IGNORED

Calling All Grammar Police!

nelliebelle1197

25 minutes ago, SpurgeonSquarepants said:

Thank God for collage.

Without collage, I would never have learned proper punctuation, nor how to use Mod Podge.  I am glad all that money went to my successful Pinterest projects.  I would not be the Pinterest Professional™ I am now without the collage pedigree.

@happy atheist  Can "I am a Degreed Collage Graduate" become a "thing"? (If it is not already...)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Loveday said:

If the books she's reading aloud to them are any indication, they are indeed. 

http://safewhereverigo.blogspot.com/2014/07/1st-grade-read-aloud-review.html

Yes! She seems excited and enthusiastic, like she is enjoying this journey with her kids. 

I am sorry she is under the horrible PeePeeZsu spell.

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I'm gonna preface this with a disclaimer.  I am not good with grammar.  However, even I can see what a hot mess this writing is.  

The comma splices!  The randomly capitalized nouns ("Tractor" being the most obvious).  To/too!  Or the most hillbilly-egregious, "He don't like it."  

It's awful, I couldn't even get through the first half-page.  Those poor children!  

But, but, but!

You're not (presumably) homeskooling your kids and passing down this kind of hot mess to them.

There's certainly nothing wrong with not having a 100% complete handle on grammar. I have a PhD in English and I catch myself making some grammar mistakes more frequently than I would like. That's what proofreading and having a peer review your work prior to releasing it out into the world is for. :pb_lol:

I am also painfully aware grammar can be a culture-related thing. So, I get a lot of ESL students who make frequent mistakes not because they're not intelligent, but because they are still not familiar with the language and its structure.

Language is also a social class thing. Neither of my parents went to college, and my mom is from a very, very poor background. Serious poverty. Like no electricity and living in a one-room shack (with a family of 12 kids) in the mid-to-late 60s type of poverty. Like her mother out stumbling around in a stream while weak from hunger to catch fish so her kids wouldn't go hungry level of poverty.

As a result, she didn't finish high school. And let's just say she and her siblings don't speak the Queen's English.

But, they're not out there homeskooling their kids. They instead made sure their kids got the best education they could.

I'm always attuned to my students who make grammar mistakes because of what I suspect are cultural issues (whether ESL or social-class-related), and I spend time helping them or getting them connected to the resources they need to help them. Because at the end of the day, no matter how great or earth-shattering your ideas might be, if they aren't packaged in an authoritative manner (and good grammar provides credibility and authority), not many people will listen.

/soapbox

@EyeQueue what a great story you share  :)  I always say, make the next generation better than the ones before them  :) 

And kudos to you for making sure students get the resources they need to better themselves - unfortunately, I know too many educators who hold their noses at a "challenge" like an ESL student... or one who might need a little "encouragement" - which they don't get at home.  Shame on the educators, but they are out there.  (I am sure you know some...)

And I am sure I had cultural issues when being immersed in Spanish at age 9.... IIRC, everyone was kind when I botched verbiage and helped me along.  It's the right thing to do, if someone is truly trying to figure things out.

I am assuming this person with the blog (almost typed "blood"  LOL) did not have a great education.  I hope she finds some resources/assistance outside her "pay grade" so to speak, to help her kids learn.

@EyeQueue So many good points in your post. 

I don't think her grammar is lack of intelligence but lack of education. I am guessing her thinking skills are not well developed just because she seems to like the Andersons. This woman does not seem hateful and spiteful, but it could be just a matter of time if she continues to follow them. 

I have lots of mixed feelings on this one.

3 hours ago, amandaaries said:

The space before commas and periods seem to pop up more and more in Millennial writing.  I blame the Internet (and those kids on my damn lawn!). The younger folk seem to believe these marks of punctuation need their own space.

They are using autocomplete, which puts a space after each word so you're ready to start tapping out the next word.

I do a lot of copy editing at work, but I really don't like to be judgmental about grammar. If everyone could write well, what would they pay me for? But then I'm assuming that people can recognize when they need an editor-- or an English teacher. Not everyone needs to be Shakespeare but they do need basic reading comprehension and the skills to put together a resume or write a comprehensible email. From the looks of that blog, I doubt the kids are learning much.

7 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

@EyeQueue So many good points in your post. 

I don't think her grammar is lack of intelligence but lack of education. I am guessing her thinking skills are not well developed just because she seems to like the Andersons. This woman does not seem hateful and spiteful, but it could be just a matter of time if she continues to follow them. 

