it to get away from her mother.

I remember shortly before her wedding her mom got mad at her because she spilled her drink at a fast food restaurant. 

It seemed so weird and stupid.  One day she was a child getting yelled at for spilling her drink and a few weeks later she was a full-fledged adult by virtue of marriage.

Unfortunately, in my way of thinking, she married a fundie. She traded a rock for a hard place. :/

At her wedding, when they were leaving, people threw rice. It was minute rice, I kid you not. :(

36 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

I'm sorry to tell you, but once you make an FJ profile you are Officially Hellbound. #trufax

Oh, dear. Ken Alexander is going to be sooooo surprised... 

7 hours ago, Jellybean said:

If we're talking about Erika Shupe-id here, shouldn't that be 'vein repetitions'?

*smile*

"Bloody hell yes!!"

3 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

Yep. Says so right under my nickname. I better keep posting until I make it to "lurking since Yuku".

10 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

@IntrinsicallyDisordered that was a perfect description of how I have also felt about the "no works, only believing in Jesus" stuff too, so thank you. I was raised catholic and never understood the side eye catholicism gets from lazy asses like the Duggars. 

Back to Erika:

Whenever she posts something on Facebook, I picture her so pleased with herself until the comments come in. Then, I picture her bewildered and confused. I think she believes everyone will just write "mmm...so nice" and when they don't she is lost. I'm surprised she touches on subjects like rape and teenagers turning away from their upbringing. She's not prepared for nor does she want discussion on the LFOP facebook page it seems. 

I wonder too about why she posts those things when she clearly doesn't want a discussion and rarely comes back to comment, even when addressed specifically. She just seems clueless when she does make a comment, she just had such terrible reading comprehension skills or something. The exchange with the commenter about how she was a diamond among the  internet or something because she circled back around to clarify? Wtf, she just answered Erica question. Yet Erica never responded to the commenter's question.

13 hours ago, Jellybean said:

If we're talking about Erika Shupe-id here, shouldn't that be 'vein repetitions'?

*smile*

That just sounds like Erika's a heroin user. It'd explain the constant *beaming* and *grinning*. 

On 6/10/2016 at 1:58 PM, amandaaries said:

" ....you can lead an idiot to logic and good reasoning, but you can't make them think."

If you haven't trademarked this phrase, I shall be using it often.  

Erika's already talking about Happy Fathers Day. Eh? I thought it was Sunday 19th. It's currently 2:22 am here (Germany), 18th June, so where she is it'd be Friday 17th. Unless they usually celebrate early, or unless they're away on Sunday or planning to be busy the whole day.

Maybe Sunday is god's day, so any other father figures have to pick a different day?

Can we go back to the hormone poisoning that @mango_fandangomentioned? Was that it, or did Erika share any more details? 

21 hours ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

Does she think Catholics aren't aware of Christ's sacrifice?  What does she think the whole center of the mass is?  The crucifix?  We're morbidly obsessed with the sacrifice.  It's like when someone makes you a huge, amazingly rich and delicious feast - do you sit around on your ass while they do all the cleanup because helping would somehow diminish what they've given you?  Or do you get up and chip in with the dishes because you're not a spoiled brat?  Sure, the host could totally do it alone, but why NOT help?

This is such a perfect analogy.  One I hope to get a lot of use out of in the future.  :kitty-wink:

On 6/17/2016 at 7:09 AM, TeddyBonkers said:

And don't forget the time Jesus went to the Wedding at Cana and brought Froot Loops for dessert. 

Or the Sermon on the Mount when he gave every hungry person in attendance a single jelly bean of a flavor of his choosing. 

Rather than genealogies, there are detailed schedules for every hour of the day.

The story of Lazarus raised from the dead is illustrated by Jill Rodrigues:

Spoiler

jrod7-3026.png

5 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

Rather than genealogies, there are detailed schedules for every hour of the day.

The story of Lazarus raised from the dead is illustrated by Jill Rodrigues:

jrod7-3026.png

I literally jumped when I saw that. She looks like a cast member from a low budget haunted house.

Sorry for startling you! Will try to hide the image behind a spoiler

3 hours ago, Jellybean said:

Sorry for startling you! Will try to hide the image behind a spoiler

Ha! It's okay. J-Rod needs some serious makeup lessons though. I don't keep up with her threads (they just go too fast for me), but I understand she's a cosmetologist? I can't believe anyone would give her enough passing grades to get a degree/certificate in stuff like that.

On June 17, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Jucifer said:

My friend got married when she was 17.  I think she did it to get away from her mother.

I remember shortly before her wedding her mom got mad at her because she spilled her drink at a fast food restaurant. 

It seemed so weird and stupid.  One day she was a child getting yelled at for spilling her drink and a few weeks later she was a full-fledged adult by virtue of marriage.

And yet... if women are seen as perpetually inferior and incapable, like how many families discussed here seem to think women need either a father or husband to keep them on the right path, why does it matter if they get married so young?

