IGNORED

Calling All Grammar Police!

nelliebelle1197

2 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

For comparison of similarities, I give you the following from Taryn:

"I even took a permanent marker and crossed out the word-magic- on a Magic Chef kitchen appliance that was in our house when we moved here and plan on replacing anyway. We are Creationists and hope to visit the Ceation Museum in Kentucky soon. Magicians is in the same catagory as astrologers in the KJV Bible. Magic and astrology are in the same catagory."

Taryn is a magical unicorn. Where IS she??

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She homeschools those poor children? 

Sixty- three , in the first post .

Whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhy? 

I've decided (well, heck, why not? All of these child-family-religioun-education self-made experts make wild decisions, I will too) the extra spaces around commas and periods are for the Holy Spirit. I know for a fact, becauce I just made up this wondrous fact, that the Holy Spirit is greedy and wants ALL THE SPACES.

* not an Officer of the Grammar Police but did play the closing quotation mark in her grade 4 class play.

Bless you, @CyborgKin  , for taking the bullet for us  , to count.

Your Efforts are duly noted  .

And I thought it was bad when the website of the local "Bible Baptist" church's Christian school had the word "curriculum" spelled "cirriculum."  Twice.(The last time I looked, it had been corrected, but it still referred to its support of a missionary to "Muslums." :pb_rollseyes:)

35 minutes ago, Karma said:

True story - one of my brothers has his own business.  It's called Dons carpentry.  (Actually his name is not Don, and it's not carpentry, but you get the idea.) I tried to tell him at the time that there should be an apostrophe....

At least if he hires another fellow with his same name, then it would be a bit better (though still not correct) :my_blush:

I can remember thinking, when the internet first appeared, that it might help people become better spellers and punctuators, since a computerized search only searches for *exactly* what you tell it to.  But Google outsmarted themselves with search software that can say "you probably meant this, eh?"  Darn...

@SpurgeonSquarepants - a dangling preposition?!  ....nails a chalkboard on  ....... a cupcake no frosting with....a pizza cheese without!

Or... a dead skunk in the engine compartment of your car (in regular English).

Hmph and a foot stomp.

Woooooow. Those poor kids are receiving a crap education! Her kids are beautiful,  though, i think.

Weird randomness: one of the posts shows her daughter (Riley) getting ready for a violin recital... i have the exact same dress as her! (I'm small enough to shop in the kids department at JCPenny. Never mind that I'm 30, they have cute stuff!) < / off- topic >

50 minutes ago, SpurgeonSquarepants said:

"I think the kids enjoyed these the most , I didn't do a very good job of cutting the potato's though but they still had fun."

Ouch. My soul. It burns.

Well, I guess I'm glad that the potatoes had fun. 

I don't know what bothers me more; the misplaced apostrophe or the masochistic potatoes. 

What's the deal with the 20-year-old daughter? She seems largely absent (to be fair, I only scanned to 2014-ish). 

One of her kids was born with a cleft lip and palate, and it's good to see the surgeries have gone well. But why can the blogger spell "palate" correctly in tags and headers, but not in the text of her post? 

Just now, paganbaby said:

One of her kids was born with a cleft lip and palate, and it's good to see the surgeries have gone well. But why can the blogger spell "palate" correctly in tags and headers, but not in the text of her post? 

Automatic population in the tags?

Where is her husband?!

Just now, nelliebelle1197 said:

Automatic population in the tags?

Where is her husband?!

I suspect someone helped her set up the blog, including the tags. I'd assume that was someone better at writing if it weren't for the heinous apostrophe abuse in the labels.

Also, her browser should flag "palet" as an incorrect spelling. Has no one explained what those red lines under words mean?

The About Me:

I am a saved born again Christian Independent Fundamental Baptist I believe that salvation is by grace through faith , plus nothing minus nothing and once saved always saved , king James only . I have 5 children they are Dallas (20) Riley (9) Leah (4) Job (3) Noah ( 3 mths. ) . I am a stay at home mom and I home school .

:my_cry: Huh? 

1 hour ago, church_of_dog said:

I have never seen anyone consistently put a space before commas and periods before.  It's apparently how she thinks it should be.

On the plus side, the apostrophes I saw just skimming the first few posts were used correctly -- including at least one IT'S!

Beyond that, this proofreader-dog needs to look away and sob quietly...

There was an apostrophe used to make "potato" plural. 

My former English teacher head is spinning from reading one page of that. 

........and yet I feel that these kids are getting a better education than the JRod kids and the invisible curriculum they use.

3 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

........and yet I feel that these kids are getting a better education than the JRod kids and the invisible curriculum they use.

If the books she's reading aloud to them are any indication, they are indeed. 

http://safewhereverigo.blogspot.com/2014/07/1st-grade-read-aloud-review.html

2 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

At the very least, they seem happy and she sees them as individuals. Her focus is on the kids themselves, not how she can show off the kids to prove she's the Best Mom Ever.

2 hours ago, SoGladIWasCofE said:

The complete lack of commas in her blog by line is alarming.

But then she has commas where they absolutely don't belong:

The Tractor show , we love Tractors and had so much fun this year .

Holy Comma Splice, Batman!

OK, wayyyyyyyy Olde Dinosaur here, and I am SEVERELY used to putting two spaces after a period and one after a comma, because Typewriter.

Spaces BEFORE commas?

Archived