I have lots of mixed feelings on this one.

I have zero mixed feelings. This woman is uneducated yet arrogant enough to think she can educate children. She is a follower and watcher of L'il PeePee's brand of crazy. She is hateful, harmful and arrogant, no matter how simple and harmless she may seem.

am I the only one who noticed that one of her children is named as Job ? 

I mean gramatics A side , that Name certainly cought my Eyes that I amost forget how t'o spelll 

I have no sympathy for her after reading some of her anti-gay rants. She is just as vile as Zsu-Zsu. 

These were a church sale find , I thought they were cute , I love going to church sales .these were from the church sale to .

Noah is eating baby cereal now , but he don't like it , he fusses the whole time we try to feed him . 

Job is always climbing on my freezer in the laundry room which he's not supposed to do , he still loves to climb :) 

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say she's got some challenges. It's not so much the grammar and spelling as bad as they are but the writing style -- it really strikes me as particularly child-like. I am not terribly comfortable snarking here, but I do think she shouldn't be homeschooling her kids unless she's doing it through an outside program (k-12 or something like that). 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Her writing reminds me of my ex-inlaws' speech patterns.  They weren't necessarily mentally challenged nor learning disabled, just undereducated people who lived all their lives among people who used the same grammar and idioms (e.g., "...'til he was wore out").  With radio & TV, they knew there were other ways to speak and when they realized a teacher was among them, for instance, they would self-correct to proper noun-verb agreement at least. But the other was their mother tongue. 

Jesus wept. 

2 hours ago, tsukinokawa said:

am I the only one who noticed that one of her children is named as Job ? 

One of those J names that it's surprising the Duggars passed up. It's a great Biblical J-name and even has some sounds similar to their holy grail Joy Anna/Johanna/Jana name family. 

Am I right in that she's a proper fundy now, but came to it late enough that the eldest graduated from school, and is going to a college where she gets to do normal things like spring break?

That's the saving grace for the littles, big sis can't be kicked out because its not her fault she wasn't right, but is still around (hopefully) given them ideas.  Here's to hoping she doesn't cave and go fundy herself.

I was impressed (and surprised) when I saw the books they are reading.  They also appear to do some hands-on science. She obviously spends a little money and lots of time on homeschooling, which puts her ahead of some others I can think of.  Unfortunately,  when educating a child, "E" for effort isn't enough. :(  I hope she will realize her limitations and seek outside help as they get older, but the fact that she thinks her writing and grammar are good enough to put out there on a blog...I'm not optimistic.

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Her writing reminds me of my ex-inlaws' speech patterns.  They weren't necessarily mentally challenged nor learning disabled, just undereducated people who lived all their lives among people who used the same grammar and idioms (e.g., "...'til he was wore out").  With radio & TV, they knew there were other ways to speak and when they realized a teacher was among them, for instance, they would self-correct to proper noun-verb agreement at least. But the other was their mother tongue. 

I grew up knowing several people who "talk like that." Even though it wasn't the south or anything. It's just undereducated people who reinforce that habit. When go back east and visit, I have to watch myself very carefully, because I either slip into it (and that sucks) or they yell at me for being "a jerk" or both at the same time. It's a PITA, honestly. 

16 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

http://safewhereverigo.blogspot.com/2012/12/false-repentance-doctrine-exposed.html

Check out the comment on her reposting of L'il PeePee's L'il Video - none other than Latraviata, acting like a you know what.

It's gone now. :( What did it say? 

42 minutes ago, Emilycharlotte said:

I was impressed (and surprised) when I saw the books they are reading.  They also appear to do some hands-on science. She obviously spends a little money and lots of time on homeschooling, which puts her ahead of some others I can think of.  Unfortunately,  when educating a child, "E" for effort isn't enough. :(  I hope she will realize her limitations and seek outside help as they get older, but the fact that she thinks her writing and grammar are good enough to put out there on a blog...I'm not optimistic.

I saw a comment on her blog where somebody recommended a reading resource and she was so thankful to her she seems open anyway. It looks like she may be using Sonlight curriculum. 

I am heartened by the variety of books. I don't underestimate what an influence good books can have on a person. I am secretly hoping it rubs off on the mom too.

It's only a matter of time before she notices the traffic to her blog. It will be interesting to see her reaction if and when she finds this.