When marriage is treated as a transfer of authority, not the decision of two mature adults, it doesn't seem completely illogical (like it should!) to treat the woman as a child mere days before her wedding. 

Yes, Jill-Rod says she's a cosmetologist. Like you, I'm amazed by that, given the way she uses make-up for herself and her children. She seems to have moved on to black eyeliner which, though severe and a bit zombie-ish, is a step up, in my opinion, from the green eyeliner that she used to wear (in the same sort of quantities as the current black eyeliner). It's a shame, because I think she could be really pretty (her children too) if they could just all dial it down a notch or two.

I find Erika's make-up quite dated, and would love to see her change it up a little bit, perhaps with a different lipstick colour, but I understand budget and time pressures. It always seems unfair that the fundie men can look however they like, but the women are expected to be slim and elegant, modest but feminine. That line between not enough effort (judged as slovenly or showing a lack of respect for husband?) and too much (making it an 'idol' or not looking modest enough). I'm trying to say that I recognise my own unfairness in judging Erika's looks, rather than her beliefs and actions, which matter far more.

One thing that always made me laugh about Erika was her insistence that skirts don't draw attention to the dreaded crotch. In her modest dressing/skirts only post (which seems to have been removed from the blog), there was a great example of a modest denim skirt with a seam that looked like a giant arrow, pointing right at the crotch (and making said crotch far more accessible than trousers). I've put a picture of a similar skirt behind the spoiler.

Spoiler

image.jpeg

While I was looking for Erika's missing skirts post, I found a guest post of hers on the Modest Mom blog (discussed elsewhere in QoS). I didn't know they were connected. Did you?

On 6/19/2016 at 3:09 AM, Jellybean said:

Yes, Jill-Rod says she's a cosmetologist. Like you, I'm amazed by that, given the way she uses make-up for herself and her children. She seems to have moved on to black eyeliner which, though severe and a bit zombie-ish, is a step up, in my opinion, from the green eyeliner that she used to wear (in the same sort of quantities as the current black eyeliner). It's a shame, because I think she could be really pretty (her children too) if they could just all dial it down a notch or two.

I find Erika's make-up quite dated, and would love to see her change it up a little bit, perhaps with a different lipstick colour, but I understand budget and time pressures. It always seems unfair that the fundie men can look however they like, but the women are expected to be slim and elegant, modest but feminine. That line between not enough effort (judged as slovenly or showing a lack of respect for husband?) and too much (making it an 'idol' or not looking modest enough). I'm trying to say that I recognise my own unfairness in judging Erika's looks, rather than her beliefs and actions, which matter far more.

One thing that always made me laugh about Erika was her insistence that skirts don't draw attention to the dreaded crotch. In her modest dressing/skirts only post (which seems to have been removed from the blog), there was a great example of a modest denim skirt with a seam that looked like a giant arrow, pointing right at the crotch (and making said crotch far more accessible than trousers). I've put a picture of a similar skirt behind the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg

While I was looking for Erika's missing skirts post, I found a guest post of hers on the Modest Mom blog (discussed elsewhere in QoS). I didn't know they were connected. Did you?

I think I recall something like that. Caroline has posted guest posts in the past from her sister and other women. From her blog though, it doesn't seem like she's as insane about scheduling as Erika is. Though...who is?

Erika's makeup is definitely dated, but I think a little less so than her hair. I think just adding a little bit of contour to her eye makeup would modernize it a bit, and probably be a little more flattering. I wouldn't say I'm judging Erika's looks- she's not a terrible looking lady-- but to me, her hair and makeup reflects her personality- rigid and unchanging. 

Also, that skirt is hilarious. It really does look like an arrow pointing at the most magical, mystical crotch that apparently ever existed.

7 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I think I recall something like that. Caroline has posted guest posts in the past from her sister and other women. From her blog though, it doesn't seem like she's as insane about scheduling as Erika is. Though...who is?

Erika's makeup is definitely dated, but I think a little less so than her hair. I think just adding a little bit of contour to her eye makeup would modernize it a bit, and probably be a little more flattering. I wouldn't say I'm judging Erika's looks- she's not a terrible looking lady-- but to me, her hair and makeup reflects her personality- rigid and unchanging. 

Also, that skirt is hilarious. It really does look like an arrow pointing at the most magical, mystical crotch that apparently ever existed.

It must be one of those skirts which was originally a pair of jeans but got taken apart and made into a skirt. 

Latest repost is about napping. She says that she requires her kids to nap through age five, but she completely stopped all scheduled naps about two years ago IIRC. If a kid naps during alone time now, that's their choice.

Same old, same old. 

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Latest repost is about napping. She says that she requires her kids to nap through age five, but she completely stopped all scheduled naps about two years ago IIRC. If a kid naps during alone time now, that's their choice.

Same old, same old. 

This is true. I remember when I was looking in the way back machine at her old schedules that she had the children playing alone at age three. So again - she writes about stuff that she never actually implemented. Based on her schedules it would appear that the kids napped until max age 3.  

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived