IGNORED

Best Friends Animal Society/Process Church of the Final Judgement

bionicmlle

@PennySycamore We have some pretty deep pockets who care a lot about animals, so we've got more funding than a state like Louisiana does. For example, the owners of a grocery store chain (locations in multiple states) generously fund animal rescue causes.

The SPCA I linked to above also worked with owners of a local mall and after the (puppy mill) pet store's lease was terminated, the mall donated them the space and now it is a 2nd adoption center (with about a dozen or so animals at any given time).  They also sell pet accessories (treats, toys, collars, etc), SPCA merchandise (t-shirts, magnets, etc) at the mall location as fundraisers.

There's another NY based rescue that (used to?) has mobile rescue trucks and they will go to the deep south and take animals on death row and adopt them to wealthier New Yorkers.  They have some criticism (as do all organizations) but they do some good work too (North Shore Animal League).

It's been years since I've been active in the animal rescue community, so my info might not be 100% accurate.

@19 cats and counting, our local shelter works with North Shore, I think, and maybe other rescue groups from the northeast. Our shelter had a fairly high kill rate at one time, but no more; their save rate is 90% or better.   One of my neighbors recently fostered two different dogs that went to their forever homes in Vermont.  I'm not a good foster mom as I get too attached.  I fostered two kittens 11 years ago, kept one and my daughter adopted the other one.

On 5/7/2016 at 5:22 PM, bionicmlle said:

Most of us are probably familiar with Best Friends Animal Society and their shelter in Kanab, UT as well as their work to further animal welfare.  In doing a little reading, however, it turns out they were originally started from a splinter group from the Scientology church -- a group of SPs who apparently had ties to Satan worship.  

Kanab, UT/Scientology/Satan.   What the heck?  None of these things belong together.  How the HECK did any Scientologists end up in Kanab, in the heart of conservative Mormondom?  

On 6/23/2016 at 3:14 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

I knew several people who chose a breeder because they thought rescues were damaged goods (sort of like a fundie bride who is not a virgin).  

But these people I knew were the same type of people who would snark on someone if they were driving the wrong brand of car, wearing the wrong brand of clothes, etc.  In other words people who cared about flaunting their wealth (whether or not they or Visa paid for it).

I'm passionate about pet rescue.  However, the two kitties I've owned (or have owned me) have come from relatives (or friends of) who's cat had an accidental litter (in one case, the vet appointment to fix Mom was made and she was already pregnant).  Unless I come across kittens this way, my next kitty will be an SPCA one.

(I like dogs but they're not right for my lifestyle and prefer cats).

ETA My local SPCA is one of the best in the region.  Right now they're handling a dog hoarding case that made national news (front page of my Huffington Post app).  http://monmouthcountyspca.org/

I have two Saint Bernards, one I got from a breeder as a puppy and one is an adoption. After I had my first saint I started fostering with a saint rescue group. I give myself credit for getting to the third foster before becoming a foster failure and keeping him. I adore giant breeds and they can be much harder to handle and place than many of the more reasonably sized breeds/mixes so I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds for me. 

As for the snob appeal of a pure breed... both of mine are "pure" and both have major health issues. My foster failure also had significant behavior issues that we are still slowly but surely working through. 

Next dog I get, will be pure bred, and I will pay any amount of money and go around the world for puppy if necessary. Shelters will get money and goods, and work from me, but I don't think I will ever adopt again. 
My adopted mixed bred dog is great and practically perfect for me, but she has allergies and low immunity and a few weeks ago was diagnosed with inherited elbow dysplasia, so. 
I know, I know, pure breed dogs are not refrigerators, no one can guarantee anything, but planned breeding and health tests do reduce chances.

I am very involved with animal rescue here in Los Angeles. I've actually volunteered with Best Friends for the past 5 years. I know many of the founders in Kanab and work several times a week at the L.A adoption center. I have heard about the background of BFAS, but I don't believe, to my knowledge (and personal relationships with the founders, that any of them are involved with any sort of "religion" or with the Process Church. 

A few notes on things that have been commented on. HSUS changed their tune about the Michael Vick dogs after many of them were successfully rescued. Check out the new documentary The Champions that is on Netflix. So good! I agree with everything that people have said about PETA. They are awful. 

I have several friends who work here in L.A about ASPCA. Know that your local SPCAs are generally note associated with ASPCA. We have a SPCA here in L.A that has nothing to do with ASPCA and I believe that is pretty common. So do you research before making that assumption/donation! 

I don't have a problem with people going to breeders. We only need 3% of people to choose adoption instead of getting their pet from somewhere else to end shelter overpopulation in our country. It's very do-able. We are fairly close to making L.A no-kill (with the cooperation of dozens of rescue groups and organizations in L.A). However, if any of you gets your dog/cat from a petstore, then I have a problem. I guarantee that your animal came from a puppy mill and is much more likely to have a variety of health problems (not to mention, the abuse that takes place). No matter what the pet stores say, they absolutely come from puppy mills. Even if they are "USDA" certified. That means nothing. And generally mutts are more healthy than purebreds---despite personal experiences that may say otherwise. That tends to be the minority of animals. 

Archived