IGNORED

New article on IFB "girls' homes" in July Mother Jones

mirele

Heads up...I haven't seen this yet, but I wanted to let you all know. Links not broken, these guys will not mind.

From The Revealer (http://therevealer.org/) newsletter that I just got:

Former Revealer managing editor Kathryn Joyce has an important article, “Escape from Missouri,†in the July/August issue of Mother Jones. Read more about it here. Buy it on newsstands today.

So yeah, not yet online.

But, here's an additional description from the Fallen From Grace blog:

The July/August 2011 issue of Mother Jones Magazine has a blockbuster feature article written by Kathryn Joyce titled Escape From Missouri (Girls locked up inside religious compounds. Kandahar? No, Missouri.) It is not yet available online. I received my print copy in today’s mail.

Joyce’s article rips the scab off the festering wound of Independent Fundamentalist Baptist group homes. She rightly details the history of these homes starting with Lester Roloff all the way to the present hour. Two of the regular commenters on this blog, Cat Givens, and Teresa Frye and mentioned in the article. I want to commend them for their boldness and courage. I am proud of their unwillingness to be silenced. Joyce’s article adds confirmation and depth to the recent 20/20 expose on this subject.

I want to express my gratitude to Kathryn Joyce for her willingness to tackle this subject. I am sure it was not easy trying to verify the facts of the story. After all, the people who operates these types of Christian group homes are experts in hiding the truth. When Jack Hyles defended his involvement in a sex scandal many years ago he said “if you didn’t see it, it didn’t happenâ€. The group homes mentioned by Joyce live by this principle.. If it can’t be proved it didn’t happen.

Once the article is available on-line I plan to write more on this subject.

http://fallenfromgrace.net/2011/06/17/j ... -magazine/

I knew someone who went to the Roloff "girls' home" in 1978. She was more rebellious than her older sister, but not THAT rebellious. She told me she figured out how to work the system so she could get sprung faster...and she couldn't wait until she turned 18. But it was crap then and as we know, it's crap now.

Somebody on facebook is trying to scan the article into a readable format. I'll post a link when it's up.

Both my sister & I spent time in these girl's homes, and I'm glad to see people exposing them. Of course, too many IFB are circling the wagons and trying to protect them, but there are both pastors and laypeople in the churches who are starting to ask questions and refusing to support the worse ones. Maybe now enough pressure can be brought both from the government and child services and from the churches and parents who support these places to shut them down or demand openness, accountability, and an end to the abuse.

As I'm reading - and rather frozen in horror - I remember that Cedar Kelly's father and mother ran a boys' training home that was flattened by the tornado. Am I remembering right?

Also, ETA a "wait, what?" moment: The first survivor mentioned in the article, Roxy, was the victim of a gang rape, probably lost her virginity there. So she starts to act out so her mom sends her to The Bad Girls' Reform Ranch.

Did her mom not think to get her counseling, at home? I'm not asking pedantically -- I'm wondering if maybe IFB crosses that line into Eastern religious thinking where anything bad that happens to a person, even a reasonably innocent person like a 17-year-old vigin out for a jog, is bad karma come back to bite them in the ass from an earlier life.

Or is it just typical "blame the female victim" attitude? Does anyone know? Thanks for any insights, srsly. (not in a Ben Botkin way)

Also, ETA a "wait, what?" moment: The first survivor mentioned in the article, Roxy, was the victim of a gang rape, probably lost her virginity there. So she starts to act out so her mom sends her to The Bad Girls' Reform Ranch.

Did her mom not think to get her counseling, at home? I'm not asking pedantically -- I'm wondering if maybe IFB crosses that line into Eastern religious thinking where anything bad that happens to a person, even a reasonably innocent person like a 17-year-old vigin out for a jog, is bad karma come back to bite them in the ass from an earlier life.

Or is it just typical "blame the female victim" attitude? Does anyone know? Thanks for any insights, srsly. (not in a Ben Botkin way)

A lot of IFB churches (not all) are against psychology & counseling other than going to the pastor. Considering most of the pastors are untrained or only have attended unaccredited Bible colleges with no real training in pastoral counseling, a lot of times they are not qualified to give that sort of help. There seems to be this attitude with a lot of people that any sort of misbehavior or sin, even if it is acting out because of trauma, is some sort of rebellion that can be beaten or "trained" out of a person, so a lot of pastors will assume that a child is acting out because the parent can't handle them and recommend that they be placed in one of these homes.

