IGNORED

Calling All Grammar Police!

nelliebelle1197

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was painful!  I could only subject myself to the horror for about 30 seconds. 

When I have had some adult beverages, I may wander back to review deeper.   THANK YOU for this  :)

Just now, SoGladIWasCofE said:

The complete lack of commas in her blog by line is alarming.

She makes up for that by sprinkling them everywhere else, whether they're called for or not. :?

She probably gets distracted , listening to PP's sermon's.

Um...oh my. It reads like slang..

"Noah is eating baby cereal now , but he don't like it , he fusses the whole time we try to feed him ."

I wonder how her 20 year old felt about her transitioning to born-again KJV-only fundie...there is an 11 year gap between the gaggle/quiver-in-progress. What heathen type debauchery was she up to prior to this life?!

I just figured out this nutjob lives near me- likely fewer than 2 hours away. Kristina, the Mortons and more. Dammit Janet.

I'm gonna preface this with a disclaimer.  I am not good with grammar.  However, even I can see what a hot mess this writing is.  

The comma splices!  The randomly capitalized nouns ("Tractor" being the most obvious).  To/too!  Or the most hillbilly-egregious, "He don't like it."  

It's awful, I couldn't even get through the first half-page.  Those poor children!  

Too many to count.  "here is some random pictures"   I seen a bookcase, he don't like it ....til he wore himself out.  She doesn't capitalize any words at the beginning of sentences, she uses commas instead of periods and puts a space a comma and another space before the run on sentence keeps on going.  She writes like a 4th grader, simple sentences, switches to a new statement without completing the first thought.  I could go on and on.  What's sad is each generation of fundies get a poorer education than their parent/teacher, those poor kids.  

I have never seen anyone consistently put a space before commas and periods before.  It's apparently how she thinks it should be.

On the plus side, the apostrophes I saw just skimming the first few posts were used correctly -- including at least one IT'S!

Beyond that, this proofreader-dog needs to look away and sob quietly...

Oh my. . :my_confused:

She was brainwashed by Planned Parenthood into thinking it was safe to use birth control, but then she was told the truth that all forms of birth control are actually abortions.  She has repented and knows she has babies waiting for her in heaven that she killed while she was on birth control. 

There does not seem to be a great deal of education going on in the blog posts about homeschooling. It looks like she might use Sonlight. Her oldest daughter graduated from a public highschool. 

2 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

@church_of_dog I guess you did not see "RECIPE'S"??

OUCH!  I missed that.  And probably a lot more.  :pb_cry:

Argh.  That is one of my pet peeves -- the blog has seven heading tabs, six of which are plurals that end in an S.  So why do two of those plurals have an apostrophe and the other four don't?  How does a person's thought processes go that they don't see the similarity and at least think they should all be the same?

It does remind me, in a sadly humorous way, of the local auto-repair shop with the hand-painted signs over the shop bay doors:  WE DO BRAKE'S TRANSMISSION'S SHOCK'S etc etc etc :bangheaddesk:

"I think the kids enjoyed these the most , I didn't do a very good job of cutting the potato's though but they still had fun."

Ouch. My soul. It burns.

20 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I have never seen anyone consistently put a space before commas and periods before.  It's apparently how she thinks it should be.

<snip>

Beyond that, this proofreader-dog needs to look away and sob quietly...

The space before commas and periods seem to pop up more and more in Millennial writing.  I blame the Internet (and those kids on my damn lawn!). The younger folk seem to believe these marks of punctuation need their own space.

But seriously, that is TERRIFYING.  Imagine what gems she is passing on to those kiddos.  Protected from the ebil guvmint, but at risk from seriously intellectually challenged parents...

ETA: gotta go wash my eyeballs now.  Thanks, FJ! (And thanks, Obama!)

We Had so much fun making our valentine boxes this year , and we got enough snow to have some snow cream , just like mamaw used to make me when I was a little girl , I miss her so much , our valentine boxes this year was robots . 

Does anyone remember Taryn (she of the breastfeeding monkey videos and sharpie-censored evil kitchen appliances)?

This was exactly how Taryn's stream of consciousness drivel used to read!  TARYN, IS IT YOU? 

And if so can you write some more to Zsuzsanna about evil Satanic breastfeeding monkey videos?  

1 minute ago, amandaaries said:

The space before commas and periods seem to pop up more and more in Millennial writing.  I blame the Internet (and those kids on my damn lawn!). The younger folk seem to believe these marks of punctuation need their own space.

Hmm, interesting.  When I was trying to think of a reasonable explanation for this, one thought I had was how sometimes in an email when one is typing a web address/URL at the end of a sentence, the period occasionally gets erroneously included in the link, which of course causes the link not to work, because .com is not the same as .com. -- I have occasionally put the period one space away just to avoid this happening.  I wonder if this is at least a part of how it's becoming a thing these days...

TARYN! COME BACK! @Boogalou AND THE REST OF US NEED YOU!

@formergothardite it also appears she uses "crafts" as a large part of her homeschooling as well.

Oh dear. Too much time doing crafts and not enough time spent learning grammar.

i have to admit thought that I am sometimes guilty of the space between the word and the comma.  It's not intentional though, it's a function of laziness, fat fingers, and my dodgy iPad keyboard.

True story - one of my brothers has his own business.  It's called Dons carpentry.  (Actually his name is not Don, and it's not carpentry, but you get the idea.) I tried to tell him at the time that there should be an apostrophe....

5 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Hmm, interesting.  When I was trying to think of a reasonable explanation for this, one thought I had was how sometimes in an email when one is typing a web address/URL at the end of a sentence, the period occasionally gets erroneously included in the link, which of course causes the link not to work, because .com is not the same as .com. -- I have occasionally put the period one space away just to avoid this happening.  I wonder if this is at least a part of how it's becoming a thing these days...

She seems too old to be affected by such things. I think she just does not have enough education herself to know any better. I don't feel sorry for her because she thinks she is capable of schooling four kids.

The oldest of the new crew seems to be haunted already - she is lovely and appears to play several instruments.

The family has also moved from a house to an apartment in the last few months. So yeah, let's keep mom at home, having babies and "schooling" the so the little ones have even less.

1 minute ago, church_of_dog said:

Possibly!  It honestly leaves me a bit confused, as I'll receive papers where within a paragraph, a line is started by a stray comma.  Where's your parent, comma?  To what are you attached? Yet there are few answers for such simple questions...  But it truly appears to be a component of the writing of some millennials.  I am starting to think of the Internet as the Wild West, where just about anything goes, and then developing writers adopt this tactic, which appears "natural" to them.    

2 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

TARYN! COME BACK! @Boogalou AND THE REST OF US NEED YOU!

@formergothardite it also appears she uses "crafts" as a large part of her homeschooling as well.

For comparison of similarities, I give you the following from Taryn:

"I even took a permanent marker and crossed out the word-magic- on a Magic Chef kitchen appliance that was in our house when we moved here and plan on replacing anyway. We are Creationists and hope to visit the Ceation Museum in Kentucky soon. Magicians is in the same catagory as astrologers in the KJV Bible. Magic and astrology are in the same catagory."

Archived