41 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I grew up knowing several people who "talk like that." Even though it wasn't the south or anything. It's just undereducated people who reinforce that habit. When go back east and visit, I have to watch myself very carefully, because I either slip into it (and that sucks) or they yell at me for being "a jerk" or both at the same time. It's a PITA, honestly. 

It's gone now. :( What did it say? 

http://safewhereverigo.blogspot.com/2012/12/after-tribulation.html#comment-form

I linked to the wrong post.

12 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Why. Just why? What is the point? What does she think will happen? 

Lat? Who knows. She is a lunatic.

I have seen better grammar in my 9 year old nephew's homework. She doesn't even seem to grasp the basic. 

Erm, wow. Grammar aside, she is obviously not the brightest bulb in the bunch. :/

From her May 2010 post on Birth Control:

But now I can teach my children that birth control is wrong , and they won't make the same mistake I made , because I'm going to preach to them and teach them , I hope this helps you also so you won't make that mistake either . If you will read the paper that comes in your birth control pill pack you will find that those pills do not keep you from getting pregnant , which is what most of us are taught . You can actually get pregnant and 7 days later the baby dies because the pill has made your womb a hostile environment , so you have a silent abortion . I want to make it clear that all forms of birth control is wrong

From her June 5, 2010 post about a False Preacher:

Just wanted to let everybody know about this Pastor that is

preaching a false gospel . His name is Pastor Paul Allison ,

his ministry is allison evangelistic ministries he will tell you that he

believes salvation is by grace through faith , but he doesn't believe

in eternal security . He wrote a book called

Eternal Security Fact or Fiction , that's why his sermons

revolve around repenting of your sins . His church is

Mount Nebo Baptist Church , in Kingsport Tn.

It is a so called Independent Fundamental church but

He believes that you can lose your salvation , If you believe that you

can lose your salvation then you must believe
that you have to do something in order to keep it ,

which = works salvation . Be careful of these false prophets

She's a 911 truther too and here's explanation why: 

Yes I am a 911 truther , I believe that 911 was an inside job .
I can't believe that a piece of paper could survive a plane
crash and nothing else , and also a building like no. 7 doesn't
just fall like It's blown up .

Abortion doctors are hired hit men too y'all.

The public school system is anti God .
They teach evolution , planned parenthood , 
environmentalism , and as if this is not enough 
now they are going to teach alternative lifestyle 
(yes how to be a queer) . I've heard people say 
oh that only happens in California , well I know 
I live in a place where we are behind on a lot 
of things , but everything catches up to us 
eventually , like the red light cameras .

It wasn't that long ago
when public school did not exist and everyone
home schooled their kids .

they used the word gay which I don't because
I think they ruined this word when they used
it to label queers . I was looking through my
daughters test review book that she had brought
home and found this -

If true, that's scary, glad her daughter and everyone at the school was okay. Also, she is indeed uneducated. She did not even complete high school:

there was a shooting at my daughters high school , nobody was hurt except for the gunman , he was shot and killed by a police officer . Another reason to consider homeschooling . Dallas helped me out so much before school started back , one evening she cooked dinner by herself , but now that she is back to school I don't ask her to do more than a few chores , she is in band and that is hard work and long hours so she really does not have much time for anything . I have really felt bad today , my house is in a mess , but the mess will be waiting for me when I start feeling better :) . I am still trying to study for my GED , I am wishing now that I would have finished school , I have to get my GED so I can home school Riley.

Note: I looked up incidents for August and September 2010 and found nothing, but if gunman never fired then was not listed. Only incidents were at Mumford High in Detroit where two students were wounded and gunman is now serving more than 25 years in prison and at the University of Texas with no injuries or fatalities besides the gunman who killed himself. There was also a gunman who took hostages at the Discovery Channel HQ. That's all I was able to find, so who knows. 

I don't believe in male gynecologist , and we are losing a lot of our women doctor's around here 

But women should not be educated. I cannot wrap my brain around this logic. 

^^      Male gynecologists are real!

I guess I got over my squeamishness.

It seems like she just repeats what people tell her without any thought. 

I believe that salvation is by grace through faith , plus nothing minus nothing and once saved always saved , king James only

Way to contradict yourself immediately!

I suppose a Muslum is a Muslim slum.

16 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

They are using autocomplete, which puts a space after each word so you're ready to start tapping out the next word.

Good autocomplete also removes the space when you punctuate.

Archived