Several of the girls I met were there, in part or in whole, because they had been raped or molested. I remember one girl in particular who was basically sent away until adulthood because her father was molesting her and her mother wanted to get her out of the picture. With my family, my sister was sent to Rebekah (then moved to Jubliee) because she was pregnant and they took her daughter away. I was sent to New Bethany (then to New Beginnings) because I had ran away to avoid this same boyfriend's advances. The whole experience just really messed with me and, after being allowed home, I got shipped off again because my mom didn't like my attitude and thought I was still in "rebellion" (I was just really hurt that she could send us away like that, and some of the stuff I went through made me hate her and God both for a long time).

A lot of IFB churches (not all) are against psychology & counseling other than going to the pastor. Considering most of the pastors are untrained or only have attended unaccredited Bible colleges with no real training in pastoral counseling, a lot of times they are not qualified to give that sort of help. There seems to be this attitude with a lot of people that any sort of misbehavior or sin, even if it is acting out because of trauma, is some sort of rebellion that can be beaten or "trained" out of a person, so a lot of pastors will assume that a child is acting out because the parent can't handle them and recommend that they be placed in one of these homes.

Several of the girls I met were there, in part or in whole, because they had been raped or molested. I remember one girl in particular who was basically sent away until adulthood because her father was molesting her and her mother wanted to get her out of the picture. With my family, my sister was sent to Rebekah (then moved to Jubliee) because she was pregnant and they took her daughter away. I was sent to New Bethany (then to New Beginnings) because I had ran away to avoid this same boyfriend's advances. The whole experience just really messed with me and, after being allowed home, I got shipped off again because my mom didn't like my attitude and thought I was still in "rebellion" (I was just really hurt that she could send us away like that, and some of the stuff I went through made me hate her and God both for a long time).

Aw, Raine! My heart's aching for you and your sister. Wish there were a one-on-one hug smiley. That had to be heck to go through and now to write it all out ... I sure appreciate the insights. These people must be countered!!! :|

Hi, everyone. I sincerely appreciate the interest in Kathryn Joyce's piece in Mother Jones "Escape From Missouri". The way this story came about to be published is in itself a story. It took more than 2 yrs. To get it into print.

I know the topic of this thread refers to "girls homes", but keep in mind that the facilities for boys are every bit as horrible.

If I could share something about how this story came about:

If you haven't read the article yet, remember the name "Guy". Michael Guy Richardson was from Lodi, NJ. A search ensued for Guy after he disappeared into thin air after a terrible beating he suffered at the New Bethany Boys Home in Longstreet, La. My friend and fellow New Bethany survivor, James wrote about what happened:

http://newbethanysurvivors.multiply.com ... ew_Bethany

As well as my friend (also a New Bethany survivor) Clark:

http://clarkword.com/blogs/?p=6

To sum it up, our group of five decided that people had to BE TOLD what really goes on in these type places, and Kathryn Joyce wanted to know more.

Any help in increasing awareness about these "christian kid prisons" iis much appreciated.

With gratitude,

Teresa Frye

New Bethany 1982

Tbird, welcome!

Generation Cedar Kelly's folks do run "Alpha Ranch" for "boys making a difficult transition into adultedhood." Right now the focus is on rebuilding it. And there were boys in residence when the tornado hit, and they were with Kelly and family in her basement during the storm.

Would be interesting to know more about its reputation and history some time.

alpharanchbuilders.com/

The Mother Jones article is up and available.

http://motherjones.com/toc/2011/07

You have to sign up for the newsletter to see it now. It is outstandingly well done. I am married to the last quoted victim so I have a vested interest. Please read.

Yeay Mailman -- If you're who I think you are -- the other MailMan from the FFF? I was UnderMuchGrace before we were raptured. Who knows who or where I am now.

Are you all in good shape for the shape you're in at home? Haven't heard from anyone in a couple weeks -- assume you're overcome by events. If you are THE MailMan?

Heads up...I haven't seen this yet, but I wanted to let you all know. Links not broken, these guys will not mind.

From The Revealer (http://therevealer.org/) newsletter that I just got:

So yeah, not yet online.

But, here's an additional description from the Fallen From Grace blog:

http://fallenfromgrace.net/2011/06/17/j ... -magazine/

I knew someone who went to the Roloff "girls' home" in 1978. She was more rebellious than her older sister, but not THAT rebellious. She told me she figured out how to work the system so she could get sprung faster...and she couldn't wait until she turned 18. But it was crap then and as we know, it's crap now.

