IGNORED

Adding a new puppy...2 boys???

Koala

So we have been courting the idea of getting a new puppy for at least a year.  We've nearly followed through a couple of times, but both my husband and I have a tendency to overthink things.  We have a West German Shepherd that we've had since he was 8 weeks.  He'll be 3 in July.  

We are at the point where we know we'd like another, however, (and I know this will sound beyond silly), Janak isn't neutered.  My breeder didn't want him neutered before 18 months and now I don't have the heart to put him through surgery.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but the thought of it almost makes me sick.  

We had thought of just getting another boy, but we're concerned about all of the articles that suggest 2 boys will end up fighting.  

Suggestions please?  

MOST of the time, two boys is doable. It's easier if they're neutered, but still doable. 

That said, with GSDs, some lines are very prone to same sex aggression. I'd talk to your breeder about her recommendation. I'm not super familiar with West German lines (my GSD was all DDR and most of my friends have Czech lines) so I would start there- and I'd be prepared to neuter one or both boys if you saw any signs of tension betwen them down the road. 

In my experience males get along better than females although a mixed pair has the best odds.  Personality is a better predictor than whether or not they are neutered although, again, you increase your odds of keeping it peaceful by neutering at least one, ideally both.

I was reading something the other week on my greyhound forum that said that the current research doesn't support a link between neutering and aggression. ie, neutering or not neutering your dog won't have an impact on "aggressive" behavior.

I can't speak from personal experience as all of my dogs have had the snip, but it seems like there is a school of thought that leans towards not neutering dogs, for the overall health of the pet. I do understand this would be potentially very problematic with a male/female pairing though.

Archived