Raine - the suffering you and your sister have had to endure is beyond fair or loving. i'm so sorry for all you've been through and agree that these people must be countered.

I will send this article to everyone i know, in hopes of making something change, somewhere.

MamaJunebug & Love,

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm glad to see this getting such widespread coverage, even if it does bring up a lot of stuff. There have been attempts in the past to shut down and expose these homes, but it seems like they may be more successful now because people are less likely to allow abusers to hide behind the name of religion. Also, more survivors are older now and more likely to be listened to - it's harder to ignore us as a bunch of "bad kids with problems" when you have grown men and women coming forward about the abuse they suffered (especially when some of these include pastor's wives and men in ministry themselves).

I got a call from a woman at my church earlier last week who was in one of the same homes as me, although years earlier. It seems that there may be an investigation going on into some of the people connected to that home. It's been shut down for years, but reopened after at least one closing, so it would be nice to see the man responsible answer for the things he did.

I hope this makes some parents reconsider to, and some of these places that are still open get shut down. Not too long ago, one mother posted on a board I'm a member of (FFF) asking for info about the one I was in in my late teens. After several people replied, including women who had experienced the "girl's homes" first hand, it came out that she had already sent her daughter there. I did talk to her some in PM about what to look for and her her daughter wouldn't be allowed to tell her anything bad about the place on the phone or in person, but I don't know if I got through to her or not. It makes me sick to think of how many girls and boys are still out their alone and possibly being abused right now, and how so many churches and supposed Christians are helping to support it and cover it up.

My mom has also apologized again after seeing the 20/20 special and then hearing about this from my aunt. I think she still didn't really believe my sister and I about things until she heard it confirmed by the media. I don't know if she'll ever really get it, but it's hard to blame her because she sort of got sucked into fundiedom at the same time (my dad was overseas and some of her coworkers convinced her we were all bound for hell and she needed to do something right then to "save" us).

Thank you so much Mother Jones and Kathryn Joyce, fortaking the time to listen and believe "Our Stories" I am a Survivor of New Bethany Homes for Girls and Boys, and one of the five that returned last year for a reunion. Although it has been many years since I was at the home, it has effected me everyday of my life, since I first walked through the gates. It has taken me a long time to get to where I am today, and to be able to be there and reach ot to those, who are still on their way. Don't get me wrong, there are still many night where I have what I call Night terrors. where you are locked up with those people as an adult, and can't get out. But for the most part I feel not so crazy as I used to be. lol

There is so much more to the story, than anyone but us even know, and hopefully some day it will all come out and so many victims can finally get the Justice they so deserve. Thank you again for everything you have done the article is Amazing.

Dwayne Walker's book is now available on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Our-Pastor-Molest ... 1461122805

"The fifteen year old girl became pregnant and was forced to apologize in front of the church congregation. Chuck Phelps, her pastor, told Tina she was lucky she didn't live in Old Testament times or she would have been stoned."

"...'Brother P' was trained by Lester Roloff as was Mack Ford of the New Bethany Homes. Both men would be accused of rape and abuse. State authorities would eventually shut down their homes."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also another commentary just posted:

The Wages of Welfare Privatization: Fundamentalist US 'Reform" Schools

http://gaynz.com/blog/redqueen/archives/1083

We appreciate any help in keeping the buzz going about this.....

In closing, I encourage everyone to check out, and JOIN SIA (Survivors of Institutional Abuse), mentioned in the article "Escape From Missouri".

http://sia-now.org/news.php

Blessings on ALL!

Yeay Mailman -- If you're who I think you are -- the other MailMan from the FFF? I was UnderMuchGrace before we were raptured. Who knows who or where I am now.

Are you all in good shape for the shape you're in at home? Haven't heard from anyone in a couple weeks -- assume you're overcome by events. If you are THE MailMan?

I am guilty of being the MailMan. I was shocked when the old FJ sine was down. When Mother Jones's article came out I knew this would be a good forum for it. The article is so good I have been shoving written copies in everyone's faces up here.

Susan has been sidelined since her illness but she greatly appreciates the support and love she has received. This is tough on her, as it is will so many of the Survivors. The article did such a good job of showing just how easily the abusers have continued to operate and avoid prosecution. Heartbreaking.

Archived